Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradise Lost: First Contact

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

The new Heart of Darkness requires your support. [link]

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Looks fantastic. Awesome opening music ripped straight from the opening of the movie Species. Actually, scratch that. --This WHOLE trailer has fantastic music and atmosphere!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I though it will be thread about that russian cyberpunk sci-fi cRPG that's filled with bugs like hell and whatever.

Overboard

Arcane
dumbfuck.gif

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Eh doubt it will have same effect on me as HoD has back in the day

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks interesting, but targeting December 2014 for the publication date? They must be in the very early stages of development, so I'm not sure how much of the video could be legit, and how much is just animation.

lightbane

Arcane
Looks quite good. I wonder if for once you'll start with all abilities or you'll have to somehow "unlock" them as you progress. Will it have multiple endings? I bet the "KILL ALL HUMANS" will be one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So when is this shit finally releasing?

Last year: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1183462809/paradise-lost-first-contact/posts/1390429

Taking a look back at last year from the perspective of development, we didn’t stop fantasizing about how things would have been if we had made different choices. 2014 was going to be a major step for us. Our project obtained financing and we were able to devote to full time development and bring PLFC to life. We engaged in a work schedule that filled us and we loved it. Working on what you really like is a luxury, but nobody tells you about the sacrifices you must do to fulfill your dreams.

Communication problems and the lack of a common goal led us to rethink the initial formation of the team and so we lost a friend, colleague and partner. It was a blow, but the worst part was having to let go all the game’s code: A year of development to the trash. All our hopes were suddenly gone and having to watch how an important part of your project dissapears was pretty fucked up. We had to rise above that and continue making the game. We made a promise to all of you, and that’s not gonna change.

More info here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1183462809/paradise-lost-first-contact/posts/1015310

It's gonna take a while I think.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I have followed this (the trailer music was nice, and I'm a sucker for pixel art). Long story short, it's not a scam, but the usual kickstarter failure.

After a year of "development" they "lost" all the code and had to get a new programmer (tell me how often we hear this one) while throwing out a ton of concept art and meaningless trivia updates about, well, pixel art and other indie games. They tried to kickstart and get out a board game and they were shut down pretty badly by the masses of angry PLFC customers that were still trying to get the game they paid for.

After that, the usual: failed promises, passive-aggressive comments, lack of updates, videos being weirdly limited. My guess is that they have a good art department and little else: they failed to bash together the elements of the "game" and they are trying for years to make it all work together as they promised, failing again and again. Pretty much all their updates are focused on game art, so I guess that's the most likely explanation.

The "alpha" "beta" "playable demo" will come Soon (TM).

Poor fucks. For a bunch of Spaniards at their first experience, this must have been rather ugly. Another victim of the kickstarter craze.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks interesting, but targeting December 2014 for the publication date? They must be in the very early stages of development, so I'm not sure how much of the video could be legit, and how much is just animation.
He wrote, optimistically, on Nov 5, 2013. :negative:

Anyway: what Dayyalu wrote - I have written it off.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
An alpha demo has been released recently. It may not give a completely accurate picture of the final game, but... it is disappointing. The ambience is weak - kind of a low-rent Half-Life ripoff with pixelz and really meh sound design - and the mechanics are rather shallow. I didn't really feel the tension of sneaking around as the alien plant. Frankly, it was more tedious. Maybe it gets better later on, and I may not have played it enough to get to the good parts. But the intro section is not really interesting.

Dayyālu

Arcane
All I found is this video:

Warning: French. Guy seems to be rather unimpressed, and it looks like a barebones tech demo (two "enemies") and incredibly limited gameplay. After four years and the classical "Programmer Stole My Assets" I guess people expected more.

almondblight

Arcane
After four years and the classical "Programmer Stole My Assets" I guess people expected more.

After all that I wasn't expecting a game at all, so I'm pretty happy.

The demo itself is relatively fun, kind of a stealth metroidvania game. There have been a few points where I've gotten stuck and had to pay attention and try to figure out what I had to do. I'm actually stuck now in one part of it - there's a room that locks you in with a 1:30 countdown until a decontamination procedure happens, and a serious of buttons that probably shut it off but it's not clear what they do. I'll have to play around with them a bit more to try to figure out the pattern. After failing it the first time, I started to pay attention to the background LED displays in the room before, and it seemed like it provided a bit of a hint.

Edit: Finally beat the pre-alpha demo. Overall I found it fairly enjoyable, and the boss fight at the end was decent. I think the game will get more interesting as you get more abilities (you only end up getting one in the demo).

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Talking about games that may or may not happen is my favorite topic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom