Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox has acquired Harebrained Schemes

Jason Liang

Arcane
med_ADN27_92.png

It's a good move. Battletech was too big of an IP for HBS.

almondblight

Arcane
Our frequently banned friend above actually has a point that acquiring a dev who have no worthwhile IP of their own (Necropolis lol) is a bit unusual.

They also have Golem Arcana, for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, since MS was willing to license Shadowrun out to HBS (who were mobile app debs at that point) and Cliffhanger Productions in the first place I doubt they had important plans for the IP. I don't think the acquisition by Paradox would necessarily make things more difficult. But the fact that they keep saying they're going to focus on tactical games seems to hint that they're not going to be as focused on RPGs going forward.

Bohr

Arcane
Liked this snippet from the forum Q&A

Is HBS going to shift its focus to developing tons of DLC?
We will be supporting BATTLETECH with updates and additional content and we are starting concept development for a new title.

And really missed a fabulously optimistic rating over there...

HBS working with the VTM universe?

Oh hell yes.

Bohr

Arcane
20 years ago... or so... I managed to email Jordan directly on AOL... after reading that FASA had been sold to Microsoft (yeah over dialup at 52K via AOL. Sadly, I do not have that email anymore. My point was... you just sold out and killed BT. His reply was something along the lines of... but now we have the resources of a MS to do stuff and things will be great. Enter the 15 year break in all things FASA as the IP bounced.

Paradox has had its own "issues". However, HBS has delivered. Jordan, I hope you have learned.

Jason Liang

Arcane
A Vampire tactical strategy game...

OR they could do another White Wolf property like Exalted.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Inb4 they announce 20 dlcs for Battletech half of them cosmetic,anyway HBS making WOD games wouldn't be out of the question

Blackstaff

Arbiter
BattleTech isn't an "HBS IP". Wonder how Microsoft (BattleTech video game license owners) feel about being partnered with a rival publisher now.

Like shit most likely.
Honestly, for the shadowrun and Battletech IPs, this means that either HBS thought that MS was going to take them back after the current lease so what the hell, either they think Paradox has the means and the will to buy them back to MS for good (which seems hard to believe : MS hates selling their IPs). It's also possible that after their license expires, they wants to work on Vampire or some other IPs from Paradox.

On the short term, it's most likely not going to change much for HBS, but I'm still worried for future drm free release, even if Paradox works with GOG sometimes.

Unwanted

Xotiphile

The Doxxer of Deutschland
Edgy
I wonder why H. Schemes is an LLC where company losses are passed to the personal taxes of Weisman. But the holding company has 3 partners. And the holding corp can "offer" services to the LLC for it to never turn a profit.
And now there is another holding corp probably related to the sale.
Shouldnt the LLC now lose its validity?
calling alcoholic mustawd.

Unwanted

Xotiphile

The Doxxer of Deutschland
Edgy
BT is released on 24. Apr.
Bag of Holding Inc is created on 30. Apr.
Sale was on condition of good perf on first week?

Thane Solus

Arcane
Paradox is shit but sometimes can be decent, but HBS... is absolute SJW incompetent garbage, so i consider this incline. Of course if they keept kiva hired, they already shoot themselfs in the foot, but thats Paradox.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder what Feargus thinks right now, especially since Battletech sold at least twice as much as Dumpsterfire and possibly over 4 times more.
He's thinking this is small potatoes. 7.5 million divided among Obsidian's four owners would be chump change.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This guy on RPS says: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...g-harebrained-schemes-studio/#comment-2649467

Honestly, my biggest concern about this affair is that Microsoft might see this as very solid proof of the FASA computer-game licenses that they’ve been generous with are in fact worth a lot more to them as exclusive IPs, i.e. they decide to wrestle back control in order to make their own BattleTech/Shadowrun titles.

I mean, I love HBS, backed several of their Kickstarters, but does anyone think they’d have gotten to this point where they get purchased by Paradox without having been granted usage of the old FASA licenses? Mind you, last I recall the licenses were granted until 2020, but that was a few years ago so I guess it’s very possible a longer period has already been negotiated.

Time will tell I guess, I just hope it doesn’t lead to a repeat of history.

How does he know that.

Mark Richard

Arcane
It's very difficult to hoodwink me with a bad game. On the rare occasion it does happen... well, let's just say giant mechs will be fighting amongst the stars in reality before Harebrained Schemes gets taken off my shitlist.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How does he know that.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q="Harebrained+Schemes"+"2020"+"Microsoft"&t=h_&ia=web

Spiralface is responsible for two of the four relevant links, no source that I can see in 60 seconds of searching.

If true, I expect we'll see BattleTech expansions until 2020. But it doesn't seem like enough time to create an entirely new game (eg, a new Shadowrun RPG). Unless the agreement been extended.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom