Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox has bought White Wolf, plans on giving "some fresh blood" to the WoD/Vampire IPs

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I really hope it's not Bioware or CDPR. Although I don't think VtmB was particularly good either.

I'd love to see a Vampire game written by MCA or Ziets, though.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Actually, we have a lot of very good oWoD PnP game masters in Poland as well, out of whom some could be possibly working for CDPR. I used to GM Vampire sessions for quite a few years and people who played with me enjoyed them a lot. :3

But lets all be honest here. CDPR is working on CP2077 and another big DLC for The Witcher3. Possibility it's going to happen is rather small :(

Zanzoken

Arcane
I like the setting but only played a few hours of VtMB... just didn't enjoy the gameplay. So if it's a direct sequel then meh.

On the off chance we get something turn-based like D:OS, though, I'll be hype as fuck! Wouldn't even care if it's Obsidian with Sawyer as lead (although I doubt it, since he will probably be consumed by Pillars for the foreseeable future).

Lucky

Arcane
Stepping away from an RPG developer, I'd like to see Ice-Pick Lodge do it. Given free reign and a decent budget, I can't see them not doing something interesting with the setting. I'd actually hate for such a creative team to retread old ground, but just Vampire à la Pathologic would already make for an amazing game. The end-product probably wouldn't have much in common with the actual setting as written, but that would be a plus in my book.

More realistically and as has been repeated ad nauseam, if Paradox is not making the game themselves then Obsidian is the developer most likely to get hired. They have the experience, a good working relation with Paradox and, important from a publishers perspective, are close to guaranteed to produce a decently selling title. I'd be more surprised if they didn't get.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Paradox?

In before a CKII-style Grand Strategy game where you have to manage a Vampire Clan or faction's actions and leaders around the world/continent/country.

Hegel

Arcane
I like the setting but only played a few hours of VtMB... just didn't enjoy the gameplay. So if it's a direct sequel then meh.
Wouldn't even care if it's Obsidian with Sawyer as lead.

Get the fuck out.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
You're good, and unlike Infinitron you don't ask the Jewish Melonhead Overlords for top info.

They should get the Mitsodas and Ziets back on this. Bloodlines 2, here we go?

Cuz that's some good fuckin' ch-... I mean friggin' chicken!

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd be more than happy with either Obsidian, inXile or CDPR developing a VtM game. Actually, these would be my top choices.
Mitsoda/Ziets would be absolutely awesome too, as would be Avellone of course.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was quite obvious before, that Paradox was going to make a computer game in this setting, but now we are 100% sure and know the work is already starting. Remember how recently Obsidian said they will reveal a new game in few months? It looks possible we are getting a Vampire cRPG from them.

You're jumping to conclusions. Is work on Meantime and Autoduel starting?

Just because Paradox trademarked V:TM doesn't mean they're planning to develop a video game in the near future, and it certainly doesn't mean anything about Obsidian. It's an important trademark to hold on to and the only weird thing is that CCP didn't have one.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
A shitty AKSHUN GAEM! with Vampires?

No thanks.
Witcher 3 had some pretty awesome quests and writing, a lot of c&c as well.

Wouldn't mind seeing an open world vampire game made by the same people, instead of obsidian fucking it up, or even worse Bioware or inxile.

Tytus

Arcane
PoE proved that Obsidian today can't do character-driven writing for shit.

:hmmm:

Only as good as your last one, eh?

Well, Yeah. In the industry where developers have a high rotation of emplyees over the years it makes a difference. Obsidian of today is not the Obsidian of five years ago and so on...

It is best compared to F1 Racing teams. The team may be the same and it may had been an ultimate champion in the past but now the engineering teams is different, pit-stop mechanics are new employees and the drivers themselves may have changed. The fame may be still there, but not necessarly the people that made it happen.

PoE proved that Obsidian today can't do character-driven writing for shit.

:hmmm:

Only as good as your last one, eh?
Let us look at their last game with good story and mechanics:
I checked FNV's credits on the wiki, and apparently they've lost even more key personnel than I thought.
I've yet to check/find everyone, but it's confirmed they've lost:

Executive Producer
2 out of 4 producers
Lead Artist
UI Artist
2/3 character artists
Audio Director
Design Lead/Lead Writer
2/3 Main writers
Lead Programmer
At least 4/5 programers
8/10 environment artists
6/9 area designers
Chief Creative Officer

And many others I didn't check/couldn't find.
Basically only lead left from that team in the company seems to be Josh Sawyer. Really sad stuff.

More context. (First off it is 5 years and one major layoff in between F:NV and today. Not all that surprising honestly)

Executive Producers

Larry Liberty

F:NV was his only game at Obsidian. (Seems to have worked on Aliens previously). Went to make his own game company. Failed.

Producers

Jason Fader
Cool dude, but again only worked on F:NV. He was laid off when Bethesda decided not to make a contract for his game Backspace. Also formed his own company, midly more successful.

Tess Treadwell
AGAIN F:NV was the only game (Well, a bit of very early production on South Park). Left on her own accord IIRC to pursue a job offering.

Lead Artist

Joe Sanabrina

I don't have to repeat every time right?
Went freelance. Doesn't really do games full time anymore.

UI Artist

Jason Sereno
Actually worked as the sole UI artist on more than one game. That being Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III and F:NV (And again very early South Park). YMMV on how you interpret this. Was a more defining part of Obsidians history though.

Charachter Artist

Kevin Manning is also a cool dude. But as Sereno same 3-4 period and YMMV on his work.

Now
Aaron Brown
That was a big loss. Black Isle Vet and all that jazz.

Audio Director

Scott Lawlor
Captured by a Blizzard (As in better job oppurtinity even if he isn't director anymore)
Certainly Key Personel, but people probably remember Obsidians first Audio Director, Alexander Brandon, most fondly. Not really hard considering Alexander was probably one of the *big names* Obsidian had during.

Now I'm getting tired.

Well, theres the bigger losses following. Though in regards to writers as mentioned its not like Gonzalez and Stout have profiled themselves outside of Obsidian.

Other than that. Well, Frank Kowalkowski is obviously a big loss. Though, was snatched up by a Blizzard as well. Others left for various reasons.

On the topic of losses btw. only very few people left since the big layoffs in 2012 because of layoffs. For nearly every one of them it was a personal reason (location, job opportunities and so on)

5/5 programmers

They did hire Tim Cain and 3-4 other BI vets (bigger names as well) since then.

A lot of the others also have F:NV as their only Obsidian credit.

Chris was counted twice.

You forgot the Lead Animator (Left due to location)
Judging by that Obsi haven't retained almost anybody save Sawer from F:NV - well, I'd say that judging Obsi by PoE's merits (hah) and flaws is appropriate.

It was quite obvious before, that Paradox was going to make a computer game in this setting, but now we are 100% sure and know the work is already starting. Remember how recently Obsidian said they will reveal a new game in few months? It looks possible we are getting a Vampire cRPG from them.

You're jumping to conclusions. Is work on Meantime and Autoduel starting?

Just because Paradox trademarked V:TM doesn't mean they're planning to develop a video game in the near future, and it certainly doesn't mean anything about Obsidian. It's an important trademark to hold on to and the only weird thing is that CCP didn't have one.

Possibly yes, I may be jumping to conclusions. Still, the situation is different. Registering those trademarks for inXile cost a few hundred dollars. Paradox bought White Wolf for some serious money. They will want to cash on it as soon as possible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FO:NV isn't exactly a "character-driven" game either. Fallout itself isn't a character-driven series. Historically, Obsidian has had a better time of it producing non-character driven games. In modern times, "character-driven" typically means "cinematic" (something that the Witcher 3/CD Projekt fandom ITT doesn't exactly disprove...) and Chris Avellone himself said that Obsidian can't and shouldn't try to compete with Bioware and other companies in that area anymore.

So yeah, it's a valid argument to say that they're not the ideal choice for a "Bloodlines 2", although they might just decide to try for it anyway.

hivemind

I'd approve an Obisdian Bloodlines sequel. Well, let's see.
obsidian doesn't have(and never had) the talent to live up to troika's characters and atmosphere

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom