Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by raw, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Sent :M

^ Top  
  2. Jason Liang Arbiter

Jason Liang
    Parrots:
    Send me an invite too! Omachi

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Parrots:
  4. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    So what do I get if i join codex guild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    A blowjob every day! True story.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    Parrots:
    Also an anal probe.

^ Top  
  7. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Parrots:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    The uniques, maps, and flasks that non-skrubs just vendor or don't even pick up. Day 1? Nothing. :dealwithit:

Show Spoiler
    Actually, the fact that they took the time to pick them up at all—much less mess around with placing them in the guild stash—really shows how much they care.

PoE at its extreme is, EXACTLY as I predicted, literally a game about not picking up anything at all except for the very creme de la creme of the absolute most top-tier maps and bosses. You'll see dudes rushing past all sorts of currency too unless it's worth many multiples of Chaos Orbs.

This is all fine and good, since loot eventually begins to rain from the sky like a fucking eighteen-wheeler full of sprinkles collided head-on with another eighteen-wheeler full of chocolate chips... a fact that somehow no one thought to mention to me some weeks ago before I returned to the game.

My one complaint is that everything is basically vendor trash or throwaway leveling crap until you hit that top tier. No matter what an item's type or graphic, almost every reward item you'll get has a semi-concealed "item level" which means it's going to be utter shit unless it's near or at the highest ilvl. There are a very few exceptions, like high-value currency or worthwhile Chance Orb base items, but both of those things are extremely remote possibilities anyway.

Fortunately this is also helpful, because after the first few days of a league you can find good leveling gear on poe.trade for cheap prices in great abundance, for any class or build.

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Yeah that's right, we did the 10 unided rare maps challenge today and didn't die once, and I'm feeling pretty big for my britches. :smug:

All easy shit so far. Bring on some actual difficulty where everything doesn't die immediately. :smug:

:positive:

Show Spoiler
    need uber lab carry plz thx

^ Top  
  10. lukaszek Magister

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    actually its not true.
    While not full on day 1 our cache is getting slowly filled with +lvl to gems items, 4/5L, base flasks, skill gems.
    It saves time and is quite helpful

^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    The only reason I haven't put any of my own in is because you guys fill it up. I've got a bunch of the better cheap ones now, and I even found a 2-3c quiver once, which for leveling uniques with any old slots is really a lot.

Funny thing is, sometimes they vendor for almost as much as they're worth on poe.trade in shards, or even more.

Lazing Dirk and I will be growing into red maps soon, in fact we pretty much already are, so the map tab's probably gonna stagnate. In fact, my own personal map tab is starting to fill, despite making literally dozens of chisels....

^ Top  
  12. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    Parrots:
    Hoaxmetal Kindly requesting our glorious leader to grant Zdzisiu and me officer rank, so that we coul watch over his domain in times of his absence.
    Also, to invite total strangers to the guild by accident.
    And to plot his inevitable downfall.

• incline incline x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Hoaxmetal Arcane

Hoaxmetal
    Parrots:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Lazing Dirk Arcane

Lazing Dirk
    Parrots:
    That's more currency in about 20 seconds than I see on most maps

[​IMG]

Jesus christ

• Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. lukaszek Magister

lukaszek
    Parrots:
    it sounds like tchaikovsky playing his overtue on cannons

before someone asks for citation:

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Leechmonger Learned

Leechmonger
    Parrots:
    "Players cannot take reflected damage"

topkek

^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    :troll:

Told you all I was a good luck charm, but you didn't listen.

Oh my, what's this?

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    Parrots:
    ...and then Rex ninja'ed it.

^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    It was for me on short allocation and I picked it up the picosecond it dropped. I dropped it back on the floor again to take the screenshot.

We're gonna split the proceeds from selling it off. We're not Jewish enough yet for that to be considered petty currency.

He's an expensive meat shield, but then again he practically never dies and actually deals damage, unlike some minions I could mention.

But yes, had the allocation run out, he most assuredly would have picked it up instantly. He always does. :lol:

^ Top  
  21. Berekän Arcane Patron

Berekän
    Parrots:
    Can I have a Codex guild invite? Charname Elerain, for example.

^ Top  
  22. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    Parrots:
    Sent.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    Reich ran us through a bunch of crazy red maps packed with spicy leaguestones today, and I got my first real taste of what's it's really like to be a big boy.

What was that taste, you may ask? Death. The taste was delicious, strawberry-flavored death.

I can see myself being able to more-or-less play at that level after another full league or two, having played a couple handfuls more characters, and having had another few hundred hours of learning the intricacies of the game.

I definitely do respect the game's considerable and ethical learning curve and skill ceiling. It's possibly the only online game I've played this century that I would actually place on par with EVE Online in the sense that knowledge of the game is hard-won, is well rewarded, and is the single most important aspect of excelling in the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. deama Learned

deama
    Parrots:
    Any of you guys know what shield is best on an enforcer facebreak build? Or do I just pick any with 2k+ armour?

Oh, and I was wondering, what do you guys think of the default zoom level in the game? I think it's too low.

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor

Blaine
    Parrots:
    You get used to it, but in principle at least I find it slightly obnoxious. Two upsides are that it feels a little more "old-school" than your usual modern 4k top-down game that has lots of teeny-tiny shit going on everyplace, and I suppose it also slightly reduces load on the GPU. It does also accentuate the need for experience with the game and situational awareness.

The downsides are obvious. You can't see as far, so analyzing the whole of surrounding terrain is more difficult (the map overlay helps but adds visual noise), and you can't analyze enemies until they're quite close or attack them from too far off (some ranged abilities that don't require direct clicking can reach offscreen if you know they're there; others can't). The effect is slightly more pronounced in the corners of the screen, where you'll have unnecessarily huge health and mana globes, your buff/debuff bar, and your minimap/quest tracker. You can't modify the UI or client in any way, either, on pain of being banned.

I will say however that unlike all of the other 3D Diablo clones (Titan Quest, Torchlight/II, Grim Dawn, World of Diablocraft 3, etc.), GGG managed to somehow employ a form of quasi-orthographic projection/near-true isometry in PoE. What I mean by that is that normally, when you take a 3D game and simply move and fix the camera viewpoint to simulate a traditional zoomed-out 2D isometric/top-down view, there is no orthographic projection effect. You'll therefore be able to see more terrain at the top of the screen, but less at the bottom, so that your character has a restricted view in that direction regardless of facing. The middle bottom of the screen will be very restricted.

If you've ever played Torchlight II, you surely know what I mean. You can see much further walking "up" or "north" than "down" or "south," meaning nasty enemies can more easily surprise you from the bottom-of-screen direction.

PoE's view is actually somewhat balanced across all directions. It's possible that PoE's restricted view is actually a product or part of the quasi-orthographic projection effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)