Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Radech

Augur
CI is back into niche territory(or a transitional stage to shav's low life build?), never did play around with energy shield much my self, usually opting for eldritch battery if going the caster route(and I really really like the new EB, very fun mechanic if a bit keystone heavy).

But CI is definately still viable as a build simplifier(life and chaos res no longer matters), so it might cheapen your build if trading, and at least give some fewer needed rolls on gear.

Another reason it's no longer as popular as back in open beta is that chaos damage has been nerfed to the ground, I hardly bother with chaos res anymore, it's more of a nice bonus, compared to the shotgunning titty bitches of instagib in the old days. Back then CI was suggested even for melee characters(ele cleavers).

This combined with increased physical damage(stun is calculated based on what hp you would have had if you hadn't picked CI, aka fuck all), means stun immunity is pretty much a must-have, as physical damage will hit you harder than most other builds, since you have to sacrifice quite a chunk of armor/evasion to get high ES(Mind over matter can mitigate some of this, but that makes it even harder to squeeze in auras).

Zdzisiu

Arcane
CI is back into niche territory(or a transitional stage to shav's low life build?), never did play around with energy shield much my self, usually opting for eldritch battery if going the caster route(and I really really like the new EB, very fun mechanic if a bit keystone heavy).

But CI is definately still viable as a build simplifier(life and chaos res no longer matters), so it might cheapen your build if trading, and at least give some fewer needed rolls on gear.

Another reason it's no longer as popular as back in open beta is that chaos damage has been nerfed to the ground, I hardly bother with chaos res anymore, it's more of a nice bonus, compared to the shotgunning titty bitches of instagib in the old days. Back then CI was suggested even for melee characters(ele cleavers).

This combined with increased physical damage(stun is calculated based on what hp you would have had if you hadn't picked CI, aka fuck all), means stun immunity is pretty much a must-have, as physical damage will hit you harder than most other builds, since you have to sacrifice quite a chunk of armor/evasion to get high ES(Mind over matter can mitigate some of this, but that makes it even harder to squeeze in auras).
And dont forget the freezes that you will get really fucking often if you run CI as they depend on your life too.

Anyway, anyone knows a sick Shavs low life build? Could try that on standard.

T. Reich

Arcane
Shavs low life builds are pretty much nerfed into the ground as well:
1. Blood magic gem quality bonus doesn't benefit low-life anymore.
2. Blood rage bonuses nerfed overall + damage over time increased drastically (used to be % max life as chaos -> now % max life AND % max ES as phys) + huge low-life bonus removed.
3. Reduced mana super-nerfed, dramatically reducing the number of auras that can be run.
4. Leech super-nerfed, making life+ES sustain that much harder.

In case you were wondering why you can buy a 5L shavs for under 10 ex :decline:.

Back then CI was suggested even for melee characters(ele cleavers).

I used to have a kickass unarmed facebreakers CI+VP frenzy shadow back in OB:negative:.

made

Arcane
Dat blade vortex! I'm pretty much burned out on the game but this should make for some crazy fun builds:

Radech

Augur
Dat blade vortex! I'm pretty much burned out on the game but this should make for some crazy fun builds:

Yup pretty funky skill, very torn between that and some chaos build(maybe this time viper strike will finally be good :P) - not sure whether to selfcast it or go CoC cyclone for whirly overkill - I imagine self cast will play similar to a fend build, except you can keep damaging while on the move, so probably more endgame viable.

Aothan

Magister
I think there was a time when Chris said there would not be a whirlwind type skill in Path of Exile, but as with other changes in original direction Cyclone was introduced.

any new details on prestige classes ? I'm interested to see if one of the Templar classes incorporates additional passive, or perhaps even active, shield features

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, no new ascendancy classes have been revealed so far. GGG said they will reaveal them in steps, one at a time but since there is a lot of time till Ascendancy is on, they have plenty of time to do it.

Probably after the release of Talisman they will start the gradual reveal process.

Aothan

Magister
I'm using the Empire's Grasp gauntlets for the benefit of additional armour, an attribute that notably decreases over time when trying to use both energy shield and armour type equipment, and I'll shortly be including the armour and reduced critical notable found between the centre of the Templar and Marauder's skill trees

even now the increase in armour is noticeable but I would also like to increase overall energy shield levels, which is approximately 2200. I've been thinking lately they could introduce an armour and energy shield aura that does not stack with either Discipline or Determination but gives a higher combined value of defences

Aothan

Magister
that's my third character for the latest league, first was just an unusual number of successive hits and stuns in a group a spirit had just went past, second was jumping in front of Piety as the lightning blast began, but ah the third with Magnus Stonethorn..

Aothan

Magister
the new skill tree design is available from a few sources, much of the tree looks very similar except for mainly the Shadow area which has been substantially improved, however the starting 8% attack speed for the Ranger has been replaced

Aothan

Magister
some very interesting developments have been listed on one of the development manifesto posts, in particular I'm looking forward to how the newly improved Melee Splash support gem will make Glacial Hammer similarly feasible to Ice Crash and other aoe type melee skills

I'm also curious about Point Blank as well, though I don't use a lot of projectile orientated skills

but that thread -_-; this is very telling about balance issues and why (at least for one reason) GGG has always been reluctant to try and fundamentally revise certain aspects of the game

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Patch drops on my birthday!

Happy birthday! We're nerfing surgeon's flasks :(
Quick, roll 100 of them on standard before the nerf!

To be honest, they were really too good on some high crit builds. And if you coupled them with 2-4 nodes from the tree that give flash recharge rate you would have infinite flasks because they would recharge after criting every mob pack.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
New league begins the day I'm out of town for a week. Fuck my life.

Aothan

Magister
I was going to use the timing of the new league as a good period to wait for the Ascendancy update, the new Melee Splash changes, and a few other additions are however drawing my attention. In particular Melee Splash with Shield Charge (and Glacial with Cast on melee), as it is a skill combination that could work very well but not so much that it reduces a lot of interactive gameplay. On the other hand it might just overperform

Radech

Augur
Yeah I keep looking over those ascendancy classes, when planning build for this league :P - goddammit wait for it, but I'm feeling the itch to get started again, will probably just take one char to mid-tier maps depending on how well it works.

Shield Charge + Cast on Melee kill + Glacial Cascade ? - I don't see how that could ever work - please explain I'm here for the stupid, yet brilliant builds :D

Aothan

Magister
I should have made those comments clearer, as I did realise the description would likely mislead. I meant to say, using Shield and Melee Splash as one type of combination, and Glacial Hammer with Cast on Melee as another

Cast on Melee is one of my favourite skills, but it is widely regarded as a very limited choice, which is accurate enough, however it can be used to reasonable effect for most of the game including maps. Where it has distinct limitations is with creatures, e.g. strong rare or unique types, that require concentrated skills. And to those ends if I were playing more seriously than usual, it is best to have two primary attack skills, one with Cast on Melee, and when so required one with a dedicated single-target (or simply better performing area of effect skill configuration). At times I've done this with staffs and Glacial Hammer and it can help, especially on maps when rares or Beyond type creatures are not to underestimated or can simply take too long with a relatively weaker Cast on Melee supported skill set

having said all that, it seems to me Shield Charge could change this in multiple ways, either as the main choice for when alternating from Cast on Melee, or because of its overall potential, even being designated as the new Cast on Melee Skill

I'm also not entirely certain if Glacial can really work as the basis for Cast on Melee because by vague recollection it might not have the same interactions as Ice Crash, which is very useful, because the shatter effect might prevent a cast and it is very important that Cast on Melee generates multiple castings simultaneously as often as possible as that is what gives it its particular effect when used with Arc (which is also being improved)

T. Reich

Arcane
SC4LYF!

I might bother with HC in the second half of the league once I het the handle on the new content. Gotta get those HC-only uniques.

duanth123

Arcane
So, the league starts in a few hours. We're going HC or SC on this one?

HC as usual. I'm a glutton for punishment, although I'll probably watch a few videos before I attempt the new content (Rigvald.)

I'm really hoping the new chaos skills don't disappoint

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom