Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
indeed!
best mirrored gear pieces are prolly weapons and amulets with the old legacy 70% crit mult roll (rest stats top notch as well of course), belts, helmets , boots and armour arnt really worth it i suppose, but whatever.

T. Reich

Arcane
It's good news indeed.

I'll wait a bit more - when they remove the spectre to area level scaling.

I'm sure it will only take them a couple of years to do this.

ArchAngel

Arcane
With announcement of Spectre persistence that is coming in a patch next week I am now in the process of planning my first summoner build. I have been waiting for this patch for years :)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Too bad about the level scaling thing. I suppose it's not a big deal so long as you have a large enough map pool to do the same level maps over and over, or your build can comfortably handle the disadvantage of being a few levels behind.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Too bad about the level scaling thing. I suppose it's not a big deal so long as you have a large enough map pool to do the same level maps over and over, or your build can comfortably handle the disadvantage of being a few levels behind.
From multiple Spectre builds I read, people have no problems running spectres. For Burning Spectre builds they even made a list of maps you can get a higher level version with Desecrate if you bring one with you into the map.

T. Reich

Arcane

It's not really as bad as you make it sound.

The spectre level downscaling is more of an annoyance because it puts a cap on your map clear/boss kill speed mostly. If your summoner was built for using spectres primarily, their survivability will never really be an issue.

razvedchiki

Erudite
guys i have a oros flicker dualist,what would you suggest to get in order to make him terminus est flicker?
i have a kaoms heart and a a 6l oros and some rings/amulets i dont remember.
skill tres/item suggestion welcome.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I know thats a weird requirement....

Are there any viable melee builds that look like and do actualy melee stuff? Like hitting things with weapons, not creating vulcanoes or earthquakes or spitting fire or running around with an aura.
Preferably even with a two handed weapon or sword & board, not dual wielding.
I know its pretty specific but i prefer melee andhate that whole teleporting lightshow thing most arpg's do.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I know thats a weird requirement....

Are there any viable melee builds that look like and do actualy melee stuff? Like hitting things with weapons, not creating vulcanoes or earthquakes or spitting fire or running around with an aura.
Preferably even with a two handed weapon or sword & board, not dual wielding.
I know its pretty specific but i prefer melee andhate that whole teleporting lightshow thing most arpg's do.
Cleave.

Of Viper Strike+melee splash

Reinhardt

Arcane
Cleave. You can get cheap bringer of rain and it will carry you pretty far into the maps.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Shield charge, particularly with facebreakers. Though mathil did a vid of that recently so the appropriate gear won't be cheap like it usually is.

But basically any of the actual melee skills that require namelocking are all garbage due to the design philosophy of scaling up enemy numbers instead of enemy health. You probably don't want to be clicking individually on 300+ enemies per map, especially when they'll all die in one click.

ArchAngel

Arcane
  • Desecrate can now only create monsters that are in the instance it is used in. In areas where no monsters have spawned, a specific desecrate table is used. This fixes a longstanding bug with the desecration list that had further problems introduced due to persistent spectres.
And just like that GGG killed Spectre builds instead of improving their QoL.. I am done with this game and company. I just spent hours leveling a summoner waiting for this patch to hit (and before that waited for years before they made summoners less irritating to play) and wasted my currency buying stuff for this build.. at least I didn't buy a Spectre MTX like some other people did when they were hyped by proposed QoL change.. people didn't expect them to kill the builds in the process.

Gerrard

Arcane
How about the part where the patch deleted people's essence crafted items and they had to do a 30 minute rollback?

Chris Wilson said:
Edit: the bug was that all items with Essence mods would be deleted. It's a long story as to why that was changed at 10:30pm on a Thursday night. The realm is back up now and items will be fine. We managed to keep in all the other parts of the latest patch other than the item-deleting part.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
As usual people are overracting, especially those that haven't ever bothered to play a spectre build even once. It also didn't seem to be a feature that they necessarily wanted to remove, apparently it had some buggy interactions with the new spectre persistency. Maybe they'll find a workaround, maybe they won't. The reason you needed the desecrate bug was because you either didn't log off once or used the bug to spawn highlevel spectres after logging in. Neither of which is necessary anymore due to persistent spectres. Unless you do content that goes way over your head or play like a total noob, your spectres cannot die. If you do a tripledamage map with inc-aoe you are asking for it, same as any other build.

All of the t1 spectres can be naturally found in at least a t13 map, with most of them being available at 83 eventually since all of them can spawn in at least 2 guardian maps (usually hydra/mino) aswell as shaper sets (which takes forever though). Remember that you only need to get them once to be set for life, unless you want to change spectres, which is the only thing that bothers me about this. You can't just change spectres like it is nothing anymore, do a little desecrating in a t16 and try out new spectres, you now have to actively search for them. Underused spectres like frenzy-apes, grapplers or frost sentinels can also only be found at t13+ if you shape your atlas for them or buy maps with the appropriate mod (animals, undead, humanoid, solaris/lunaris). There will certainly be a market for maps with specific mods now due to spectre availability. Offering your cleared map for people to spawn their summon of choice is also an option which has been done for years now.

Anyway, if you really are planning on doing a spectre build on a character that already has most of the atlas completed:
Flame Sentinels: Shaped Quay (which is the one I usually shape due to its layout), or any solaris mod map
Firegoats: Gorge
Wickerman: Overgrown Ruin, Maze/Palace/Shrine
Solarguard: Overgrown Ruin, Palace, Plaza
Cannibals: Shaped Shore
TV: If you desperately want to kill shaper with TV instead of cannibals, you can desecrate them in the shaper map. Takes forever though, and they are one of the few spectres that can actually die due to them constantly running into melee after placing their totems. Just get cannibals instead.

Evangelists (shaped courtyard/palace), Frost Sentinels (Lunaris Mod) and Revenants (Shaped Malformation) are a bit harder since you have to shape maps you usually wouldn't to get them at 80+.

As far as new leagues are concerned, you will have a linear progression for these. Most of the QQ right now stems from the fact that people expected to run their new shiny spectre build that they never played before, desecrate their favourite spectre in a shaped/completed atlas and play the build like any other build. Guess what, spectre builds have always had more set-up involved, now you only need to do that once. I'd rather spent 20minutes ONCE after logging in getting my spectres in a T16, than having to spend 10 minutes EVERY FUCKING DAY like I had to before the change.

T. Reich

Arcane
It's good news indeed.

I'll wait a bit more - when they remove the spectre to area level scaling.

I'm sure it will only take them a couple of years to do this.

1 week later GGG said:
Spectres no longer have their level reduced to the level of the area they are in. Instead, the level of a Spectre is now based on the lowest of either the level of the monster they were raised from, or the maximum level allowed by the skill gem used. This is now indicated on the skill gem.

e31.jpg

Le sigh... I guess I'll have to research the specteronis for the next league.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would not expect anything less from Saark but to lick GGG's butthole.
You truly deserve a Fanboy tag.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I would not expect anything less from Saark but to lick GGG's butthole.
You truly deserve a Fanboy tag.
I actually think GGG made a fairly huge mistake in releasing the spectre/desecrate changes this early. They obviously didn't want to roll it out with 3.1 since it is a quite significant change that needed some live-testing before a new league comes around, but if they had released this in about a month, 2 weeks prior to the new league, a lot of QQ could've been avoided.

I'm just glad I don't act like a handicapped little kid that has just seen a rainbow, only to be disappointed the moment it disappears.

I expected them to nerf Spectres after their announcement of spectre persistency, mainly because running a spectre-build is dirt cheap and insanely strong. With everyone and their mother eventually getting T16 spectres the build needed to be nerfed, I just didn't expect them to straightout fix the desecrate bug. It's gonna be fine though, because if you can get a T16 wicker and 2 TVs, you're gonna melt any content in the game. Except overgrown ruin, those warband fuckers just melt spectres.

ArchAngel

Arcane
well... been trying to spawn wickermen in overgrown ruins for about two hours now, am 6 maps deep, also tried hydra once, no luck so far, got TV's multiple times, so... WTB T15+ Wickermen pls? HSC 'SpectresAndChill'

Path_of_Exile_Gallery_Image.jpg

Posted by Devarial
on Oct 13, 2017 12:11:11 AM

---------------------------------------------

I tried both hydra and OG but no luck. On the other hand, OG is working since two nice people gave me wm in one and tv in the other. Just no luck for me.

Path_of_Exile_Gallery_Image.jpg

Posted by kolyaboo
on Oct 13, 2017 12:21:05 AM
Such fun this new change... :deathclaw:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
As mentioned in the patch notes, for the mob to be in the desecrate table it has to be inside the map. If it's not there, you don't need to spam desecrate for 15 minutes.

Or, you know, take almost any other kind of spectre from a t10 and still be able to clear all content, just not as fast. Get titties from a poorjoys, chain a couple of OWs, skip the boss cause it's gonna wreck you hard, and after a little bit of time invested you have your spectres that can solo guardians while you're dead. Hell, flame sentinels from the templar lab can be played up to and including guardians if you know what you're doing, it's just gonna be slower. I've watched flame sentinels from a t8 kill mino while I was dead. For a build that really only requires some MD nodes, 2 MRes jewels, a Tabula and Ullr, it has to have some entry before it can reach the maximum damage possible.

GGG could've avoided most of those whine-posts if they just released the change with a new league. People would have a regular progression, upgrading their spectres as they start pushing through the atlas instead of wanting them 2 seconds after logging into the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
As mentioned in the patch notes, for the mob to be in the desecrate table it has to be inside the map. If it's not there, you don't need to spam desecrate for 15 minutes.

Or, you know, take almost any other kind of spectre from a t10 and still be able to clear all content, just not as fast. Get titties from a poorjoys, chain a couple of OWs, skip the boss cause it's gonna wreck you hard, and after a little bit of time invested you have your spectres that can solo guardians while you're dead. Hell, flame sentinels from the templar lab can be played up to and including guardians if you know what you're doing, it's just gonna be slower. I've watched flame sentinels from a t8 kill mino while I was dead. For a build that really only requires some MD nodes, 2 MRes jewels, a Tabula and Ullr, it has to have some entry before it can reach the maximum damage possible.

GGG could've avoided most of those whine-posts if they just released the change with a new league. People would have a regular progression, upgrading their spectres as they start pushing through the atlas instead of wanting them 2 seconds after logging into the game.
None of that excuses what they done. If certain Spectre are a problem nerf those, not do this. I hope this stupid and pathetic change fucks them over massively. Lots of people are now angry, many are asking for refunds for their Spectre MTX and others are leaving the game.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Lots of people are now angry, many are asking for refunds for their Spectre MTX and others are leaving the game.

And I say good riddance. People who bought MTX before the patch even hit and are now crying wolf are about as retarded as people who are asking for a refund on No Mans Sky. I don't feel a shred of pity for these people and having them leave the game forever can only be a net-positive.

If certain Spectre are a problem nerf those, not do this.

Buffing/nerfing spectres isn't as easy and clear cut as it might seem, since their scaling directly comes from their base stats. They would have to nerf certain mobs, which would mean that those mob-types are going to be hitting like wet noodles in maps. The last time they did that was after releasing act4, when they nerfed revenants to only have 3 projectiles instead of 5. There was only one other nerf to monsters because they were OP as spectres before that, almost a year earlier, when they nerfed miscreations and got rid of snapshotting. You didn't even experience the cast on death/trap/mine double-dipped miscreations with gigantic AoE that instakilled bosses. Guess what, spectre builds were still playable after all those nerfs, and back then noone even knew about the desecrate bug yet.

Spectres have always been somewhat good for clearing and great for bosses, but the new generation of PoE players has been crying non-stop about that "mediocre" clearspeed issue until GGG eventually removed the spectre movementspeed limit. Combine that with plenty of new and unproven mob-types and we got stuff like TVs, Solar Guards and Wickermen cutting through T16 maps like butter. Sure, you can nerf those monsters, but that doesn't change the fact that monsters like revenants or flame sentinels can pretty much do the same, only a little slower, and have been doing so for years. A good spectre build is one of the strongest builds out there, while being fairly cheap to build, which is why a lot of highlevel SSF players are spectre necros. It is also pretty boring, which is why most people avoid this style of gameplay.

After the patch it is a little harder to get the exact spectre you want at the highest powerlevel, but it is still doable fairly quickly, takes probably about an hour of playtime if you're really unlucky. But they stay forever, are almost unkillable unless you play badly, and even then you can easily replace them with weaker versions until you get T16s again. What exactly is the fucking issue here? The alternative would have been to nerf ALL Spectre builds, and that wouldn't have created less outrage either. Judging from all the insane whining that happened after the AoE changes, CI nerfs, double-dipping nerfs etc. the current version at least keeps the powerlevel of highend spectre-builds the same, while making it more difficult to reach that level at first. This isn't fucking Pokemon where you die to the final trainer and just go to the pokecenter to heal your pokemon that just died only to return 3 minutes later. If you fuck up and your spectres die, you gotta put in the work and get new ones. Just pay attention to map-mods while rolling maps, look for "Inhabited by" mods and either sell them or keep them away for later in case your spectres die. Problem solved by playing the game, not crying about how GGG hates fun.

If the community wasn't a bunch of retarded, low-attention, hype-chasing crybabies, everyone would realize that while the desecrate bug was very helpful, it's not the end of the world or the death of all spectre builds just because they fixed it. Spectres will still remain as strong as they were before, without the issue of a DC, log-out or crash requiring you to set everything up again and again and again. Which also took quite a bit of time, but those whiny children wouldn't know because they never played a spectre build in their life but are now complaining about how the desecrate fix made spectres unplayable. Which is simply not true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom