Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ldbh1uo13ciki1lkvnz0.gif

oxtbpnk5ko4muruiyuid.gif

izzqxg3wj4nav4qbhgyt.gif

kviqmdnismrznvlxbyjm.gif

amcafdtxykngjxoh9hxi.gif

Dat Symmetra. Although a gorilla that never asked for this is cool too.

Destroid

Arcane
Design wise this looks like absolute ass compared to TF2. There's no unifying style in the character designs, just a random collection of cartoony elements.

(Sadly TF2 doesn't look as good as it used to due to the weird hats etc. that valve has filled the game with compared to the clean design of vanilla, but it's still a lot more coherent than Blizzard's newest mess)

I dunno how the gameplay of this game will compare with TF2, but if it's going to focus on spamming speshul abilities rather than good old twitch skills it's probably going to suck.

Agreed, the art direction here is pretty terrible, especially the clusterfuck of MMO styled multicoloured effects going off everywhere, just looks terrible.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Looks like it could be a lot of fun, even if IMBALANCE!!!1

Didn't watch cinematic trailer. But I'm happy to have something that isn't too serious, so the game can actually have interesting maps with castles and temples and platforms and shit, which it otherwise wouldn't because it would break teh immersion.

I also like Blizzard's new direction of making smaller games instead of some huge project.

m_s0

Arcane
LoL made 624 millions in 2013,a South Korean game called Crossfire made 957 millions,another South Korean game called Dungeon Fighter made 1.4 billions,TF2 made 139$ millions,WoW made 213 millions just through microtransactions too
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/le...r-2013-total-624-million-update/1100-6417224/
And those numbers are increasing:

http://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-has-made-almost-1-billion-in-microtransactions/
League of Legends pulled in an estimated $964 million between January and September of this year, according to SuperData research (via VentureBeat), making the magical $1 billion mark almost a sure thing. And it's not alone: Last year's first-place finisher, the military FPS CrossFire, is at $897 million, Nexon's Dungeon Fighter Online is sitting at $891 million, and World of Warcraft has brought in $728 million. All them have a good shot at making it over the hump.
Man, those devs sure are dumb.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
LoL made 624 millions in 2013,a South Korean game called Crossfire made 957 millions,another South Korean game called Dungeon Fighter made 1.4 billions,TF2 made 139$ millions,WoW made 213 millions just through microtransactions too
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/le...r-2013-total-624-million-update/1100-6417224/
And those numbers are increasing:

http://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-has-made-almost-1-billion-in-microtransactions/
League of Legends pulled in an estimated $964 million between January and September of this year, according to SuperData research (via VentureBeat), making the magical $1 billion mark almost a sure thing. And it's not alone: Last year's first-place finisher, the military FPS CrossFire, is at $897 million, Nexon's Dungeon Fighter Online is sitting at $891 million, and World of Warcraft has brought in $728 million. All them have a good shot at making it over the hump.
Man, those devs sure are dumb.

There are some interesting numbers in the article you quoted

Also noteworthy is just how badly League of Legends is trouncing the other big free-to-play games in North American, Dota 2 and Hearthstone. Both made the list, but way, way back in the pack: Dota 2 is at number nine with $136 million in revenues, while Hearthstone brought up the rear with $114 million. I'm not going to shed too many tears for either of them, but it's a remarkable gap between them.

I didn't think the difference would be that huge considering that DOTA 2 is the most popular online game in Steam and Hearthstone is pretty big too,of course like they said in the article those are numbers from the pc market only so Hearthstone might be getting quite a few millions from the mobile versions

abija

Prophet
Agreed, the art direction here is pretty terrible, especially the clusterfuck of MMO styled multicoloured effects going off everywhere, just looks terrible.
Yeah, clean levels with toned down colors and vibrant ones for players and their skills, what could be more wrong. It's like the devs want you to easily distinguish what is going on. The outrage...

BTW, fast paced shooters with 6+ players ARE clusterfucks by default, nothing to do with MMOs. It's been this way since goold old Q3/UT days including the color of skins/projectiles which need to be easy to see.

Zeriel

Arcane
Looks cool, I like the Team Fortress 2 inspired gameplay. The art style isn't my thing but I might give it a play once it's out.

I do wonder how much of the canceled Titan ended up in this game though.

I thought it was obvious this is 99% cancelled Titan assets. Blizzard is slow. There's no way they just conjured up a whole prototype this advanced out of the blue, and there was zero implication they were working on anything big other than Titan in this area.

It's old hat, too. "Blockbuster game of huge scope repurposed into a disposable arena shooter" is starting to become a trope. First there was Nosgoth. Now this. I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

I might have played a new Blizzard MMO but my interest level in this is approximately zero.

abija

Prophet
Look at some Firefall concept art and ingame character avatars, hell of a coincidence...

Machocruz

Arcane
Animu + CalArts style = two of the worst things that happened to western character design rolled into one legume studded log of shit.

St. Toxic

Arcane
BTW, fast paced shooters with 6+ players ARE clusterfucks by default, nothing to do with MMOs. It's been this way since goold old Q3/UT days including the color of skins/projectiles which need to be easy to see.

But in this case, if you actually want to play at a semi-competitive level, you need to know what's going on and what the characters you're facing might be up to. TF2 has a practically self-explanatory system in place, but this... For instance, what was the purpose of the rotating-balls character from MGS? Was that gameplay trailer the full extent of the character's specialization? You can't seriously be comparing this to UT/Quake.

Israfael

Arcane
When Metzen said that this game makes him 'channel his inner 6 year old', i shuddered... I love TF2, but i really doubt blizzard would be able to copy it and keep the balance right, considering what's happened in WoW PVP for the last 5 years or so...

Zeriel

Arcane
When Metzen said that this game makes him 'channel his inner 6 year old', i shuddered... I love TF2, but i really doubt blizzard would be able to copy it and keep the balance right, considering what's happened in WoW PVP for the last 5 years or so...

At least unlike WoW they won't be able to trot out the "lol we don't care about pvp balance" excuse. Will be interesting to see what go-to excuse they use in a game that is exclusively PVP.

Renegen

Arcane
Has there ever been a pay-to-win game that succeeded on a large scale? Blizzard can't be that dumb...can they?

Hearthstone made them around $200 million last year.

It's sad how bad taste asians have, Dungeon Fighter is complete shit and Crossfire I believe is some bad CS P2W ripoff.

abija

Prophet
At least unlike WoW they won't be able to trot out the "lol we don't care about pvp balance" excuse. Will be interesting to see what go-to excuse they use in a game that is exclusively PVP.
Erm what? Excuse was already used :D It's the same bypass used by fighter games, you can pick anything hence hero balance is desirable but not mandatory.

AMG

Arbiter
And here I am still hoping for Wacraft 4 :rage:
They would just fuck it up anyway.
Besides it will probably come in 5 or 6 years, when SC2 dies down completely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom