Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Paradox is the best company ever :love:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, you can always put a twist on things

maxresdefault.jpg

Executr

Cipher
Hearts of Iron IV Sells Half a Million Copies
Mon, Feb 20, 2017 15:00 CET
Paradox's WWII Strategy Game Conquers the World.

Paradox Development Studio is thrilled to announce that Hearts of Iron IV, its World War II themed strategy wargame, has sold 500,000 copies worldwide since its release in June 2016. This milestone follows record sales for Stellaris, Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II, once again confirming Paradox as the premier developer of computer strategy games.

Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive, underlines how the continued success of Paradox games justifies the company philosophy.

“The PC remains the primary platform for games of this nature,” Wester says. “Even genres that have traditionally been seen as niche can find a large audience, if a developer is dedicated to quality, variety and learning from both previous experiences and the community at large.”

Hearts of Iron IV recently saw the release of Together for Victory, the first major expansion to the game. Lead Designer Dan Lind is very pleased with the ongoing development of the game, and the team remains committed to continually improving the HoI experience.

"As a result of this success we are able to take advantage of extra time to add tweaks and polish to the game. Our community has high standards, and we will work hard to to live up to their expectations in the coming weeks and months. We really want HoI to be the best it can be for our fans."

Source: http://news.cision.com/paradox-inte...-iron-iv-sells-half-a-million-copies,c2190877

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So, yeah, they're gonna announce new releases also at PDXCON:

This year, Paradox is opening the doors to its fabled PDXCON to the general public for the first time. The event isn't just about all of the awesome activities, it's also for announcing great new content! Join us in Stockholm May 13-14th, and be among the FIRST to hear about our hottest (and most secret) upcoming releases.

Maybe they'll reveal Tyranny DLC there.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Frontier Developments, Paradox Studios, Colossal Order, and Mojang Combine Their Powers for a PDXCON Super Panel

Gaming Luminaries Will Discuss Building Games for Gaming Builders

Stockholm - April 18, 2017 - PDXCON attendees, mark your calendars: on May 13th at 3 PM, the minds behind some of the world’s most creative games will participate in an hour-long panel about the gaming sandboxes that have captured our imaginations and never let go.

Creating Games for an Equally Creative Community” will examine how hit titles like Minecraft, Cities: Skylines, and Planet Coaster inspire player’s creative instincts, and how designers decide which features of an infinite list of possibilities to include.

Just who are the titans of the gaming industry who will be taking part? We’re so glad you asked! The panelists are:
The panel will be taking place during PDXCON, Paradox’s annual event that - for the first time - is open to the public. PDXCON is taking place in Stockholm on May 13 and 14, and you can still buy tickets here: https://www.paradoxplaza.com/pdxcon-2017-standard-ticket
http://paradoxplaza.us3.list-manage...0f6574f4d360bd22a5&id=38f03610fd&e=0682375f90

Wonder if there'll be an RPG panel with Obsidian devs.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They deserve it. Been developing the mod over the course of multiple games, and it's damned good.
I'm really looking forward to the HoI4 version of Kaiserreich to get out of alpha phase, since it looks like they got a really amazing set of features coming.

It's worth a spin now; obviously incomplete but there's enough done to show you what the finished product will look like. And it's glorious.

Plus their artwork & music is worth playing through to experience.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/05/paradox-crusader-kings-2-future/

Paradox on the future of historical strategy, RPGs and their internal development studio

By Adam Smith on June 5th, 2017 at 7:00 pm.

06stellarisutopiab.jpg

At the Paradox Convention last month, I was hoping to see something new from Paradox Development Studio, the internal team responsible for the company’s core strategy titles. There were new expansions for Europa Universalis IV [official site] and Hearts of Iron IV [official site], and the hiring of Jon Shafer is an interesting move, but no actual games were announced. I sat down with creative director Johan Andersson and CEO Fredrik Wester about the possibility of a Crusader Kings [official site] sequel, the expansion model, and what the future holds for the development side of Paradox.

The convention was open to the public this year, for the first time, bringing in hundreds of fans from around Europe and the world. There were talks from developers, live performances of medieval music, open air bars and barbecues in an unseasonally chilly Stockholm, and, of course, games. In the courtyard of Gamla Riksarkivet, the 19th century former National Archives that hosted the event, people played boardgames, while inside there were LAN events for Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis, as well as competitive matches of Steel Division.

Previously, these annual conventions have been press events. Hosting a gathering with hundreds of fans is a very different proposition and it’s a sign of Paradox’s growth, both in popularity and as an entity, that an event on this scale is possible. In the six years that I’ve been covering Paradox, I’ve seen a lot of changes in the company as well as the conventions, and most have been on the publishing side. From A Game of Dwarves and Dungeonland to Pillars of Eternity and Cities: Skylines.

13citiesskylines.jpg

The way that past mistakes and experiments have informed the current approach to publishing is interesting, and I may cover that in more detail elsewhere, but first I want to look at what has seemed the more stable and unchanging part of the company: the grand strategy titles that have been the foundation and core of the internal development studio. With Crusader Kings II now five years old and twelve expansions deep, and Europa Universalis IV a relatively sprightly four years and ten expansions, what is the future of these titles? At what point are they done and at what point does the thought of a sequel come up.

Johan Andersson is a designer, primarily on Europa Universalis, and the manager of the Paradox Development Studio. I asked him, first of all, whether he and his teams were already thinking about sequels, and if so how they’d avoid cutting out content that had been added through DLC, following what I refer to as The Sims Problem, whereby a sequel is less than the sum of its predecessor’s parts.

When will Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis, in their current incarnations, be finished?

“There are two driving forces. One is the creative force; what do we want to do? The other is a business force; as long as the amount of people playing keeps growing, we’re making more money, and that means, from a business perspective, we shouldn’t stop making new expansions.

“But if we don’t have good ideas and the things we make aren’t good enough, then it’s time to move on to something new. So we have the business force that tells us our current approach is a super-smart financial decision, but the creative drive is still there because there are lots of cool things that we still want to put into the games. So I can’t say when any game will be finished because we don’t know.”

nepal.jpg

And as for the question of whether there will ever be a Crusader Kings III, the answer is a simple “maybe”. I ask Andersson to elaborate, since the numbering of EU, Hearts of Iron and CK suggests sequels are very much part of the design process at Paradox.

“There would have to be a reason to make sequels, and a killer unique selling point. We wouldn’t make a sequel just for the sake of it. Updated graphics would not be a selling point in itself. It has to have a reason to exist, and we need to feel we can’t make those changes in the existing titles.

“Some things that I’ve been toying with in EU IV involve streamlining. We have estates, we have legitimacy, we have stability, we have corruption – how can we make all of that more streamlined? Less figures to keep track of, but a more complex model. We’d be cutting away stuff, but we wouldn’t be removing content. Those are things that should be done when, or if, we make a sequel.

“But we wouldn’t make EU V just for the sake of it. There’s no cut-off point when we would automatically move on to a sequel.

“I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that it’s a good idea to make a sequel. We’ve spent a lot of effort building a development process that allows us to make profitable, regular expansions, and the number of users keeps growing. We’re close to four years with EU IV, five and a half on CK II, and that graph is still growing.

This leads me back to a theory I’ve mentioned on these pages before; that Paradox games eventually become their own sequels. Andersson agrees.

“Yeah. If you’re comparing EU IV today to the game at release, we’ve done much more work than between EU I and II. We’d be at EU XII.”

Andersson’s role has evolved over the years. In fact, there’s been an abrupt change after years of gradual evolution. Three years ago, I spoke to CEO Fred Wester about his own role at the company and he admitted that he wasn’t particularly happy with certain aspects of his job. The company was growing and had stopped being a Cheers-like environment where everybody knows your name. Growth was good, Wester believed, but it had to be handled correctly, and he wasn’t entirely sure what his role should be in encouraging growth while also facilitating healthy intake of new staff.

13eu4mandate.jpg

It’s worth going back to both Wester and Andersson’s first involvement with the company to understand how their positions have changed. Wester likes to tell stories of the early days, when Paradox had a handful of staff and everyone pitched in to put manuals and discs into boxes when the time came to ship a game. Andersson was already in place when Wester arrived, having spent three years at Funcom after dropping out of university in 1994.

“…in ’97 I made my own company with a bunch of friends, now scattered all over the world, from IO to all over the US. We were bad at selling things though so we ran out of money before the game was finished,” says Andersson.

“It was a two person action game inspired by Tomb Raider – it was ’97 after all – and you had two characters and had to solve puzzles in a 3d world. You had a slave and a harem girl and you started by escaping a palace that you were trapped in. The slave was strong and the girl was nimble. It was interesting to make but we didn’t sign contracts, we ran out of money, and in January ’98 I thought fuck it, I’ll move back to Stockholm. And I applied to work at Target because they were working on a historical strategy game called Europa Universalis.

“I was senior programmer there and when that company downsized I was the only one left around. I finished it basically by myself.”

Target was a Swedish tabletop game publisher, from which the core of Paradox formed. Wester came along some years later, initially brought on as a consultant. He’s responsible for pushing the company into digital distribution and for taking risks on the publishing side.

“Fred is a risk taker,” Andersson tells me. “That’s how we grew so much.”

Not because of the relative accessibility of Crusader Kings II, the RPG-strategy hybrid, or the success of third-party titles like Magicka?

“That too, but we needed to take risks.”

Half an hour later, when Andersson had been pulled into other interview duties, I asked Wester if he considered himself a risk taker.

“Yes. I get bored otherwise.”

24pes2017.jpg

I’ve known Wester for five years so I’m familiar with the way he’ll often glance around the room, distracted, during an interview or informal conversation. He’s always looking for something else, which isn’t to say he’s not interested in what’s already happening; I get the impression he’d happily multi-task his way through life. In fact, when he arrived at the fanfest, organised by his own company and for their fans and the press, he was running slightly late because he’d been coaching a youth football team.

“We won 17-0. They’re often better than the other teams because they train a lot.” He laughs at this, aware that his approach to coaching is probably as absurdly over-energised as most things he turns his hand to.

One of the creative forces within Paradox once told me that Wester’s biggest problem, as a boss, is that he can’t keep himself from interfering. Not a single project existed – and this was four years ago – that Wester wouldn’t want to poke at and influence in some way. “He tells us we need to fence ourselves off so we can have some privacy and get on with work but he just sticks his head over the fence.”

This wasn’t a complaint so much as a smiling acknowledgement of Wester’s character and when I told him about it at the time, he found it hilarious: “Well, then they need to build taller fences!”

I mentioned this conversation to him at the convention couple of weeks ago and though he didn’t remember it, he did say his creative influence is effectively zero now – “nobody listens to me, and that’s a good thing!” – but he exerts influence in other ways. The purchase of White Wolf, for example. He is fond of the company and their stories, as well as some of the people there who he describes as “the best”, and I wondered if the decision to invest so much money had been purely business.

“Fifty percent business, fifty percent heart.” The percentages are clearly variable – he instantly pulls back to 80/20, then 70/30 – but there is a definite element of fandom and enthusiasm involved. Less ‘the art of the deal’ and more ‘dealing with feeling’. And that’s the thing about Wester – he’s clearly a smart businessman, a risk-taker and the rest of it, but he’s also somebody who seems to have an almost infinite reservoir of time in which to actually play games.

I asked him what his favourite game of all time was and he barely missed a beat before saying, “Pools of Radiance and Ultima IV.”

Favourite Paradox game? “Crusader Kings II.”

Death-row meal? “Pasta. No wait. Pasta and ice-cream.” So much for the risk-taking.

btech2.jpg

Wester seems more engaged than I’ve seen him in recent years. He’s proud of the publishing arm of Paradox, and working with companies like White Wolf, Obsidian and Harebrained Schemes gives him a buzz. Again, it’s the heart and the head working together; these are people making games that he wants to play as well as to represent.

Andersson reckons Paradox needed Wester and Wester knows that he needs his coders and creatives, but that doesn’t get me any closer to understanding what the future might hold for the Development Studio and its major grand strategy franchises.

“The next Crusader Kings could be an RPG,” says Wester. “I don’t know if that’s what it will be, but it could be. That would make sense.”

Andersson, meanwhile, is sticking to his guns: sequels are not necessary and not necessarily a good thing at all. He’s happier in his new role as well though, and explains how the studio has been reconfigured.

“We reorganised the studio around two years ago when I didn’t want to be administrative executive manager of everything. So I found someone to do my job and I became lead of the creative side. Thomas [Johansson] is leader of execution – programmers, artists, content designers etc. Then we have a head of verification: QA etc.

“So the people I lead are the creatives: game directors and art directors. The game directors want to make new games; that is fun. But we also have people who just want to tinker and improve existing games. Look at people like Martin [Anward] on Stellaris – he wants to come up with new ideas and have people playing them the next day. We can implement ideas so quickly and show them to people.

“With a new game it takes so many years until you have something to show. That instant gratification that comes from working with a game for years and implementing new things quickly triggers a lot in some individuals and our game directors thrive on those aspects.”

As for Andersson himself, he still dreams of making an RPG and reckons that the new work systems in place, and the better control within the studio, would help to avoid a Runemaster situation. Runemaster would have taken place across the worlds of Nordic mythology and though early ideas were shown and discussed at press events in the past, the game was cancelled in 2014.

Wester says new ideas are often attempted and then scrapped, but Paradox have learned not to talk about them publicly until they’re certain the core pillars are fun, and that the design has come along far enough to be a sure thing. There will be an RPG at some point, that is clear, but when I mention the possibility of a Paradox-developed White Wolf RPG to Wester and Johansson I get very different responses. Wester: “Well, as we know, these things take a lot of time so I have nothing to tell you. Yet.” Andersson: “I would still love to make an RPG. Not White Wolf though. I don’t like those kind of stories. I’m more a straight-up fantasy person.”

wereheader.jpg

So what would a Johan Andersson RPG look like?

“I don’t want to read a lot of text – tldr – I like action combat, like Diablo. The concept of Diablo combat – but I want it to be twice the speed, with more reaction. I don’t like the combat in BioWare games though. I also don’t like all of this casual teleportation and fast travel.

“I love the concept of games like Witcher and Skyrim, but there’s something with open worlds that kind of drives me insane.”

Andersson tells me there are three games he wants to make before retiring – a grand strategy game (DONE), an RPG (probably in the works) and… a football management game.

“When I was a teenager, on the C64, I made so many cool games for myself. A Ports of Gold clone, a strategy game simulating the Great Nordic War, a Formula One management game. I learned to code when I was twelve or thirteen. There was a manual for the C64 that taught Basic, and I had a friend and she had learned to code from her father and she taught me how these things worked.

“But one of the first games I made was a football manager game. As we’ve talked about before, I love Football Manager, or Championship Manager as it used to be called. There was a basic management game on the C64, very basic, and it took forever to sort the table after a round of matches.

“I got irritated because if your team was too good and scored too many goals in a game – I think it was seven – it would wrap back round to zero. So I coded my own football management game. This must have been before the Premier League because I called it Divison One. It must have been 1990 or 1991. I remember Blackburn were coded to be good so it must have been a long, long time ago. I even made my own window system so you could have proper windows that popped up on the C64!”

I tend to think of Andersson and the people around him as historical strategy designers, to the exclusion of just about everything else. Of the three games on his bucket list, Andersson has only really tackled the grand strategy game though, so maybe the future won’t be sequels, but entirely new worlds.

TL;DR
  • Don't expect a CK III or EU V anytime soon, or at all, unless they have plenty of new ideas that warrant a sequel.
  • CK III could be a friggin' RPG for all they know.
  • Runemaster was canceled in 2014, but they'll still release a new RPG at some point.
  • Still unclear about White Wolf. Wester insinuates that they wanna make an RPG, Andersson contradicts.
  • A football manager is also on the table.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In other news:

Paradox Interactive CFO Andras Vajlok has decided to step down and a process to recruit his successor has been initiated.

STOCKHOLM — August 14, 2017 — Paradox Interactive CFO Andras Vajlok has decided to step down and a process to recruit his successor has been initiated. Andras will remain with the company until a successor has been recruited and a thorough transition has taken place.

“When I joined Paradox 6 years ago, we wrote a long and extensive list of goals for the company that I wanted to achieve. Not only have we scratched off all goals on the list, we have also achieved them several years in advance of our original plans. Now it’s time for me to move on to new challenges and pass the torch to someone new. I will remain with the company until a new CFO has been recruited and I will support Paradox fully during the transition process and in any other areas as needed”, says Andras Vajlok.

“We are very grateful to Andras for his extensive contribution to the company”, said Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive. “He has been instrumental in running our IPO process, he has created a stable financial and legal framework for Paradox and he has been a valuable member of our management team. We wish him the best of luck in his new endeavours.”

For more information about the role and the recruitment process please contact:

Sofia Sand sofia.sand@mpya.se

https://mpyafinance.se/

For additional information, please contact:

Fredrik Wester, CEO Paradox Interactive
Email: ir@paradoxplaza.com
Phone: +4670-355 54 89

This information is information that Paradox Interactive AB (publ) is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation and the Securities Markets Act. The information was submitted for publication on August 14, 2017.

Tomorrow the Interim Report Q2 2017 will be released. Coincidence?

If you guys want the job...

Last edited:

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Interim report January – June 2017
Second quarter 2017
  • Revenues amounted to SEK 289.4 (234.9) million, an increase by 23 % compared to the same period last year.

• Operating profit amounted to SEK 162.3 (142.3) million, an increase by 14 %.

• Profit before tax amounted to SEK 162.3 (142.9) million, and profit after tax amounted to SEK 126.3 (110.6) million.

• Cash flow from operating activities amounted to SEK 139.7 (62.1) million, and cash flow from investing activities amounted to SEK -68.9 (-25.1) million.

• By the end of the period cash and short term placements amounted to SEK 253.2 (143.2) million.

• Earnings per share amounted to SEK 1.20 (1.05) per share.

• Revenue from the second quarter of 2017 are mainly attributable to Stellaris, Cities: Skylines, Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron IV and Steel Division: Normandy 44.
Important events in the second quarter
  • The new game Steel Division: Normandy 44 developed by Eugen Systems was released.

• Cities: Skylines Xbox One Edition was released, for the first time ported to console. Cities: Skylines for PS4 was announced with a scheduled release date in August 2017.

• Prison Architect: Mobile, developed by Introversion Software and Tag Games was released to tablets.

• The new game Surviving Mars, developed by Haemimont Games, was announced with planned release in 2018.

• The new game Battletech, developed by Harebrained Schemes, was announced with planned release in 2017.

• Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition was announced to PS4 and Xbox One with scheduled release in August 2017.

• Several expansions were released during the period; Death or Dishonor to Hearts of Iron IV, Mandate of Heaven to Europa Universalis IV, Third Rome to Europa Universalis IV, Mass Transit to Cities: Skylines, as well as Utopia to Stellaris.

• Paradox own game fair PDXCon took place in Stockholm in May.

• Paradox Publisher Weekend at Steam started April 6 and lasted until April 10.

• Steam Summer Sale started June 22 and continued until July 5.
Words from CEO
In it for the long haul
There’s an enduring myth about the games industry that has its roots in a time when sales of physical copies in stores was the only way to create awareness and gain revenue. The myth in question dictates that only full-priced games contribute to revenue, and that the first week sales of a new game determines its success or failure.

The truth is somewhat different. Most companies in the industry today count on one out of five games becoming a resounding success straight off the bat. It’s how well companies handle the other four releases that builds long term success.

At Paradox we avoid over-optimistic prognoses and generally keep very conservative forecasts. However we always make sure we have a “go-big” plan prepared in case the game receives an unexpectedly positive reception on the market. The plan enables us to hit the gas pedal quickly when it comes to the development of new content and greater marketing efforts. To put it very simply, you could say that we always hope for the best but plan for the worst.

That philosophy – where we don’t plan for monster hits for every launch, but rather count on longer sales periods where our long-tail generates a large part of the revenue – ensures that we can run the company in a sustainable and long term manner.

Our second quarter 2017 in many ways illustrates this strategy perfectly. We have released two full-priced games – Steel Division: Normandy 44 and Cities: Skylines for Xbox.

Steel Division is co-published together with developer Eugen Systems, which in this case meant we came into the development processes towards the end to assume responsibility over sales, marketing and distribution. The IP is kept by the developer. The pre-order campaign surpassed our expectations significantly and the game has taken a clear position in our portfolio, where we believe it will have a longer period of long-tail sales. Establishing a relationship with Eugen Systems has also been valuable. We now have a working partnership with a developer that has many similarities to our own development studio, Paradox Development Studio. Like them, Eugen Systems are very established and well-known within their niche and have built a large and dedicated community around their games.

It was also exciting to release Cities: Skylines on a new platform. In part because there are not many similar titles on Xbox One, but also due to the game’s popularity. The game shot onto several toplists at launch and the reception has been very positive among critics and gamers. Now we are preparing to release Cities: Skylines on Playstation 4 and Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition on both Xbox: One and PS4.

We have also continued to develop our DLC-model, with expansions leading to increased user scores and a steady number of growing active players. Stellaris: Utopia, our best selling expansion to date, is an excellent example of this. During the quarter we have also released the expansions “Death or Dishonor” for Hearts of Iron IV, “Mandate of Heaven” for Europa Universalis IV and “Mass Transit” for Cities: Skylines. All of which have contributed to increased activity in their respective franchises.

We ran a Paradox Publisher Weekend on Steam during the quarter, as well as participated in their yearly summer sale. Few things illustrate the strength of our broad portfolio as clearly as the successful sales campaigns during these two activities, something that was also reflected in the financial results from the period. In 2016 we released two large full price titles during Q2 – Hearts of Iron IV and Stellaris. The same quarter 2017 has looked very different yet we increased both our revenue and profit. It’s important to stress yet again that comparing financial results quarterly in the games industry is seldom productive. I have chosen to do so here only to stress the importance of a broad portfolio – comprised of base games, expansions, new and old IPs – and to highlight the important role longtail sales play to create a steady flow of income over time.

At the end of the quarter, we had the privilege to welcome Triumph Studios to Paradox. The formal transaction happened during quarter 3, but we announced the acquisition at the end of June. It’s a genuine pleasure to welcome a new and established studio to Paradox, but it’s also a great responsibility. I, and my management team, spent a lot of time in discussions with the co-founders of Triumph Studios throughout the spring to ensure that we had taken a wide range of perspectives under consideration in the acquisition. We looked at the business case, our development methods, future plans and of course company culture. Triumph Studios are a great and natural fit to the Paradox portfolio and now we look forward to an exciting future together.

I want to finish up by saying a few words about PDXCon. It’s an event we’ve had at Paradox for more than ten years and its main objective has always been to gather journalists and our developers under one roof, to give the games the media coverage they deserve. Our philosophy has always been to let developers and the games take the spotlight and PDXCon has therefore been characterized by accessibility, personality and not in the least a genuine passion for our games.

This year we decided to open PDXCon to the public for the first time. One of the goals was to keep the personal and intimate atmosphere while increasing the number of attendees almost tenfold. During a Thursday to Sunday in May, 750 people from more than 22 countries (including Australia and South Korea) gathered for a proper Paradox party. With a 91% approval rating from our visitors and more than double the media exposure for our titles (compared to GDC and Gamescom) we are more than happy with the outcome of the event. Perhaps the most remarkable feat of all was that, despite of the massive increase in scale, almost every attendee remarked upon how unique the personal interaction with our developers at the event was.

For those of us who have been at Paradox a long time, it’s both inspiring and a real energy boost to meet and talk to fans from all over the world. For our developers, those meetings give a very clear understanding of the massive impact their work has on people’s lives. For our new employees (many of whom join us as fans), it’s a fantastic introduction to the company and the company culture that they are now a part of.

For me personally, PDXCon is an annual stimulant and an event that in many ways feel like a family reunion. To be able, now and in the future, to welcome our players into that setting is something that I consider to be a great honour.

Fredrik Wester, CEO

Presentation of interim report
Fredrik Wester and Andras Vajlok will host a live stream to answer report and financial related questions on our Twitch channel on August 15 at 12:00 PM CET https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

Submit your questions before via our forum https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...eam-tuesday-aug-15-at-12-00-noon-cest.1039154/, by e-mailing them to ir@paradoxplaza.com or directly in the Twitch chat. The Twitch chat is open for anyone to view but to post comments or question you will need to create an account.

For additional information, please contact:
Fredrik Wester, CEO Paradox Interactive
Andras Vajlok, CFO Paradox Interactive
Email: ir@paradoxplaza.com
Phone: +4670-355 54 89

This information is information that Paradox Interactive AB (publ) is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation and the Securities Markets Act. The information was submitted for publication on August 15, 2017.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/interim-report-january-june-2017/

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They're doing a podcast about game business:

A podcast about the business of video games from Paradox Interactive. This week - Daniel Goldberg and Shams Jorjani reveal Shams´ biggest professional failures, discuss the SNES Classic and reveal what makes a successful games pitch.

A podcast about the business of video games from Paradox Interactive. This week - Daniel Goldberg and Shams Jorjani discuss Steam, the IGN/Humble Bundle acquisition and explain why publishers are so obsessed with building their own distribution platforms.

They probably sheds some light on their business practices, but I didn't hear them yet and probably not going to. :M (Well, unless some more interesting subjects pop up in the future episodes.)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They should invite some guys from Games Workshop while they're at. Captains of the industry, those two.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Will the podcast have DLC?
Take the pre-order extended dlc pass and get the first three dlcs for FREE. Ignore the fact that the first tree dlcs will be pointless model pack,a muslim mug compilation and some garage heavy metal band music. It will be FREE! Only now for the pitiful sum of 166 euro. If you call now you will get a 3% discount! Buy now,don't be shy,save money!

Paradox seriously disgusts me, even though I love their games. The only thing worse than their bottomless pit of DLCs are the idiots who pay them money for it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PDXCON returns next year: https://pdxcon.paradoxplaza.com/

MAY 18 - 20th

PDXCON is THE epic celebration of Paradox Interactive’s game universes and the vibrant communities that bring them to life.

This year’s PDXCON is going to be bigger, better, and bolder, with more things to do, see, and play! We can't wait to share all the plans we're making... and we will, soon!

Mark May 18 - 20th in your calendars and make sure to sign up below to stay in the loop of all awesomeness and get exclusive offers.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Paradox's survey about doing physical products (tabletop games and merchs): https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/paradoxinteractive

What is the survey about?

This survey is about physical games, merchandise, board games, books, and movies.

Is Paradox going to develop these kind of products in the future?

Maybe? Paradox's main focus is still going to be making great video games, but we could (for example) get some help developing non-gaming products based on our brands.

Also, if we do decide to make (for instance) a board game based on one of our games, it will not be an exact replica of the video games and it will not interfere with the development of the video games. We'd want it to be a proper treatment of the title, designed specifically for the new format.

8. Which of the following games would you like to see as a tabletop game (e.g. a board game, card game, or tabletop RPG)?

Europa Universalis
Crusader Kings
Stellaris
Hearts of Iron
Cities: Skylines
Magicka
Victoria

No Tyranny?

Wonder if they would like to publish PoE tabletop RPG.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

QWMqlvj.jpg

Get ready to grab your ticket on Feb 8th!

The countdown has begun! The Baron, The King, and The Emperor tickets for PDXCON 2018 will be up for grabs on February 8th. We have a limited amount of tickets for all entry levels, plus early bird pricing and a special gift for everyone that signs up during the first week, so act fast!

Check out the ticket levels and offers right now and sign up to be first in line: pdxcon.paradoxplaza.com

Cast:
-Steel Division Soldier: Jörgen “Jörgen”, Production Manager.
-Europa Universalis IV Queen: Tegan “Elinari”, QA Tester.
-Crusader Kings II King: Anders “cKnoor”, Marketing Producer.
-City Skylines City planner: Caroline “Thunderchief”, People & Performance Specialist.
-Stellaris Governor: Anna “Cookie”, User Research Administrator.
-Battletech Pilot: Denis “mistadikay“, Developer.
-Surviving Mars Colonist: Gustav “Gruffa”, Product Manager.
-Bartender: Cristian “TinyWiking”, Forum & Support Manager.
-Stellaris Blorg: Sebastian “Sterling“, Product Marketing Manager.
-Hearts of Iron IV officer: Jamieson “Jamor”, Project Lead.
-Hooded guy: Carl “SteelVolt”, Programmer.
-Red Wizard: Zeke “theLetterZ”, Community Manager.
-Green Wizard: Anna “Anona”, Project Lead.
-Yellow Wizard: Brett “Timetravel”, Game Design Specialist.
-DJ: Björn “Kuma-kun”, Audio Director.

Special thanks to Tornvillan and Aifur for the wonderful locations.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Fredrik Wester steps down as CEO and assumes Executive Chairman of the Board. Chief Commercial Officer of some online gambling company (and a member of the Board of Paradox Interactive) will be Paradox's new CEO: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/paradox-interactive-to-strengthen-team-with-new-ceo/

Paradox Interactive to Strengthen Team with New CEO
Fredrik Wester assumes full-time role of Executive Chairman of the Board

Paradox Interactive AB today announced that it will elect Ebba Ljungerud as new CEO for the company starting in August 2018. Ebba has been a member of the Board of Paradox Interactive for 4 years and is the current Chief Commercial Officer at Kindred Group. Starting in August, current CEO Fredrik Wester will assume a new role as Executive Chairman of the Board and will continue to work full-time with Paradox. The Current Chairman of the Board, Håkan Sjunnesson, will assume the post as deputy Chairman upon Wester’s new appointment.

Ebba Ljungerud has been involved in the expansive phases of several companies and has a proven background in leading companies with international operations and high complexity. She has also been responsible for guiding a number of different business areas with large personnel teams to profitability, and has also built several strong management teams. Ebba currently works as Chief Commercial Officer at Kindred Group in London (formerly Unibet Group).

These new appointments are made to better capitalize on Paradox’s growth opportunities while also significantly strengthening the support given to existing operations. The decision to appoint Fredrik Wester as Chairman of the Board will formally be made during the Annual General Meeting in May. However, all major shareholders are in agreement of the proposed changes.

“One of the main reasons we have gotten to where we are today is that we have built on what we do best, while we’ve had the courage to challenge ourselves and have not been afraid to make the changes needed to take the company to the next level,” said Fredrik Wester. “An important step in doing so is to have the right people in the right positions. Ebba has a good understanding of Paradox and our culture, along with extensive experience and the competence we need now and, perhaps most importantly, a strong will and ambition to continue developing the company. She has our fullest confidence after our years together in the board and I am convinced that she will strengthen our team here at Paradox tremendously.”

Wester continued, “Ebba will be responsible for all of our existing operations in her role as CEO, while I will be focusing on better capitalizing on Paradox’s growth opportunities. This is something I have focused heavily on during my years at Paradox but I’ve had very limited time for it over the past two years. Growth opportunities under my guidance will include mergers & acquisitions, new opportunities and business development, but I will also be supporting the organisation if needed.”

“My four years in the Paradox Board have been very similar to the development of the company over the same period,” said Ebba Ljungerud “The pace has been fast, it’s been challenging, and at times has required fast changes but above all else it has been incredibly fun. Paradox is an amazing company and I have had the privilege to work not only with Fredrik and the rest of board but also with the management team and key people in the organisation. This, combined with my experiences of leading and developing fast-growing companies, makes me eager to continue bringing Paradox forth on our planned journey. I’m very excited to continue creating results together with the people in the organisation, working with all of our stellar products, and getting to know our community better.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom