Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Panic at Multiverse High! - a new visual novel by DoubleBear

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now it has a demo on Steam, so if you dare...

Annie finaly convinced someone somehow to write about this, erm, product. It's not T1 resourse though, more like TC. I hope Brian wasn't cucked for that too much.
Dead State Dev’s Panic At Multiverse High! Gets Demo

By Jessica Famularo on September 25th, 2016 at 9:00 am.

22chad.jpg

Panic at Multiverse High! [official site] has been out for over a month already, but now you can try before you buy in a new demo. It’s Dead State developer DoubleBear’s take on a dating sim set in a high school where things are a bit… off.

Things start out normally enough. Canned music straight out of a ’90s job training video—check. A school bully named Chad—check. Said school bully is pink and has six arms—well, hold on.

It turns out Multiverse High is a place of learning filled to the brim with folks thinly hiding their super powers, robotic origins, and other oddball secrets. You don’t know what you’re doing at Multiverse High exactly, as you’ve conveniently forgotten your past. Your only goal is to come out on top of the vicious high school food chain.

Panic at Multiverse High!’s got all of the usual dating sim fixings. You’ll want to build up a series of stats while schmoozing with potential best friends and crushes. The people (and creatures) you encounter depend largely on which clubs and classes you sign up for, but you always have the option to go back and wander down new paths.

The otome parody is actually designed to be a side-story to the larger Panic at the Multiverse, a tactics-based JRPG game. DoubleBear is gauging interest with this smaller visual novel to see which direction they should take the Multiverse franchise.

Having played the demo, I can say it’s a definite departure from Dead State, with jokes and pop culture references a plenty. The goofs don’t always hit home, but all around it’s quite enjoyable. Panic at Multiverse High! is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux on Steam for £6.99/€9.99/$9.99. Steam is where you’ll find the demo too.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/25/panic-at-multiverse-high-dating-sim-demo/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:hmmm: It's like one of those ugly bedsheets that my boss kept asking me to put up.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry for doubke post, but it take me this long to realize it is probably an attempt to make wacky! meme game thats suddenly go viral like goat simulator or undertale.

Only this fail horribly and at least even undertale has some redeeming quality

Haha, it seems that Annie just haven't got enough SJW cred.
Just compare the language in this two "articles"
Dead State Dev’s Panic At Multiverse High! Gets Demo
Jessica Famularo on September 25th, 2016 at 9:00 am.

Share this:

22chad.jpg

Panic at Multiverse High! [official site] has been out for over a month already, but now you can try before you buy in a new demo. It’s Dead State developer DoubleBear’s take on a dating sim set in a high school where things are a bit… off.

Things start out normally enough. Canned music straight out of a ’90s job training video—check. A school bully named Chad—check. Said school bully is pink and has six arms—well, hold on.

It turns out Multiverse High is a place of learning filled to the brim with folks thinly hiding their super powers, robotic origins, and other oddball secrets. You don’t know what you’re doing at Multiverse High exactly, as you’ve conveniently forgotten your past. Your only goal is to come out on top of the vicious high school food chain.

Panic at Multiverse High!’s got all of the usual dating sim fixings. You’ll want to build up a series of stats while schmoozing with potential best friends and crushes. The people (and creatures) you encounter depend largely on which clubs and classes you sign up for, but you always have the option to go back and wander down new paths.

The otome parody is actually designed to be a side-story to the larger Panic at the Multiverse, a tactics-based JRPG game. DoubleBear is gauging interest with this smaller visual novel to see which direction they should take the Multiverse franchise.

Having played the demo, I can say it’s a definite departure from Dead State, with jokes and pop culture references a plenty. The goofs don’t always hit home, but all around it’s quite enjoyable. Panic at Multiverse High! is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux on Steamfor £6.99/€9.99/$9.99. Steam is where you’ll find the demo too.

Monster Prom Majorly Spoofs Dating Sims And I Love It
Brittany Vincent on October 30th, 2016 at 1:00 pm.

Share this:

zeroshits3.jpg

Whether you’re a fan of dating sims or just downright hate them, you can probably agree that they can be cliched, overly saccharine, and often just poor representations of actual human behavior. In any case, you may get a laugh out of Beautiful Glitch’s Monster Prom [official site].

Monster Prom is a 1-to-4 player game (!!) that mixes choose-your-own-adventure and dating sim mechanics with satire and raunchy humor to absolutely roast the genre. You’ll have to take the role of a monster high schooler and find a date to prom in only three weeks. This means finding out the likes and dislikes of each of your classmates and raise your stats and collect items to reach your goal of seducing one or all of them. There’s a hipster vampire with a “fetish” of downloading pop songs. It’s beautiful. Like a beautiful… glitch?

If Monster Prom sounds like the kind of romance for you, then be sure to support the project on Kickstarter. It’s already half-way to its goal of 8000€ (£7,200), and offering copies of the finished game to backers who pledge at least €10 (£9). Beautiful Glitch are aiming to release Monster Prom on Windows, Mac, and Linux in May 2017, though we all know the crowdfunding road can be bumpy. But I want it. Give it to me.
Kinda funny that the product are so similar - dating sim "parody", trope subversion, even monsters, yet the reception is so different. Especially given that the non-Double Bear game hadn't even came out yet.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
As Antoine de Saint-Exupery famously said, perfection is attained not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left but a visual novel set in a high school.

More appropriately though, how did they go from Bloodlines to Dead State?

Dead State was at least insanely ambitious, with the whole 'open map + gameworld/plot advances with time, independently of what the player does', which is what lead to all the imbalance and bugs (player can go anywhere, characters are scripted to die on certain days, locations change on certain days, put that all together and you've got a clusterfuck of breakable quest triggers that's a nightmare to both debug and balance). It's the right kind of fuckup for an indie developer - one where they're testing mechanics that the big players won't touch, and sometimes discovering that there's good reason why the AAA studios won't touch them. A visual novel is a step in the exact opposite direction - it's going from a flawed product with amazingly ambitious scope (to the point where, after the various patches, it's an impressive game to examine even if the actual gameplay gets stale), to something so utterly unambitious that there's no reason to check it out.

I really felt with Dead State, they needed to get a PR monkey out speaking for them, or got someone from Iron Tower with a bit of distance, to do all the post-release interaction, and de-activated their twitter accounts for 6 months.Annie posted some stupid shit when players complained about bugs. Thing is, she has a point in that you can't make a game with such an ambitious central mechanic (the 'world moves on with time, independently of the player, and in a big way, as in all the quests are time-triggered, instead of the player having the safety of being able to wait and trigger the quests at his/her leisure') as an indie studio without having a fuckload of bugs that will take many many patches post-release to iron out.

Trouble is, she lacked the skills to communicate that point, and like most developers she was too close to it to take criticism, so she said crazy shit like 'I can't believe this guy is giving us bad reviews because of BUGS! Players reviews shouldn't appear on the steam page!!' etc.

They needed someone who wasn't emotionally invested in the game to step up and say "Yes, we realise that there are far more bugs in this game than what we'd like. But that's an unavoidable by-product of such a unique and incredible mechanic, in which the whole gameworld, main questline included, progresses according to the passage of time, not the player. We believe that's critical in a game about survival, and we didn't want to compromise such an important part of our vision by making it yet another game that pretends to have urgency, while patiently waiting for the player to initiate challenges and his or her convenience. It's simply not possible for a studio of our size to find and remove all of those bugs prior to launch - there are so many different ways that players can progress through our game, that we simply can't predict all of them, and we think that's a wonderful thing. We know that does not make bugs acceptable, and we are committed to hearing your feedback and making this into the bug-free experience that we wish we could have provided at launch. It's not an excuse, but it is the price of having games so radically different to the AAA alternatives".

Something like that pinned to the top of the game forums would have earnt them a lot of goodwill.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Your social scene may be fine, but theirs consists of status-obsessed indie devs who make games that only appeal to themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom