Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

I doubt it. The RTS genre really isn't very profitable.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'd love to see a Warcraft IV about as much as Alpha Centauri 2: Zilch.

They'd just fuck it up. But at the very least they could remaster the first three games, although there's a good chance they'd just fuck that job up, too.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Warcraft III was already a fuck up, at least lore and story wise. Game was good though. Probably the first time i noticed a decline in Blizzard. Starcraft and Brood War were excellent all around, story included.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Warcraft III was already a fuck up, at least lore and story wise.
You're joking. You may not like it, but Warcraft III created like 95% of the current Warcraft lore. If anything, it was Blizzard's greatest creative burst. For the past decade WoW has been nothing but "let's milk out everything we did on WIII".

Now they sucked it so dry they had to go back to WII, but...

Zeriel

Arcane
Warcraft III was already a fuck up, at least lore and story wise.
You're joking. You may not like it, but Warcraft III created like 95% of the current Warcraft lore. If anything, it was Blizzard's greatest creative burst. For the past decade WoW has been nothing but "let's milk out everything we did on WIII".

Now they sucked it so dry they had to go back to WII, but...

It drastically changed the mood/themes of the series, so I can understand people considering it creatively bankrupt from a certain standpoint (what they really mean is "I don't like the creative direction", and I am among those people).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik

Bliizzard even have their own Gabe
B2A3mApCAAA8Nf7.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You may not like it, but Warcraft III created like 95% of the current Warcraft lore

So what, its just shit lore. Warcraft 2 was a lot better in most respects. Even minor things like the humorous lines the individuals units would spout if clicked on continuously were not as funny in the sequel. The writing was just average all around, and sometimes just plain bad, like in the confrontation between Arthas and Illidan, which had some truly cringe worthy dialog.

Of course, gameplay wise Warcraft 3 was superior in every way but that's only because Warcraft 2 was made at a time where the RTS genre was still very primitive, and where net play was still relatively young.

Also, the cinematics were full of derp compared to their previous games. Not Warcraft 2 obviously but certainly Starcraft and Diablo. They were no wear near as horrible as their current cinematics but you could see the change was already happening.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, the big change can be seen in how in Diablo 1 & 2, Starcraft and Warcraft 1 & 2 you're just a nameless joe, doing your part as an adventurer/commander. Your fight was just one among many happening in this vast, mysterious universe.

From Warcraft 3 and onwards you're always a powerful hero like Thrall / Kerrigan / Arthas, etc... or the chosen one in Diablo III, that will take part in every event and SAVE TEH UNIVERSE!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/12/7532807/blizzards-overwatch-hits-copyright-problem

Blizzard's Overwatch hits trademark problem

When Blizzard announced Overwatch at BlizzCon last year, the news was met with much excitement.

Overwatch is a team-based multiplayer first-person shooter from the makers of World of Warcraft. It's the developer's first new property in years.

But the project has run into an unexpected problem with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). According to documents posted on NeoGAF today, the USPTO has suspended Blizzard's application for a trademark for Overwatch, due to "a likelihood of confusion" with a previously registered trademark.

That trademark is also being sought by Innovis Labs, which uses it for an app that offers "a tactical utility to enhance airsoft, paintball and first-person shooter gameplay events." Both applications are therefore within the broad realm of gaming.

Innovis' blurb states that its Overwatch is "inspired by classic first-person shooter video games." Its application has also been suspended. Blizzard's trademark is currently listed as active, but this may be due to the suspension notice only recently being posted. It's likely that both companies are seeking more evidence to support their own claims.

Polygon has contacted Blizzard and Innovis for comment. We'll update as soon we we hear back from either company.

lolwut

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Usually the first to file gets priority unless it's a sham/they have no plans to use it. Likely outcome is Blizzard pays them off. Anyway, I thought Overwatch was a pretty generic/bland name for an IP.

AMG

Arbiter
You're probably thinking of Overstrike. It got renamed to something else and is often shown as an example of what happens when publisher has too much influence on development.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Blizzard announced two new characters, the first of which is McCree, who wears a belt that says "BAMF." He's the "ultimate futuristic gunslinger,"

McCree wields a peacekeep revolver that is deadly at short range and is also capable of sniping enemies from afar. His super-ability, meanwhile, is called "Deadeye." This allows McCree to target multiple enemies simultaneously, killing them all--when locked on--with a single shot.

The other new Overwatch character announced today was Zarya, the game's first female tank character. According to Blizzard, Zarya originally wanted to be a weightlifting champion, but she later enlisted in battle to fight for the freedom of her world.

U7s7p4i.jpg

McCree
Zarya

Mad_Dog_McCree_cover.jpg
vs average soviet housewife or her (except Zangief's scar).

Are they sure that new cowboy overshadow another touch of feminism? We'll see soon 2 years before Grimoire release.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm pretty sure this game will flop.

The secret behind TF2 is Steam. Without Steam there wouldn't be no TF2, Dota2 or CS:GO success stories. Also the maximum peak for TF2 is 100.000 players.

Blizzard launched BattleNet in 1996 but failed to capitalized on its potential. Steam launched in 2003 and is now several times bigger.

I simply cannot see the fuss about this game. It's like DOA.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
This is an opportunistic game made off the scraps of a discarded MMO for that P2W cha-ching to fund other games. I wouldn't put it as a first class Blizzard member, same as I wouldn't with Hearthstone or their other shitty MOBA.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
The decline started with War3. Shitty plot. Shitty graphics. Lol-worthy strategy.

Marobug

Diablo III is far from flawless, but it's pretty decent now.
"Decline" is a relative term, when it comes to shitting gold, Blizzard are still as good as ever, if not even better than before.
Who else could ask a couple of interns to make a by the numbers card trading game with unity in a couple of months and not only get away with it but also make millions with it?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Who else could ask a couple of interns to make a by the numbers card trading game with unity in a couple of months and not only get away with it but also make millions with it?
That ¡s an understatement and you know it. Let's be fair, the game is well designed for shitplaying, stable and well publitized. Just not good enough to foster real competition.

He's a talk about how the design took almost a year of iteration while they were waiting for programmers: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/224101/Video_Building_the_AI_for_Hearthstone.php

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom