Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox is the best company ever :love:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

How often do they have -66%/-75% on CK2/EU4 stuff over at Steam? I kinda feel like lubing up for some swedish jew lovin', but not sure I want it magnum-sized just yet.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
How often do they have -66%/-75% on CK2/EU4 stuff over at Steam? I kinda feel like lubing up for some swedish jew lovin', but not sure I want it magnum-sized just yet.

Quite often. Theres a new EU4 dlc coming so probably another sale soon.
Yea, generally only the newest DLC and The Old Gods is not on sale every other week.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also theres little sense in buying Paradox DLC right when they are available, you usually need AT LEAST two patches to play them properly.

Xeon

Augur

At 16:0X they talk about PoE and they seem excited, I think they met Josh and he had answers to everything.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
AngryJoe looks like a rattlesnake bit him in the face. Before that shill starts talking about grilling developers, maybe he should grill some chicken instead.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Pretty good interview, although AngryJoe is kinda irritating to me. I could not get a 'read' on the guy on the right when they were talking about stuff being in the pipeline. Part of me thinks it's Rome, they're just not saying it's Rome because of the things they actually talked about in the interview: letting news out too early about projects that may or may not work out. But my brain thinks it's Vicky III because with HoI4's release a new Victoria would allow players to slip from CK2 straight to HoI4 without having VictoriaII being the 'dated' game in between, whereas a Rome II would be on the complete opposite end of the historical spectrum. From a gamer perspective, though, I would much prefer Rome over another Vic.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
It's gonna be something in which marketing they can use CK2 as CK2 is their best selling game so it won't be Victoria 2 I think, but it might be Rome 2, or similar title which is set before Ck2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...anks-and-the-banner-saga.html#~p4H9TdREgw6kNn

Paradox on why it passed on publishing World of Tanks and The Banner Saga

Paradox Interactive revealed why it passed on publishing a number of high profile games in recent years, including World of Tanks and The Banner Saga.

Speaking at its annual Paradox Convention, vice president of acquisition Shams Jorjani revealed the core principles that "define the soul or character of a Paradox game", which include replayability, deep and demanding gameplay, allowing players to tell their own stories through their actions and offering modularity so the base game can be updated in future.

gaming-the-banner-saga.jpg

© Stoic

The Banner Saga

Jorjani pointed to its line of grand strategy games such as Crusader Kings 2 as examples that "perfectly embody" these elements, and said why games such as The Banner Saga, Xenonauts and Pid didn't make the cut.

"These games were essentially filtered out, in part, due to them not matching our pillars," he told attendees including Digital Spy.

"The Banner Saga is a wonderful game, I love it, it's one of the most gorgeous games I've ever seen, but it's not a Paradox game.

"It doesn't have the depth that we were looking for at the time. There's a lot of money to be made in a lot of games, but it's not always our money to make."

pid_1.jpg

© Might and Delight

Pid was also described as a "great game" but "not something we could make [work]" with its short length and little replay value.

In a follow-up roundtable interview with CEO Fredrick Wester, it was revealed the decision to pass on World of Tanks at an early stage was "mostly a budget issue".

"I didn't have the money to pay up," he explained. "I was really thrilled by the idea, but we weren't sure about the business model, either, because we haven't tried that before."

Jorjani also discussed games it funded and published that didn't perform so well critically or commercially, but were "good ideas" often ahead of their time.

gaming-world-of-tanks-screenshot-1.jpg

© Wargaming.net

World of Tanks

Examples mentioned include open-world sandbox survival game Salam - "I think if Salam was released today it would have been hugely different traction... You don't need to explain the concept," Jorjani said - and Dungeonland, a four-versus-one multiplayer game released in early 2013 that is similar in concept to Evolve and Fable Legends.

There was also Gettysburg: Armored Warfare, a real-time strategy, third-person shooter hybrid created by a single developer in 2012, and was critically panned on release with a Metacritic average of 22.

"We [gave it a chance] and it doesn't always work out. But there are other examples of one-man armies making games with weird ideas that actually pan out and end up costing Microsoft a lot of money!" Jorjani said.

"But I'm glad we made that chance. I'm not saying that it had the potential to become a Minecraft; perhaps if we had done it quite differently and started smaller and not with multiplayer, it would have been a good idea."

gettysburg.jpg

© Paradox Interactive

Despite this, Jorjani said that the publisher would be happy signing such games in future, but would approach them in a "smarter way".

"These are all games that I'd say haven't done tremendously well for us, but I'm really proud that we signed them, and I would sign them again," he explained.

"The problem is not that we signed these games, it was we did a lot of things at the same time.

"Doing a new genre, with a new team, with a new technology, on a new platform, on a new IP at the same time as a growing organisation - probably not the best thing. Maybe just do two of these. A lot of these ideas inherently were sound at the time."

For the first time, Paradox Interactive didn't announce any new games at its conference, instead focusing on showcasing its line-up of games releasing in 2015, including Cities: Skylines and Pillars of Eternity, both out in March.

It will also release its first PS4 games, Magicka 2 and Hollowpoint, by the end of the year.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Cult Development: A Paradox Profile
By Adam Smith on February 19th, 2015 at 7:00 pm.

ppheader.jpg

“We don’t want to be a cult.” Shams Jorjani is VP of Acquisition and Portfolio Strategy at Paradox Interactive. He’s the guy who reads through and listens to a thousand MOBA pitches and occasionally finds a Teleglitch hidden behind them. He laughs at the cult line as soon as its out there. This, after all, is a company that frequently dresses its employees in coloured wizard robes, faces concealed.

Cultish maybe. Cult adjective rather than cult noun. Bruce Campbell’s career rather than Tom Cruise’s alternate career.

Jorjani is discussing the company’s publishing arm, alongside CEO Fred Wester and COO Susana Meza Graham. Summarised, the message is one of concentrate focus. Paradox know how to make a certain kind of game and it stands to reason that they know how to help external developers who are making that kind of game. On top of that, they want the Paradox brand to mean something to the people who play their games – the logo shouldn’t just be a seal of approval, it should be a sign of crossover appeal.

Not that any of the three is likely to use the word “brand” without throwing up scare quotes with their hands or through the inflection of their voice. There’s a distinct lack of corporate equivocation, even when all the talk is about the “pillars” of design (not to be confused with the Pillars of Eternity). In fact, when Paradox describe what kind of projects they’d like to publish, they’re talking about the kinds of games most of us enjoy – high on replayability, deep, and supportive of the kind of modular design that easily allows for updates and expansions.

ppfred.jpg

The latter might be offputting to those who (sometimes justly) flinch when DLC is mentioned but, as I mentioned in my article about the third anniversary of Crusader Kings II, Paradox are looking to sell and support rather than sell and resell with minor updates a year later. And the reaction when free-to-play is mentioned ranges from wariness to mild hostility. Disregarding the spiffing Magicka: Wizard Wars for now, which seems like an experimental release from a business perspective if not a design perspective, Paradox are staying away from in-game transactions.

But that’s not to say they’re stuck in a traditional sales model. Quietly – so quietly that nobody really seems to have noticed – they’ve been recalibrating and reinventing the sales process and digital shelf life for the kind of long-tail game they’ve been making for almost two decades. To some extent, the quality of Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV is irrelevant to their long-term success. They’re the kind of niche games that could find their audience within the first couple of months of release. Even if the niche might be expanding, how are strong sales maintained for three years?

RPS_Cities_Skylines_3.jpg

The expansions help. They improve the games, always release alongside free updates, and create fresh conversations about features new and old. That, in turn, provides a new window in which to reach new players, by offering discounts while the conversation is happening. It helps that one of the core pillars of a Paradox games is storytelling – player-led storytelling.

It’s no mistake that Paradox were one of the first companies, in my memory, to recognise the potential value of Twitch and YouTube. It’d be easy to look at the moving parts of a game like Crusader Kings II and wonder how video could be an attractive proposition, but strategy Let’s Play videos don’t need to be flashy – they’re the home of commentary, conversation and collaborative thinking. Almost every time I mention a grand strategy game here on the site, someone in the comments or by email will ask for video recommendations.

Those interfaces aren’t quite as intimidating when you have a friendly voice in your ear and sometimes you just want to see a pagan empire tormenting the Pope and don’t have time to do it yourself.

abraham.jpg

Combine all of that with comedic trailers that will probably manage to stick in your head even if the jokes don’t quite land and you have a recipe for long-term engagement. It should be mentioned that “engagement” is another one of those words that would probably bring out the scare quotes.

On the development side, it’s easy to ignore the effort that has gone into establishing and maintaining such a strong profile. The internal Paradox Development Studio is led by some of the best minds in the business and they have the freedom and resources to experiment within their niche. That’s another advantage of the modular design and internal support for long-term expansions.

When I spoke to CK II lead designer Henrik Fåhraeus about the Rajas of India expansion last year, he admitted he’d had to do a fair amount of historical research. He hadn’t imagined that adding new cultures, religions and geography would necessarily be viable two years after release. Crusader Kings II, in its current form, does not force the player to engage with either crusades or kings, just as Europa Universalis is continuing to expand options and depth of simulation away from the traditional Old World hub.

The publishing arm of Paradox is a different story.

tglitch.jpg

Four years ago, when I first attended a Paradox Convention, I thought the company was attempting to reinvent its publishing arm as something like a Microprose for the modern PC gaming era. Titles like Warlock: Master of the Arcane and Impire had direct analogues to games from the nineties golden age (Master of Magic and Dungeon Keeper respectively), and the focus on strategy and simulation games fit the mould of Meier’s one-time home. Somewhere along the line, the outlook changed. At this year’s convention, the portfolio was noticeably streamlined and there were no announcements about new titles.

This may be partly due to the cancellation of Runemaster, an internally developed Norse RPG that was shown at the previous Convention and at last year’s Gamescom. While they were happy with some of the systems and ideas, and particularly the theme, Wester says it was hard to find “the fun”. Jorjani claims that Paradox would publish games that didn’t live up to expectations again – including Impire, Game of Dwarves and Gettysburg – because the lessons learned were important and best gained through experience. I sense a stronger air of regret around Runemaster, perhaps because it’s such a recent project but perhaps also because the effects of cancelling were felt closer to home.

euivwit1.jpg

One result of that cancellation is a stronger focus on what is happening rather than what might be happening. There are games in development, but we’re not told what they are. Not until they’re absolutely definitely one hundred percent ready to be revealed, and certain to be released in some form.

The same is true of third party projects. We know about Pillars of Eternity because we already did. Paradox came to the project when it was a known entity and didn’t hesitate. Wester says that a journalist asked if he had any doubts when considering working with Obsidian.

“Are you kidding? It’s Obsidian. Making an RPG. That’s it. I’m there.”

I asked Jorjani about Teleglitch, another game that became a Paradox title after its initial exposure to the public. “I’d love to do more Teleglitch. I think it’s the best game we’ve ever published.”

I’m also interested in licenses. Paradox mostly work with their own intellectual properties, although they make no claim on the IP of titles that they publish rather than develop. In the grand strategy niche that they’ve made their home, surely there’s room for a Warhammer 40K project or…

“There’s only one license I’d like to work with.” Wester knows that we know the answer. “I’ve been a fan since I first started reading the books.”

The license is Game of Thrones. Of course it is. When I first wrote about Crusader Kings II, I said it was the best Game of Thrones game that would ever exist, and I wasn’t being enough of a smartarse to consider that somebody would make a total conversion. The base game, unmodded, creates stories packed with incest, betrayal and bloody murder. Kings clash and crows feast.

poeheader.jpg

Wester mentions discussions with HBO, causing me to prepare a newsflash Tweet, but the discussions are about the mod.

“They’re not shutting it down. They’re just a bit… wary about us monetising it, or if we’re marketing it.”

So why not offer to monetise the license by making a bespoke Game of Thrones grand strategy game?

“It would make a great franchise for us, it’s just that we just need to get over that inner feeling that [licensing] is not the right thing to do. It’s a lot about creative control.”

When I speak to Paradox today, I don’t see those reflections of Microprose. It’s tempting to take qualities like the aversion to free-to-play and dependence on complex PC games, and to draw up a picture of a company that is somehow in thrall to the past. Paradox are looking forward though and even though I feel as if they’ve applied the brakes a little over the last twelve months, that might be a precautionary measure as they navigate toward the next stretch.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Magicka fits in with lots of replability and things to do.

You little naive shit it's about DLC whoring business model and delivering a half finished game with a few free updates thrown in to fellate their increasingly idiotic fanbase.
That doesn't work with visual novels.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Adam Smith and his invisible hand.

sometimes you just want to see a pagan empire tormenting the Pope and don’t have time to do it yourself.

Actually, I want the other way around.

the cancellation of Runemaster, an internally developed Norse RPG that was shown at the previous Convention and at last year’s Gamescom. While they were happy with some of the systems and ideas, and particularly the theme, Wester says it was hard to find “the fun”.

The theme is old and exhausted. Also, it was probably some shitty skyrim clone. Thus, no fun.

I’m also interested in licenses. Paradox mostly work with their own intellectual properties, although they make no claim on the IP of titles that they publish rather than develop. In the grand strategy niche that they’ve made their home, surely there’s room for a Warhammer 40K project

That would be interesting.

“There’s only one license I’d like to work with.” Wester knows that we know the answer. “I’ve been a fan since I first started reading the books.”

The license is Game of Thrones.

:badnews:

When I first wrote about Crusader Kings II, I said it was the best Game of Thrones game that would ever exist, and I wasn’t being enough of a smartarse to consider that somebody would make a total conversion. The base game, unmodded, creates stories packed with incest, betrayal and bloody murder.

*Vomits*

That's because CK2 is a shitty game and unworthy of the legacy of the original Crusader Kings.

When I speak to Paradox today, I don’t see those reflections of Microprose.

I miss Microprose. I have a love/hate relation with Paradox. So much wasted potential.

GrainWetski

Arcane
the cancellation of Runemaster, an internally developed Norse RPG that was shown at the previous Convention and at last year’s Gamescom. While they were happy with some of the systems and ideas, and particularly the theme, Wester says it was hard to find “the fun”.

The theme is old and exhausted. Also, it was probably some shitty skyrim clone. Thus, no fun.

It was isometric and turn-based. Also, Skyrim =/= Norse.

Athelas

Arcane
Paradox on why it passed on publishing World of Tanks and The Banner Saga

Paradox Interactive revealed why it passed on publishing a number of high profile games in recent years, including World of Tanks and The Banner Saga.

Speaking at its annual Paradox Convention, vice president of acquisition Shams Jorjani revealed the core principles that "define the soul or character of a Paradox game", which include replayability, deep and demanding gameplay
This clearly isn't true, they are publishing an Obsidian game.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

It was isometric and turn-based. Also, Skyrim =/= Norse.

Whatever, norse is overused anyway. In my defense, I backed Thorvalla.

2dUPnlu.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unsuccessful & canceled :)

How many have you backed that have been successful?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom