Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox has bought White Wolf, plans on giving "some fresh blood" to the WoD/Vampire IPs

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I'd approve an Obisdian Bloodlines sequel. Well, let's see.

Edit: As long as it is an RPG.
But I'm sure you would approve a Warhorse Studios Bloodlines game even more.

In today's climate, this is the only man I would trust to uncompromisingly portray the source material:

eadJzgEO_400x400.jpeg
This guy is a bruh, but I don't really like the decision to make the mainquest in Kingdom Come without c&c, although I get the reasoning.

What he said. Guy is a bro, but maybe too much of a bro and too little of a RPG designer.

hivemind

Mafia is a better written game than dozens of RPGs so I wouldn't be too worried. But honestly with how autistic Daniel.Vavra gets over realism aspects in the games he has had a large say over(mostly judging this from Mafia and KC:Deliverance) I can't see him doing a World of Darkness setting kind of a game.

Also overall I still think that an idea of a bloodlines sequel is beyond retarded and roughly on the same level of Bethesda 'reviving' fallout.

hivemind

Sure, I wouldn't mind another WoD game(mostly because none of my friends want to play PnPs) but there is a difference between another WoD game and a bloodlines (spiritual) sequel.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like how Eric Fenstermaker received a lot of praise for his contributions to NWN2's act 2, MotB, and New Vegas, and Matt MacLean received praise for his contributions to Mask of the Betrayer and for writing 95% of Alpha Protocol's emails, but they deliver one botched effort and they're FUCKING HACKS.
Uh huh.

Except that nothing I've said has anything to do with Fenstermaker or MacLean. :^)
Games are a team effort, and writers never have a final say in anything, including their own work, so why blame the middle-ranking employees when you can just blame the whole company?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Except that nothing I've said has anything to do with Fenstermaker or MacLean. :^)
Games are a team effort, and writers never have a final say in anything, including their own work, so why blame the middle-ranking employees when you can just blame the whole company?

Obs hasn't played it safe with any of their non-trad fantasy games, for some reason they really get hung up on those.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
New job opening at Paradox for a WoD editor:

http://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs/8270-editor

The future development of the World of Darkness will be done in cooperation between White Wolf Publishing and third party partners. The role as Editor is to review and provide feedback on the work performed by the partners, whilealso help and guide them in the metaplot and at the same time allow for creative greatness.

The Editor will be a key resource for White Wolf Publishing's licensing model and the role will require a profound experience of both World of Darkness and game systems and literature.

The job

A large part of the role will be to review third party products such as tapletop RPG books, computer games, card games, board games and novels. It will mainly be WoD based products, but it will also include other IP’s owned by White Wolf like Exalted. Development and editing will concern language, rules systems, setting details and art. The goal is to ensure a consistent and high level of quality that our partners would be unable to achieve without our help.

The editor is also the liaison between the Lead Storyteller and third party licensors, applying core changes and developments to products through constant fluid communication with the involved teams. An important aspect of the job will be to communicate the vision and direction of WoD to external partners. The Editor will when possible assist the Lead Storyteller in the development of the core metaplot, while also handling the review process and the overview of the products in development.

Requirements

• The right candidate will have strong grasp of the English language, able to provide quality feedback on written material.
  • Capacity to quickly formulate chaotic notes and ideas into clear comments and documents.
  • Deep and profound passion and knowledge of the classic World of Darkness
  • Game-design / system design experience
  • The ability to clearly and fearlessly critique the work of others while deliver it in such a way that a constructive dialogue can take place
  • Must be willing to travel internationally
Scope: Full time and permanent
Reports to: CEO of White Wolf Publishing

If you think that this description matches your background, we highly encourage you to apply as soon as possible as we will interview candidates continuously for this position. In your application, please show us why your previous experiences and skills would work for this role. If you don't match all the requirements, please demonstrate how your passion, attitude and interest might compensate for this.

Since we strive for a more even gender distribution we highly encourage women to apply to this role.

In late 90s - early 00s, when I both played and GMed (Storytold?) oWoD, we had probably the most female players, more then any other setting and system back in the day. Not only goth girls, regular ones too, storyfaggy games tend to attract more diverse crowd. The most crazy crowd played CtD, groups playing it always got gays, lesbians, goths, proto-otherkin, schizos and various other unsavory characters. Most normal crowd played WtA, for some reason. Probably because of big furry machine of death and destruction tended to attract both metalheads and your average unpretentious RPG combatfaggy nerd.
I always preferred VtM and WtO tho'.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
In late 90s - early 00s, when I both played and GMed (Storytold?) oWoD, we had probably the most female players, more then any other setting and system back in the day. Not only goth girls, regular ones too, storyfaggy games tend to attract more diverse crowd. The most crazy crowd played CtD, groups playing it always got gays, lesbians, goths, proto-otherkin, schizos and various other unsavory characters. Most normal crowd played WtA, for some reason. Probably because of big furry machine of death and destruction tended to attract both metalheads and your average unpretentious RPG combatfaggy nerd.
Vampire LARPs were the best way for nerds to get laid in the 90's.

Vampire LARPs were the best way for nerds to get laid in the 90's.
I take your word for it. Maybe in USA or some Euro countries it was true, but here in Russia WoD gained popularity roughly in '99 and continued through early 00s. We had WoD LARPs in Moscow, but they were held in a small, suffocating little RPG club which was basically a repurposed cellar. Not exactly an easy place to get laid. Coincidentally, many of my nerd acquaintances managed just that at some Tolkien LARPs. Now these were a debauchery, sex and alcohol centrals with some ugly people in curtains pretending to be Feanorians or some shit like that. We had a huge population of ugly girls who would probably have become tumblerinas if they were born later, but become "elven princes" instead. With added slash fanfics for good measure.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
They choose to make the most prominent Camarilla character a power-hungry villain who tries to have you killed multiple times even after all you do for him.
I thought so at first but not anymore.

Its Ming Xiao. LaCroix only tries you get you killed with the Blood Hunt after the Werewolf attack but it doesn't really make sense that it was him who ordered that as well. If LaCroix knew where Nines was all along, he'd just have him killed way sooner, during Nines' own Blood Hunt. That would give him supremacy over the city almost instantly.

Plus, that its even possible to contact LaCroix and join him during endgame proves this. It was Ming playing everyone around, keeping tabs over all that happens in the City and playing the real supremacy game. She's the one trying to kill you all the way from Mandarin's encoutner towards her own ending. Even LaCroix says during the ending that the Kuei-Jin were going to kill everyone and only super vampire magic could stop them. He really was just a bureaucrat way over his head.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
LaCroix sends you on multiple suicide missions that you only survive because Caine's been dripfeeding you. The most blatant is when he sends you against the Sabbat by yourself.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Games don't make sense people. Granted Bloodlines is better than most, but don't expect it to work out perfectly.

I find that in entertainment even if you find a angle that explains all the inconsistencies away, further developments (ie: sequels) will almost always choose the simple explanation because that is what the most people believe and what they'll be least confused about - unless they give no shits about old fans and then they'll just make up anything.

So yes, Lacroix is a french dickbag that did most of the murder attempts, end of story (unless you want to get disappointed / have the nosferatu as the secret jyhad masters who you must exterminate).

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I guess this is the first digital project with an external partner after the acquisition. "Interactive" audio drama written by game writers (Dave Grossman, Richard Dansky): https://ear-play.com/white-wolf-partnership/

Earplay Announces Partnership With White Wolf Publishing For Interactive Audio World of Darkness Project Written By Dave Grossman and Richard Dansky

Free Interactive Audio Teaser Available Soon in the Earplay Skill on Alexa Enabled Devices

Boston, MA – October 26, 2016
– Earplay and White Wolf today announced a new partnership to create a full length interactive audio experience scheduled to release this winter through Alexa and iOS. This will be the first immersive digital experience set in the World of Darkness universe.

Earplay is currently available as a skill on Alexa Enabled devices. A free interactive audio teaser titled “The Orpheus Device” will be available soon through signup in the Earplay Alexa skill and in November in the Earplay iOS App. Both the teaser and the full length story are designed and written by Earplay creative chief Dave Grossman (Day of the Tentacle, The Wolf Among Us) and game writer Richard Dansky (The Division), the original developer of the Wraith tabletop game. The full product is currently in production with a release expected in December 2016.

With Earplay’s interactive stories you play with your voice, audio entertainment lovers can experience a new storytelling medium where they become part of the story in conversation with characters. “Earplay is growing the new medium of interactive audio storytelling. We’re excited to serve role-playing fans who naturally participate in gameplay with their own voices,” said Earplay CEO Jonathon Myers.

White Wolf revealed initial details to World of Darkness fans in New Orleans in September at their keynote presentation of the Grand Masquerade, the 25th anniversary celebration ofVampire: The Masquerade. “As we are developing the World of Darkness it is very inspiring to work with Earplay about how to bring our universe into the new medium of interactive audio storytelling,” said White Wolf CEO Tobias Sjögren. “The way you can now interact with a story fits the Wraith brand extremely well and we think Earplay has a unique ability to make an immersive experience for the players,” said White Wolf Lead Storyteller Martin Ericsson.

Expected to release for Halloween, players will soon be able to access “The Orpheus Device” teaser experience, which highlights the unique qualities of audio storytelling with voice control. Players engage in a conversation with a malevolent Wraith of the Shadowlands by treating their Alexa Enabled device as an Electronic Voice Phenomenon (EVP) device built by ghost hunting organization Orpheus. The content is not necessarily suitable for children and parental guidance is suggested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom