Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #7: Camping System Stretch Goal

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sounds like they are gonna copy the excellent rest system of Expeditions: Viking.

I'd rather they copied Ultima 5/6's camping system.
Seems they might copy Pathfinder P&P. Now the guy is saying this:
I've just answered some questions in the update 7 post, which I'll also repeat here in the comments section, so you won't miss em:

There will probably be some spells and magical items, that ease/enhance camping, though they could differ in name and exact mechanics from ones mentioned, as they should be tailored to the way camping is presented in the game.
And yes, of course the game will remember our preferred camp settings (e.g. Bob goes out to hunt, Sir Whatshisface takes the first watch and so on and so forth).
We are still working on class-related features for camping (familiars, guarding spirits etc.)
Usually parties like to camp for so much time that every character gains the required amount of sleep, but if you decide that you want to camp for less time or you decide that your only character with perception will stand watch for the whole time - that character will be fatigued.

It seems it will be more complicate than max Perception for the character that is always on guard duty.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The camping thing sounds like an interesting mechanic, but it'll probably be patched away or nerfed asap when people start complaining about too much micromanagement and distraction.

This campaign isn't going to get a penny from me, but I hope they do well. There aren't too many RPG's around so yeah, hope they do well, but there's too much repeptition for me. This too will be a more or less generic copy/paste high fantasy romp that's been already seen so many times before (even recently). So, no. I can't get myself interested on any level.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
At fucking last someone has his heart in the right place, knows what his core audience wants and lives thinking how to improve things THAT do matter not to him but to his audience. To an untrained eye it may seem like luck. But it actually takes careful planning, thinking about the players, thinking about the product and genuine passion about the product. Something I thought was lost long ago.

And this wild, unrestrained optimism stems from where? Did we miss something?

Well I sort of explained from where it stems. It's a smaller scale project. However, what they are doing shows that they are thinking how to improve their product not by dumbing down or creating some useless mechanics that makes the game less playable. Think of it as challenge>accessibility. It's an interesting mechanic and I know you guys will get more excited about useless stronghold or a companion who has three lines of text and one of them is "I want to be a dragon", but to those who value substance I think this is great.

That's ironic considering kingdom management is one of those mechanics a la stronghold you mentioned. And judging by the companions writing is terri-terrible. So far there is nothing which suggests extensive dialogue branching either.

Edited to add: I'm sure it will be better than PoE, Tranny or Numanuma, however. Just because it's using a proven ruleset and not that autistic garbage.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
At fucking last someone has his heart in the right place, knows what his core audience wants and lives thinking how to improve things THAT do matter not to him but to his audience. To an untrained eye it may seem like luck. But it actually takes careful planning, thinking about the players, thinking about the product and genuine passion about the product. Something I thought was lost long ago.

And this wild, unrestrained optimism stems from where? Did we miss something?

Well I sort of explained from where it stems. It's a smaller scale project. However, what they are doing shows that they are thinking how to improve their product not by dumbing down or creating some useless mechanics that makes the game less playable. Think of it as challenge>accessibility. It's an interesting mechanic and I know you guys will get more excited about useless stronghold or a companion who has three lines of text and one of them is "I want to be a dragon", but to those who value substance I think this is great.

That's ironic considering kingdom management is one of those mechanics a la stronghold you mentioned. And judging by the companions writing is terri-terrible. So far there is nothing which suggests extensive dialogue branching either.

Edited to add: I'm sure it will be better than PoE, Tranny or Numanuma, however. Just because it's using a proven ruleset and not that autistic garbage.

Stronghold is basically a Skyrym: Hearthfire. It is a product whose level could be best descrbed as a dollhouse. Both larpers and girls < 7 years of age love it #edit: and idiots I forgot idiots.

The problem with rulesets developed by other companies is not they are autistic, it's because core audience feedback was ignored and brutally discarded at every step. No conversations were made and no concesions were made thinking about the audience. What makes me mad is that they could have been made significantly better just by fucking listening to paying customers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom