Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy shit an actual camping system. Incline.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I like that they're actually building on a simple system to expand roleplaying opportunities, gotta ask though whether it fits for a king, wouldn't he have a massive luggage train, with servants to set up his marquees, soldiers to construct the camp an its defenses, courtiers to deal with most intrusions etc?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
gotta ask though whether it fits for a king, wouldn't he have a massive luggage train, with servants to set up his marquees, soldiers to construct the camp an its defenses, courtiers to deal with most intrusions etc?

I think the player character is only a minor lord, not a king.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean if the camping doesn't make sense, that should be also said for the adventuring with 4-5 more people in the wilds. I imagine that there will be a solid explanation, I have no idea about Pathfinder lore

Brancaleone

Liturgist
I like that they're actually building on a simple system to expand roleplaying opportunities, gotta ask though whether it fits for a king, wouldn't he have a massive luggage train, with servants to set up his marquees, soldiers to construct the camp an its defenses, courtiers to deal with most intrusions etc?
I'm fine with playing as a pretend Homeric king, the kind whose sons had to spend their days tending cattle.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Aye a king whose power dunt really stretch far beyond his hand might be an interesting character to play, but I hope we'll start to see some evidence of royal authority at some point. Good beginning might be an explanation o why you're a king: Is the kingship hereditary, does some watery tart lob a sword at you, is there a Thing where landowners elect one o their own, are you a conquering tyrant etc?

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Aye a king whose power dunt really stretch far beyond his hand might be an interesting character to play, but I hope we'll start to see some evidence of royal authority at some point. Good beginning might be an explanation o why you're a king: Is the kingship hereditary, does some watery tart lob a sword at you, is there a Thing where landowners elect one o their own, are you a conquering tyrant etc?
Yeah, or something like a (more serious) Captain Carrot from Pratchett's books, if he hadn't chosen the Watchman route.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Reminder #n that this game is an adaptation of a pen-and-paper module, so you can just read it and find out.

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Stolen_Land

Rag-tag armies of mercenaries from the northern nation of Brevoy have turned their attention south to the region of the River Kingdoms called the Stolen Lands, and hope to reclaim control of these lands to expand their power. Yet the dangerous denizens of the Stolen Land will not give up their lairs quietly. The heroes are one of four groups sent south to explore these wilderness realms and establish colonies, yet the dense woodlands and rugged hills of this region are far from safe. Will the heroes be able to wrest control of the realm from the monstrous bandit known only as the Stag Lord?

Conquering colonalist it is, though not necessarily a tyrant.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Well tyrant or not int really up to player is it, if native population don't want his rule then good or bad they're gonna see him as a tyrant. Which could be real fun.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Well tyrant or not int really up to player is it, if native population don't want his rule then good or bad they're gonna see him as a tyrant. Which could be real fun.

Not if they offer a better deal than the native population and don't treat them like shit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This camping system looks nice,but it could turn out to be a tedious job if there is no way to speed it up or skip it. Can you imaging doing this 200 times and having to wait a minute for it !? Also is there any info on when the game will come out? Not asking for a exact date,more like a year or quarter.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I think resting taking up time is a good thing so you at least think before spamming the button. Tabletop D&Ds class and encounter balance is somewhat based upon resource management and encounters per rest. Being able to rest anywhere takes that aspect away. The hardest mode should have the Dragon Age Origin Leliana song cutscene play every time you rest outside your keep so you would rather tpk and start over than rest.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Can you imaging doing this 200 times
Why would you rest 200 times?
How many times did you rest in Baldur's gate games or in Pillars ?
This is why this resting system needs to be as irritating and as punishing as possible to force people to stop rest spamming.
And that is a good reason why there won't be a second game. Making a game tedious is not a good idea. I am all for complexity and shit,but just making it boring just to drive away "casuals" is stupid.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is why this resting system needs to be as irritating and as punishing as possible to force people to stop rest spamming.
And that is a good reason why there won't be a second game. Making a game tedious is not a good idea. I am all for complexity and shit,but just making it boring just to drive away "casuals" is stupid.
They are making a D&D game, it has to have some D&D features even if non D&D players don't like them. Those can play their Fallout 4 and Destiny 2 shit.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They are making a D&D game, it has to have some D&D features even if non D&D players don't like them. Those can play their Fallout 4 and Destiny 2 shit.
Oh yeah i agree with you on that. But i don't think that making camping long and tedious is the most D&D element ever. Wasting more of a minute on every resting will be stupid. If they decide to make it faster or player being able to skip it for the best. Of course it could end up that there is need to rest 10 times in the whole game,and this will be ok. The worst possible thing could be if you need to rest multiple times to heal and every resting time takes more than a minute.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom