Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Glacial Hammer is probably really strong right now. Not only did it get a base damage buff, but Herald Of Ice makes an explosion whenever you shatter an enemy- and GH automatically shatters every frozen enemies he hits when they are below 30%HP. This should be really, really strong.

When you add the much more common 'elemental leech' you can craft or corrupt on gear, you are golden with: Glacial Hammer + Multistrike+ Melee Splash+ Elemental Prolif as a 4 links (Elemental proliferation is a must, as it means as long as one person your melee splash hits is frozen everyone is frozen). For 5 and 6 links, think Melee Physical Damage and Weapon Elemental Damage.

You actually don't need life leech as long as you have %ice leech on your gear.

Wow so it did get a major boost.

I guess I'm going to go for that way. Regardless I have 10 refund point, it would be pretty easy to switch to Avatars of Fire if the need arise.

Considering I'll also go for Resolute Technique, what would be more appropriate between the staff, or a one handed mace + shield?

Arkeus

Arcane
Wow so it did get a major boost.

I guess I'm going to go for that way. Regardless I have 10 refund point, it would be pretty easy to switch to Avatars of Fire if the need arise.

Considering I'll also go for Resolute Technique, what would be more appropriate between the staff, or a one handed mace + shield?
Mace and shield is much more tanky and easier if you have doubts.

Aothan

Magister
I'm not familiar with how Ignite functions, not having tried such a character before, but now that one of the quest rewards in Normal act three was Herald of Ash I have to wonder if this skill might be a little on the powerful side. As said whilst not familiar with the actual effect of the skill (somewhat aware of the mechanical dimensions) if it works as described then it could be described as a subtype of Melee Splash. Of course there are differences however having contemplated how to use Shield Charge effectively, which I believe is the most effective single-attack melee skill, and coming across this skill I wonder if the conjunction might be 'overpowered'. Balance is a bit of a vague (non-)issue in Path of Exile but maybe this skill when used as such might prove to be among the exceptions.

edit: Which one should I go for?

my advice is play whichever appeals to you the most, whether ascetically, thematically, playstyle wise, or combinations thereof. There are very few builds that won't work with time and effort if the player is so inclined, I wouldn't treat the standard of overcoming hoardes with a few button presses and minimal player effort to be defining of 'good'. But everyone has their interests and reasons for playing and some are more concerned about effectiveness as it is defined relative to other players.

I've used Glacial Hammer as my melee skill of preference for sometime, however that was also in part because of a particular interest in seeing how effective staffs can be.

for Templars whilst not widely endorsed the ability to reliably use Ondar's Clasp (30% attack speed at full health) and Increased Melee on full health in combination with Increased Melee would in my estimation be where the Templar's potential can be fully realised. However that is with respect to certain playstyles and such that in themselves won't necessarily compare with more more mainstream endorsed 'power' builds.

as above, I would recommend choosing whichever skills or abilities appeal to you, especially in the Act maps since these for the most part will accommodate the majority of character designs.

Last edited:

covr

Prophet
Patron
Of course there are differences however having contemplated how to use Shield Charge effectively, which I believe is the most effective single-attack melee skill, and coming across this skill I wonder if the conjunction might be 'overpowered'. .

Shield Charge overpowered? How is that? I'm playing tank Maruder (armour&life, 25 lvl), and Shield charge seems to be one of the worst skills I have.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
So I died with mah searing bond mara to some crazy chest mod full of exploding beyonds. The SB is fuckboring skill to use anyway, I'm glad in a way.

I want to make a build around the Beyond only unique, Edge of Madness, but am having really hard time coming up with one that doesn't suck. The thought of a shield-less char in hardcore scares the shit out of me. Basically the idea is to use Viper Strike, maybe some elemental auras and make use of weapon's per-level scaling. Maybe it's just a pipe dream and it's nothing but a leveling trash weapon.

lR3ZFQN.png

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
So I died with mah searing bond mara to some crazy chest mod full of exploding beyonds. The SB is fuckboring skill to use anyway, I'm glad in a way.

I want to make a build around the Beyond only unique, Edge of Madness, but am having really hard time coming up with one that doesn't suck. The thought of a shield-less char in hardcore scares the shit out of me. Basically the idea is to use Viper Strike, maybe some elemental auras and make use of weapon's per-level scaling. Maybe it's just a pipe dream and it's nothing but a leveling trash weapon.

lR3ZFQN.png

Yeah, you will have to farm those exalts and buy a Wings of Entropy late game.
Which is a perfect upgrade after using this weapon, as both benefit from +chaos damage and 2H Weapon nodes.

Aothan

Magister
Shield Charge overpowered? How is that? I'm playing tank Maruder (armour&life, 25 lvl), and Shield charge seems to be one of the worst skills I have.

not Shield Charge per see, Shield Charge when used in combination with Herald of Ash. To those ends significant single hand damage is required to produce enough excess for the group affected, so it is probably best to use slower weapons, e.g. maces, which have higher minimum to maximum ranges. But I usually prefer swords as a preference with shields, and that is not something I can easily forgo for my character.

also realised the other day it would be good practice to make use of Cold Snap in conjunction with Elemental Proliferation to reliably place groups at range for Shield Charge to work as intended. Otherwise Shield Charge is kind of limited because its single attack at range does not really compare to more practical melee skills, unless specially designed around, with say Melee Splash or other possible combinations.

that said I am finding it very difficult to actually leave the Templar tree, it just seems really self-contained for most of the attributes required, and any venture into other areas will cost five or more skill points. I think I'm on the precipice of transitioning into the Witch area but primarily for mana so that a third aura (Clarity, Herald of Ash, and Discipline) can be included. Even then the new skill pathways opened are interesting but most of the focus will return to the Templer's shield passive skills. I suppose once in the Witch area I'll probably contemplate how many points it would cost, and whether the additional pathways are sufficiently beneficial, to make another transition into the Shadow area, which is usually very complementary because it is another melee, elemental and magic hybrid class.

Dibens: Mind over Matter Duelist/Ranger, be sure to try Evasion and Life rather than Iron Reflexes !

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Ended up dying in Beyond as a Freezing Pulse Shadow. It was largely my own carelessness but I'll take the opportunity to observe how crappy Energy Shield seems to be without some way to restore it outside of the automatic replenishment.

Before I bit the dust I found a quality Fireball though, so I think I'll try to remake the Fire spell / high-health-regeneration Marauder I had in Invasion.

Padre

Liturgist
So guys, how do you like the new exp?
My thoughts - masters are a pain to find and grind xp for. Beyond is boring and Haku's missions are a pain in the ass for summoner. On the other hand Rampage mechanic is great and crafting is finally not so frustrating.

And Ormagoden is a dick for callling me a scubcore all the time.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Farming masters is totally worth having some of those crafting options and being able to map without ever going to the eternal lab.
But yeah master missions mostly suck, Haku missions are too dangerous to even bother for example.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
First time I've reached Merciless post-Dominus! :bounce:
I realize this isn't much of an achievement for most of the people in this thread, but I'm still pretty happy since my last HC character RIPped on this very fight (Cruel Dominus). This time, however - with decent gear and remove bleeding pots - he went down faster than Kim Kardashian. :)

Padre

Liturgist
Well, almost 3k health helped a lot I'm sure. My HC chars usually die in Act 1 Merci. I hate grinding one area for items so I usually go into Merci with shit resists.

I met Haku in a cemetery map. Gave it a go - results as always. Those invunerable totems raped my minions and since I use CI, I couldn't regenerate ES because of the constant mini hits. Made it to the Karui spirit and halfway back when I died.

Also I hope Hoax is online today. Zana gave me a rare cemetery map with some nasty mods and I want to do it in a group.

Carceri

Arcane
Died in Beyond during a haku mission too. I have learned my lesson and I'm simply going to avoid his missions...for a while at least. A long while. Fuck that loser.

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
It's starting to seem to me that doing the master missions (other than the dailies) isn't really worth the risk - at least Haku and Vagan can get you killed real quick.

Padre

Liturgist
Katarina's missions are safe. With Tora you have to be careful and slow when engaging some of the mobs and that's it. Vagan on the other hand is really dangerous, his charge can oneshot you on crit.

Yesterday found Haku in Tropical Island Map. Thought, what the hell, let's try it. All my minions dead because of the immortal totems everywhere, I die 5 seconds later. And those minions tank merci Dominus no problem.

As for dailies being safer - they are just scaled to the master lvl, not your lvl. When a master is lvl 4 he will be giving you mission in 30-40lvl range. No wonder they are easier. But I think they give less xp than high lvl mission. I've reached lvl 3 with Zana after 2 encounters with her in the maps.

Padre

Liturgist
Ormagoden I found out why those mods you can put on your map cost so much. It's because there's a chance to get a unique specific for that league. It's the only way to find some of the most powerful uniques.

made

Arcane
Played it a bit. Same content as the previous expansion - you run around low lvl areas trying to find random spawns. I never even got to unlock Atziri, and I doubt I'll get much mileage out of this expansion either.

And they nerfed life nodes across the board. My duelist has some 1k hp less than before...

Orma

Arcane
Patron
are you lucky lily m8? Raw and Chef hathaway started playing again not long ago, might be them.

EDIT: Sorry, fixed

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom