Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker now on Kickstarter

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So dudes with a good track record are making BG-like with Avellone on board and codex is... butthurt?

:happytrollboy:

There's no solution for that. To the extent the Codex isn't nostalgic, it is picky. And to the extent it isn't picky, it is nostalgic.

sstacks

Arcane
They may need the money for expanded gameplay, but note that the game will be made either way. A lot of this is for PR, which bugs me when KS is used that way... it crowds out projects that can't get made without KS.
D:OS 2 and Banner Saga 3 used Kickstarter for PR reasons too. Since Kickstarter allows it, I do not see a reason why people would not use the platform this way.

It's not whether it's "allowed" or not, I'm saying that it crowds out / takes limited KS dollars from projects that vitally need it. Companies are going to do it and I understand why, I just don't love it.

sstacks

Arcane
*rewrites headline as "To the shock of no one, Pathmaker Kingfinder is on Kickstarter"

They may need the money for expanded gameplay, but note that the game will be made either way. A lot of this is for PR, which bugs me when KS is used that way... it crowds out projects that can't get made without KS.
I wonder if you said that during D:OS2 KS or Shadowrun:HK KS or Battletech KS...

I did not, but I wasn't really thinking about it then. I hear more and more conversations of KS as PR these days so it's more on my mind.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
D:OS 2 and Banner Saga 3 used Kickstarter for PR reasons too. Since Kickstarter allows it, I do not see a reason why people would not use the platform this way.

It's not whether it's "allowed" or not, I'm saying that it crowds out / takes limited KS dollars from projects that vitally need it. Companies are going to do it and I understand why, I just don't love it.

I understand the sensibility, but I'm afraid that is mostly a myth. Nobody would have taken notice of 70% of projects if they wasn't an t AA "roar of the coliseum" there to increase the pool of potential crowdfunders.

sstacks

Arcane

I understand the sensibility, but I'm afraid that is mostly a myth. Nobody would have taken notice of 70% of projects if they wasn't an t AA "roar of the coliseum" there to increase the pool of potential crowdfunders.

It's not a myth by any means. I have talked personally with several companies of various sizes that either use KS purely for PR when they could fund a project themselves or they plan to do so.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
So dudes with a good track record are making BG-like with Avellone on board and codex is... butthurt?

:happytrollboy:
Perhaps the Codex is turning back into its former prestigious and more naive self, and will finally start the reconquista against BGtards and RTwP invaders. If the US got enough balls to vote for Trump, the Codex can do this.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It's not a myth by any means. I have talked personally with several companies of various sizes that either use KS purely for PR when they could fund a project themselves or they plan to do so.
You misunderstood what Morality Games was talking about. He mean it is a myth that companies that only use KS for PR take away $ from smaller projects. They do take some but also promote KS to new people that:
#1 Can find other games to fund
#2 Now have an KS account and experience how it works so they have not been forced to learn this through a smaller game from a unknown studio (which for many is reason enough to not bother)

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah shit! For only $140, you can get a poster by the legendary Wayne Reynolds!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You misunderstood what Morality Games was talking about. He mean it is a myth that companies that only use KS for PR take away $ from smaller projects. They do take some but also promote KS to new people that:
#2 Now have an KS account and experience how it works so they have not been forced to learn this through a smaller game from a unknown studio (which for many is reason enough to not bother)
Yeah, I agree. KS money is not a fixed pool, and people backing one project does not mean less $$ for another project.
I first went to Kickstarter to back projects I was interested in, but knew about them from somewhere else. That allowed me to discover more stuff on the platform itself, of which I would never hear otherwise.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
It is probably a fixed pool for THAT MONTH. But seriously, how long does it take people to regenerate money (or not even money just willingness to waste a little).

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Btw, do we have any kickstarted adventure or rpg so far that didn't end up as a either a massive disappointment or vaporware?

Apparently Thimbleweed Park is alright, I also liked Serpent In The Staglands, but opinion's divided on that one. Dragonfall may technically count since it was partly funded from the Shadowrun Returns crowd funding.

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
Btw, do we have any kickstarted adventure or rpg so far that didn't end up as a either a massive disappointment or vaporware?

Apparently Thimbleweed Park is alright, I also liked Serpent In The Staglands, but opinion's divided on that one. Dragonfall may technically count since it was partly funded from the Shadowrun Returns crowd funding.

Wasteland 2 is also good, but the Codex will never agree with that since they'll always take a polished snooze-fest like PoE over a fun, but flawed game like W2.

sstacks

Arcane

I don't know about other folks, but I have a budget and have to be selective on what $ I can spend on games.

If there are 3 interesting games on Kickstarter, I might be in a position where I could pledge to one (hypothetically).

If 2 of those games could in actuality be made without Kicksterter but they are on there mainly for PR, and the third is a genuinely Indy project that can't happen otherwise...

Again, there's no rule that says how KS has to be used. I just like it when it's used in a way to bring something to market that otherwise wouldn't.

Gerulas

Novice
As someone already noted - didn't took IRON WILL when I had the chance.

So count me in.

Always count me in.

P.S. Thank you.

sstacks

Arcane
I don't like being a hater but the world really does not need any more RTwP D&D-based tripe.

Just go play BGs, NWNs, PoE etc if you want that.

Agreed... Would LOVE a turn based D&D game. Pathfinder is a D&D fork so I am disappointed this game is RTwP.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Calling PoE a snoozefest while applauding Wasteland 2

Wasteland 2 had a proper party and was turn-based. That alone puts it miles above all pathetic Infinity Engine wannabes combined.
Also it had a boring slow combat full of bad maps and uninspired enemies. RTwP combat that would make the whole torture go faster could have only been an improvement.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Most of the smaller projects are complete garbage. They lack the basic quality, are one dimensional and never grow into something big, because I believe the people involved lack management and other vital skills. Supporting them is them literally throwing money away, which is a good substitute for charity.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, because all the big projects so far have been utter successes due to their professional project, time and resource management, not to speak of being the only ones to truly deliver modern classics, yes, we have been truly blessed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom