Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
if HE actually writes them, and not the guy with the most colorful shirt in the world for example.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Done. I can't resist giving money to the Codex. If DU was sharp he could use that for his nefarious purposes. Shame there were no lower tiers with Pathfinder rule books included - I can't get enough of that shit. I'm the sort of person who will read a rule book for fun. Lowest tier that included a set was $500. For a glorious special boxed set of a game led by grognard industry giants I might bend, but not for a bunch of Russians who are probably going to squander it all on vodka and potatoes.
Feel free to donate as much as you like.

We've hit $500 already. Excellent. :salute:

DarkUnderlord Raise the goal to $1000 (or higher if we've reached a high enough sum by the time you see this)
I went with "or higher".

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's weird seeing how excited he seems about the romances. I just hope they're not boring, wholesome romances instead of the tragic/gloomy relationships he used to write.

Does she flirt with female couriers too?
Yes, but IIRC you need a perk for it.
We know two things about how romances are going to look in the game:
#1 No buying gifts to improve your companion standing like what Dragon Age had
#2 Romantic interactions with companions are not going to stop with sex like how most games do it, it is going to be a relationship thing throughout the game

PrettyDeadman

They'd better make relationships have real consequences like then you try to romance a married man all good and lawful companions call you skum and leave/attack you, his abandoned wife kills his children and herself, and then you go to sleep and have a game over screen explaining that your lover killed you during sleep and then killed himself.

I am tired of shitty immoral degraded representation of romances in videogames where you can romance everyone with no consideration or consequences.

What's so cool about this game's lore? I've looked through videos and read about the original campaign, and to me it looks generic as hell. PoE had much more interesting lore due to a couple of twists on standard fantasy things, and here it was labeled as banal shit boring.
So, what's the fuss all about?

ArchAngel

Arcane
They'd better make relationships have real consequences like then you try to romance a married man all good and lawful companions call you skum and leave/attack you, his abandoned wife kills his children and herself, and then you go to sleep and have a game over screen explaining that your lover killed you during sleep and then killed himself.

I am tired of shitty immoral degraded representation of romances in videogames where you can romance everyone with no consideration or consequences.
I doubt any of your companions are going to be married :D
This is not Witcher, you are not going to be "romancing" random NPCs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What's so cool about this game's lore? I've looked through videos and read about the original campaign, and to me it looks like generic as hell. PoE had much more interesting lore due to a couple of twists on standard fantasy things, and here it was labeled as banal shit boring.
So, what's the fuss all about?
Twists? Like calling Vampires Vampyrs ? Such a twist lol.

As for Pathfinder, yea it is a standard fantasy adventure setting where the quests you do, characters you meet and stories told on the way is the meat on the bones. It does not bother with larger lore and at the same time it will not be dumping books of boring lore on the players like PoE did.

Prime Junta

Fampyrs.

Twists like making undead an unintended side effect of animancy rather than some kind of curse or infection, setting it in a period of dynamic progress and expansion in the arts, sciences, and magical research rather than a frozen-in-amber fantasyland looking back to some ancient golden age, having a colonial setting rather than one where ancient kingdoms are forever locked in a stalemate, shedding the race=culture trope and instead creating cultures mixing races with institutions to match (Glanfathans, Aedyrans with their hæmneg), drawing from a broader range of human cultures for inspiration than the traditional Europeans + anime + totes-not-Mongol-orcs serving as the foil, ditching the idea of "good" and "evil" races, ditching conflicts driven by metaphysical "good" and "evil" rather than concerns over territory, religion, or economy, having scary and genuinely nasty cults and secret societies with understandable, even laudable motivations (Skaen is right damnit!) ... and so on.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Fampyrs.

Twists like making undead an unintended side effect of animancy rather than some kind of curse or infection, setting it in a period of dynamic progress and expansion in the arts, sciences, and magical research rather than a frozen-in-amber fantasyland looking back to some ancient golden age, having a colonial setting rather than one where ancient kingdoms are forever locked in a stalemate, shedding the race=culture trope and instead creating cultures mixing races with institutions to match (Glanfathans, Aedyrans with their hæmneg), drawing from a broader range of human cultures for inspiration than the traditional Europeans + anime + totes-not-Mongol-orcs serving as the foil, ditching the idea of "good" and "evil" races, ditching conflicts driven by metaphysical "good" and "evil" rather than concerns over territory, religion, or economy, having scary and genuinely nasty cults and secret societies with understandable, even laudable motivations (Skaen is right damnit!) ... and so on.
Fampyrs right :lol:

Means shit when they just act like D&D undead. Ghouls from Fallout were the right twist on Undead. The era of setting also means shit when its focus is on magical art of animancy that basically comes down to a D&D setting where necromancy is separate from other arcane arts and looked down upon (even more than it is already). Only real difference we got is guns which also exist in D&D settings but are not really used in games.
The New World setting also means shit because this new world is already settled and nothing of importance happens connected with that theme.
Everything else you mention is the matter of quest and story design and has nothing to do with lore or setting.

Brother Rat

Novice
Wow, Pillars' lore really is several steps above the standard generic fantasy you see in other games. The attention to detail, the subtle but important twists on old formulas, and the sheer quantity of points of conflict should allow Obsidian to dump all the kiddy stuff and finally sit crpgs at the adult table where they belong. I can't wait to see what kind of new adventures await in this complex, innovative world Obsidian has worked so hard to create!

fyfyf.jpg

...oh.

Quantomas

Savant
You know, the beginning in PoE was actually a fairly well polished part. So many other areas of the game show budget limitations.

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Fampyrs.

"Hey, I just need to subvert a few stereotypes/tropes, and the insipid drivel I spout will magically become SUPER-interesting!"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avellone companion: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/1936426?

Amiri: Unleash the Rage

Dear Pathfinders,

Our Kickstarter campaign may be over, but the updates keep on coming! We will continue to post news about the state of our game and our current progress. So without further ado, here's our next companion update, featuring a very special barbarian:

Far to the north lies the deep-frozen Realm of the Mammoth Lords — the homeland of primordial megafauna and equally primordial nomads. The people who live there are savages even by the standards of other barbarian tribes — life in this harsh climate leaves little place for anything beyond survival. Unlike Numeria, where women stand equal with men, here they are reduced to servants, preoccupied with raising children, making food and sewing clothes while men occupy the positions of chieftains, priests, warriors and hunters. These are the rules — but no rules can stop the fiery spirit burning in a true barbarian's heart. Amiri proved it by revolting against the miserable life her tribe has offered her, and becoming a fearsome warrior. Her triumph was rewarded with hatred, ridicule and, ultimately, an exile. She left her homeland and went to search for her destiny, never looking back.

0a4b029b6a842ca867559113a3662da2_original.jpg

If you have played the table-top version of Pathfinder RPG, then you are already familiar with Amiri, the iconic Barbarian. You might have met her — or maybe even played as her! — in one of the many Adventure Paths, watching her career as she went up to the top level. In the Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG we offer a new chapter of her journey, from the moment when she, a young Barbarian fresh from the North, joined an ambitious expedition to the Stolen Lands. What will she meet along the path? Will her past catch up to her, and how will she deal with it? You'll be there to see for yourself, and leave your mark on her destiny.

As a true barbarian, Amiri shuns heavy armor, rushing into battle armed with an enormous sword — a memento from her motherland — and her wild, unbridled rage. While her more fragile allies attack from afar with arrows and magic spells, she hurries to the frontline, with just one strategy in mind: do as much damage as possible, and beat the enemies to a pulp before they get a chance to do the same to her. "I'll survive. I always survive" is her motto, and so far it has never failed her.

e877bcdb0bc9f35190fbc5ba3bf2bd3d_original.gif

If you decide to rely on Amiri's help in ruling your kingdom, don't expect any insightful advice — instead, make use of her muscle power, agility and phenomenal endurance. Moderately loyal and not too scrupulous, she'll make a great peacekeeper, or a formidable enforcer, depending on your governing style.

Hail to the Kings,

Owlcats.

e94639ac9cc5d71687fc3070884fa252_original.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Fampyrs.

What a load of crap.

PoE is really the next Oblivion in that it gives you a huge amount of nothing which you can pretend is anything therefore creating the ultimate RPG experience.

Amiri: Unleash the Rage

Not enough tits. Failed character.

cruelio

Savant
Who else is really excited to tell the retards on this forum they were scammed again when the latest shovelware company that gave Christ Avelowne a bunch of 7-11 gift cards to do some marketing copy pushes out a shit game. I'm going to have a great time, like I did with every Brian Fargo scam you guys fell for. Get HOYPE!

Telengard

Arcane
Who else is really excited to tell the retards on this forum they were scammed again when the latest shovelware company that gave Christ Avelowne a bunch of 7-11 gift cards to do some marketing copy pushes out a shit game. I'm going to have a great time, like I did with every Brian Fargo scam you guys fell for. Get HOYPE!
They're not being scammed. They're paying for a Russian shovelware version of Baldur's Gate built under a Russian shovelware adaptation version of the Pathfinder ruleset (it's not easy to make D&D realtime and still be fun). And thus, fair Codexia is getting exactly what she's paying for at the price she's willing to pay for it. Pay at Russian shovelware prices, and get Russian shovelware. It's not rocket science. The fact that fair Codexia will later hype herself up into believing the game is going to be the second coming of AA Biowarian Baldur's Gate, and will thus ultimately be sorely disappointed about what she actually gets, that's nobody's fault but her own.

I will concede, though, that Codexia is stupid, in that specifically autistic kind of stupidity where they understand nothing about the way the world works unless it can be reduced to a finite number of intrinsically definable variables. ie - "It looks like Baldur's Gate and has D&D rules, therefore it must be Baldur's Gate 3!" Simple equation: A + B once equaled C, therefore it must ALWAYS equal C. "Baldur's Gate 3! At last! All the other devs who tried were just dumb; this time it's gonna be real! Now I finally get to play Baldur's Gate 3!" *plays game* "It's shit! I knew it all along!"

And the cycle repeats, over and over and over again. It's the fundamental nature of the modern nerd. And it is also, of course, the very reason why we can't have nice things. Which is, when it comes down to it, more of a sad thing than a funny thing. But you can laugh at it, if you want and you are a fan of black humor - that is, as long as you are putting your money where your mouth is and buying and playing the kinds of rpgs you yourself do want, while laughing at the other nerds buying games they won't actually want once they get them. Otherwise, though, you're just standing by Nero and laughing while he fiddles while Rome burns, taking your house with it. Not to mention also consuming all the other rpgs except those in the highly protected, aristocratic Skyrim "we really are rpgs, honest!" district.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom