Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Shadenuat

Arcane
How do you manage the desync with that constant life drain on you? GG chaos res?
I throw life totem behind, it cancels it out. And with +HP per hit on cyclone and Rage's 5% life leech and life leech from items, I am actually always on full hp as long as I spin-to-win. Unless there are hordes of powerful mobs. Obviously I've decided to not use it on Vaal's Shadow :Mswitched to cold resist aura instead.
But sure desync is hell and I lag-teleport around all the time in most strange ways. Only thing I can do is mash that Leap button when I see that HP is surprisingly low.

Yeah, I finished act 2 merc. Getting to Shadow was a lot harder than dealing with boss.

Carceri

Arcane
This is why I was asking. I imagine that you're spinning to win, but when the inevitable desync strikes you don't catch it on time and life on hit/leech has no effect as you're not hitting anything, because you're simply not where you think you are...and the drain from blood rage is starting to really hurt. Most of the time things like these become apparent when it's already too late. 15% xp loss on SC, so probably not that big of a deal when the odd scenario happens, but I like HC and I'm staying away from Cyclone. A shame though, especially because of all those whirlwind barbs I have played back in D2 days, however, on it's current implementation into the game Cyclone it's just a poor reminiscence of D2's Whirlwind.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I won't even try melee on hardcore. Unless with option for 75% block? In D2 that was almost mandatory for most characters.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I won't even try melee on hardcore. Unless with option for 75% block? In D2 that was almost mandatory for most characters.
Yeah, max block builds are doing very well in PoE right now. You can also get a part of your block chance to block spells, which is very powerfull.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lost my 85 level Shockwave totem witch today, like 10 minutes after killing the most dangerous beyond unique, abaxoth. :negative:

Guess i felt really stronk and underestimated things.
What killed you? Just curious.

Labyrinth map boss, it has e. knives and devouring totem which empowers it.

I got bursted down by projectile spray crits, could not even pop my flasks.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Tried doing the labyrinth boss yesterday. One spray knocked me down to less than a third of my health and at the same time about six or seven devourers popped up around me. Alt-f4'd the fuck outta there.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Damn just realised I should have kept Rage at level 1 and placed Reduced Duration into it. That would make it last ~7 seconds maybe even less, so it would be more controllable. But then recasting it would be a chore. Not wasting my Cast on DT gem on it.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
So Abaxoth is a bad motherfucker. Accidentally summoned him in the Dry Woods with a group. One dude promptly RIP'd and I noped the fuck outta there.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
So Abaxoth is a bad motherfucker. Accidentally summoned him in the Dry Woods with a group. One dude promptly RIP'd and I noped the fuck outta there.

I killed him, was satisfying after being annoyed by his minions the whole fucking game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
3k hp and 75% resists and stupid frog in Docks still burns through me like a flamethrower loaded with holy promethium. PoE - where melees kite and ranged... I don't know, hope they don't facetank with bloated magic shields, cause that would not be funny.

I checked on local economy and started to wonder just how vulnerable this game should be to goldfarmers. Everything has value and can be turned into currency easily, heck even scrolls if you have a few thousands of them. A clan of decent Chinese and market should fall. If it did not already.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
3k hp and 75% resists and stupid frog in Docks still burns through me like a flamethrower loaded with holy promethium. PoE - where melees kite and ranged... I don't know, hope they don't facetank with bloated magic shields, cause that would not be funny.

I checked on local economy and started to wonder just how vulnerable this game should be to goldfarmers. Everything has value and can be turned into currency easily, heck even scrolls if you have a few thousands of them. A clan of decent Chinese and market should fall. If it did not already.
I laugh in the face of this patheric frog! (I use arctic armor gem, and I can just stay in his flame all day).

As for the economy being vulnerable. I've seen some real money trading offers here and there, but nothing really major and GGG tends to crack on them as best as they can. Also, Im not quite sure if the playerbase is big enough to make an organized farming clan viable, when you can do it easier and for more profits in other mmos. But from the technical standpoint, there is not a lot of mechanism that would stop a group from playing 24h a day and just running easy areas for currency items.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh his attack is fire-based? Why is it blue then and whole area is based on frost mobs... urhggg I used wrong pot
Gotta check if I have that skill too, but probably not.

Yeah I was surprised to see even some of high end currency to drop on normal and cruel, even for high level char. Or you could twink for semi-rare skill gems. It's so easy but perhaps people are just too lazy so they buy for Chaoses what they could get in 20 minutes of play. Perhaps my experience with korean grind games makes me see all that in a different way.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Oh his attack is fire-based? Why is it blue then and whole area is based on frost mobs... urhggg I used wrong pot
Gotta check if I have that skill too, but probably not.

Yeah I was surprised to see even some of high end currency to drop on normal and cruel, even for high level char. Or you could twink for semi-rare skill gems. It's so easy but perhaps people are just too lazy so they buy for Chaoses what they could get in 20 minutes of play. Perhaps my experience with korean grind games makes me see all that in a different way.
His attack is supposed to be Ghost Flame Incinerate, but I admit that sometimes it is hard to get which element every mob uses.

Currency drop rate is lowered the higher you are over the area level. You can still get currency items in areas like 30 levels below your character level, but less frequently. Its 2.5% less for every level you have over the area+2, so if you have level 80 and you farm area level 30, you get -120% currency drop rate.

Shadenuat

Arcane
At least currency is not some random unique ring that doesn't drop until hell freezes yet everyone pretends having hundreds of them and measures everything in them, even if what they have was duped with script--

In PoE currency feels like real one, you can exchange it and it is linked to only type of wealth you have, aka items, in a fundamental way. It's grindy and I am still not a fan of slots, but it's an actual intuitive working system.

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
I've decided to wait with Templar until a sufficient number of useful equipment pieces with chaos resistance are traded for before pressing too much further into Merciless, the overall difference in health between Life and Energy Shield means a concerted burst or successive series of bursts of chaos could be too sudden to reliably respond to. Since this character's belt, one ring and amulet can all be easily improved at this time I'll wait for appropriate opportunities to trade for these upgrades, although I still enjoy venturing into the crypt areas in act 2.

in the mean time I've returned to my first character type in Path of Exile, an archer Ranger, with the intent to use Lightning Arrow but found Ice Shot with Fork and something else seems to cover almost any area of the screen the Ranger is facing. I'm barely even aiming..so I'm tempted to revert to Fire Arrow or some other single focus skill to make things interesting (by my standards) but that can wait for now..

actually wanted to make another melee Ranger however my Templar plays really well for a melee character, once again according to my interests, and I thought a change of playstyle would be welcome.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
So I had to check it out. Played a templar through normal.
Fun and probably the best game of that type I've played since D2.
I liked the gem system and the large open skill tree, but they really only start to shine once you have gained some levels and find interesting support gems and sensible builds become more important. Crafting is done very interesting, too.
Story's confusing, but who plays those games for the story...

I still think I should but it aside again, or at least only play sparingly. It's a huge timesink and ultimately a somewhat empty experience, as is the case with those games.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
While the choice of gems is huge and possibilities might seem endless at first, many of them actually are trashy. It's easy to understand once you open trade chat. Wtb reduced mana, wtb multistrike.
Same thing with many uniques. High level armor without resistances or max hp? How cute.
There seem to be a bunch of top uniques, but even they pale in comparison to what you can get from rares, including prices. I got my sword at level ~45 and has been keeping it till now (level 71). The closest unique to it has even less damage and eh abilities. And high tier equipment is beyond my reach. Yeah, I'm totally gonna buy that "perfect" sword that has 5% more phys than another sword and excellent roll for 200 exalted! Go me!
hint: i won't

Game only really opens when you have collected ~100 skill gems & passives and lots of equipment. But it's hard to try new builds since even if you keep all respec points and orbs till merc you won't be able to respect whole tree. Unless you're filthy rich and can buy those in hundreds, then you could do anything you want I guess. Or don't care and experiment on HC by making twink after twink.
Although items do seem to fall down in large quantities and quality. I have ~50%MF, ~90 if counting blue gem, and I get truckloads of stuff, including uniques. Can't be bothered yet to sell them for 1-3C though. Maybe if I'll collect like whole inventory of them and stare at them.

Added to my build OnDT+Chains+Warlords. Free endurance charges for kill AND 5% mana and hp leech, awesome, never run out of mana now.
Tried Desyncstrike+CylMultistrike+Cyclone, funny but too much lag. Kept it on Dual strike.
Thinking of expanding on "cursed fencer" theme by slapping as many curses OnDamageTaken as I can. I wonder if there's a cap on how many can be at mob at one time?
edit: sadly there is, unless you build char all around it.

I also run Hatred. Cause no alternatives, I guess? Don't have Grace anyway.

...remind me never visit museums without capped Chaos resistance.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
While the choice of gems is huge and possibilities might seem endless at first, many of them actually are trashy. It's easy to understand once you open trade chat. Wtb reduced mana, wtb multistrike

This is a disingenuous argument. Some gems are more rare than others. This is what influences trade.

Shadenuat

Arcane
More like they are downright superior. How many melees rely on multistrike, and who doesn't want to cut his aura costs? Even I want that -mana gem but don't have a slot for it. An concentrated effect. Now that's a :bounce: gem for any caster and even cyclone.

You can get most of them from Merc Library quest btw. So it's not like it's impossible to collect these bread&butter gems in a bunch of runs.

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
there is something of a difference between skills being ineffectual rather than perceived as superfluous because others are easier to use or more simply still overperform relative to content etc

I think it is fair to say there are few ineffectual skill gems and rather a few which define the 'modality' of Path of Exile's standards of gameplay. Often as is the case some come to the fore whenever a recognised player outlines how to design a character around them (and market dynamics change accordingly), but this goes back to earlier comments regarding player behaviour (expectations, so on).

speaking of skills gems and apparent utility whilst I have not checked, hopefully now Cast on Melee is finally being recognised for its potential. Surely with the most recent of changes someone is probably using it to good effect and reporting on their findings. Typically though all of my Templars that made use of melee and casting have been played in all previous leagues whereas now I am focusing on a straightforward sword and shield styled character. Although I could revisit the potential of Cast on Melee with Detonate Dead and all else with my (five link) staff characters that are in the standard hardcore league. Personally I expect the changes would make the skill a little too effective when properly harnessed and more or less assume that would be recognised to be the case presently but that depends on the possibility of aforesaid vagaries.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
More like they are downright superior.

But some gems are meant to be superior since they are obviously of an higher tier. So first we meed to compare gems that are meant to be of comparable power, not just pick multistrike out of all of them and claim the rest are poorly designed by comparison.

You seem adamant to find fault in almost everything but i think this game did a lot more to avoid cookie cutter than most Diablo clones out there, so which game are you comparing it with, exactly? Name a single Diablo clone that solved the problem of "builds". Fuck, Blizzard gave up altogether in Diablo 3, which is a fucking disgrace if you ask me.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Tried Desyncstrike+CylMultistrike+Cyclone, funny but too much lag.
How so? Seeing as MS doesn't work with Cyclone anymore.
Hm, it doesn't? I think I felt a dps increase. Guess just my imagination then.

You seem adamant to find fault in almost everything but i think this game did a lot more to avoid cookie cutter than most Diablo clones out there
I don't really compare it to anything particular, if we're talking character building and skill use. I never played anything with massive homogenous passive trees and skills as gems in sockets & character building restricted by random chance of how many slots you get in an item. So I hate (and enjoy, depending on situation) game on it's own merits.

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
the Cast on Melee should ideally be placed on a different skill combination, such as with Sweep or Cleave, even a separate weapon in the alternate weapon slot although the delay in weapon switching is less practical for the same purposes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom