Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Online Announced

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Goblinworks announces they have acquired a license to develop an MMOG based on Pathfinder, and RPG intellectual property owned by Paizo Publishing. Here's a bit on the pedigree of the new developer: "Founded by Paizo co-owner Lisa Stevens (Pathfinder RPG, Vampire: The Masquerade, Magic: The Gathering), game industry veteran Ryan S. Dancey (Dungeons & Dragons Third Edition, EVE Online), and experienced MMO developer Mark Kalmes (Microsoft, Cryptic Studios, CCP), Goblinworks is an independent company that will work with Paizo Publishing to bring the award-winning world and adventures of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game to the online gaming market." And here's a bit on their game plans:
Pathfinder Online is a hybrid sandbox/theme park-style MMO roleplaying game where characters explore, develop, and dominate the River Kingdoms, a treacherous no-man's-land of squabbling kingdoms on the edge of wilderness. Players explore, adventure, develop, and dominate their domains by playing fighters, rogues, wizards, or any of Pathfinder's many character types, or they can use the game's archetype system go beyond the standard options to create nearly any sort of character imaginable.

Pathfinder Online's robust trading system puts players in control of the world's economy with player-created items, consumables, fortifications, and settlements. Character-controlled settlements can grow into full-fledged kingdoms that compete for resources as they seek to become the dominant force in the land, raising vast armies to hold their territory against the depredations of monstrous creatures, NPC factions, and other player characters.

Ripped from Blue's News.
Hmmm that does sound interesting.

Renegen

Arcane
Sounds awesome. Wake me up in 4 years, and only if it won't end up as a browser or Facebook game. If it does, just pull the plug.

Mortmal

Arcane
Pathfinder Online's robust trading system puts players in control of the world's economy with player-created items, consumables, fortifications, and settlements. Character-controlled settlements can grow into full-fledged kingdoms that compete for resources as they seek to become the dominant force in the land, raising vast armies to hold their territory against the depredations of monstrous creatures, NPC factions, and other player characters.

Whenever i read player built settlements, kingdoms, fortifications, player dominated economy it means vaporware or a poorly executed game like shadowbane, or darkfall or mortal online, all of them miserably failed or were not even released , some were even scams.Dont fall for it kids, trust me.Just reading sandbox is enough , theres only eve online succeeding except UO, and its frankly not satisfying to me anymore.
A new team on such an ambitious project, no way, it will end up a wow theme park clone or never be released.

hydd

Mortmal said:

Whenever i read player built settlements, kingdoms, fortifications, player dominated economy it means vaporware or a poorly executed game like shadowbane, or darkfall or mortal online, all of them miserably failed or were not even released , some were even scams.Dont fall for it kids, trust me.Just reading sandbox is enough , theres only eve online succeeding except UO, and its frankly not satisfying to me anymore.
A new team on such an ambitious project, no way, it will end up a wow theme park clone or never be released.

I really hate to agree, but I'd be fooling myself if I didn't. Nearly every new IP I see reporting such claims end up, as Mortmal stated, vaporware or stripped of all previously stated goodies (See Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Heroes of Telara/Rift, Dark & Light).

Although, I suppose wishful thinking can't do any substantial harm :)

Renegen

Arcane
This was a very well done Kickstarter for what is just the techdemo. I'm excited.

Shannow

Waster of Time
A kickstarter for a tech demo? What? Reward is watching a video of the demo, not playing it?
Yeah. While the game they've got planned sounds interesting, I feel absolutely incentive to pay for a Tech Demo. At 50000$ they should have enough money to pay for it out of their own pockets.

But it was funded within a day anyway... Hell, they even say that they don't want too much money. I'm interested how this will turn out.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Uhm, sorry, for me 50K is about 6 times the money I've ever had at a single time (but it looks like this will change in the near future *g*). For you it's also a lot of money. But for several industry veterans with strong connections to Paizo, publisher of the most successful current PnP RPG, it's peanuts. Fargo was willing to pump 100K of his own money into W2. But Paizo/Goblinworks all together are unwilling to invest even 50k?
Simply looking at the success of Pathfinder, Shadowrun Returns, the anticipation of GW2 and the "failure" of the recent WoW clones is a far more convincing argument towards the demand for a Pathfunder MMO with an actually dynamic player driven world than one to three thousand backers of a Tech Demo...

The whole concept of "give me money so publishers see that there are people willing to give money so publishers give me more money" is plain retarded.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The whole concept of "give me money so publishers see that there are people willing to give money so publishers give me more money" is plain retarded.
Pretty much... Well it's not exactly retarded, but I feel it's an unworthy use of Kickstarter, especially if it leads others to do the same. Kickstarter should not prove to outside investors or publishers anything; Kickstarter should be crowdfunding projects by individuals and no more. Hell, if they were simply making a tech demo for a subsequent Kickstarter, I might even be okay with it.

Course the fault is also on the backers for even supporting this. And paying money to WATCH a tech demo. Ugh, fanboys.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure it's more a "raise the awareness" and gauge interest thing then anything else. It's a good way to show investors that there is indeed a demand for a non theme park mmo. So it's a lot of free publicity and the hardcore paizo/pathfinder crowd can get their name in the game credits for only 5$. It's a smart move imo.

Morkar Left

Paying for a techdemo? No, never! Sounds like milking the masses only EA could come up with.
But after a second look the reward tiers equalize it to some degree. Practically you get a 64 pages sourcebook for 15$ or the printversion for 50$. That's still way too much. I got the 4th edition Shadowrun rules as a ebook for 15$ (something around 380 pages).

Pathfinder is superior to D&D in every way but this is something I can't approve.

Btw. is that true?:

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game is now the world’s best-selling tabletop RPG
It would deserve it but is there some evidence?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
They don't. WoW sells buckets. Guild Wars sells buckets. Making Pathfinder MMO is a retarded idea. Why not make a spiritual succesor to NWN? NWN2 had bugs up the ass and a shitty toolset. Why not make a better one and even add those settlement/kingdom stuff? Shit. Who the fuck thought of this? I want to strangle him.

Yes, I know that was sarcasm.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
They don't. WoW sells buckets. Guild Wars sells buckets. Making Pathfinder MMO is a retarded idea. Why not make a spiritual succesor to NWN? NWN2 had bugs up the ass and a shitty toolset. Why not make a better one and even add those settlement/kingdom stuff? Shit. Who the fuck thought of this? I want to strangle him.

Yes, I know that was sarcasm.
And to make matters worse for PF, it's in the fantasy MMO market, which is immensily oversaturated and where you *will* end up being sodomized by WoW eventually due to said oversaturation. If you enter the MMO market, you need to have a niche market you can utilize, because the main market is WoW/GW duo's bitch. Hell, I'd kill just for a NWN2 override that added Pathfinder mechanical updates like new attack bonus progression, class HD, class abilities and racial traits.

PS: NWN2's toolset wasn't technically shitty, it could do more than its predecessor. It was simply overtly complicated and lacked positive streamlining.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They don't.

really.gif

Renegen

Arcane
If you read the bottom of their kickstarter it shows that they are looking for investors to finance the very start of their venture. They either don't have the money or don't want to spend the money (aka. spend other people's money to get rich, jew gonna jew). Online games and MMOs are popular and they're looking to string along a few naive investors looking for the next Zynga. I'd say this is a longshot and will take years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom