Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Paradox Interactive is going public

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Publicly traded company = RIP

Josh Sawyer said:
Many publishers are publicly traded. They are primarily interested in two categories of games, both of which generate a large return on investment (ROI): big budget/big sellers and shovelware. ROI is what matters, because ultimately they answer to a sea of faceless, uncaring investors who want their $4/share investment to turn into $100/share in two quarters. Absolutely everything else is subordinate to that. Everything.

The "lovingly-crafted mid-budget niche game" doesn't fit into most publisher strategies. For the same reasons that they are considered niche games, they must be marketed in a different way, pitched to retailers in a different way, and most publishers don't want to deal with it.

The exceptions to this trend may include digital distribution only, since retailers/cost of goods are out of the picture, and platforms where the hardware is relatively low tech (cell phones/Nintendo DS/Sony PSP, etc.).

Tytus

Arcane
http://images.firstcovers.com/covers/userquotes/y/you_either_die_a-84671.jpg

you_either_die_a-84671.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Clueless investors demanding that Paradox games make more money than some AAA game they read on the newspaper last week and wanting some ex Coca Cola or soap factory suit on their board to "streamline" production on 3... 2... 1. It was good to know you Paradox, it is a pity things ended this way.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, it was fun, Paradox. I hoped you would do good. It seems those hopes are shattered.

I don't know who in their right mind thought this is a good idea? This is the shities thing I heard since Vietnam.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://digital.di.se/artikel/paradox-interactive-gar-till-borsen

Google Translate said:
Paradox Interactive goes to the stock exchange

Games studio Paradox Interactive going public, can Di Digital reveal. The listing will take place before mid-year. "We want to let more owners both among the staff and the players," said the CEO and main owner Fredrik Wester.

Paradox Interactive is one of Sweden's fastest growing game developer.CEO Fredrik Wester, who owns just over 39 percent of the company, has previously stubbornly avoided the questions about IPO despite market pressure has been great. But now he confirms that the company launched an IPO process.

"The important thing is to get the owners who are long term and want to be part of our journey," he says.

Other major owners of Paradox is the investment company Spiltan and financier Peter Lindell, principal owner of the venture capital firm Rite Internet Ventures.

Avanza will keep the listing process, but the prospect is still not yet confirmed.

"We have a fun and different way to do this spreading of ownership on. The process will take take place in the traditional way. Exactly how do we talk about when all the details are clear, "said Chairman Hakan Sjunnesson.

The company's employees and fans of the game world will thus be prioritized. But the door is not closed for institutional investors.

"We expect that they too will be interested. No one is excluded, "says HĂĄkan Sjunnesson as via private company owns more than 4 percent of Paradox Interactive.

The reason for listing is that the company needs capital.

"We have cash in the bank and we would need banking assistance for buying it is also no problem. But a note of course gives access to the capital market, we would like to make acquisitions. Currently, we have no such immediate plans ", said Fredrik Wester.

At the recent spread of ownership two years ago invested financier Peter Lindell nearly 84 million in a combination of rights issue and purchase of shares valued Paradox Interactive to 500 million.

"We have not yet confirmed how much of that will be sold out now, it's a small part of everyone's possession. But clearly the company is worth much more today, "says HĂĄkan Sjunnesson.

The investment company Spiltan has previously valued its holdings of 37 percent of Paradox Interactive to between 480 and 813 million. It would give an overall value of the company at 1.3-2.2 billion.

Paradox recently published its financial statements for 2015, which showed record sales. Net sales were SEK 604 million and profit before tax rushed to 242 million. The figures were slightly doped since the company postponed some game launches in 2015.

Fredrik Wester do not want to give any detailed forecast for the next few years.

"It is always difficult because it depends on how the market looks like, what games we can release and what other games are launched. But the plan is to grow aggressively over the next four years. "

He sees three elements that can be developed further in the company. In addition to PC games, which are sold mainly via Steam, the company aims to go into games for consoles and step into the mobile gaming world for real.

"We've said it a long time and now it's time to go in there."

Paradox released five new games in the last year and a number of so-called expansions to existing games. This year the company come up with several games, including a strategy game in space "Stellaris" and World War strategy game "Hearts of Iron IV".

"We have spent considerable resources in both games and had a strategy to make them more elaborate in order to be able to become big sellers," said Fredrik Wester.

Last year, Paradox Interactive a mega hit with 'Cities: Skylines, "which was sold in the first month, a million copies.

Last fall, the company was bought roleplaying White Wolf Publishing. The idea is to produce board games, books and ultimately new PC games on the trademarks of White Wolf's briefcase.

Fredrik Wester tone now down expansion plans for Asia.

"We are for a number of discussions but has no partner ready for the market," he says.

Tbh I had thought they might already be public. The Swedish stock exchange ain't exactly NASDAQ

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
I imagine Swedish (((investors))) will heavily push the anti-European, anti-White, SJW angle in every Paradox game from here on. Avoid their games like the Red Death (pro-tip: you can't).

Delbaeth

Learned
From the other thread:
Can't wait for Candy Crusader Kings™, Clash of Iron™ or Europa Bejewelled™.

Until hostile takeover in 2020 by Microsoft to prove they're coming back to PC Gaming™.
Until shutting down in 2027 after two aborted F2P, made Windows-store-the-another-try™ only.
And Johan coming back to Kickstarter to make a Hearts of Iron successor in 2029. Heads of Steel planned for 2031. Delayed to 2035 because trying to jump into another VR bandwagon and "when it's done". Early Access in 2033. Actual release in 2036, when another Early Access comes for HoS II. Petitions for proper Medieval Rulers, Bismark and Colony Conquest denied by Johan because he wants to sell the engine where settings are modules™ ($50 base price for engine, $20 base price for setting, $5 classic™ DLC) where the HoS series is the official module supported. The fans obviously follow.

Enjoy the futuuuuure.

pippin

Oh fuck, there goes Paradox. There is NO hope at all for a good new VtM game. Period.

RIP...

It's better for you ad for everybody to just accept that Bloodlines was more or less a happy accident and that these kind of games won't be made again, ever. We don't live in the same context and the generational gap is simply too deep.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Something I learnt with both my interests in videogames and sex is that you need to enjoy it while it lasts.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You had to learn to enjoy sex?

Did you completely skip your teenage years? Because I remember every single atom in my body telling me exactly what they wanted and how much they enjoyed it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
City Skylines is a good game, Stellaris looks promising and by the news we got of Vampire the Masquerade franchise, they were good news, Paradox was slowly getting on the path of incline at turtle's pace but doesn't matter now, the decline has no mercy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom