Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox games no longer removed from SteamSpy!

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://archive.is/2HjaI

scr.png

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's the same logic behind journalists respecting that insane stupid shit which is also called a "NDA".

tormund

Arcane
I wonder what is it that Paradox is so afraid of, that other and bigger publishers who that never tried to block Steam Spy from showing stats about their games aren't...

Thane Solus

Arcane
I wonder what is it that Paradox is so afraid of, that other and bigger publishers who that never tried to block Steam Spy from showing stats about their games aren't...

Maybe to cover the bullshit in their press releases "we sold 1 gazillion copies, shareholders we are awesome " ... no you didnt! not according to steamspy, "oh ok, lets remove it from there"

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Never gonna buy a paradox game again, they are worse than EA at this point, 20 dlc's for one game.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Inb4 Paradox adds sales number dlc in each of their games

Now you can see the sales number of CK2 in real time for just 1.99

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wonder who did the split, I'd have thought the Best Thread Ever would've been the perfect place for this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
EA and Activision let SteamSpy show their numbers but not Paradox!

(though I imagine this is because they either don't know about it or don't care if it's only PC numbers)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I wonder who did the split, I'd have thought the Best Thread Ever would've been the perfect place for this.

Smells of Infinitron. He tends to split off threads from megathreads when he deems them worthy of being stand-alone threads.

(In this case I agree with him.)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
If sales numbers are closely guarded in the industry - why do they report them accurately to an industry organization? Also why do they care if the numbers are off? This should actually help them obfuscate the real, well guarded sales numbers.

If you then go start basing a lot of assumptions on that particular figure the "wrongness" gets compounded.
You wouldn't believe how many indies I've talked to who've based entire business cases on steamspy "owner" numbers. Thinking those incorrect numbers are something to rely on.

How caring.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Renegen, their investors would have fairly detailed corporate financial statements available.

The layman taking a peek on SteamSpy doesn't qualify for that tag.

RE: the larger issue - no idea why they did it, and that whole 'closely guarded information' angle doesn't really fly. Especially since their data seems positive, rather than negative (i.e. Stellaris has done well, by any measure). Nonetheless, my feelings on this are ambivalent, rather than negative. I'm not one of those people who judges the quality of boxing matches by PPV buys, or the quality of games by the number of owners.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I wonder what they think they have to gain from this. I think we can rule out that their motivation was to prevent fledgling indies from making wrong assumptions based on SteamSpy.

i honestly don't understand what all this means.
i mean: why? what does it change? what does if affects? "fucking nothing at fucking all" would be my answer, that's why i don't understand what's this about.

They just had their IPO at the beginning of the month. This means that making their company seem very, very good throughout this week will be very profitable to them. Even a few pennies higher per share sold translates into millions of dollars for them.

However good the real numbers are they still want to upsell and pretend they are better than they are. This is also probably why both Stellaris and HoI4 are launching within a timespan of less than a month: to boost the short term growth and therefore get huge returns on their IPO even if it results in worse sales (due to the games being rushed and eating each other's market share).

e.g., Tencent apparently just bought 5% of their stock and it netted Paradox $21 million.

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
What do they have to gain? Why, protecting themselves from having to endlessly explain to potential initial investors why their numbers conflict with Steamspy numbers, and that the company numbers are not lies.

Keep in mind that investors are idiotic herd animals that dump stock when there is a rumor that there is a ghost somewhere nearby that said boo. A significant difference between expected sales and actual sales can greatly influence stock price. And when your sales for individual titles are not huge, the statistical difference from Steamspy's sampling method can be a significant enough percentage difference from reality to affect investor morale.

Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
The real reason is that gaben is a shitlord and they are too :inclusive: to associate with him.

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
Aren't quarterly reports quarterly?

While they may be more accurate if their strategy is to burn bridges for short term profits it makes sense to stop SteamSpy that updates in a week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom