Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

T. Reich

Arcane
Also nice to see that even after 5 years game disconnects at least once in a while and I already got multiple window crash that I had to restart my pc because of. Consistency is good! :shittydog:

I strongly recommend you check your system and hardware settings.
Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that PoE's performance is strongly correlated with what it's played on.
Personally, I have next to zero crashes while playing PoE. In fact, all of the game crashes I've had over the last 2-3 years happened at the start of a new league and would usually be patched out within a couple of days, never to happen again.
Same with disconnects, really.
Meanwhile, some other people I know have had constant technical issues with PoE.

Shadenuat

Arcane
SSD solves issue on loads, I just get a random 1-2 DC. Judging by forums it's fairly common problem.

Became better after I finished main plot, maybe because I am playing in shorter sessions.

Ran a few maps. Got some level 20-35 uniques on my lvl 70 witch. Guess I'm paying for that tabula rasa from the random box. Or, maybe loot is shit :shittydog:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
SSD helped me tremendously with PoE's performance. Last 2 leagues were nearly perfect for gameplay wise.
SSD is very nice. I moved poe to my ssd from hdd, loads went from 10 mins to start the game (before playing becomes actually viable) to being basically as fast as I can click.

I occasionally get disconnects/slowdowns in poe, but usually not until week 2 or 3 of a new league.

I'm trying to learn how to make melee builds (would like to use one as my first char in delve), and would appreciate some feedback on what I am doing wrong from better players, if anyone would like to help, here is PoB build for my attempt at a phys Slayer: https://pastebin.com/6pXTAmni

Ran a few maps. Got some level 20-35 uniques on my lvl 70 witch. Guess I'm paying for that tabula rasa from the random box. Or, maybe loot is shit :shittydog:
Loot is shit, but so is tabula rasa. Just spend a couple hundred jews and a few dozen fuses for a regular 6 link.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Gladly, but so far 5L-6L chests I found were level 45ish. :lol: oh I will just run a few maps every evening, while tweaking my build, until I get bored.

AMG

Arbiter
I'm trying to learn how to make melee builds (would like to use one as my first char in delve), and would appreciate some feedback on what I am doing wrong from better players, if anyone would like to help, here is PoB build for my attempt at a phys Slayer: https://pastebin.com/6pXTAmni
Just some quick thoughts:
You definietely want Vaal Pact for Slayer.
You definitely want to pick up crit nodes next to Resolute Technique. They're stronger than the staff nodes you are getting far up.
At the start you take a 3% attk speed over 12% dmg, then take 10% dmg over 3% attk speed :D
I don't think Romira's ring is worth it. You can get charges from a Blue Dream jewel (~30 chaos I think) or Assassin's Mark.
For gloves you will want to use Tombfist, they can't be beat for attack builds really, 1 socket is very cheap.
For armour either Belly of the Beast (defence) or Carcass Jack (offense). Both are cheap.
You want Maim on totem or linked to Vengeance (or both). Replace it in main link with Ruthless/Multistrike.
As for totem, maybe you just did it hastily, but use Warchief, not Protector. Protector is stronger, but Warchief is AoE, which is a lot more practical.
You can still use a curse, Vulnerability is best, Assassin's Mark is another option. If you end up using the Marylene amulet (it's not terrible actually, I'm surprised) which is dirt cheap, corrupting it for +1 curse should be achievable.
There is no reason to not use Blood Rage as A Slayer.

On a more general note, you might want to try to also make a non-Brutality version in PoB, unless you're dead set on pure phys. Melee builds benefit very strongly from stuff like Atziri's Promse, Unholy Might, Hatred, etc.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I cannot open PoB links on my phone but from what I read above (staff nodes) I am going to assume this is going to be a cyclone character. My biggest gripe against pure physical cyclone is terrible sounds and lack of any interesting animations. Also if you were planning to use Lion's Roar potion with cyclone, don't. It makes it all so very irritating.
2nd thing, I am not sure vaal pact and slayer leech work well together since you want overleech to keep healing you all the time.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I cannot open PoB links on my phone but from what I read above (staff nodes) I am going to assume this is going to be a cyclone character. My biggest gripe against pure physical cyclone is terrible sounds and lack of any interesting animations. Also if you were planning to use Lion's Roar potion with cyclone, don't. It makes it all so very irritating.
2nd thing, I am not sure vaal pact and slayer leech work well together since you want overleech to keep healing you all the time.
Ground slam currently, was considering cyclone but the dps was lower.

I don't think vaal pact prohibits overleech? Makes it run out faster but I think as long as you keep attacking you'll keep overleeching.
You definietely want Vaal Pact for Slayer.
A reasonable suggestion. But not sure what nodes to cut without making dps too low to be fun/viable.
At the start you take a 3% attk speed over 12% dmg, then take 10% dmg over 3% attk speed :D
I switched that path around like 4 times as I was tinkering, then stopped looking at it entirely :D
You definitely want to pick up crit nodes next to Resolute Technique. They're stronger than the staff nodes you are getting far up.
PoB says they boost dps less than other options (various +%inc phys damage nodes). I in part take those staff nodes because I have to get int anyway, and it enables hegemony power charge gen.
I don't think Romira's ring is worth it. You can get charges from a Blue Dream jewel (~30 chaos I think) or Assassin's Mark.
Romiras is ranked very highly in Pobs item/dps sort. It proved valuable mana leech (if I add vaal pact that would cost a single skill point though), decent amount of crit and good accuracy. Or so I thought, looking at rare rings now those are probably a better source of just about everything than the power charge generation. I don't care much for power charge on kill that much though, too hard to sustain during bosses imo. Might just cut power charges from the build entirely unless I can find a good source. Can you put power charge on critical on totems and get the charges, or will the totem get the charge? Hegemony's era also gives power charge on knockback, and I have knockback on crit from tree. Not sure it's fast enough though, also not sure if it works on all enemies.
For gloves you will want to use Tombfist, they can't be beat for attack builds really, 1 socket is very cheap.
I ran out of unique slots, but yes, they seem very stronk, intimdate is +10% more damage. Should probably drop some other unique to fit.
For armour either Belly of the Beast (defence) or Carcass Jack (offense). Both are cheap.
Need some rare slots for ele res and + hp.
You want Maim on totem or linked to Vengeance (or both). Replace it in main link with Ruthless/Multistrike.
According to PoB, maim gives more dps than ruthless or multistrike (11% more) in main link. Am I missing something?
As for totem, maybe you just did it hastily, but use Warchief, not Protector. Protector is stronger, but Warchief is AoE, which is a lot more practical.
I just take whatever PoB sorts as higher in terms of dps :M
There is no reason to not use Blood Rage as A Slayer.
Blood rage is in the CWDT setup.

On a more general note, you might want to try to also make a non-Brutality version in PoB, unless you're dead set on pure phys. Melee builds benefit very strongly from stuff like Atziri's Promse, Unholy Might, Hatred, etc.
I did some tinkering in that direction, but it didn't really wind up increasing my boss dps that much (due to resists). One of the biggest flaws that I know is in the build is that I'm running haste because there's not a lot of good options for mana reservation with brutality. I'm guessing there is a better build in that direction, but damn those rares with +%ele damage are expensive.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Maim in main link does more assuming target is maimed. You usually let the totem maim those tough targets while you use another dps support in your main links.

Blood Rage in cwdt is not a great idea, you will need to be removing that cwdt support each time you do an uber lab trial or uber lab itself.
Blood Rage replenishes its own cooldown when you kill stuff, you don't want it to be replenished when you are just taking damage.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Maim in main link does more assuming target is maimed. You usually let the totem maim those tough targets while you use another dps support in your main links.

Blood Rage in cwdt is not a great idea, you will need to be removing that cwdt support each time you do an uber lab trial or uber lab itself.
But maim support is also the source of maim so I don't understand why it would be better to have the source in totem.

Why should I self cast blood rage in trials?

AMG

Arbiter
The "Enemies Maimed by Supported Skills take (10-14)% increased Physical Damage" part is global, all skills will deal increased damage, not only the one that maimed. So you let totem apply this, and slot into main skill a support that has better multiplier than 30% on Maim.

I totally forgot that Hemegony's generates charges, you should defintely toss Romira. Probably the power charge on block node as well, although it might help during bossfights. It will need seeing in practice, but it's probably unecessary.

Your rares are fairly conservative, you should have no problem capping res with Belly/Carcass, they both give a bit. Tombfist allows to you to slot extra 1 jewel which also have resists and you'll probably use a Stygian Vise, so that's another jewel.
As for mana usage on a brutality build, you might want to look up some Watcher's Eye mods, maybe something will pique your interest. Ideally you'd use Vitality with Life Recovery mod, but that's rather expensive. Arctic armor exists as well, you'll most likely be stationary while attacking.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Your rares are fairly conservative,
In my experience +80% total resistence, +80 life is... well it's not "final" rare perhaps, but still often quite expensive, especially if you toss in another good mod (like + physical damage, or accuracy or something)
Watcher's Eye
Every watcher's eye I've ever seen has been insanely expensive. But I don't think mana will be an issue in reality, since you can just find 0.2% mana leech on any random ring/amulet and be fine.

The "Enemies Maimed by Supported Skills take (10-14)% increased Physical Damage" part is global, all skills will deal increased damage, not only the one that maimed. So you let totem apply this, and slot into main skill a support that has better multiplier than 30% on Maim.
Didn't realize this. Yeah, 30% is quite low for a level 20 gem.

ArchAngel

Arcane

But maim support is also the source of maim so I don't understand why it would be better to have the source in totem.

Why should I self cast blood rage in trials?
Because blood rage being activated by traps while you got vaal pact and nothing to leech from around is irritating and can kill you.

AMG

Arbiter
Every watcher's eye I've ever seen has been insanely expensive. But I don't think mana will be an issue in reality, since you can just find 0.2% mana leech on any random ring/amulet and be fine.
I meant reserving your mana with something worthwhile, haste is kinda shit. And yea, mana leech is easily solved with a random mod on anything.

Vaal Pact characters are indeed fucked in lab, so if you plan on running that often then I'd play Jugger instead of Slayer. If you just want to get your ascendancy points then it doesn't matter anyway.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I meant reserving your mana with something worthwhile, haste is kinda shit. And yea, mana leech is easily solved with a random mod on anything.

Vaal Pact characters are indeed fucked in lab, so if you plan on running that often then I'd play Jugger instead of Slayer. If you just want to get your ascendancy points then it doesn't matter anyway.
Indeed, I'm more of a get ascendency and get out, so I only need to survive it once, and I tend to pack a lot of health potions.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Resurrected some yellow spirit knight dude who can cast multiple flame tornadoes and summon animated weapons, multiplied by my aura and sockets for multiple flaming burning splitting tornadoes. Went through some maps, looking as super dude clears shit together with skeletons exploding with POP sound around him, collecting loot after him and eating doritos. Felt like I was a noob rushed through endgame by a high level player. Sometimes this game is fun.

Then I was out of maps and went to kill random shit in blood aqueduct.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You need to enchant all your maps and buy extra from zana before and after you do her daily.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'ma a bit stuck between t3 and t7+ maps, ugh. So far finished to 20%.

Need a bit more hp to finish third bIzarro, now 4600, but I want little more.

I am not sure how some other builds deal with these amounts of monsters and bIzarro, I can send waves of exploding skeletons onto anything, even lag doesn't matter much. Wanted to try Diablo 2 like amazon with 180 noscope bow but I am unsure now how to handle particular engagements, labyrinth & possible lag.

I am disappointed that through all these years, passive tree is still a path of life nodes. They didn't even try to add, say, chance to find better items to it to create new purposes for building characters. And of course amount of stuff I need to collect increased, but inventory did not. :shittydog:

The map system is still cool when you reach a new map though. But the level of grinding feels beyond korean level. And I heard they want to battle farming currency. So I guess no casuls i.e. no non 13 y.o koreans allowed.

You need to enchant all your maps and buy extra from zana
u buy high level blue map
u scoure it
u alchemy it
u run it
u get nuffin!
u re poorer now! :shittydog:
PROGRESSION :fuuyeah:

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
U must have lots of phys res or leech. My 3900 + 800 shield feel just enough to casually, while drunk and shitposting somewhere, avoid damage spikes while pressing pots randomly while skeletons kick shit out of everything.

I gotta try melee soon, but I played most of what you usually see in these sort of games. What is the most exotic, off meta, retarded and quickest way to die to run another self founded HC, preferably dex/evade? Preferably with TRAPS :M

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Herald of purity might be cool for brutality builds. Depends on numbers.

Also: in before herald of sin which adds chaos damage?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom