Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox has bought White Wolf, plans on giving "some fresh blood" to the WoD/Vampire IPs

Ebonsword

Arcane
Is there are any precedent in history for a video game publisher owning its own full-scale pen-and-paper roleplaying game?

Cryptic Studios bought the Champions IP before making Champions Online.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This will prove to be excellent news as long as those Obsidian bozos have nothing to do with it. I was certain that WoD was all but dead after CCP acquired it.

Silva

Arcane
What I want: They bring back the Troika team and make an awesome Bloodlines sequel.

What they'll do: License it to Harebrained Schemes so we have another shallow, linear and cartoony crap written by wannabe authors.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nowadays you'd get some politically correct dumbed down shit if they tried to make a game in the vein of Bloodlines.

With Brian Mitsoda's writing, absolutely. Just look at Annie's twitter feed.

Telengard

Arcane
Punk is too far in the past. You won't ever capture gothic punk as was ever again. It will always be some new version that reflects this day and age, not the past. Bloodlines 2 will never, can never exist. That whole game is too much of its time. There can only be something that tries to capture the mystique of the past, comes close, but ultimately fails. But more likely, it will simply fall flat on its face.

White Wolf should have ended the series in the mid 00s, left it as is and sold it as a complete package, and moved on to new projects. And so should we treat with Bloodlines. Anything else is like the gag about the old hippie, except it's now about the old guy in the black trenchcoat and ray-bans at the nightclub, still trying to live the old dream from 20 years ago.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Most everything Paradox touches these days turns to shit and comes with a mountain of DLC.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The mystical past of 2004

Since the mid 20th century, decades have been a significant amount of time culturally. The 10s are not the 00s were not the 90s were not the 80s were not the 70s were not the 60s were not the 50s and at that point the changes become a bit more nuanced.

Mortmal

Arcane
This will prove to be excellent news as long as those Obsidian bozos have nothing to do with it. I was certain that WoD was all but dead after CCP acquired it.

Alas josh sawyer may be the lesser evil . Giving some fresh blood ? They may very well turn it into a MMO . A social MMO for teen goth and emos with tons of microtransactions , flowing dresses on 3D model with nvidia hair stuff and tons and tons of cosmetic DLC. This is really more likely than a choice and consequences heavy rpg with a good writer, way more likely for paradox.They could try to ressurect the trainwreck ccp was working on.

Who want to bet money it will be that ?

J1M

Arcane
A strategy game where you run The Masquerade could be interesting.

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nazi death cult center of jew medicine avoidance
Since the mid 20th century, decades have been a significant amount of time culturally. The 10s are not the 00s were not the 90s were not the 80s were not the 70s were not the 60s were not the 50s and at that point the changes become a bit more nuanced.

That's just what retardo-hollywood pushes on us to make everything more and more 'progressive' and throw out any link to the past...even to shit like punk etc.

Ninjerk

Arcane
How did I waste so much time on this place. The discussion on video game is just as mediocre and misguided as on any other forum. Your pretend to be edgy and counter cultural, but really, Witcher 3, Divinity, Pillars, Fallout and other casual games end up being the most discussed. You turn a forum that was at it's core to discuss video games without constraint into a circlejerk with the atmosphere of an highschool playground. Which should be disturbing to anyone with stable mental health. You, yes you reading this sig, are likely struggling with serious mental or familial issues, both most likely, but you have the self righteousness of a Saint. The forum is divided between those who fully embrace their degenerate state of life and promote the most abject form of hedonism, and those in full denial spewing a distorted pseudo traditionalist doctrine, missing the irony of doing so in their current predicament. The exception of those of you here who shill for your own game and benefit from the disposable income of NEET (Or you infinitron for most likely working for a data collection firm, at least I hope for you your boting is actually a job). I can safely say that half of you will end up committing suicide at some point, and the other half surviving under heavy mental medication. Starting with the owner of this place. Dark Underlord I don't give you 5 more years before you end in a mental institution. You will never be happy beyond your prozac euphoria.
Goodbye.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Glorious 2007
hqdefault.jpg

Telengard

Arcane
To be more explicit. Punk was a think of the 70s and 80s. The movement was over by the 90s. There were people still holding onto it in the 90s, though, and so it was still relevant to people in their lives. It was still in the mass consciousness as it was. And that 90s culture of remembrance of punk, that is what White Wolf built its game around.

By 2005, real punk is long dead, there's only the whitewashed 90s version left in anyone's minds, and even that is largely over except as dress-up and fashion. It's still close enough to be in memory, but barely so, and it isn't relevant in anyone's lives anymore. That was the trailing end, when Bloodlines was released.

And now we're in 2015. Anything that attempts to set in the era now will not be of punk, it will instead be a historical period piece that just talks about punk. As is only normal, since the original punksters are in their late 50s now. (If they're not properly dead.) That's right, punk is grandpa stuff. So, get used to it chumps. Means you're getting old.

Period pieces will never capture the feelings of the past. They're not the same thing, and cannot be. Bloodlines 2 could only have existed as it should be if it was made immediately after Blloodlines. Made now, it would - at best - be a poor-man's nostalgia-fest version of the original, not its own thing.

Higher Animal

Arcane
Difficult to believe a quality VTM: B 2 could survive the necessary post-irony, feminist edge makeover for the setting.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
To be more explicit. Punk was a think of the 70s and 80s. The movement was over by the 90s. There were people still holding onto it in the 90s, though, and so it was still relevant to people in their lives. It was still in the mass consciousness as it was. And that 90s culture of remembrance of punk, that is what White Wolf built its game around.

By 2005, real punk is long dead, there's only the whitewashed 90s version left in anyone's minds, and even that is largely over except as dress-up and fashion. It's still close enough to be in memory, but barely so, and it isn't relevant in anyone's lives anymore. That was the trailing end, when Bloodlines was released.

And now we're in 2015. Anything that attempts to set in the era now will not be of punk, it will instead be a historical period piece that just talks about punk. As is only normal, since the original punksters are in their late 50s now. (If they're not properly dead.) That's right, punk is grandpa stuff. So, get used to it chumps. Means you're getting old.

Period pieces will never capture the feelings of the past. They're not the same thing, and cannot be. Bloodlines 2 could only have existed as it should be if it was made immediately after Blloodlines. Made now, it would - at best - be a poor-man's nostalgia-fest version of the original, not its own thing.

The punk phase is a joke anyways. It was a coldly calculated thing by business men to manipulate the younger crowd. Bands like the Sex Pistols didn't stand by what they said. All of them, except for Sid Vicious who really was just a moran, went to music academy and learned how to play music the classical way. People who learned to play music at the academy didn't come from the working class, they came from an upper class family. The way they dressed, acted, the clothes they wore; these were all manufactured things and not things they really believed in. Their manager told them that this is how they need to be. Most punk bands were commercial to the bone. Long live the Ramones. At least those guys were real punk. Sucking cock in an alley for cocaine.

mondblut

Arcane
like the gag about the old hippie, except it's now about the old guy in the black trenchcoat and ray-bans at the nightclub, still trying to live the old dream from 20 years ago.

:negative:

Fuck you, man. You have triggered my middle age crisis PTSD.

mondblut

Arcane
Can you imagine a game set in like the fifties, but like the way the fifties saw the future? Yeah you're right holy shit who the fuck would want to play that old of shit.

Well, that's a different thing. Playing Bloodlines or Redemption was, like, "yay, it's almost like my average friday night, except that in the game, I actually drink blood from those goth sluts I get to fuck in a club toilet". By 2015, witnessing those goth night haunts would be like witnessing a Ren Fair - people larping a zeitgeist long past of which they don't even have a firsthand experience :negative:

A truly contemrorary Vampire game would have to be set in pretentious, faux-dilapidated dj bars and involve below average, horribly dressed hipster chicks delivering their blood in a latte-like shape. No more torn fishnets and leather corsets. No more fingering a Dracula bride lookalike while standing Dr. Martens sole-deep in someone's piss.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's just what retardo-hollywood pushes on us to make everything more and more 'progressive' and throw out any link to the past...even to shit like punk etc.

I've seen the changes myself from the 80s onward.

And it's not necessarily more progressive, there are swings. The 50s, 80s, and 00s were periods noticeably more conservative than the other decades.

By the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Brian Mitsoda wrote and voiced acted in 2004 said:
Does your penis always seem to be getting in the way? "I got the last of the groceries, honey. I just need to close the trunk." (trunk slams, scream of pain) "One more nail and this bird house will be as good as new!" (hammer strike, scream of pain) "I'm sorry, sir. This dressing room is for women only." You don't have to let this happen to you. Hi, I'm doctor Fred Tuck. Don't let your penis interfere with the quality of your life anymore. I have performed over three hundred sex changes in my career, and not one of my patients has ever asked for their tackle box back. Come to Tuck's Sex Exchange in the next month, and I'll give you a free estimate. Don't let your piece interfere with your peace of mind. Tuck's Sex Exchange: located off Beverly Drive. Look for the sign with Toothy, the surgical saw.

Does anyone think jokes like this could make it into a game now with Brian's wife and indie clique being the way they are? After Firedorn?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well, that's a different thing. Playing Bloodlines or Redemption was, like, "yay, it's almost like my average friday night, except that in the game, I actually drink blood from those goth sluts I get to fuck in a club toilet". By 2015, witnessing those goth night haunts would be like witnessing a Ren Fair - people larping a zeitgeist long past of which they don't even have a firsthand experience :negative:

A truly contemrorary Vampire game would have to be set in pretentious, faux-dilapidated dj bars and involve below average, horribly dressed hipster chicks delivering their blood in a latte-like shape. No more torn fishnets and leather corsets. No more fingering a Dracula bride lookalike while standing Dr. Martens sole-deep in someone's piss.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Flanel shirted vampires everywhere sipping their overpriced lattes in Starbucks. Vamp clans would have their own WhatsApp groups filled with faggotry. This could be an awesome (and hilarious) premise to explore if you'd make it about some old school vampire who just woke up in the modern day only to see how pussified everything is now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom