Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Stage 2 Alpha Test Released

Deleted Member 16721

I think games like this would benefit from rolls of other skills before combat as well. Tracking, Nature Lore, Animal Lore, Awareness, Detect Evil, etc.. There's got to be some way to be able to go into combat and at least expect a certain type of encounter beforehand, at least for the harder/hardest encounters that require tactics.

Fighting wolves, not so serious. Fighting vampires with certain resistances and needing more specific tactics, some sort of roll when near the encounter would be lovely. Maybe your Cleric detects evil in the area, or your Druid can smell the stench of vampires in the air. Something to give you a slight heads up as to what you'll be facing so you can somewhat prepare? Otherwise it's the classic case of, "Enter combat. Die. Learn what to do next time. Repeat until success."

I think that can be improved. There's gotta be a way!

Edit - Keeping a certain "utility" selection of spells is always important, as well as being rewarded for preparation via carrying useful scrolls and potions. I remember playing Swordflight for NWN and it had a lot of Tracking checks at least. You could get an idea of what type of enemies were in the area, but yeah. More improvements in this area would be cool while still not handholding and making things too easy so you can be 100% perfectly prepared for every encounter.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom