Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll have to do damage control and explain the big picture. Honestly, I don't think some of you realize how retarded this shit looks to a new player, turning in junk for scraps of paper and the fuckhuge skill tree. He's inclined though and can into difficult and complex games, so we'll see.

Did same thing for 2 of my buddies with this new league start. One of them immediately logged out after seeing skill tree and the other one still couldn't let go that a "Diablo" like game without any gold.
They're also both recovering from the incoming "you don't have to play same fucking game 3 times in order to reach end game" expansion pack.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I needed years to get my buddy to finally start playing. But I got him hooked with Breach league and now we are both waiting for 3.0 to go full in again.

ArchAngel

Arcane
i cant stop creating new characters.

Right now im thinking about CI pathfinder with bladevortex on cwc, just cant figure best channeling skill: wither or blight?
Ive seen someone using wither but I dont get it. Why not use blight instead and move wither to totem?
I know how you feel. I came back to PoE with Essence league and in that and Breach and Standard in the meantime I made like 20 different characters :D

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'll have to do damage control and explain the big picture. Honestly, I don't think some of you realize how retarded this shit looks to a new player, turning in junk for scraps of paper and the fuckhuge skill tree. He's inclined though and can into difficult and complex games, so we'll see.

Did same thing for 2 of my buddies with this new league start. One of them immediately logged out after seeing skill tree and the other one still couldn't let go that a "Diablo" like game without any gold.
They're also both recovering from the incoming "you don't have to play same fucking game 3 times in order to reach end game" expansion pack.
Looks like I've got some :obviously: friends. One big draw for us all has been the huge skill tree to explore and exploit. But then those friends are either engineers, game designers, or philosophers.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks like I've got some :obviously: friends. One big draw for us all has been the huge skill tree to explore and exploit. But then those friends are either engineers, game designers, or philosophers.

One of those things is not like the others.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Basic filter shouldn't take you more than an hour or two, I started here.
If you want a more automated way look at Filtration.

Thanks. I've only played for 2 hours and wanted to make one already to hide the endless normal junk. Doesn't seem to be enough TPs around yet to make it worthwhile hauling all that rubbish back to town for a few scraps. Basically hides all normal weapons and armour below quality 10 (which I guess are worth a bit more), unless they take up more than 4 squares of inventory space (big shields and 2h weapons and shit).

Code:
Show
   Rarity > Normal
Show
   Class Currency Amulets Rings Gems Relics Quest Flasks Maps Map Doodads Jewel Card Labyrinth Leaguestones Rods
Hide
   Quality < 10
Hide
   Height > 4
Hide
   Width >= 2
   Height > 2
Hide
   Width > 2
   Height >= 2

I don't even know what half of that stuff is in the second show line yet, but it's probably useful at this stage.

Edit: Maybe I should add a line above quality to show anything with 4+ sockets

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah the thing is, you can't even just hide normals and rares completely, because they might have six sockets, or five linked sockets, or perhaps even six linked sockets. No matter their rarity, that alone is reason enough to keep them. Same with flasks, if they have a quality value it's most likely worth your time to pick it up, unless you're rich.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah the thing is, you can't even just hide normals and rares completely, because they might have six sockets, or five linked sockets, or perhaps even six linked sockets. No matter their rarity, that alone is reason enough to keep them. Same with flasks, if they have a quality value it's most likely worth your time to pick it up, unless you're rich.
No, you don't need to pick up quality flasks. But you will still want to be able to see non health/mana flasks as you want to have extra for your other characters and you cannot buy those from any vendors.

Nim

Augur
Yes you can because the lootfilter goes from top to bottom. If you f.ex. do this
Show
Sockets = 6

Hide
Rarity = Normal

Hide
Rarity = Magic
it will show all 6 sockets, even the normal and magic ones.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm not saying the loot filter isn't capable of showing certain white items. I know it is; I'm only saying it's not as simple as hiding them all and then you're done, as is usually the case in other aRPGs like Grim Dawn.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
why to reinvent the wheel?

there are several good loot filters out there ready for costumization if one wants.

i use the neversink filter, you can easily switch premade modes e.g.
after all a solid filter that should cover all our pleb needs

ArchAngel

Arcane
I also used neversink for Breach league and some other for Essence league. Since I am not playing Legacy, I didn't bother getting an updated Neversink so I decided to just use a default item filter that comes with the game and it is pretty good. Maybe shows a bit too many items but I like it.

EDIT: By default I mean the one that show up when you go to choose an Item Filter in game options that is made by GGG, the true default is no item filter.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
why to reinvent the wheel?

there are several good loot filters out there ready for costumization if one wants.

i use the neversink filter, you can easily switch premade modes e.g.
after all a solid filter that should cover all our pleb needs

I want to fully understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. That's largely why I've left the filter off as long as I have; I've now got a good idea of what I do and don't want to show.

What I'm after is a holistic understanding of the itemization system. If a premade filter tells me what's good, then I'm missing out on some understanding.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
I want to fully understand what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. That's largely why I've left the filter off as long as I have; I've now got a good idea of what I do and don't want to show.

What I'm after is a holistic understanding of the itemization system. If a premade filter tells me what's good, then I'm missing out on some understanding.

i totally feel you.

personally, i have understood that i dont really understand POE the slightest compared to how deep this game is when it comes to builds, skills, gem setups, ZE SKILLTREE....
the time and effort i would have to invest to catch up knowledge wise is immense and i rather durdle away at some point.

a premade item filter is just way too convenient for me not to use.

i respect your approach , tho!

question is: will the garbage cluttering your screen lead to you getting a holistic understanding? :smug:

letting someone explain stuff behind the filter to you might be much more efficient (that is, if efficiency is important to you)

on another topic:

i have come to the endgame and farm certain maps with specific leaguestones for a nice profit.
my gear is super nice, but i made the mistake to "upgrade" a certain piece (with uber lab enchant).
i am pretty hyped, all comes together piece by piece.
oh wait...

YEAH...HOW YOU DEAL WITH FCKED UP RESIS NOW, DUDE? HUH?

swapping one piece with say fire res for cold res totally makes it tough to rebalance this shit.

i love it...

:negative:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
i have come to the endgame and farm certain maps with specific leaguestones for a nice profit.
my gear is super nice, but i made the mistake to "upgrade" a certain piece (with uber lab enchant).
i am pretty hyped, all comes together piece by piece.
oh wait...

YEAH...HOW YOU DEAL WITH FCKED UP RESIS NOW, DUDE? HUH?

swapping one piece with say fire res for cold res totally makes it tough to rebalance this shit.

i love it...

:negative:

Yeah, that can be a real problem. It helps to have most of your resists on a variety of resist-intensive rings, amulets, and/or belts, and maybe a master craft or two on some other items... but it's a pain being locked in and restricted due to resists, with a potential upgrade collecting dust in the stash until you figure out what needs to be shuffled.

I know resists are the traditional Diablo clone gear check, but once you've got them it's all easy street again anyway. It's not as though it takes some immense amount of skill or currency (in a functional economy; league day 1 is quite different, I'm sure) to get them, just a bit of planning.

Of course, some people would argue it's a good thing you're semi-locked into your gear set, precisely because it requires planning and commitment. That's a fair point too.

T. Reich

Arcane
It's relative in the end.

A lot of builds can allow for a pretty good gear flexibility. However, a lot of them either go for cookie-cutter "BIS" uniques or complicated combos of thereof to potentially achieve sick deeps or whatever. Only then do you experience certain difficulties in overcapping your resists for endgame, and even then jewel slots are a godsend here.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
i think i will just keep some extra gear to swap in my inventory, could be useful in some maps/ with some map mods anyways.

rings were too tough for me to use as the main res source, as my build needs 2x steel rings with double phys, high life and an open Pre to craft chaos damage on them.

Quatlo

Arcane
It's relative in the end.

A lot of builds can allow for a pretty good gear flexibility. However, a lot of them either go for cookie-cutter "BIS" uniques or complicated combos of thereof to potentially achieve sick deeps or whatever. Only then do you experience certain difficulties in overcapping your resists for endgame, and even then jewel slots are a godsend here.
Yeah, there is also some resist in the tree, also uniques tend to give some resists too, its not that terrible.
I'm running that silly flask that requires you to have all resistances on the same level and I achieved it only by manipulating the unique items since they are the most constant ones when it comes to resists.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
man, farming The Vault is getting boring, but after all its so much better than Shaped Strand for me, i assume i will continue to do so.

tried Monstrous Treasure on Shrine, but the opening of the Boxes is pretty dangerous to my TS Assa.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I ran Lab in ~15 minutes this morning and beat Izaro handily. :smug:

I'm a big boy now. :smug:

Of course it was only the Cruel Lab, and I was 17 levels above the map level and already in Merciless Act 4, but fuck you. :smug:

I don't think the levels actually made that much difference; I beat him in just a handful of seconds and only had to tap a flask or three. I think earlier it would have taken more time + more flasks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom