Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pandemic expansions

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
story: I own original pandemic and like to play it from time to time. Im aware it got some extensions, but not how good they are.
Went to local shop to grab random extension and play with it. This is when Ive noticed title I was not aware of:

Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu

looks nice... gameplay seems to be different though. In the end decided that I need to know more before I make my purchase.

Anyone in here played extensions and this and can tell me which to get? What im looking for is to make it harder than original. Preferably to get the best one.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pandemic Legacy is super fun. It basically adds a campaign mode with persistent elements across sessions. However, manual tells you to effectively destroy/damage the board and cards by placing non-removable stickers on them (or outright tear them to pieces!). You should read how to circumvent those things (hint: card sleeves are mandatory!) before your first session.
Haven't tried any other expansions/spinoffs tho.

Howdy

I'd say just get Pandemic Legacy, but if you can't get together a consistent group for around 18 games just get On the Brink expansion as it adds new roles and events that keep it interesting. Don't bother with that cthulhu malarky, nor that's Spanish version, Iberia. Legacy is the best board game I've played to date though.

Edit: to make it harder get In the Lab as well.

Ranarama

Learned
Legacy, Iberia and Cthulhu aren't expansions (just to be clear)

On the brink - adds mutations (diseases get abilities) and a fifth disease. And a traitor mechanic that nobody uses

State of Emergency - adds events (somehow different from existing events), a different fifth disease, and hinterlands which few people use, but tacks on another africa board.

In the lab (never actually played it) turns part of it into a cube exchanging euro game

I consider brink to be necessary, even though you don't use the traitor. It also adds more roles, and events to the game. I forget if it's also the one with the petri dishes, but I consider that a totally necessary addition too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom