Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Died yesterday while levelling as Arc+Orb of Storms to a nasty combination of two rares, one of which had a physical dmg aura while the other one was a powerful crit puncture bandit. Started the new character and levelling with traps from the start, it's way easier. Haven't tried the lab yet, was planning on getting a rejuvenation totem beforehand.
Still on the fence on using multi trap vs cluster traps, way more %less damage for one more trap is quite bad, but being able to ignore unpathable terrain for throwing traps is just too good to pass up me thinks.

After reading through their explanation for the couple of crashes yesterday I wish once again for other companies to take note on how to deal with situations like these. Server crashed again a couple of minutes ago, having the lead dev respond to it less than 4 minutes later 11PM local time on a sunday is just magnificent customer support.

Aothan

Magister
there may be changes to the probability of Jeweller orbs producing four or more sockets as I have just used about twenty on a helm with an item level of 42 and could go no higher than three sockets

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I ascended with my Witch today. An interesting idea to make a branching dungeon with traps that actually matter, but I wonder how great this idea will be after a while since you need to do it 3 times with each character. I can see it becoming annoying after a few times, never mind that if you die or worse, get DC'd for any reason, you apparently have to start the whole Labyrinth from the beginning, and it is pretty long. The lava floor trap is easily the worst of the traps. There's no timing involved with it, you just gotta spend time waiting for the lava to go away so you can run to the next safe spot. Zzz.

Aothan

Magister
I traded for gloves with Cast on them that has a meteor fall every six or seven encounters, for the early levels it is okay as a supplementary effect

Padre

Liturgist
A little update from the new league (if anyone is interested).

I've reached lvl 72 on my Marauder in the HC perandus league. Chose the Chieftain subclass and went with dual flame totems. I'm sitting at almost 5k hp, 65% reduction from high armour, all resists except chaos maxed. HP regen is 400/sec.

I've done the labirynth twice now. On normal it was quite easy even though Izaro hits very hard. But it was doable. Traps in the labyrinth scale off your total hp (I think they do) and are not mitigated by anything. And they deal so much damage that high hp regen is a must. So is a good movement skill.

Labyrinth itself is a fairly good idea but having to go through 3 of them on one char is a bit tiresome. I didn't even attempt merci Izaro, too scared of losing the char. And I'm doing T3 maps already.

The league itself reminds me of Ambush league, but with better rewards. Cadiro offers some really cool items for a modest price. Bought a pair of high end unique gloves for 1,4k coins. Now I'm gonna rerun Cruel Izaro to enchant them.

A bit of advice - if you run to a blind corner in the labirynth, check all the walls and surroundings - there's high chance there is a hidden wall switch that will lead to a dark shrine or a gold chest. Or it can even activate a hidden path to shorten the way to Izaro.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A bit of advice - if you run to a blind corner in the labirynth, check all the walls and surroundings - there's high chance there is a hidden wall switch that will lead to a dark shrine or a gold chest. Or it can even activate a hidden path to shorten the way to Izaro.

Bonus point for clicking the darkshrine to get cursed with vulnerability so you can restart the lab, only to check out if it is the same darkshrine effect again. Third time's the charm.
It does mean that certain seeds/days are rather good for farming items though, for example todays merc HC lab has both a Keeper of the Wealth darkshrine(rare jewelry off of one mob) and another one for a guaranteed unique. With a shortcut here and there some labs are clearable in less than 10 minutes, including killing argus for an additional treasure key. Ignoring the bonus objectives can easily net you 4+ treasure keys, my last run had two chests that were basically high quantity arcanist strongboxes, got ~10c off of them.

Aothan

Magister
was looking away from the screen, in the Labyrinth, when a trap moved over my character

well it is a good level design, I expect it could prove increasingly difficult at higher levels

Castozor

Scholar
So what are the tips for a new player like myself? I didn't want to spoil myself right away with looking up the most powerful builds and everything but a few pointers as what constitutes good char design are appreciated. Because the skill tree can be a bit daunting and I feel that proper planning towards some strong outlying nodes are in order before I waste my points all over the place.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Getting some guidance by looking at other players builds who outline why they skilled the way they did is never a bad idea. Just get some pointers and start playing, your first character is gonna suck anyway but it will show you the ropes and the second char will be quite decent already.

Generally said: Get a decent amount of %life/ES (120% for SC, 170% for HC) from the tree, check your resistances regularly, crafting flasks will save your life. Take tooltip DPS with a grain of salt but generally it will show you whether an item or support gem is better than the alternative one. Most importantly: Have fun.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Specializing is key.

Use your Orbs of Augmentation/Transmuation/Alteration to make levelling items. +1 to cold/fire/lightning gems weapons are amazing if you're using spells. You can craft wands/sceptres with one of the three by selling Magical wand/sceptre + Ruby/Topaz/Sapphire Ring + Orb of Alteration.

Only play hardcore.

Martius

Liturgist
I guess fitting each character stereotyper should be fine just for getting used to game mechanics. Ranger with bow, shadow with daggers, witch casting elemental spells or summoning zombies and skeletons and so on. Scion would be probably hardest since she starts right in center of skill tree.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
So what are the tips for a new player like myself? I didn't want to spoil myself right away with looking up the most powerful builds and everything but a few pointers as what constitutes good char design are appreciated. Because the skill tree can be a bit daunting and I feel that proper planning towards some strong outlying nodes are in order before I waste my points all over the place.
Also, learn how and use a lootfilter. Believe me, they are a godsend for anyone and life before they were introduced now seems like utter horror.

Here is a video by ZiggyD about lootfilters, and how to install them. They are 100% legal, endorsed by GGG, and a part of the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XBPUpCuIUQ

And here you have two ready to use lootfilters: Ziggyd's http://ziggyd.tv/featured/ziggyds-loot-filter/ and Neversink's https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1246208

I personally prefer Neversinks this days, but you can have both and easily switch between them ingame.

Castozor

Scholar
MUH REAL SENSE OF DANGER
*uses macro to instantly logout*
I'm not opposed to HC per se but never on my first playtrough if I can help it. Also during the week my internet connection can be wonky and while I don't mind losing a char trough my own stupidity, losing one to a random dc is unbearable. Having said that, thanks for the tips so far. I'll justslug trough with my melee/fire using Templar for now and if he sucks (most likely he will) I'll just reroll and try to make a better elemental melee hybrid char.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Only play hardcore.
MUH REAL SENSE OF DANGER
That's what you do or are you just spouting dank memes?

Personally, I don't like the game at all on standard(When you've played it a lot. Obviously it's different for new players) because you just make a glass cannon oneshot build and then either get oneshot or kill everything on the screen in oneshot. I don't find it much fun, but whatever floats your boat.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Only play hardcore.
MUH REAL SENSE OF DANGER
That's what you do or are you just spouting dank memes?

Personally, I don't like the game at all on standard(When you've played it a lot. Obviously it's different for new players) because you just make a glass cannon oneshot build and then either get oneshot or kill everything on the screen in oneshot. I don't find it much fun, but whatever floats your boat.
As long as you dont plan on getting a level higher than 85. Even standard chars need survivability since going all glasscannon and dying every once an hour or so will stop you from gaining any experience.

Radech

Augur
And consume all your map portals, and boot you out of the labyrinth.

Castozor - each character gets skills as quest rewards along the way, don't be afraid to try out shit a long the way, I usually change my main skill 3-4 times during levelling, and I never stick with any build plan from start to finish, - you get plenty of respecc points while levelling, and if you go melee most melee attacks will work, same for ranged and caster, some skills work better with crit, some needs aoe, some need a specific type of elemental damage, but most nodes overlap somewhere, so you don't have to respec too much if you get a better idea.

Castozor

Scholar
Thanks again for the help everyone. Yesterday I found a streamer who helped me along a bit, telling what kind of nodes I should be looking for with my elemental melee guy as well as what skills might work and which won't. So now I feel confident enough not to make major screw ups with my build and will just go in and have fun.

Gord

Arcane
Not to forget that if you stick with the game (and char) long enoug, you'll inevitably receive a full passive reset (or several) after the bigger patches.

Aothan

Magister
have just noticed the Brine shield from one of the previous leagues is now available, this is a great early game shield for energy shield users (100+ energy shield) and complements the early starting shield nodes for the Templar, the additional attack speed is beneficial as well, more so for those using Ondar's clasp

Padre

Liturgist
Zdzisiu ripped to a beyond boss in a map. I've been doing up to 73 lvl maps with Orma. Want to do merciless Izaro tomorrow. I've read that it's good to lower the damage for the first two fights and kill the adds. It makes him noticeably weaker at the final fight. Also, how much he does he have compared to merci Malachai? Anybody have any experience?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G925F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Merc Malachai is way harder in my opinion, as long as you make sure to not carry over any additional fight-mechanics in the lab. I did merc lab right after merc act3 before even doing Voll, and it wasn't exactly hard. I was playing a trapper though, I figure melee is having a harder time with him since you cannot hit and run as well.

There's always services that carry you through it, current going price for a merc lab run should be 3c.

Padre

Liturgist
I'm 82 right now. Orma is 74 I think? With his buffs I have 5500 life 1k ES, 17k armour, 500hp/sec regen. With all totems hitting a target I have 40k tool tip dps without taking flammability and elemental equilibrium into account. Granted, I have to do damage for both of us. But Orma can serve as bait. Will try to kill all the adds during first and second encounter. If we fail we can always restart the Lab

Wysłane z mojego SM-G925F przy użyciu Tapatalka

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom