Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox has bought White Wolf, plans on giving "some fresh blood" to the WoD/Vampire IPs

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
My memory is hazy on this one but didn't Obsidian once try to get a license to make a WoD game? Can't remember.

Obsidian were already working on a WOD game, then white wolf got bought and the project cancelled.

garren

Arcane
Patron
So, to recap:

1. Paradox wants to make use of their new IP.
2. Obsidian and Paradox have history and are on good terms. Obsidian has more experience making RPGs than they do.
3. Obsidian tried making a WoD game once before the project was cancelled.
4. That sly twitter comment.

I'd be more surprised if they wouldn't start developing a WoD RPG at some point.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pretty much confirmed. Curious if it will be crowdsourced or funded by Paradox. I guess it will be crowdsourced.

Yeah, I am curious about that too. I would *assume* Paradox would fund/publish any new White Wolf owned titles. Or either grant out a licence for anyone wanting to do a game with one of their properties (like Shadowrun did).

You would also think they would at least, be funding/publishing one game from the properties they now own. Guess we will find out...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Obsidian Twitter is known for its lolrandom tweets, so I'd be wary of talking about anything confirmed here.

Still, it does look like the most logical course for Paradox to pursue if they want to make a computer game out of their new IP.

Neanderthal

Arcane
You're not one of those people who want the rules to be some numenera-tier garbage, are you?

Nah, well at least I don't think so, don't know much about Numenera. Just think WoD needs some fine tuning and more mechanical reinforcement for its stated aims.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So if Codex will be asked, what kind of Bloodlines 2 would you like to see:
1. FPS/TPS RPG like original VtmB
2. Isometric turn based RPG
Would you stick to the roots of FPS or your beloved isometrics?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I would give Larian, Inxile and Obsidian a chance to create a WoD game. Which one exactly? Their choice.

likaq

Arcane

I prefer fpp/tpp like original BL.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Obsidian Twitter is known for its lolrandom tweets, so I'd be wary of talking about anything confirmed here.

Still, it does look like the most logical course for Paradox to pursue if they want to make a computer game out of their new IP.
They favorited my Michael Scott NO YT link so

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love isometric top-down view RPGs, but that doesn't mean I think every game, or even every RPG, should be isometric. In Bloodline's case, I just don't see a top-down view capturing the same level of ambiance that Bloodlines had.

I would be absolutely shocked if they didn't at least put a pitch together to show Paradox.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Note that WW is to be run as an independent subsidiary, so in theory other publishers besides Paradox could fund a licensed WoD game:

In before Bethesda buys WoD license AND Paradox, and uses the license to market Fallout 4's inevitable post-appocalyptic vampire clan.

I would like them to hire a team of FPS veterans, license a good FPS engine, create a fun FPS combat system with light RPG elements, and assemble guys like Avellone, Ziets, Neal Harford, etc to write high quality intrigue stuff like game of thrones. Oh and make it open world too instead of those tiny zones in VTMB.

Alex

Arcane
Vampire, Exalted---there are no wrong options they are likely to take all things considered.

I mean, imagine if somebody competent made a deal with the devil and somehow managed to get the rights to D&D comparable to this? Now is the greatest age yet to adapt P&P Tabletop properties for cRPGs and the like---period. The tech is there, the audience is there, KS is a thing, the deals just need to get made.

They should make a Street Fighter game. I bet it would look a lot better than the table top game if it was real-time.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
crYlR4b.jpg

Maybe Paradox could finally release this damn game :argh:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Great plains Native American music pack 2.99 0.99

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom