Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Shadenuat

Arcane
Man, summons are just hilariously bad in this game. Worse than D2 skeletons who at least could carry you through first act. This is when I feel in this game like Homer from Simpsons from that episode about car company. "I want a fast/big/powerful car" - "No take those hitpoints and mana&magic missile instead". They even recommend switching build at level 70 to summoner instead of playing through game as one.

Anyway since I've become bored with melee, I've taken a break and building something like this in HC/Beyond: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1008741
Passives: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-...YvdkL34rjaukC6-Tr7uw48B_yRffX-ej6gPrS_gr-j_6z

I like it because of elegant combination of summons, dmg and curses. But I also want skellies. I heard there is an ability that makes your summons eXplode :bunkertime: taking that asap for lulz.

Witch is funny. She's like a loli version of D2 necro. "Soon undead would rise for me, not against me!". It's adorable. And she looks great with a bucket-helmet on her head and other starting equipment. Like a 13 years old larper.

I get it minions don't have innate life regen in PoE without proper perk, that's what makes them so squishy and why I re-summon them all the time. Imo it should be there when monsters aren't around.

Last edited:

Quatlo

Arcane
Summons aren't that bad, the gear required is extremely cheap (hell, you could get most of it for free in standard, even I have some of it cluttering my stash)
The keystone for exploding minions is called Minion Instability, its just 2 points away from your build, look for it in North/West part.
If you want skellies try using them with spell totem. Hilarious shit happens.

made

Arcane
Summons were ridiculously OP when I leveled mine, and they only received buffs since then. You just have to support them with some selfcast spell initially, and buy some 1C uniques. Though now with snapshotting gone those cheap uniques aren't your endgame gear anymore I guess.

aron searle

Arcane
Cast on kill?

I can't find a use for that gem.

You still need to be able to kill things for it to work, at which point using it just means a weaker attack against strong targets (who cares about the weak targets any skill can blow up).

Absinthe

Arcane
I can think of a few spells you might want to use with Cast on Melee Kill.

Detonate Dead (+ Detonate Dead again? CoMK still lets you trigger multiple spells off 1 attack)
Decoy Totem
Devouring Totem

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
it is not a weaker attack because the skill so used is solely for the purpose of 'casting' the multiple spells linked. In other words the (alternate !) melee skill is not being used except to finish one or more creatures in a single attack. It is, in effect, a multi-cast gem with no (I feel as though I should be mistaken here..correct me if so) mana cost for the spells themselves. There are plenty of uses as long as someone is not using their primary skill or skills to activate said gem.

Absinthe's example is a good suggestion of the possibilities involved including both useful area of effect related spells with multiple defence or support related gems.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Skills like Decoy & Devouring Totem make more sense with OnDamageTaken. Casting them after every slain mob is a bit of an overkill. Detonate dead makes sense.
IMO there is no point leveling up character with this concept unless you go for STR/INT hybrid spellsword and can cast multiple firestorms and blizzards every time you hit something. That concept I can understand to be fun to play. Although I would still probably find all-automated one-click character very dull for me.

I continue leveling my witch in Hardcore league. Yeah I'd say people who claim leveling summoner is a terrible chore and recommend leveling in completely different build are overreacting. Summoner has a rough start (had to kill Mervel on Normal with starting fireball ffs) but by the time you get to Cruel it's nearly not as impossible or difficult as they say. Each of my zombies already has more HP than I do. On Normal summons die almost instantly to bosses and things like lightning casting mobs from Beyond and some stuff can make you run away. But once HPs, health leech, curses pile up, and you get a pot to restore minions HP, things start to go very smoothly and very safe. Very very safe, as for now I only had to self-eject once, during Normal Act 1 (!) as I was going through Mervel's tunnels and 2 unique archers from Beyond spawned in front and at the back of me in tiny corridor locking me away from any exit while bursting. I don't allow that to happen anymore.

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
my Beyond character was shifted to Normal after playing on their first map. Needless to say I'm a touch disappointed. What actually happened is I entered the last room on the Overgrown Ruins maps, and as is often the case, a Beyond creature was promptly summoned, a hasted Beyond creature, which meant the entire room suddenly lurched forward. This in turn meant the 'Behemoth' Vaal Fallens (if these are the right titles) did not physically block my character, who was standing right next to the door, but did prevent the mouse point from clicking on the entry. The fact my character managed to endure over three and a half seconds was impressive I thought, although it was mostly luck and timing with use of my various Instant Recovery flasks..

truthfully I was kind of relieved, even if I'm not spending inordinate amounts of time on this game or gaming in general of late, the sense that I could finally walk away was strangely reassuring. Until the next league somehow draws my attention once more.

but then I started thinking, or rather, ruminating, it dawned on me just before my character joined the default league that Whirling Blades could be a very useful skill to use for Cast on Melee, the results were mixed but it does make for an interesting possibility. Particularly if this skill unlike other skills does in fact bypass the limitation of single casting for certain spells on multiple melee targets e.g. using Cleave with three possible casts with only one Fireball being generated. If Whirling blades can bypass this limitation, which I have not properly checked as of yet, then that would make things very interesting indeed.

moreover I thought I would check the forums to see if others have, in my view finally, started to make appropriate use of this skill gem, but as of yet alas no..and so I feel drawn to try and demonstrate its potential. I'm reluctant because I'm sure I could use my time a little better, if not always, then every so often, on the other hand a little hack n slash stimulation can be useful.

so in other words, I am now making a character dedicated to this skill, I suspect it can be very powerful, perhaps incredibly power, especially if Whirling Blades works as described above, I'm also contemplating multiple versions so that I can use most abilities from this skill's function. This would reduce mana casts and also add a significant modifier (apparently 77% increase if memory is correct).

Aothan

Magister
alas guys, I'm out, please develop and refine Cast on Melee. All things considered it either has to justify to skill gems incorporated into a main melee or aoe attack (e.g. using Projectile Passives in conjunction with Lightning Strike etc) or function as a multi-cast 'spell' with practically no mana costs on an alternative attack (not the primary). Otherwise it serves a very useful role for casting simultaneously support and defensive spells, but I think the former possibilities are much more interesting.

Gulnar

Scholar
Man, summons are just hilariously bad in this game. Worse than D2 skeletons who at least could carry you through first act. This is when I feel in this game like Homer from Simpsons from that episode about car company. "I want a fast/big/powerful car" - "No take those hitpoints and mana&magic missile instead". They even recommend switching build at level 70 to summoner instead of playing through game as one.

But then, at lvl 70 with a lvl 20 and decent links gem a zombie is stronger than the average melee player. And you have eight of them.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
So I've been out of the loop for some time now. How many changes does the Sacrifice of the Vaal actually introduce? My char which I named "IAMHAMMER" is ready to jump right back in, but I need to know that it's worth it. Playing a dipshit with 11 int is fun, but the game could get a bit stale after some time.

Still the coop was glorious.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Actually I made a char that stupid on purpose, since I don't play them all that often. Quests were ok I guess. It's just that some of them could get a bit rinse-and-repeat from time to time.

set

Cipher
When the game gets stale you just think of a retarded build and do it, or you do a race. Though like all ARPGs, it's going to get weary after a while for everybody. The genre is just too grindhappy :)

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I just defeated Dominus on hc for the first time with my co-op bro. One of us always died in Act 3 because of afk/oos and the other one had to delete their char. 200h in and we're starting to get it...

Incinerate + Spell Echo + LMP = machinegun flamethrower

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I just defeated Dominus on hc for the first time with my co-op bro. One of us always died in Act 3 because of afk/oos and the other one had to delete their char. 200h in and we're starting to get it...

Drop fire penetration into the mix, it makes mobs melt even faster! Also, protectile speed gem could also be usefull if you are not a fun of having to stay really close to the mobs to melt them.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

Drop fire penetration into the mix, it makes mobs melt even faster! Also, protectile speed gem could also be usefull if you are not a fun of having to stay really close to the mobs to melt them.
I might do that, but I would have to re-slot everything and I have no orbs now. Need to wait for good item.

I'm running Herald of Ice and planning to get an item to add chaos damage.

My bro died yesterday on the road to Sarn lol - got into a bear trap, killed by the undying (while I was alt-tabbing teh codex). He was leveling a templar simultaneously, so all is good.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, that's Perpetus. He can be scary if you're not ready for him.
Yeah, Perpetus is an asshole, mostly because the standard strategy when you are getting hit hard is to run away and keep your distance, but Perpetus holds you in place with this bear trap. Also, bear traps are really scary for evasion based characters because you cant avoid the damage, and you have no mitigation. And bear trap can hit hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom