Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Online Announced

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
(..)
This is all Goblin Works - How Paizo ever gave or sold these jokers the rights to use the Pathfinder IP is beyond me. I play tabletop pathfinder and love the ideas of this game on paper, I AM their target audience and I wouldnt play if you paid me.

even if the game is good (this isnt) I would be a bit leery about a box price, sub AND cash shop in an "early access"game or whatever- However, this game looks, plays and just IS shit and they still want the box price, sub and cash shop.

Population is around 3 people and even those 3 admit the game isnt worth it but they play and pay because of the "potential"- The CEO blamed the players for the lack of population (They should be recruiting more and bringing in friends)and sent them to go recruit other players on a list of sites he gave out including mmorpg.com. Hilarity ensued.
(....)
1. I agree they might be butchering the Pathfinder IP, but hat wouldn't be new.
Who else has butchered the pathfinder IP? Only Goblin Works that I'm aware of.

2. Are you sure you're their target audience?
Positive... They essentially were trying to make a fantasy based Eve Online ,Open World Sandbox with a form of TC, guild wars and real risk -using an IP I love. I am certainly their target audience. Was stoked for this game.

3. You don't need to pay for a box price. You can get 15 days free. Monthly payment is ~$15. Not sure about cash shop.
They must have JUST changed this if what you say is true.Its a step in the right direction but wont save them. Game is shit.Too little , Too Late.
4. I bet more than 3 people play--do I sense hostility?
No, you sense sarcasm. 5 people actually play.

So what's your beef? Did you play and you hated it? Did a patch kil it for you? Just based on what I see on the outside without playing it, t looks fun. A blend of PvE/PvP/Sandbox is nice. Attractive.

What you see on the Outside WITHOUT PLAYING IT... WITHOUT PLAYING IT...WITHOUT PLAYING IT.

Please, give us a long opinion on a game you have not played yet that has a free trial.Your opinion on a game you have not played is very important to us.

Tell me (someone who HAS played it) how I am wrong.
The only issues I have with the game are its early phase in development and its cartoony look. And why would I spend MORE $$$ to play Pathfinder when I can stay with the older more reliable Wurm Online where I have a developed character? I only need to spend ~$19 for two months of gametime. And I have 1-month of gametime FREE if I do some work and sell things. And moreso, I can play Wurm Online in Linux which I am doing at the current time. For some players this'll matter.

Given Wurm Online doesn't have many of the features found in popular MMO's, like in-game radar and quest-driven progress and fast travel and instances, and throws you into the world with little direction and imposes heavy consequences when dying, I doubt Pathfinder would cause me trouble. WO also ONLY has first person and its in-game map has no GPS. I started Wurm Online in 2012 and its graphics were very old looking, so bad graphics don't bother me. This is why I think Pathfinder ONlie MIGHT be fun to me, since most players expectations are very different from mine. If a review says a game is bad, chances are it's good.

And based on what I'm reading, Pahtfinder is EASIER than Wurm Online in these respects. In fact, based on videos I'veseen, it actually reminds me of EQ2 or WoW. It looks almost nothing like Wurm ONline. I may try to play this game sometime to see the turth. I seriously doubt I'll get the truht here or elsewhere without playing it, since even Wurm Online was never popular.

Tell us more...

:hmmm:

If anyone has played Wurm Online and played Pathfinder Online, I'd love a comparison between them. For people who aven't played Wurm Online, it's very crafting focused and very grindy. Yet its sandbox is immense. It's skill-based. It has very little hand holding, mostly the result of its lack of development resources and its audience--the audience is forgiving. And a lot of us, including msyelf, LIKE the lack of hand holding. It greatly increases the feeling of consequences. You must stay alert, esp on the pvp servers. You realy do lose things in this game. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when and how often.
Why would you love a comparison?You obviously have formed an opinion without even playing PFO and experiencing its suckiness yourself. Ive played both and if you look on the recent Wurm thread I comment on how fun of a game it was (havnt played in awhile) but both have at least free trials and/or buddy keys. experience the shit that is PFO and come back and discuss...Please...

Sorry for being agressive. I hate to be his way, but damn it, I have to stand up for what I believe and what I play, otherwise who's going to know people like me areout there? Soembdy has to speak. So I speak: We're out there.

If you havnt even played PFO, how are you "standing up for something you play and believe in?" Go play PFO-Have fun.make sure to comeback and discuss your experience. Stand up for a game that isnt shit or a shit game you actually play and enjoy.Not a shit game you havent even bothered trying.

Go grab a buddy key,dude.You will know within a few hours what a shit game this is- Try to use all 15 days of the trial and stay sane. You wonder where my insanity comes from-15 day trial of this fucking shit game.
:patriot:

Last edited:
If you havnt even played PFO, how are you "standing up for something you play and believe in?" Go play PFO-Have fun.make sure to comeback and discuss your experience. Stand up for a game that isnt shit or a shit game you actually play and enjoy.Not a shit game you havent even bothered trying.

Go grab a buddy key,dude.You will know within a few hours what a shit game this is- Try to use all 15 days of the trial and stay sane. You wonder where my insanity comes from-15 day trial of this fucking shit game.
:patriot:
Here was your post about wurm online:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-the-ultimate-sandbox-mmo.83506/#post-3848095

I don't know what to think. I still haven't played PFO. Probably never will. It's just common for me to see people hate on sandbox MMO's--especially ffa pvp rulesets--for no real reason other than they must deeply hate them and yet they still try to play them anyway. It's like they want to play something they hate and never wise up.

Also for every player such as myself who has liked Wurm Online, there're a million others who hate it. It seems a lot of people don't like sandbox MMO's either. Too much freedom or too much abuse or something. So anytime I see a sandbox MMO I assume it's an underdog and everybody is out to kill it or otherwise condemn it for indignities against humanity.

Sorry if I lumped you with all the haters. And well even if you're actually a hater, peace.

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Here was your post about wurm online:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-the-ultimate-sandbox-mmo.83506/#post-3848095

I don't know what to think. I still haven't played PFO. Probably never will. It's just common for me to see people hate on sandbox MMO's--especially ffa pvp rulesets--for no real reason other than they must deeply hate them and yet they still try to play them anyway. It's like they want to play something they hate and never wise up.

Also for every player such as myself who has liked Wurm Online, there're a million others who hate it. It seems a lot of people don't like sandbox MMO's either. Too much freedom or too much abuse or something. So anytime I see a sandbox MMO I assume it's an underdog and everybody is out to kill it or otherwise condemn it for indignities against humanity.

Sorry if I lumped you with all the haters. And well even if you're actually a hater, peace.
Nah- I'm a hater dude, but not against sandbox games =P

Pathfinder was shit- Ryan dancey was shit.,

Had nothing to do with the game being a sandbox- It was just shit that had a terrible cash shop , required a sub and was totally unfinished and ...Shit.

J1M

Arcane
Ryan Dancey is the reason the OGL exists. He could screw up everything else he ever touches and still be a hero.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom