Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I have iron reflexes, and fortify does seem to help a lot, but all my gear is 3 slots or less, and i doubt its even worth upgrading to get more slots.

im at act 4 cruel difficulty, and some named enemies can oneshot me fairly easily, my hp goes up and down so fast its insane, i have cleave slotted with hp recovery gem (cant remember the name, the one with flat number) and multi strike and that keeps me alive against crowds.

For single target i use dual strike + fortify + fast attack, and a very important component of my survivability is mark of the poacher, i wouldnt get very far without it.
Whats your hp? And resistances?
2.2k hp, 3.3k armor and all 75%.
My dps is 1.9k with cleave and 3.2k with dual strike.
That sounds good for cruel, but act 4 in general is a bit overtuned after it being introduced in this expansion so dont fret too much about being too squishy. You run any fancy damage auras or heralds?

Lhynn

Arcane
Zdzisiu
Herald of ice, i was at the act 4 arena going to fight daresso, but lost against the orange dude, his cyclone just oneshotted me. A couple days ago at lvl 52 Vagan kept oneshotting me what what i think was immolation or something.

lukaszek then what the fuck is the point of being melee? Also with how shitty the movement is, having to move around sounds like crap.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Zdzisiu
Herald of ice, i was at the act 4 arena going to fight daresso, but lost against the orange dude, his cyclone just oneshotted me. A couple days ago at lvl 52 Vagan kept oneshotting me what what i think was immolation or something.

lukaszek then what the fuck is the point of being melee? Also with how shitty the movement is, having to move around sounds like crap.
You playing on the new lockstep mode? The movement in there is way better if you have decent ping.

Lhynn

Arcane
Zdzisiu

You playing on the new lockstep mode? The movement in there is way better if you have decent ping.
Havent changed the options, will check when i get home, but i thought it was on the new mode by default. My ping should be around 200 i think.

AMG

Arbiter
With 200 ping lockstep will probably be shitty.

I died in Daresso's Dream on Cruel. If you don't have big AoE skill this area seems impossible, unless you want to overlevel it by like 10 levels for which I have no patience. I was using the new Ice Blades skill and it just can't kill those mobs fast enough. You can't run away, can't hide and those pitbulls hit for a ton, like 400 hp a hit. Also chaos damage everywhere. And I am talking about those normal arenas, I can't even imagine beating the boss, Barghul or something. Maybe I could pull it of with granite flask, but no drop and I play self found.

Anyway, act 4 is pretty cool, better than 3 for sure, lockstep is great, and I didn't even know how much I wanted the item filter. I have also somewhat changed my opinion of tempests, later on they can add a bit of interesting dynamics. Still hate the particle shitfest though. Almost all of gems being now easily available is also swell. Overall game got a lot better.

T. Reich

Arcane
Lockstep is only good if your average ping is 80ms or less. anything more, and the old predictive mode is actually better (plus it got improved a lot, so it's much more palatable anyway).

I ended up switching from lockstep back to predictive because I tend to play in parties with people not from EU servers, and that usually means guaranteed 200+ ping, which makes the game really shitty in lockstep.

T. Reich

Arcane
Zdzisiu

https://youtu.be/7bFTw95pJp8?t=46

I always judge people in mmos by how they position themselves...

There are many ways to move in poe, walking is just one of them. My favourite is whirling blades.
There is more to this game than holding one mouse button down...(although not much)

Holding one mouse button in PoE is reserved for two kinds of people: 1. bad players who don't know better; 2. very good players who made an extremely good build with a lot of synergies that actually allow for one-button gameplay.
And - yes - even the second category players are usually very good at using movement skills.

And there are a lot of non-obvious synergies in PoE.
Just last night I looked up a few good ones just by browsing a couple of chars some of the top players use atm.
The best one was using Fortify support gem linked to whirling blades or leap slam, which are used as movement skills, even by casters (leap slam if sceptre, whirling blades if spell dagger or cybil's paw, which is a claw). Gives casters both a movement skill and fortify.
Some creative use of cwdt (now that Icall and Ecry don't work as well).
Using tempest shield (which is basically a mandatory no-brainer skill for any shield-user, because it's resource-free, just need a spare gem slot) linked with blind for that extra layer of defense blind provides; link with chain for more hits per block. Maybe can also use AA this way, it seems (now that it chills an enemy that hits you, and it may count as "hit" for blind, dunno).
Etc, etc.

PoE really rewards knowledge of game mechanics.

EDIT: as a caster (ok, trapper, but whatever), I really liked the new Flame Dash skill actually. It's much faster than lightning warp and only requires one support (faster casting) to work best. Its only drawback is that its use is limited to actual combat and it's pretty useless as a pure movement skill. But it also compensates for this by the fact that its got extra decent damage even without additional supports.

Radech

Augur
yup leap slam/whirling blades with fortify is a nobrainer for melee - loving it on my sweep templar, although my low attackspeed is making it a bit dicy to use in bossfights. Whirling blades is a brilliant oh shit gtgfast skill

combining it with AA, and ~50% armor reduction makes him reasonably tanky, but I still got gibbed a couple times yesterday(lvl 64 2.5k running maps with warbands in 3 man group, yeah asking for it :P)

ps. what are melee bros using for utility/buff/auras gems I'm currently running:

Artic Armour
Herald of Ash
Blood Rage + inc. Duration +
Enduring Cry
Warlord's Mark + Blood magic +
Leap Slam + Fortify
Vengeance + Life on Hit(considering throwing in curse on hit here, when i get the sockets, my jewellers don't stay long in stash... not sure if it should be enfeeble/temp chains or just warlords mark)

pre awakening I almost always ran hatred+grace with IR, but that kinda ripped with reduced mana now only affecting casts

T. Reich

Arcane
yup leap slam/whirling blades with fortify is a nobrainer for melee - loving it on my sweep templar, although my low attackspeed is making it a bit dicy to use in bossfights. Whirling blades is a brilliant oh shit gtgfast skill

combining it with AA, and ~50% armor reduction makes him reasonably tanky, but I still got gibbed a couple times yesterday(lvl 64 2.5k running maps with warbands in 3 man group, yeah asking for it :P)

ps. what are melee bros using for utility/buff/auras gems I'm currently running:

Artic Armour
Herald of Ash
Blood Rage + inc. Duration +
Enduring Cry
Warlord's Mark + Blood magic +
Leap Slam + Fortify
Vengeance + Life on Hit(considering throwing in curse on hit here, when i get the sockets, my jewellers don't stay long in stash... not sure if it should be enfeeble/temp chains or just warlords mark)

pre awakening I almost always ran hatred+grace with IR, but that kinda ripped with reduced mana now only affecting casts

Yeah, I have a feeling that AA is the new Grace.

Melee builds in general actually have a lot of ways to reduce the incoming daage atm, as well as a number of strong buffs.
So, I don't really consider them underpowered in terms of survivability.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Wait a moment! I havent considered the new AA in my build! Let me just try to squize it there...

Edit: But it only gives the reduction when stationary, and Im nearly never stationary in a fight when using cyclone, so not for me, but prompted me to make some other changes to the passive tree so all is good.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
https://youtu.be/7bFTw95pJp8?t=46

I always judge people in mmos by how they position themselves...

There are many ways to move in poe, walking is just one of them. My favourite is whirling blades.
There is more to this game than holding one mouse button down...(although not much)

The fun of melee is to go toe to toe with enemies, to hit shit in the face. Plastering aoe in front/around you or dancing around enemies with movement skills is not melee gameplay. Avoid damage while you close in then deliver punishment, that's how melee should play. Atm in PoE the deliver punishment part is most of the time changed to poke and run.

T. Reich

Arcane
This ain't WoW, it's a proper ARPG, there are no MMO "tanks" here.

Not that you can't make a tanky build if you do things right.

abija

Prophet
Who said anything about tanks? The simple fact that you equivalate melee with tanking says enough...

Aothan

Magister
yes I have wondered about Ice Crash in terms of balance, although balance still reminds kind of moot in the scheme of things if multiple examples can clear areas with little involvement except for pushing and holding a button for 15+ levels (the previously discussed single-button play style differences).

and speaking of tanks, my character has left hardcore again, the first phase of the final boss explodes or something, it might be a version of Righteous Fire, and that sent my character to 25% health. The bleeding effect was faster than my healing potion 'use' (spam).

all things considered I'm just going to do what my former character was doing, use Storm Call, for that first encounter and keep some distance. Not that my character was a 'tank' but it was mostly defence orientated.

Radech

Augur
Wait a moment! I havent considered the new AA in my build! Let me just try to squize it there...

Edit: But it only gives the reduction when stationary, and Im nearly never stationary in a fight when using cyclone, so not for me, but prompted me to make some other changes to the passive tree so all is good.

Lol hadn't even seen the stationary requirement - oh well not an issue for a sweep build, i just pick a spot and move everything else :P - I have seen a lot of cycloners use AA though, there's more to AA than damage reduction though, you also chill melees that hit you, and mobs you move through, which synergises very well with the MORE damage modifier against chilled from the hypothermia support gem, esp. with hatred so you get freeze proccs as well. In my experience it turned dominus phase 2 into even more of a joke(for a melee armor build) on merciless, because AA kept him consistently chilled, and that was only the when hit effect, not the ground(I think, might have laid some under him with leap slams, tried at least :P)

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Well, the expansion has been out a couple of days and I thought I'd post my thoughts about it aswell, and maybe find a couple of bros to hang out with in tempest/warbands too. :)

The good:
-Lockstep: Pretty awesome, obviously. It does have its issues with Lightning Warp though, sometimes you dont see the cast animation or the camera/character dont move to your new position, but you actually moved so its basically a reverse-desync and you get used to it pretty quickly.
-Loot filter: Didn't use one up until I started mapping and the lootsplosions really started, but after finding one that suited my needs and configuring it a little more I have only one thing to say: Best feature ever
-Act 4: Overall a pretty enjoyable experience. The soundtrack and area-designs are pretty great, though I would've liked a little more lore-exposition especially once you get into the belly. Kaom/Daresso get quite the introduction compared to the 3 guardians and only Maligaro has a few simple lines during the bossfight (though it makes sense that Doedre has no voice, having had her tongue ripped out and everything). I'd also like to know why Doedre is the only one that got twisted into the form she has now, since all the others are atleast somewhat close to their original bodies. Bossfights are memorable and great, and still easy to learn. Unfortunately the tuning in normal was a little off, so learning some of the encounter usually killed you off, which sucks for HC. Make the encounters punish mistakes more in cruel/merciless if you must.
-Divination Cards/Gem Vendors: Its amazing that you don't have to trade for every little gem or important uniques anymore. Being able to farm a Tabula in ~4hours seems a little broken to me, but it's not an endgame item so who cares. Currently farming the new Ice-Staff, havent gotten a single card in 2hours so it's still quite grindy and RNG based.
-New gems/itembases/yadda yadda yadda: More choices for builds are always a good thing.

The bad:
-The tuning of certain bosses(mainly Daresso, Corrupted Piety and Malachai) seemed a little of on normal difficulty. What I particularly disliked was the fact that you had little exposition as to what resistances you may wanna end up using during some of the fights. Apart from Daressos Portal being "frosty" and him being Merveils husband you really had no idea he'd only be using frost-spells, or that you will want lightning-res for Shavronne.
-Thats pretty much it, can't think of anything else that actually annoyed me. Maybe a new master could've found its way into act 4 or something, but with everything we got already we can't be picky.
-Oh, forgot one. Fuck the desert map boss. Like seriously, fuck him, kill him, throw his corpse into the water (if you actually manage to kill him instead of just TPing out and opening a new map).

All in all the new content is simply improving on the entire experience. My first tempest character died to Kaom because I'm an idiot, the second one is lvl 80 and running maps quite alright. Levelled with flame totem (dont judge me) and respecced into a summoner at around 55. Once I got into the belly on cruel and got my hands on those stygian revenants the game has become quite easy. Killed Kaom/Daresso on merciless because I wanted access to merciless belly for better spectres, but apart from that there is absolutely no reason to even attempt killing piety and the others. Some cool quest reward for killing the guardians/malachai on merciless would've been a good thing. I will probably be starting to expand my map-pool in the upcoming days, a couple of people are complaining already how it's basically impossible to maintain a pool of 75+ even when running 120%+ IIQ 74s, but I'd like to see that for myself.
Tempests are fun, for the most part. Killed Daresso on cruel when the energizing tempest was up, that was a real pain in the ass. Way too risky, should've just waited for it to disappear. I'd like some unique items revolving around the tempests, their duration is pretty short and they dont really influence your playstyle. Only really annoying ones for me are crushing (playing with 0 armor and almost getting oneshot by the shockwave proc simply sucks) and the animating tempest sucks as a summoner because minions don't attack raging spirits/weapons.
Also playing a warbands character (currently lvl 65) but haven't played around the warbands themselves yet so there is little to say about it. At least warbands has league-specific uniques, so that's better already.

Also, while some may argue that flame-totem is broken, so are revenant-spectres, firestorm, cyclone, incinerate and a couple of other skills. There always have been a couple of spells that made the levelling experience easier and that you could respec out of later, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. Why drain yourself levelling with 3 zombies and a handful of skeletons that deal no damage, when you can just flame-totem your way into cruel without spending a single point into fire-dmg and respeccing once you get the required links/gems/gear for whatever you want to play.

made

Arcane
The atmosphere in some of the new areas is sublime. Particularly Dried Lake with corrupted Voll and his minions - very Dark Souls.

Couldn't bring myself to play it with all the desync issues. In the past few days though, it's my most played game, died twice on hardcore (tempest) at lvl 40~. Can't get enough of that shit.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
The new areas just need some fine tunning. For example the Harvest area, its kinda difficult to see where you can move and where it is blocked. It looks ok on minimap, but on screen there is a bit too much cluter and it is too dark. Also, some mobs hit harder than one would expect. For example that spiderlike monster that shots those white arrows in a barrage, this shit hits like a truck and is fast, not to mention the unique version of this monster. It may not be a problem for Flame totem builds or summoners because direct damage rarely is, but for melee its kinda painful to eat it.

Also, the new maps based on the new areas are not perfect either. The boss of Desert map, this shadow archer that can use blink-mirror arrow is a pain in the ass to kill when you dont know what to attack, and it has a shitload of hp. The boss of the pit is also kinda difficult because he spawns those dogs and cocks that get charges, and the arena you fight him is small, and by God you are going to get swarmed quickly there. And if you get killed and attempt to reenter his arena, be prepared for a welcome committy consisting of a milion of mobs with charges waiting for some good old fashioned player gangbang.

T. Reich

Arcane
The biggest threat for me in The Harvest are those tentacle puncture dudes, they proc bleed like crazy and they pack a punch, too.

Veelq

Augur
Tip for Desert Map Boss - if you can focus on the one that is moving, his clones are stationary.
And from what i heard avoid Village Ruin boss, he is overtuned as fck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom