Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Not really a big fan of the lewt whoring genre myself, but I have a buddy who likes to play these types of games with his friends, so I recommended checking it out, as I heard it was better than Diablow 3, blah blah blah.. After a few days he tells me.. "the hit detection on path of exile makes it almost unplayable" and "if your mouse is not exactly center mass on the enemies body you will not hit him. anywhere else on his body your attack won't go off"

Is this true ?

No.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
As much as I like some things in this game I've reached the conclusion that I had more fun with Diablo 3, mainly because the combat in PoE is kinda dull.

I'm ready for my stoning.

Aothan

Magister
I've recently transitioned from Lightning Strike to Glacial Hammer (with a staff) as my primary skill, whilst the former can generate considerable more power I find Glacial Hammer is more practical and better suited for the challenges of Nemesis. Under certain conditions Glacial Hammer can be rather effective, specifically the innate property which shatters on frozen elemental status when anything besides act bosses are at 30% or less life. At first I did not realise the skill had this ability and was often curious as to why so many rare and other powerful encounters would spontaneously shatter where typically on average three or more hits would be required. In conjunction with Elemental Proliferation and Melee Splash this skill assists with defensive aspects as much as anything else.

also finally realised the spell and melee concept of the character with the use of Arc and Cold Snap which are supported with a separate Elemental Proliferation; Arc is especially useful even with limited spell proficiencies since I branched into Static Shocks so that I can rely on Shock and proliferation to place groups into shock status before using Glacial Hammer. As a rule I open with Cold Snap (with Elemental Proliferation), followed by Arc (Elemental Proliferation) and then Glacial Hammer. Depending on the health levels of groups I will either focus on Glacial Hammer or change to Sweep which has Cast on Melee and Detonate Dead.

overall I'm glad my character concept came to fruition and can see potential to increase these combined abilities although I'm apprehensive about my character's defensive capabilities since the Templar's natural combination of armour, energy shield and life is quite robust (in my opinion) yet forgoes late game abilities such as high regeneration supporting either a dedicated life or energy shield emphasis. Furthermore the use of flask properties is not as accessible. Most of all the challenge of chaos damage is particular problematic as was made obvious against the Weaver and now against various chaos damage types in act III.

AzraelDR: somehow I missed your post, I'm going to try and participate in the new Descent races that begin this weekend, which will be my first Descent race. After briefly looking over the new uniques characters can choose from I'll probably select the staff which increases area of effect abilities and the belt (if that is the right item in mind) which increases flask life recovery. Not exactly the most synergistic combination but perhaps a mixture of augmented spellcasting abilities with improved healing can be used to good effect. If that does not work as intended I'll probably try an archer character in the following Descent race.

Last edited:

AzraelDR

Novice
I've joined the early races and I've discovered that most of them involve having very tight builds and not being reliant on items. This is especially true with the one hour races that I've participated in. So far the experience has been very fun, and I like the way that the points system work--the level thresholds in the season automatically gives you the unique reward. The mods for the races will influence the build you'll end up using. The turbo races are particularly challenging.

Instead of sweep+cast on melee+detonate dead, wouldn't it be more effective to use infernal blow+melee AoE support? It has one fewer spell slot for pretty much the same colors, and costs less mana. It scales better, too, since infernal blow's explosion damage is a percentage of the corpses' HP, instead of fixed damage in detonate dead.

Aothan

Magister
I've had the chance to try the new Descent mode a few days ago and found that to be an enjoyable diversion from the usual interests. However I made the mistake of descending the stairs into one of the early special encounters before my character was ready and thus spent a good five minutes or more before being able to continue. The races do emphasise a streamlined approach to playing but the novelty of the game mode can be fun regardless of how one chooses to play their characters.

concerning Infernal Blow, I prefer playing with concepts and (consonant) combinations more than what might be generally held to be more effective. One of Path of Exile's notable qualities is that it can allow for meaningful variations apart from the 'powerbuild' designs for reasons other than just being different. If I were to add those supports to an Infernal Blow gem or really just about any combination of support skills then it could easily replace my primary attack for damage purposes and largely negate the reason for alternating with Sweep and Detonate Dead every so often. Even so, the combined effect of Glacial Hammer as both damage and area control and Sweep with Detonate Dead as a situational area of effect works surprisingly well and makes for a satisfying playstyle. I wouldn't exactly know if there are any functional differences between the two concerning which modifiers apply or not but given the somewhat subdued impressions expressed about Detonate Dead I'm perplexed at how well it can work.

speaking of playing with less than apparently powerful skills, I've been pondering starting another Nemesis character - my two-handed sword Ranger but this time with Mind over Matter.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
The way LoL is being balanced is wholly intentional. It's called "Perfect Imbalance".
SC1 is also balanced by perfect imbalance. LoL is just terrible and shit is all.

You clearly have no idea what "perfect imbalance" in this context means. The last balance change to SC was made more than ten years ago. This is completely opposite of what LoL is doing.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The way LoL is being balanced is wholly intentional. It's called "Perfect Imbalance".
SC1 is also balanced by perfect imbalance. LoL is just terrible and shit is all.

You clearly have no idea what "perfect imbalance" in this context means. The last balance change to SC was made more than ten years ago. This is completely opposite of what LoL is doing.

I am well aware. And that is my point: LoL is deviating from that "Jedi Curve" by artificially tuning singular game elements (legends), while in SC1 the deviations along the Jedi Curve occur naturally by players finding new strategies/old strategies being toppled. Of course what EC says about the mechanical barrier is true.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Level 80 and i finally managed to survive Dominus's second stage, though it was close a few times and that with immortal call up for half the fight. First stage still rapes me like a bitch when he shoots those electrical ghost thingies (or whatever), unless i can stun him out of it.

I have 5000 life, 6000 armor, 77% on all resistances.

I really have to take this into consideration for my Nemesis character.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

What? The video talks about *not* having to change the game for the "balance" to be changed - by players' usage of the game elements (Hey, I keep losing to rock, maybe I should try the bag next time!). That's the kind of balance he's talking about (see the part about what players whining about changes, without developer intervention). Sounds like chess and SC to me. You (and the video) for whatever reason seem to then incongruently also mix in the continuous developer balance changes as an integral part of this. This may be what LoL does, but perfect imbalance is not what I'd call it, if at some point the chain of the FoTM legends stop (or would) until a patch creates a new chain reaction.

Aothan

Magister
Subotaiy: I personally enjoy playing without too much reference or perhaps rather adherence to skill mechanics and thus am not one to suggest too much about how you could refine your character. Having said that, you may experience some challenges with accuracy and mana availability. I'm also presently attempting to acquire mana so that I can finally transition into the last phase of my Templar's character design.

if you don't wish to use the nearby starting skills in the area then the skill points required to access the Marauder's Crystal Skin node could be used for either the "6% to all resistances" which are placed around the tree (one is already available, another could be accessed and simultaneously allow for Inner Force), or selecting the Elemental Resistance node close to Ancestral Knowledge (+30 intelligence) before the transition to the Marauder area and then divert two points into the Templar's starting area for the armour and energy shield notable which also includes 8% to all resistances. Another option available is to continue into the resistance skill nodes above the Sentinel notable near the Scion starting area.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I started a witch summoner named, Petsalot.

Is there a codex guild or something?

I prefer to solo and have reached nearly level 40 in 2 days. Just took down piety on normal, which was relatively easy. I am playing in the Standard league though, because I am a nutless casual with 1000+ms satellite lag.

Using shitty pets like, skeletons, spectres, and an automaton. plopped a whole 2 points into +30 str nodes to allow leveling the automaton, but might need to get another 10 to hit 20.

I also have the ability to stack 2 permanent hexes on enemies. They are extremely handy for keeping my pets alive in tougher areas.

Also, <3 hybrid potions that heal my pets, me, and replenish mana all at the same time.

EDIT: Hoping to find a summon weapon skill gem.

subotaiy

Cipher
Subotaiy: I personally enjoy playing without too much reference or perhaps rather adherence to skill mechanics and thus am not one to suggest too much about how you could refine your character. Having said that, you may experience some challenges with accuracy and mana availability. I'm also presently attempting to acquire mana so that I can finally transition into the last phase of my Templar's character design.

if you don't wish to use the nearby starting skills in the area then the skill points required to access the Marauder's Crystal Skin node could be used for either the "6% to all resistances" which are placed around the tree (one is already available, another could be accessed and simultaneously allow for Inner Force), or selecting the Elemental Resistance node close to Ancestral Knowledge (+30 intelligence) before the transition to the Marauder area and then divert two points into the Templar's starting area for the armour and energy shield notable which also includes 8% to all resistances. Another option available is to continue into the resistance skill nodes above the Sentinel notable near the Scion starting area.
Thanks for the input; that's not the final option of course, i keep modifying as i advance, based on what gear i find.

Veelq

Augur
witch summoner

The best way to lvl as summoner is to not use your minions untill lvl 55+ because they are too weak to survive, especially spectres with their lower hp. Get a +2 minions helmet for your zombies or spectres ( your choice ). Get Bones of Ullr, unique boots for additional spectre. Depends on what spectres you want to use - lvl good support gems for example Fire Sentinel has lesser multi projectiles and fork from the start so you can use faster casting for their fireballs, fire penetration for more dmg etc. When you want to use Burning Miscreations ( the ones with unrighteous fire around them ) then you need inc area of effect, burning dmg gems etc. For Tentacles Miscreations good support gems are greater multiple projectiles, faster attacks, added fire dmg.
Good idea is to use Purity Aura or whateva its called now, that gives your and all army +resists. If you can use Vitality - that will help with the regen of hp because soon they will have 5-8k hp. Use Arc spell lvl 1 to direct your zombies and spectres what to attack ( its very good because you dont need to target anything with this spell, costs almost no mana because its lvl 1 gem )
That is some basic info that came to my mind right now.

PS. And for buying stuff use one of the sites that searches forum. I use poe.xyz with an ancient theme because its just better.

Aothan

Magister
I'm finding the resource costs on my late game Templar to exceed what can be gathered, well to be clear not so much what has been acquired but rather what can be traded and thereby converted into orb currency. Even five link items cannot be reliably traded for three Chaos orbs at times and just in the last day I had to reduce an evasion and energy shield armour with five links to two Chaos Orbs. Nor am I particularly finicky about the equivalent costs being 'pure Chaos' only, actually Orbs of Scouring are preferred since they complement Orbs of Alchemy and these orbs tend to be traded at a reduced ratio for Chaos Orbs. For these reasons I've decided to commence another character so that in addition to not having to expend as much in orbs anytime soon for equipment and items I can hopefully come across a few more orbs for trade and craft purposes as with items to trade among the mid-level range.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Been playing this since yesterday, 's all right, though I haven't gotten into the social aspect at all. I still have no idea how much shit is worth.

And the game eats up memory bad

Aothan

Magister
just had another try at the Descent Champions race event, it was quite fun and I really like the combination of the staff which increases area of effect skills and the belt with elemental damage and flask recovery, alas I ran into a Brutus-like encounter with the Berserk attribute. I knew practically from the start I had to swap to range but erred a few times because my one blue gem slot was already set aside for Clarity.

empi

Augur
Just got some free time to play PoE again, invite to the codex guild would be nice, Geofffard ingame

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So guise, any reason I should be wary of aiming for Resolute Technique and Unwavering Stance on a strength and nothing-else Machete Rape Gangmember Marauder? That and is pure Strength gonna bite later? Played the game barely two days, but damn if it ain't a hook.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom