Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

virgin_newfag

Novice
I SERIOUSLY hope NOBODY plays softcore in here

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They are reaching deeps in the millions with wasp nest and viper strike. Poison is still usable in this specific circumstance.

It's never a good idea to be unfocused in your damage output lukaszek. This is a game about min-max if you want to do the absolute endgame. You will see better damage with Hyaon's fury with molten strike
That dps is fake as fuck. I plugged it into the builder and he had shit like shock turned on (which apparently still double dips poison? It was giving some retarded dps increase way over 50%) even though you'd never have that vs a guardian or anything for that matter, and it was vs trash mobs, not bosses with innate poison resistance, and it was with full flasks at all times, which would also be bullshit on a build with no real way of sustaining them for long fights. Actual dps vs a guardian or shaper drops from like 4 million to about 200k. And that's a build with like 50+ exalts worth of gear.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Looted a the baron of Izaro, flipped it within 10 mins for 195c.

:keepmyjewgold:

My first "good" piece of loot. Feels gud mang

ArchAngel

Arcane
I had a Baron drop to me in standard. If I ever want to play a build using it, I will make a Std character :D

virgin_newfag

Novice
I didn't know elitism was considered edgy on this forum

I'm joking guys, but I honestly think that HC gives PoE a few thousands hours of extra replayability, in case you get bored of SC

ArchAngel

Arcane
I didn't know elitism was considered edgy on this forum

I'm joking guys, but I honestly think that HC gives PoE a few thousands hours of extra replayability, in case you get bored of SC
If we get bored of few thousand hours of playing SC we can do a couple more thousand hours of HC... who has that time?

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
I don't have enough faith in my internet connection for hardcore.

Seriously, your basically gambling that you will never get a delay for a couple seconds and that your computer will never auto-update at a shit time.

Also this is a game where you can die in milliseconds. See below

https://youtu.be/zzaiNdOpSq8

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

In some of those clips the dude has waaaaay less life than he ought to tho. Some of them are pretty crazy though.

and that your computer will never auto-update at a shit time.
Learn 2 configure your shit mang.

Anyway for me, the reason I play HC is best explained with the following examples:
In sc, if I go down to a few % of my max hp, that's a :shrug: moment, cause I lived and healed up anyway.
In HC, if I go down to a fourth of my max hp, I start reconsidering my gear/build/gems/tactics to see how I can improve and make my run safer, and usually I find a way.

SC I sleepwalk through, HC I engage with to the fullest, especially since I try to not run other people's builds (I do ask Grunker for advice pretty frequently though).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
y 2 play hc:

(1) The thrill. Nobody likes dying, but everybody loves nearly dying.
(2) The economy. SC: rampant inflation, HC: fluctuation.
(3) Meaningful goals. SC: Achievement of Goal = Time - (Skill - Luck). HC: Achievement of Goal = not guaranteed.
(4) Fluctuation of personal fortune. SC: fortune is always increasing. HC: spending money on a character is an investment - higher investment is riskier and yields bigger rewards. Personal fortune can actually decrease.

Ppl should play what they like I don't judge, but those are the reasons I would never play SC.

EDIT: Also fuck you for that Baron-drop Jaedar. Despite the hours upon hours I've poured into this game I've somehow managed not to have a singular drop worth more than 85c :negative:

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane

In some of those clips the dude has waaaaay less life than he ought to tho. Some of them are pretty crazy though.

and that your computer will never auto-update at a shit time.
Learn 2 configure your shit mang.

Anyway for me, the reason I play HC is best explained with the following examples:
In sc, if I go down to a few % of my max hp, that's a :shrug: moment, cause I lived and healed up anyway.
In HC, if I go down to a fourth of my max hp, I start reconsidering my gear/build/gems/tactics to see how I can improve and make my run safer, and usually I find a way.

SC I sleepwalk through, HC I engage with to the fullest, especially since I try to not run other people's builds (I do ask Grunker for advice pretty frequently though).

I liked the Alkaizer's shooting squad death the most. No space to evade projectiles, no damage mods on map, no damage mods on the blue pack, only map pack size and spiritwalker bloodline doing their dirty job.

T. Reich

Arcane
I've played both HC and SC in the past.
In the end, I chose to play SC almost exclusively, because from my point of view, there's actually not that much difference in the end.

While Grunker described the attractions of HC pretty accurately, I can add this:
1) The thrill aspect applies to SC as well. HC is boring and conservative, it's risk averse. SC is bold and adventurous (if you choose to).
In HC most (sane) people would (rightfully) skip anything that screams "death imminent". Hence, very few people would run clenchy 8-mod rare maps, few people would run max key (pre-3.0.0) uber lab unless they are playing a lab farmer char, and a lot of people would not do atziri because boss fights there require mechanical finesse rather than a gear check.
In SC, you have the liberty of throwing caution to the wind and simply saying "let's do that -maxres vuln no regen twinned overgrown ruin with double beyond" and then actually doing it. And losing all 6 portals because you misjudged your abilities.
Not many people in SC opt to do that (those are boring strand-people), but the possibility is there, unlike HC.
2) The economy 4 weeks into league: SC = stable and plentiful, HC = good luck buying anything oddly specific because most people stopped playing the league already.
Rampant inflation in SC only applies for the first week or so, when tons of people are playing a lot and list all their loot for sale. After week 2, it's very much stable, and prices only change drastically if a certain streamer or other makes something temporarily popular.

Three main reasons why I play SC over HC:
1) I like to do various interesting builds, and HC puts a hard damper on what's viable (as in death-resistant) and what's not, meaning that the variety of choice is smaller.
2) When I do an interesting build, I don't want it to fail just because I can't get appropriate gear to get it up and running. In HC, that is a real risk 3+ weeks into the league.
3) I like to play crazy hard maps now and then. HC allows you to make that mistake only once, and it's a costly one.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I disagree about the economy but besides that I agree based on my own SC experience. It's just different, not necessarily strictly better or worse. Like arguing endlessly over TB or RtwP

though of course tb is objectively better and so is hc :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom