Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Basically GGG made their own poe.trade website.
Dayum! Some people must be angry. 1 year of trade development on what we already had.

I didn't expect so much and so little at the same time.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
And yes, those are not the trade improvements some people wanted.
The API can now be filtered so /afk and /dnd players aren't shown. You can also directly ignore players on the official official currency-site. Those were two of the biggest gripes, and now they're gone.

You can also set your own sound notification on the official tradesite. The woop is dead. It will be missed.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
And yes, those are not the trade improvements some people wanted.
The API can now be filtered so /afk and /dnd players aren't shown. You can also directly ignore players on the official official currency-site. Those were two of the biggest gripes, and now they're gone.

You can also set your own sound notification on the official tradesite. The woop is dead. It will be missed.
Yeah, I know.

I was just saying, that some people wanted either some kind of auction house, or trader npc, or a way to trade completely within the game.

But the rest of us knew that those things won't happen.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
But the rest of us knew that those things won't happen.
And I hope they never will, an auction house would probably destroy the game as we know it. Even the current iteration of trading, with private indexers and live-result notifications seems to be unwanted by GGG according to their trade manifesto. I am wondering whether at some point we will see a step back from the current way trade is handled. Seems like they initially wanted to have most trade be done via trade-chat and maybe some forum-trading more akin to d2jsp (without the RMT), not the almost fully-automated trading that is happening nowadays.

grgoo

Barely Literate
The best hack and slash game every made (not to mention it's free to play, or even play to earn :P)

Any active players still around? I am waiting for december to start grinding again ^^

grgoo

Barely Literate
Well would be nice to have an auction house in poe. But they could charge players like 5 to use it and ban all the botters - they would make millions and players would be satisfied.

The game is simply too good (meaning too many players, too much rmt) to actually introduce anything that makes more profit for botters

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There will never be an auction house in PoE, because the devs want you to play the game to get your gear instead of playing the trading system. Which is why they don't want to make trading easier, as to not devalue the time spent grinding. I fully support that. I'd rather they made grinding for specific gear easier.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Once you plan a build that requires 5 uniques you are playing trading system
Which is why I'm not against making farming specific uniques easier. We already have divination cards that go in this direction.

I actually played SSF this league, and I got a bunch of uniques I wanted / could use. I was playing a Duelist DW Sunder Crit build, got myself a Death's Hand, an Ungil's Gauche and a Mark of the Doubting Knight (which fit with my Bleedsplosion build), an Abyssus, multiple Meginord's Belts one of which I Ancient Orbed into a Belt of Deceiver, and I farmed div cards for Kaom's Roots which was pretty easy to get (I actually farmed 2 of them to get a better life roll, didn't take much more than a handful of maps). What I had difficulty with was getting a top tier weapon, had to use Death's Hand as main weapon because I didn't find anything better with crit. But then I played very little this league, had work to do so didn't even finish my Atlas. I most likely would have crafted something better eventually.

It was much more satisfying finding gear gradually more useful for my character and adapting my build to what I found than buying all the top shit in a half hour like last league.

T. Reich

Arcane
I get that but with current state of trading I dont see much difference... Either find a way to prohibit external trading sites or embrace it fully and have that auction house.

devs want you to play the game to get your gear instead of playing the trading system.
Once you plan a build that requires 5 uniques you are playing trading system
T. Reich sometimes forget there are monsters to be killed even.
:troll:

LIES. I always full-clear areas!
Sometimes even while leveling... But I'm getting better at not doing it.:dealwithit:

Regarding the 5 unique = trading mandatory, I'll support Ismaul that it's not necessarily true, unless you picked 5 really rare and hard to get uniques (and/or want some specific corruptions on them).

A good deal of useful uniques are common enough drops (even with 0 IIQ/IIR and what passes for "slow" clear speed these days) that you will see them if you actively play more or less often.
A good deal of really useful uniques are actually quite farmable with divination cards. In non-SSF no-one bothers with that because it is much faster and cheaper to just straight buy most of them on poe.trade. IN SSF, they will actually strongly influence your choice of farmed areas.
Now, we're mostly talking non-casual playerbase here - I reckon 15+ hrs/week of active play (aka exp time), because in SSF you actually need to kill mobs to get new gear:keepmyjewgold:.
Casulls are fucked as usual. But it's not like they're going to get into endgame to make those 5+ unique builds anyway.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
auction house got 2 advantages
- gets rid of fake postings
- removes currency from the world

last point is important. Since players craft less now, number of currency available increases faster than it used to.
It will kill part of game spirit but with existence of sales external sites I no longer think it would change much.
Should I spend 1000 chaos on a chance of getting a ring that isn't shit or just go buy one for 1/20th of that?
:hmmm:

Meanwhile at GGG
"If trade was easier it would create a bigger gap between people who trade and the ones who don't."
Because clearly trading being shit has nothing to do with discouraging people from doing it. Nope.
:dead:

It was much more satisfying finding gear gradually more useful for my character and adapting my build to what I found than buying all the top shit in a half hour like last league.
Yeah, sure. Except for the part where you reach a certain level of passable and it becomes impossible to get any upgrades because of how shit the loot is.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Yeah, sure. Except for the part where you reach a certain level of passable and it becomes impossible to get any upgrades because of how shit the loot is.
Which is why I think GGG should make it easier to find and craft good endgame loot. Not top shelf, but good enough to complete the Atlas if you made a good build and got gud.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
They shouldn't buff dropchances of items themselves. As mentioned earlier, div-cards are usually a great way to get a particular unique you're interested when playing SSF, it does require some commitment though. As for most rares being super-shit, there's no easy fix for that except maybe changing the weighting on the affixes a rare can roll, which will have huge ramifications on the market though. I'd much rather have them buff essence-spawns instead.

T. Reich

Arcane
As for most rares being super-shit, there's no easy fix for that except maybe changing the weighting on the affixes a rare can roll, which will have huge ramifications on the market though. I'd much rather have them buff essence-spawns instead.

cant remember which game had it... Bottom line is, if every prefix/affix was to receive some tags, you could mark tags to exclude. Im not talking about having only 3res life rings, more like middle ground between that and rolling spell dmg + axe dmg on single item.

PoE already has a similar thing for some affixes on some items - gear that can roll both attack and caster mods (sceptres, wands, daggers) is weighted towards either on type of mods or another once the initial mods. But it's not exclusionary, simply weighted towards getting more of the same type of mods is that type of mods is already rolled on that item.

T. Reich

Arcane
They shouldn't buff dropchances of items themselves. As mentioned earlier, div-cards are usually a great way to get a particular unique you're interested when playing SSF, it does require some commitment though. As for most rares being super-shit, there's no easy fix for that except maybe changing the weighting on the affixes a rare can roll, which will have huge ramifications on the market though. I'd much rather have them buff essence-spawns instead.

Regarding "most rares are super-shit" - yeah, they are, and yet if people start picking up and id-ing all the rares that drop, they will quickly get a lot of good gear.
And then there's OPness that is master-crafting.

A couple of times when I played SSF, I had no problems getting the rare gear with good stats that I needed.

Padre

Liturgist
Sooo, who's playing the Turmoil race that starts in like 8-9 hours ?

I will be starting tommorow unfortunately, have some familly issues I have to take care of. Will prolly roll SSFHC, die to an invader and ragequit. As I've rolled summoners for like 3-4 last chars this time I'm going for a ED Trickster. No totems or minions will mean I need a shitton of defences but I'm hoping that boxes and exiles will provide and will cruise with max resists from Act II onward.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I was thinking about it. But have no idea what kind of build I would like to play. Something that clears pretty fast and safe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom