Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathologic aka More Utopia Thread

Catfish

Learned
Hey, KODEX, browsed here for a while and barely saw any Pathologic threads. I know it is not strictly an RPG, but there are far too many Pathologic avatars on this website in contrast with a general discussion on this fukken awesome game. So here goes.

To those who don't know - Pathologic, or "Mor. Utopia" as it is known to russian users is an "Epidemic survival simulator" by the semi-indie russian darling studio "Ice-Pick Lodge", also mildly known for the inkblot insanity of "The Void" (Turgor for mah russky friends), the chilling fear of "Knock-Knock" ("Tuk-tuk" for the same) and underwhelming "Cargo! - Quest for Gravity" (seriously, people, wtf?)

In any case, Pathologic is an awesome, extremely depressing first person walker-talker in a town in the middle of nowhere. The player finds himself in the shoes of one of two (three, eventually) heroes trying to stop a devastating plague. That is about it.

This game is an experience unlike anything I have ever experienced, I only play it if I have two free weeks - one to play and one to drink myself to the point I forget I played it. Incidentally, since I'm russian and know my way around the place, I am more than willing to hang around and help my english-playing codex comrades by way of explaining any problems in the english version, which I heard is notoriously crap.

PS: Pathologic is currently being given the kickstater remake treatment. Google it and stuff (too drunk to find a link - i am russian, after all).

PPS: if you guys stubling on this thread need any russian game explaining - feel free.

Catfish

Learned
He-he, brings out the russians... btw how was the english version? All I heard was "awful" and "kill me"

Reapa

Doom Preacher
what kind of idiot moves pathologic threads to general gaming?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
He-he, brings out the russians... btw how was the english version? All I heard was "awful" and "kill me"

It is terrible and non-sensical. You can tell it's a literal translation and there's at least one plot hole created because of it.

That being said, it does create an unusual atmosphere. Characters seem evasive and mysterious even when they're not supposed to be thanks to the long-winded and bizarre dialogue that they have, even when just giving directions.

Catfish

Learned

It is terrible and non-sensical. You can tell it's a literal translation and there's at least one plot hole created because of it.

That being said, it does create an unusual atmosphere. Characters seem evasive and mysterious even when they're not supposed to be thanks to the long-winded and bizarre dialogue that they have, even when just giving directions.

That is a real shame, then. The game is pretty amazing mostly due to the dialogues - there much nuance and genuine depth there, I'd even go as far as say planescape torment levels of quality, at least some parts.

That being said, it is still really cryptic in a kafkian sort of way, so "bizzare" isn't entirely out of place

Alfons

Prophet
Another game I'll definitely buy and probably never finish. I played their tits game whatever it's called and thought the setting was interesting, but it just wasn't worth it in my opinion. They went way overboard with the walking crawling speed.

More importantly, that was probably the most hardcore game I ever played. You could mess up at a certain point and not realize it for a few hours. After you realize it you have to roll back the last hour or two which you probably spent grinding. After you do that you realize that it wasn't far enough so you have to roll back another hour, losing another two hours of game time since you replayed the segment for an hour before realizing you messed up again. I mean that game did not give a shit.

Actually that's false. I did finish the game. I died a couple of times and that gives you a cinematic. Short game, it can be beat in seconds.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Newfag fishing for brofists.

In other news everybody should play The Void

Catfish

Learned
Newfag fishing for brofists.

Gee, i figured a game forum is there to discuss games. Guess I figured wrong :)

+1 on everybody should play the void though.

A horse of course

PPS: if you guys stubling on this thread need any russian game explaining - feel free.

Why don't you actually pay for the games you play, you thieving, vodka-swilling thugs?

Alfons

Prophet
+1 on everybody should play the void though.

Unless you don't like crawling through the world.
Unless you don't like getting into situations which can only be unfucked by Rolling the game back.
Unless the female form makes you uncomfortable:smug:

I would definitely say everyone should give it a shot, especially now that it's probably around 5 or 10 bucks. If you are a
thieving, vodka-swilling thug
you obviously should try it since the price is a non-issue for you.

Alfons

Prophet
Idk, I remember enjoying the visual style of the world so much this didn't really bother me.
I can only look at the scenery so much before I want the fucker to hustle up and move his ass. I heard the slow movement speed criticism raised in regard to pathologic too. It has some to do with IPL game design. It looks like they want to force you to appreciate their artistry, which is a no-no.

Catfish

Learned
Idk, I remember enjoying the visual style of the world so much this didn't really bother me.
I can only look at the scenery so much before I want the fucker to hustle up and move his ass. I heard the slow movement speed criticism raised in regard to pathologic too. It has some to do with IPL game design. It looks like they want to force you to appreciate their artistry, which is a no-no.

I think I saw a movement speed mod in one of the RU communities for the game, but can't remember exactly where. I'll post a link if I happen to find it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom