Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm late to the party, but I just watched the player class video from start to finish. Way, way, WAY too many gimmicky kills and abilities. Most FPS games still come down to core gun type kills, so I'm guessing they added these so "everyone can get a kill." I'm not sure I want to play a game where someone can mash a button and kill everything around them. Pyros at least had to have some aim, but a big monkey that runs around and just shocks everything in front of it? Ugh...

I even watched the gameplay video here. I timed it. It is fully at the 6:15 mark that someone actually takes aim with a weapon and kills another player. I waited for that, and I can't watch anymore, but I'll admit they may have edited out boring old gun kills to make it more awesome. Everything else was rocket barrage, tesla coil, sentry kills, special lockdowns, etc. However, the Spectre guy running around with a gun never killed anyone except with his wicked finished move that kills things for him.

Think they are trying to create a FPS for those who like the excitement of FPS games, but aren't that good. However, if those who like FPS games were to take an interest in this game, it would drive away the casuals. The market probably needs a game like this, but I just don't think that arcade-esqe elements are what FPS games need.

Also, I'll just say it: I think the scale is way off. Things are too big. Kind of makes me think they didn't think it through when some of the players are 2x the size of others.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The sad thing is I'm still going to play it no matter what Blizzard does because I'm so starved for another ET/TF-style game. That's right I know right now that ultimate abilities will make the game shit and I still can't help myself.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
I'm late to the party, but I just watched the player class video from start to finish. Way, way, WAY too many gimmicky kills and abilities. Most FPS games still come down to core gun type kills, so I'm guessing they added these so "everyone can get a kill." I'm not sure I want to play a game where someone can mash a button and kill everything around them. Pyros at least had to have some aim, but a big monkey that runs around and just shocks everything in front of it? Ugh...

I even watched the gameplay video here. I timed it. It is fully at the 6:15 mark that someone actually takes aim with a weapon and kills another player. I waited for that, and I can't watch anymore, but I'll admit they may have edited out boring old gun kills to make it more awesome. Everything else was rocket barrage, tesla coil, sentry kills, special lockdowns, etc. However, the Spectre guy running around with a gun never killed anyone except with his wicked finished move that kills things for him.

Think they are trying to create a FPS for those who like the excitement of FPS games, but aren't that good. However, if those who like FPS games were to take an interest in this game, it would drive away the casuals. The market probably needs a game like this, but I just don't think that arcade-esqe elements are what FPS games need.

Also, I'll just say it: I think the scale is way off. Things are too big. Kind of makes me think they didn't think it through when some of the players are 2x the size of others.

Blizzard specializes in copying popualr games and adding polish and more of a fun element, then releasing it just as the previous game has been out for a long time and stealing it's player base. So yeah, they copied TF2 for this. I actually like the fact that there is no leveling of heroes, and like TF2 you start off with all the core stuff. Evens the field more.

The Reaper's ultimate was said even by online review rags to be a bit overpowered, as the reaper can teleport into an enemy group and trigger his ultimate, immediately taking out like 4-5 enemies at once. That's how the class is designed. Ofcourse they are still tinkering, and open beta has yet to happen and a lot of shit will change based on it, kind of like how in Hearthstone entire cards were changed/removed, but right now the Reaper is basically a glass cannon designed to sacrifice itself and take out as many enemies as possible in a newbie friendly way that any 5 yr old can do.

Hanzo the archer seems to be the most mobile of the bunch; like you said he can climb walls. However a previewer had a problem with him saying if even a small corner of the ledge interrupts Hanzo while wall climbing he falls off immediately. His ultimate also takes a long time to charge up and while that happens he is stationery.

There is no spy but more Heroes are being revealed. We will certainly get a spy type. I personally really like the force-field mechanic some classes have, I just hope it plays well. Hypothetically, a force field ability on a weak glass cannon type would be great, allowing for varying play styles.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
There's a Beta? Is it normal open beta when I just have to sign-up, or one of these lottery betas where you have to wait for them to invite you?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The Reaper's ultimate was said even by online review rags to be a bit overpowered, as the reaper can teleport into an enemy group and trigger his ultimate, immediately taking out like 4-5 enemies at once. That's how the class is designed. Ofcourse they are still tinkering, and open beta has yet to happen and a lot of shit will change based on it, kind of like how in Hearthstone entire cards were changed/removed, but right now the Reaper is basically a glass cannon designed to sacrifice itself and take out as many enemies as possible in a newbie friendly way that any 5 yr old can do.

I don't have a problem with the characters so much as lockdowns and a staggering amount of "insta-kill" abilities that require no aim. I'm trying to think of a FPS that has abilities that just kill without the player having to do something skillful. The spectre ultimate kills in a huge radius in a non-skillful manner. The gripe with this (so far) it would appear that you can get kills without having to take aim at the other player or do anything in particular. I'm trying to find a similar FPS with attacks like this, and I just can't think of one. That's probably for a reason.

Not sure I would get a thrill out of a FPS that doesn't require any aim. Then again, what do I know? Maybe this game is designed with VR headsets in mind and Blizzard is betting that aim will be a thing of the past shortly...

Sykar

Arcane

I don't have a problem with the characters so much as lockdowns and a staggering amount of "insta-kill" abilities that require no aim. I'm trying to think of a FPS that has abilities that just kill without the player having to do something skillful. The spectre ultimate kills in a huge radius in a non-skillful manner. The gripe with this (so far) it would appear that you can get kills without having to take aim at the other player or do anything in particular. I'm trying to find a similar FPS with attacks like this, and I just can't think of one. That's probably for a reason.

Not sure I would get a thrill out of a FPS that doesn't require any aim. Then again, what do I know? Maybe this game is designed with VR headsets in mind and Blizzard is betting that aim will be a thing of the past shortly...

Sigh, where are the good old Quake 3 Arena days when you'd "snap head shot" someone with the Railgun and trained that for weeks to be able to pull that off at a reliable rate.

Here Blizzard, that's how people with actual skill play. That Railgun shot while falling down at 1:06-1:07 is something most Blizztards would not be able to pull off in a million years yet I bet we will se tournaments with "next gen pro players" getting triple instant kills with the push of a button and no aiming or reflexes. :decline:

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
They don't want skill and competition, hey want to bring in players and hook them to the Skinner's Box with disposable fun.

Tehdagah

Arcane

This ain't a blue shell, you can still predict/dodge these attacks.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Never having played TF2, i don't really understand the concept of an online shooter that's also casual and popamole. All i know is that the idea triggers me.

TedNugent

Arcane
Never having played TF2, i don't really understand the concept of an online shooter that's also casual and popamole. All i know is that the idea triggers me.
Triggers you as in a seizure or triggers you as in piques your curiosity

I would hope the former

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The appeal (at least to me) of TF2 is that it's not 360 MLG no scope. Certain classes have a higher skill ceiling than others (like spy, demoman, and soldier) but others are fairly easy to pick up and play while still contributing (like medic, engineer, and pyro). My guess is that Overwatch will have a low skill ceiling on every class/role much as it is with Heroes of the Storm.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The appeal of TF2 for me was... TF1, the original Quake based, team game played over modem. Instead of everyone playing against everyone, it had roles and to a certain degree the team that communicated the best or played together well usually won. It was a departure from Duke Nukem/Doom/Quake frag fests or mutiplayer Doom, which was fun but limited to 2 players.

The led to TFC based on the Half-Life engine, and then to TF2, based on the HL2 engine. The appeal is that there is a class for almost any skill-set, and the learning curves of almost all classes are different. Whereas a scout or spy is incredibly easy to kill for a skilled player, either one of those played by a good player are very frustratingly hard to kill. Most classes have "hard counters" that are difficult for them to kill: pyros counter spies counter snipers counter heavies counter scouts counter demomen counter soldiers counter engineers counter whatever. All that is subject to debate, but its reasonably balanced.

TF2 can be casual, but I wouldn't call it popamole. The earlier FPS frag fests were camping extravaganzas, but TF2 is an objective based game, and does pretty well.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
When I played TF2I only did drop&play 24h 2forts servers :M

Last edited:

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Any news on the open Beta date folks?

I have signed on but they don't even have forums up. I am beginning to think beta by the end of the year, around Sep-Oct with a targeted release first or second quarter next year.

They should hire Cleve to teach them about deadlines and generating hype.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You mean closed beta or even alpha? It's still months off. I doubt it hits release next year. HoTS will have been in alpha/closed beta for around two years now.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Metro

Yeah I meant closed Beta, but not inhouse closed. Hope I get selected, fucking tired of TF 2. I don't care if it's Blizzard and I have to use their shit battle.net service, I already use it for Hearthstone. I want the outlandish abilities of Overwatch, assuming they are not just for show.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Right. You might get selected, it's just random chance. I was pretty surprised I got in on HoTS the first day of it's tech alpha. Thought they just let everyone in when I saw it on my battle.net launcher.

DakaSha

Arcane
Will play, will spend money, will watch metro complain about it for 110 pages while playing it himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom