Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

T. Reich

Arcane
Hey, Zdzisiu , are you going to play this league?
If so - what build?
I'm going to revisit the essence drain fun back when it came out in Talisman. This time around, I'm gonna do it with a twist and make it a berserker iron will BM spec with a few power adjustments in the late game. Since ED has not been touched in any way since then, it's gonna be glorious, with bosses and trash mobs alike melting away while I laugh in the distance.
Yeah, I will play in Softcore in AoW.

I was thinking about maybe playing Blade vortex build, never tried it and there are some big changes to it this patch, some of them look even like a buff in some aspects.

But your crazy idea seems intresting too. I will probably be pestering you with questions on how its going etc.

BV seems like a good pick if you can stomach the constant need to maintain the certain amount of stacks required for dealing decent damage.
Overall, it;s a very strong skill, and the 2.4.0 changes to it actually make it a much better map clear tool at the cost of boss killing capability, which was frankly bonkers and dererved the nerf-hammer.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I recently got back into PoE, trying a frost nova build I found on forums and I must say it is awesome. You zip around with whirling blades and Nova the whole screen. Every normal enemy dies to one cast due to Spell Echo support.

It made this game fun to play again (I also use lockstep so no desync as well). Only thing missing is offline mode because whenever anyone uses up half of my shitty internet the game has big delays.
You could also try the new vortex skill, it is like ice nova on steroids.
At first I thought you were talking about Blade Vortex but you are talking about the new Cold skill. I am lvl 69 now, hmm maybe I can find a high level Vortex skill gem and try it.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I recently got back into PoE, trying a frost nova build I found on forums and I must say it is awesome. You zip around with whirling blades and Nova the whole screen. Every normal enemy dies to one cast due to Spell Echo support.

It made this game fun to play again (I also use lockstep so no desync as well). Only thing missing is offline mode because whenever anyone uses up half of my shitty internet the game has big delays.
At first I thought you were talking about Blade Vortex but you are talking about the new Cold skill. I am lvl 69 now, hmm maybe I can find a high level Vortex skill gem and try it.
Just buy the gem from Clarrisa, it will probably be level 13 already, so just put it in a free socket (or a socket in weapon that you have on weapon swap, its a good way to level gems!) and it will level up to 18 pretty quickly, it slows down after level 18 a bit, like with any other skill gem.

Btw guys, with the changes to "cast on" gems, Mjolnier is going to get back to 100% chance to Cast Socketed Lightning Spells on Hit, as it was in the first legacy version. So basically, you can upgrade your Mjolnirs to legacy version with a Divine orb.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
The first Mjolner was merely 50%. Right now the owners of "legacy" lucky-corrupted Mjolners are crying like girls, because now their 200+ ex hammers are junk.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Just buy the gem from Clarrisa, it will probably be level 13 already, so just put it in a free socket (or a socket in weapon that you have on weapon swap, its a good way to level gems!) and it will level up to 18 pretty quickly, it slows down after level 18 a bit, like with any other skill gem.

Btw guys, with the changes to "cast on" gems, Mjolnier is going to get back to 100% chance to Cast Socketed Lightning Spells on Hit, as it was in the first legacy version. So basically, you can upgrade your Mjolnirs to legacy version with a Divine orb.
Yea I did that. I also bought a 12 quality version that I am leveling up now. Spell does more base damage than Frost Nova but it is slightly slower and has smaller AoE.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Anyone have ideas when to use shaper's orbs and on what maps? I'm guessing mountain ledges and other straightforward maps as soon as you can run them.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The first Mjolner was merely 50%. Right now the owners of "legacy" lucky-corrupted Mjolners are crying like girls, because now their 200+ ex hammers are junk.
Oh shit, I didnt realize the first Mjolner was only 50%. That is really funny, and makes me less angry that RNG gave me two Mjolniers last league!

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Anyone have ideas when to use shaper's orbs and on what maps? I'm guessing mountain ledges and other straightforward maps as soon as you can run them.
Remember that when you shape a map, the shaped version will only drop from maps of appropriate level, the higher one. I mean, if you shape tier 5 map to tier 10 map, the shaped tier 10 map will only drop from bosses of tier 8 maps, blue/yellow tier 9 mobs and tier 10 white mobs (And higher). So you wont be able to get tier 10 shaped maps from normal tier 5 maps or anything silly like that.

With that in mind, shape the maps you like running, with good layouts, and also the ones that you might farm for the map specific item drops introduced in 2.4. The new item bases.

If you shape all of you tier 10 maps, you wont be getting more tier 15 maps, just increased variety of them.

Sorry for the dumb explanation, it took me a while to understand it but it may be just me being special.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If you shape all of you tier 10 maps, you wont be getting more tier 15 maps, just increased variety of them.
Wouldn't this imply it's better not to shape any maps at all? The higher tier maps are going to be the ones that innately drop better gear anyways right? Why would you want to dilute that pool? Kinda lame, really only makes it worthwhile if you have an entire build based around farming a single type of map, which would be boring as fuck and even if that was your plan, why not build around one of the existing tier 15 maps?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
With that in mind, shape the maps you like running, with good layouts, and also the ones that you might farm for the map specific item drops introduced in 2.4. The new item bases.

I can't think of anything specific to farm besides divination cards and those are bitch to complete a set, so maybe I'll just stick to running maps I like.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Wouldn't this imply it's better not to shape any maps at all? The higher tier maps are going to be the ones that innately drop better gear anyways right? Why would you want to dilute that pool? Kinda lame, really only makes it worthwhile if you have an entire build based around farming a single type of map, which would be boring as fuck and even if that was your plan, why not build around one of the existing tier 15 maps?
When a map is shaped, it will drop the better gear as far as I am aware (In the sense that it will drop shaped map tier ilevel items). So the only difference between having a lot of shaped maps and none is the variety. So if you only shape the layout you like, then you should have no problems as you will get maps with the layouts you like that are 5 level higher and give higher ilevel loot.

But you should also take into consideration the map boss, some bosses will get significantly harder when upgraded. Mostly the ones that are already difficult.

Damned Registrations

I was under the impression that maps were going to drop specific base item types, in the way they drop specific divination cards. If it's just linked to the tier, that's good for the shaping thing, but leaves no reason to run the more difficult maps within a tier.

T. Reich

Arcane
The general strategy so far is to:
1) discover the layouts you're comfortable with.
2) get the shaper's orb for a tier of such maps - that's seemingly not going to happen until you're in the t+5 maps.
3) find and use the appropriate tier shaper's orb on the map you want to upgrade.
4) keep in mind that this particular map is considered t+5 with all that entails - it's removed from its old tier drop pool and added to the new tier drop pool, AND its drop rate is accordingly reduced, so you're going to see it much less often.

Anyway, considering that completing 100 maps in Atlas is a challenge, this league I'm going for 100% completion.
I'll also experiment with farming the new drop-restricted item bases.

Damned Registrations

1) discover the layouts you're comfortable with.
This is the biggest problem with maps in my opionion: everyone is comfortable with the same layouts: the ones that don't require backtracking to get to the boss and clear most of the map. No character is so much better at movement than others that they'd be willing to forego a significant portion of time simply moving around when they could be murdering shit and generating loot and xp. The only possible caveat to this would be if the loopy maps simply had more monsters or IIQ on them than the straightforward ones. Then there'd at least be a tradeoff between more wealth per map spent vs more wealth per time spent.

T. Reich

Arcane
Not everyone is fixated on efficiency. That's a deficient point of view anyway.
A lot of people would be upgrading the maps they like to play.
And some other portion of pees would probably upgrade the maps that can drop the new item bases so that they could farm them with a much higher ilvl.

T. Reich

Arcane
Hoaxmetal , our glorious guild leader. Now that 2.4.0 brings us information when a friend/guildie last logged in, I think it's time we purged the guild of non-players and invited the new ones maybe?

Padre

Liturgist
I'm gonna go with blade vortex this time around. Fuck hipster builds. Any advice about which Ascendancy to pick? I wanted to play Shadow, purely for cosmetic purpose and achievement. And yeah I know, decline

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I'm gonna go with blade vortex this time around. Fuck hipster builds. Any advice about which Ascendancy to pick? I wanted to play Shadow, purely for cosmetic purpose and achievement. And yeah I know, decline
I heard good things about Pathfinder Blade vortex, because of all the flask buffs, and all her nodes being applicable to blade vortex attacks too. Also, there is the thing about poison in this ascendancy, it was probably good too.

I might be playing it this league, unless something more fancy catches my eye at the last moment (By that I mean some streamer releases an interesting build I never played before, I tend not to like playing the same builds).

TOME

Cuckmaster General
This is the biggest problem with maps in my opionion: everyone is comfortable with the same layouts: the ones that don't require backtracking to get to the boss and clear most of the map. No character is so much better at movement than others that they'd be willing to forego a significant portion of time simply moving around when they could be murdering shit and generating loot and xp. The only possible caveat to this would be if the loopy maps simply had more monsters or IIQ on them than the straightforward ones. Then there'd at least be a tradeoff between more wealth per map spent vs more wealth per time spent.

I remember reading that they changed monster density for those layouts where you need to backtrack. Those maps should have much more monster packs now so it shouldn't be gorge only anymore.

made

Arcane
Atlas looks interesting. Endgame overhaul was long overdue. Hopefully I can finally get rid of all the maps cluttering up my stash and mules. And I hope they adjusted xp gains for the higher map tiers, t13+ felt very unrewarding last I played.

Damned Registrations

I remember reading that they changed monster density for those layouts where you need to backtrack. Those maps should have much more monster packs now so it shouldn't be gorge only anymore.
The question is how they changed the density though. Did they add more monsters or make the map smaller?

Zdzisiu

Arcane

The question is how they changed the density though. Did they add more monsters or make the map smaller?
I believe I read on reddit that it was more in vein of adding more monsters to the less popular maps so as to make the xp per hour similar to gorges all day.

Damned Registrations

Adding monsters I can get behind, since that's basically free packsize, which makes the maps themselves more valuable regardless of how long they take to run. If they just shrunk the map and crammed the same monsters into a smaller area though, that basically ramps up the danger without increasing the reward.

made

Arcane
Pack size was noticeably higher in the one Coves map I ran before the servers started crashing.

Also it's gangbang time in lvl 8 HOs wooot!^

Well there goes my only free evening this weekend. GG GGG.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom