Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #54: Releasing on September 25th, Preorder Available

If this game fails, it won't be because of other games released the same month or because of forum drama nobody has heard of.

It'll be because barely anybody has heard about the game, because not many people really wanted it, and because it's an Eternity clone instead of a Divinity clone.

I agree about the complete lack of exposure this game is getting. Always thought they will put the hype machine in overdrive when they have something to show, but the game is supposed be out in two months, and still nothing. That's worrying. Though I think you mean "Baldurs Gate clone" or "IE clone", because that was the pitch for this game after all. Nobody cares about PoE enough to clone it, and never will. :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Though I think you mean "Baldurs Gate clone" or "IE clone", because that was the pitch for this game after all. Nobody cares about PoE enough to clone it, and never will. :P

Not sure whether you've seen any footage of this game. Granted, it's not as blatant a clone as Black Geyser...

Game developers definitely cared about PoE when they saw it sell hundreds of thousands of copies on launch. They'll care less now, but it's too late for this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why, it is almost as if Poe itself is a clone of some other game. A bad clone.

That's obvious, but it's pretty obvious this game was made to capitalize on the success of Obsidian's RPGs, and it shares some features with them, such as use of prose in dialogue, lore tooltips, and the bottom row user interface.

(The game is also actually fully 3D, so it's a bit like NWN2 too :M )

What is pretty bloody obvious is that they (like Obsidian before them) are betting on the nostalgia horse, what with namedroping "Inspired by genre classics like Baldur's Gate" whenever they can. And what does being in 3D even mean today? Now you are not even trying.

Shilandra

Learned
What is pretty bloody obvious is that they (like Obsidian before them) are betting on the nostalgia horse, what with namedroping "Inspired by genre classics like Baldur's Gate" whenever they can. And what does being in 3D even mean today? Now you are not even trying.
Why, it is almost as if Poe itself is a clone of some other game. A bad clone.

That's obvious, but it's pretty obvious this game was made to capitalize on the success of Obsidian's RPGs, and it shares some features with them, such as use of prose in dialogue, lore tooltips, and the bottom row user interface.

(The game is also actually fully 3D, so it's a bit like NWN2 too :M )

Wait, by fully 3d do you guys mean the enviornment and characters are 3d with static camera or is there a movable camera in a 3d environment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wait, by fully 3d do you guys mean the enviornment and characters are 3d with static camera or is there a movable camera in a 3d environment.

I think you mean "rotatable camera".

Yes, the environment is 3D but it works like the Infinity Engine and Pillars of Eternity.

Shilandra

Learned

I think you mean "rotatable camera".

Yes, the environment is 3D but it works like the Infinity Engine and Pillars of Eternity.

Oh thank god. After Divinity I'm done with rotatable cameras for a while.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Don't regret backing this (via codex) so far, looks like it could be fun.

But I do agree releasing right next to two huge releases like that is probably not the best strategy. I suspect the entire autumn is probably bad timing for indies, since that's when all the AAA games come out (even if a game like this has very little direct competition, there is still some and the journos will have more other things to write about).

Of course, they planned to release before the AAA flood started, so in reality they just didn't properly plan for delays.

Squid

Arbiter
Ever since I've gotten older I've had a hard time justifying my money to a game that hasn't gone through the criticisms and been thoroughly played through yet. I'll just wait to see what people say and make my decision then, I have plenty of other games to occupy me.
Seriously, outside of limited runs of physical items how do you justify a pre-order?

imweasel

I can't. I already pre-ordered Fallout 76.

Choices have to be made.
bethestard.png
tag request.

He'll wear it with pride.

Infinitron

Drowed

Arcane
I do think the game looks interesting, at least better than PoE (and I liked PoE). But given that they will have a season pass and several DLCs, no doubt I will wait for the inevitable promotion of the definitive/complete/special/final/champion edition with everything included. That will end up costing less than the game at its launch price in the next sale or something.

I mean, if I know for sure that the game will still receive a lot of content, why rush to pay for a mutilated version of it? The only thing this "season pass" culture does is encourage me to wait as long as possible because who in their right mind would buy a game in a worse version if you will end up seeing the better version in the future?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I do think the game looks interesting, at least better than PoE (and I liked PoE). But given that they will have a season pass and several DLCs, no doubt I will wait for the inevitable promotion of the definitive/complete/special/final/champion edition with everything included. That will end up costing less than the game at its launch price in the next sale or something.

I mean, if I know for sure that the game will still receive a lot of content, why rush to pay for a mutilated version of it? The only thing this "season pass" culture does is encourage me to wait as long as possible because who in their right mind would buy a game in a worse version if you will end up seeing the better version in the future?
If it is good I will play it multiple times and if it is bad I will not buy future DLCs anyways.

Drowed

Arcane
If it is good I will play it multiple times and if it is bad I will not buy future DLCs anyways.

The thing is, (most) RPGs are a huge investment of time. I don't really disagree with what you said - but even the RPGs that I liked the most in life I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I played until the end. For me, 20+ hours is a huge investment of time. Not to mention that RPGs are games where you have the best experience when you play it in one go, because then you have fresh information in mind. Maybe it's my age, but if I spend a week or two without playing a game, I no longer remember what I was doing when I play it again. I end up going through a few moments of "but who the fuck is this NPC", "what the hell am I doing here", "where am I in the plot right now"?

It's not like playing Super Meat Boy, for example. There are games I can just sit and play lightly without thinking much about it - as in my case, currently, I play a lot of Sonic Mania. I sit down, choose the level I want and make a quick 4-6 minute session and I'm satisfied. With RPGs, I cannot really do that. Not that this is a fault of the genre or anything, but they are different experiences.

Probably, as much as I enjoy the game, it should take me years to play it again. I think it took me 3 or 4 years to play Fallout 2 a second time. (Not counting MODs, but I don't think they count.) So when I'm going to invest time in a game, I want this time to count. And it's not like I'm in a hurry and lack of options to play something today. I simply don't see any advantage in playing the incomplete version of the game. If it's good, and I'm going to end up playing twice (or more), great! But why not then play the full/complete version twice then?

---

EDIT: and that's not mentioning the fact that in about 6 months to 1 year, the game should have already received several patchs/fixes and maybe even some MODs that would improve the overall experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom