Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am waiting for PoB update to see the numbers but for now I would like to try Ignite Trickster, probably Vaal Fireball version so I don't have to invest into chance to ignite on tree

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
did you ever play dp before? You would rather want self cast skellies over totem. Whats more skelly speed is invaluable.
For sure self casting.

Hmm. I had assumed (from previous experience) that skeletons were essentially stationary. And I'm still not sure I believe your implication that they can keep up with any sort of reasonable map clear speed.

remember that inc life also increases your damage. I were doing calculations some time ago, I think it was best increase you can get.
PoB disagrees. The stuff from occultist tree pushes dps like 100k (*3 cus of chaining) higher than the stuff from necromancer. I may have made a mistake though, since PoB does not automatically calculate skeleton hp.

Ele res matter only on map bosses. If you dont have it you wont be able to beat them actually. Necromancer definitely makes raising it easier - and is better option for SSF.
I'm not going SSF, just casual league starter. Still, your statement of not being able to beat map bosses without ele resist weigh pretty heavily :M

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hmm. I had assumed (from previous experience) that skeletons were essentially stationary. And I'm still not sure I believe your implication that they can keep up with any sort of reasonable map clear speed.

map clear speed is derived from casting speed and skeleton cd. As such necromancer(due to lack of cd thx to no jewel) and dual wield apep rage is fastest. Skellies are stationary... normally. With necro bonuses and speed gem they become homing missiles - as such improving your aoe.

Anyway you need to experience all of this yourself really. Its unique play style in a way that you must see things 'clicking' together and dps numbers matter less.

If you really want to go crit then yeah, occultist might be fine. Do plan for resistance aura and/or resistance support though.
I'm going crit either way. But I think you convinced me necromancer is better anyway.

Hyperion

Arcane
nrQTgc5.jpg

Chris must be a little beside himself at this point.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
On the one hand, not having to go to poe.trade to figure out how much I should sell my stuff for or having to hope that the guy I want to buy from will reply would be great.

On the other, how would I feel camaraderie with the rest of the community if we didn't regularly exchange pointless "ss, gl"s?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I'm going crit either way. But I think you convinced me necromancer is better anyway.
in that case id say to focus on summons first. They will carry you until maps with zero investment in items.
Summons will always be part of build focus so it will be a bit boring for a while... Great league starter though as its SSF friendly
In my experience leveling with summons is ridiculously slow.

Balor

Arcane
I've tried skeletons + DP, fun, easy to survive with absolutely shit gear (casual SFF) due to an army of totally expendable and 'recastable' meat shields, great AOE clear (from DP) AND single-target DPS (from DP plus skeletons, skellies with multistrke, wither totem)
Basically, consider yourself an necromancer first and DP caster second. Since ascendancy rewamp melee skeletons seem super-viable, and with vaal gem rework you also get vaal skeletons army to sic onto the bosses.

T. Reich

Arcane
So, boyos, what would it be - traps or Arc?
We know that no-one but edgelords would play anything else (oh, and KB for speedclearmetawinnershitlords).

Maybe... Arc traps?:positive: On an elementalist, for maximum meta exposure?

Personally, I'm torn between:
1) SKELETON WARRIORS summoner necro - fun and semi-original, but not entirely sure if optimal for incursion clearing due to rather low skelly base movement speed. YUGE bossing deeps though, and pretty safe to play in general.
2) quill rain poison-stacking assassin - again, YUGE single target, and pretty solid overall. No idea how to level it with no access to requisite gear though.
3) totems something (DP hiero/ascendant, frostbolt hiero, arc shimmeron hiero) - super-safe starter choice, ez time all the time.
4) hipster boi 100% phys to fire BOW chieftain. ORIGINAL BUILD, DO NOT STEAL (actually idea stolen from TarkeCat from 2-3 leagues ago and then OPTIMISED).

I think i'm gonna build something around earthquake, it's getting buffed and I just want to crush shit with a 2hander. PoE really lacks a proper 2h skill, why reave is still 1h only is beyond me.

Hammerdin: PoE edition as mentioned above.

Some sort of dot build (either the traditional ED or some poison/bleed stacking nonsense)

And def gonna do something with arc, my favorite skill in the game so far (I liked shamans back in WoW days) and it's getting massive buffs. Probably self-cast though, my last two successful characters were totem boys.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So, boyos, what would it be - traps or Arc?
We know that no-one but edgelords would play anything else (oh, and KB for speedclearmetawinnershitlords).

Maybe... Arc traps?:positive: On an elementalist, for maximum meta exposure?

Personally, I'm torn between:
1) SKELETON WARRIORS summoner necro - fun and semi-original, but not entirely sure if optimal for incursion clearing due to rather low skelly base movement speed. YUGE bossing deeps though, and pretty safe to play in general.
2) quill rain poison-stacking assassin - again, YUGE single target, and pretty solid overall. No idea how to level it with no access to requisite gear though.
3) totems something (DP hiero/ascendant, frostbolt hiero, arc shimmeron hiero) - super-safe starter choice, ez time all the time.
4) hipster boi 100% phys to fire BOW chieftain. ORIGINAL BUILD, DO NOT STEAL (actually idea stolen from TarkeCat from 2-3 leagues ago and then OPTIMISED).
Not hipster enough.
1) If new ignite is good then Trickster ignite Fireball/Flameblast
2) If ignite sucks and Indigon is not nerfed then Trickster Blade Vortex Indigon
3) If both ignite and indigon sucks then Arc Mines Trickster or Saboteur.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
New arc does look pretty sick. I am tempted to abandon dp skellies plan to go flammenwerfer trap instead.

Mostly cuz I'm worried skeleton dp will be shit for incursions.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom