Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker details revealed at PaizoCon 2017 - Kickstarter confirmed, possibly in June

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not really ballsy so much as opportunistic. The Euros and USD this game would earn would go a long way in rubbles, so if it sold 100,000 copies that would be pretty good.

Also, its module, so a lot of the game was already designed for them. That might pare down development costs (although Tim Cain might disagree).

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Kingdom building: A new system based on the tabletop version but without so many micro decisions. The buildings you make impact the Kingdom's alignment and the alignment affects how other kingdoms and visitors interact with it.​

Noooo! Are they just saying that they will replace the economic and strategic aspects of kingdom building with a choice that will only impact which sidequests will be available?
What is the point of porting Kingmaker then?

Mass combat will only be in the game if the Kickstarter campaign spectacularly over funds. It requires that many original assets.
There are many way to do mass combat without having a separate mini game. Granted, the mini game is the approach taken by Kingmaker and most DnD campaigns when it comes to it, but Legends of the 5 Rings had an easy to implement mass combat system where both general roll dice and the outcome of the check are modified by micro encounters involving the heroes.

It could be easy to build things from there without using many original assets. Or even just build up from NWN2 OC and make it dependent on whatever the player did when building the kingdom.

I may be overly pessimistic, but I have waited for years for a game that would be Birthright done right, and I am worried they are not very interested by this part at all.
I hope it does not end as another Crossroad Keep Fiasco, where you spend a lot of time developing a stronghold that has zero impact on the game (I have heard PoE stronghold was the same, but I did not try it).​

ArchAngel

Arcane

Kingdom building: A new system based on the tabletop version but without so many micro decisions. The buildings you make impact the Kingdom's alignment and the alignment affects how other kingdoms and visitors interact with it.​

Noooo! Are they just saying that they will replace the economic and strategic aspects of kingdom building with a choice that will only impact which sidequests will be available?
What is the point of porting Kingmaker then?

Mass combat will only be in the game if the Kickstarter campaign spectacularly over funds. It requires that many original assets.
There are many way to do mass combat without having a separate mini game. Granted, the mini game is the approach taken by Kingmaker and most DnD campaigns when it comes to it, but Legends of the 5 Rings had an easy to implement mass combat system where both general roll dice and the outcome of the check are modified by micro encounters involving the heroes.

It could be easy to build things from there without using many original assets. Or even just build up from NWN2 OC and make it dependent on whatever the player did when building the kingdom.

I may be overly pessimistic, but I have waited for years for a game that would be Birthright done right, and I am worried they are not very interested by this part at all.
I hope it does not end as another Crossroad Keep Fiasco, where you spend a lot of time developing a stronghold that has zero impact on the game (I have heard PoE stronghold was the same, but I did not try it).​
Actually that will be in the base game. But they said first stretch goal for their KS campaign will be about making the Kingdom building part bigger and better.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Again, it doesn't matter whether you like PoE or not... It is ballsy for a no name Russian development studio to release a new flagship RTwP isometric Western cRPG about 3 months after the sequel to the most successful title in that genre in 15 years. With or without Chris Avellone, I have serious doubts about this game's chances of reaching 1,000,000 units the way that PoE did.

:abyssgazer:You just keep pulling and pulling stuff out your arse. Sawyer is that you? Nobody can be that misguided but him.

So there is another RTwP isometric Western cRPG similar to Pathfinder: Kingmaker that has sold over 1,000,000 units... do tell us what it is.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Again, it doesn't matter whether you like PoE or not... It is ballsy for a no name Russian development studio to release a new flagship RTwP isometric Western cRPG about 3 months after the sequel to the most successful title in that genre in 15 years. With or without Chris Avellone, I have serious doubts about this game's chances of reaching 1,000,000 units the way that PoE did.

:abyssgazer:You just keep pulling and pulling stuff out your arse. Sawyer is that you? Nobody can be that misguided but him.

So there is another RTwP isometric Western cRPG similar to Pathfinder: Kingmaker that has sold over 1,000,000 units... do tell us what it is.
I ask thy again! Did you ended up in valhalla because of a hit in the head?
Also do you know what a genre means?

Ulfhednar

Savant

So you don't have a specific game in mind?

Ulfhednar

Savant
Genre from Wikipedia:

Genre
(/ˈʒɒ̃rə/, /ˈʒɒnrə/ or /ˈdʒɒnrə/; from French genre [ʒɑ̃ʁ(ə)], "kind" or "sort", from Latin genus (stem gener-), Greek γένος, génos) is any form or type of communication in any mode (written, spoken, digital, artistic, etc.) with socially-agreed upon conventions developed over time. Genre is most popularly known as a category of literature, music, or other forms of art or entertainment, whether written or spoken, audio or visual, based on some set of stylistic criteria, yet genres can be aesthetic, rhetorical, communicative, or functional.

So I specified that I was discussing the genre [RTwP isometric Western cRPG]...

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

So you don't have a specific game in mind?
Do you think we are having a debate? You fail to grasp basic terms and try to throw useless garbage my way. What you described above in that verbal diarrhea is not a genre. Nor it will effect anything if the game is released 3 months after a realease of any product. Only products released in the in same week, day or sometimes a month (which I don't believe) hurt sales check how music business handles realeases. Most people will have POE finished in 1~1,5 month tops anyway.
I don't even have to mention that the whole POE 2 is going to be sub par...

Black

Arcane
Oh god, people are arguing over poe vs other rtwp.
:negative:

Last edited:

all three dragon age games :troll:

Ulfhednar

Savant

The Dragon Age games and NWN 1 & 2 are full 3D games, they are not isometric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection

isometric1wfm5.jpg

looks isometric enough for me :M

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

The Dragon Age games and NWN 1 & 2 are full 3D games, they are not isometric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection

I don't want to ruin your fun, but isometric is not a genre (meanwhileInPoland likely knows this, while our viking buddy...). And quoting some arbitrary qualities with addition "looks like and plays like a game X" does not make it better contrary to popular belief in this thread.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I don't want to ruin your fun, but isometric is not a genre (meanwhileInPoland likely knows this, while our viking buddy...). And quoting some arbitrary qualities with addition "looks like and plays like a game X" does not make it better contrary to popular belief in this thread.

That's how you define a genre - you pick the arbitrary qualities that you want to compare, and then find things that match those qualities.

Again from Wikipedia: Genre is most popularly known as a category of literature, music, or other forms of art or entertainment, whether written or spoken, audio or visual, based on some set of stylistic criteria, yet genres can be aesthetic, rhetorical, communicative, or functional.

That's the great thing about discussing genre - you get to make up your own criteria. Your genre can be literally anything, so long as you tell people what you are talking about first. PoE is an isometric game, so it's fair to compare it to other isometric games.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

That's how you define a genre - you pick the arbitrary qualities that you want to compare, and then find things that match those qualities.

Again from Wikipedia: Genre is most popularly known as a category of literature, music, or other forms of art or entertainment, whether written or spoken, audio or visual, based on some set of stylistic criteria, yet genres can be aesthetic, rhetorical, communicative, or functional.

That's the great thing about discussing genre - you get to make up your own criteria. Your genre can be literally anything, so long as you tell people what you are talking about first. PoE is an isometric game, so it's fair to compare it to other isometric games.
RTwP isometric Western cRPG similar to Pathfinder: Kingmaker

You literally believe that you created a new genre here?

Ulfhednar

Savant

I defined the genre that I wanted to talk about... It's like if you went to book club and said I want to read books by Russian author's from the 19th century. Then the book that you would read the next week would be from that genre.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

I defined the genre that I wanted to talk about... It's like if you went to book club and said I want to read books by Russian author's from the 19th century. Then the book that you would read the next week would be from that genre.
A book by Russian/British/German author is NOT a genre. Soviet science fiction or History (in soviet era. Technically also fiction) are genres.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
l3loodAngel You don't understand. I think he understands "genre" like.. hmmm.
It's like art.
As soon as anyone says "this is art", it is art. Whether you like it or not.

It is about as useful as a definition as "this is an RPG because I play a role hurr durr".

Ulfhednar

Savant

A book by Russian/British/German author is NOT a genre. Soviet science fiction or History (in soviet era. Technically also fiction) are genres.
Great! - Could you please let the rest know when you have sorted out this perfect hierarchical classification of all known media. The librarians have been working on that problem for a few centuries now. In the meantime, I'll keep using the word 'genre' in the sense of I want to define a group of like things, rather than in the strictly taxonomic sense. Like most people do...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom