Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Payday 2 - acquired by Starbreeze, microtransactions removed!

Dr Tomo

Learned
Just playing the beta atm.

it owns

Can you list the reasons why it's better than the first?

-More randomization in missions, in fact the whole layout of a bank is randomized everytime you play
-More weapon variety which leads me to my next point
-Good selection of upgrades and equipment to choose from, you can essentially pimp your gun out
-Can stealth through the heist missions and complete it without any bloodshed if you're good enough. It's more Thief than the new Thief!
-Bag pickups/drops add a new dynamic to the game
-You now have a safehouse that's not good for much at the moment
-Usually multiple ways of getting past doors/locks including lockpicking, C4, saw and of course the drill
-Missions can extend through multiple levels (up to 7), with a bigger pay off the longer it is.

Aww tits guess I will do the counter on why I am picking this up on a 75% sale at best 50% in my opinion.

• enemy a.i is still retarded from the first one hell one sat there looking in one direction with me sitting right next to it. Some don't even fire at you and stand behind vehicles and for a second thought we were playing very very easy when it was a normal mission.
  • Starting weapons are pardon shit, seems like all the enemies soaks up more bullets unlike the first one.
  • Annoying blur effect when aiming down sights which is horrid when trying to take out snipers. Sometimes I had to re-aim because the blur doesn't reorient itself at the new target I am aiming at (also think aiming is crap but need to play more then an hour to know for sure)
  • Some team mates some how still triggered the alarm when using silencers and so I am skeptical on the whole you can do this mission in Stealth mode. While casing trying to knock a guard out and me and a team mate got arrested lolz.
  • They still kept that annoying as fuck (pardon) loading while in the middle of the mission instead of doing the L4D drop in
  • Civilian A.I is still retarded and I see very little difference from the first one tell them to stay down and they eventually get up anyway when you are firing at police in next room
  • God, allah, Buddha, or Satan help you if you go with friendly a.i as they are pretty much lobotomized meat bags. Before a player dropped in on our heist the A.I saw a butterfly and followed it to the front entrance of bank while the rest of us wen through the back alley. If the player didn't drop in the 2-3 guards at the front entrance would have taken him down.
  • Now you have crafting and this is my personal preference as I think the resources devoted to this could have been placed elsewhere
So this is my 1 hour play through so far of the game and the most glaring, but I still think it is worth picking up when it goes on sale and for 75% as I don't see much that hooked me in. I still think the rpg elements are meh in my opinion and I am still trying to figure out if I am going to get my assets back as the last mission I kind of failed some how. Was unaware that they confiscated that stuff when you failed which I don't even know if they were valuable as nobody used the blue prints as we just jumped in.

Edit* Played another hour and it is obvious that they just ported the A.I wholesale into the second game and hoped no one would notice. This possibly includes the Civilian A.I as well with some minor changes. Guess the rpg gimmick would make people over look that they really didn't improve much from the first game.

*Engrish might be bad so deal with it

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
  • They still kept that annoying as fuck (pardon) loading while in the middle of the mission instead of doing the L4D drop in
That sucks. I'd have thought this would be the first thing they'd fix for PD2, as it always seemed like just a quick and dirty fix in PD1 as a place holder until something better came along (they didn't add it until months after release once they realized the playerbase had dropped off consistently). They really do need to streamline this, though, as I think the fact that dropping in and out are so cumbersome is one of the reasons why this game has never consistently had "L4D2" or even "Killing Floor" numbers of players. It's never been "dead," per se, but unless it's right after a sale, it can take a while to find games.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Played a bit. Don't like the new lobby system, too hard to find a map with the difficulity you want.

Dr Tomo

Learned
That sucks. I'd have thought this would be the first thing they'd fix for PD2, as it always seemed like just a quick and dirty fix in PD1 as a place holder until something better came along (they didn't add it until months after release once they realized the playerbase had dropped off consistently). They really do need to streamline this, though, as I think the fact that dropping in and out are so cumbersome is one of the reasons why this game has never consistently had "L4D2" or even "Killing Floor" numbers of players. It's never been "dead," per se, but unless it's right after a sale, it can take a while to find games.

Well even better as the game will drop the new player in the location of the map with a single player. So you have some guy trying to stealth his way in past the guards expect that player to land right next to him triggering the alarm. Beautiful on the incompetence.

Also played till got max level (30) and noticed some more things like enemies that rubber band randomly and some cases are not there even at the position you are shooting your weapon. They disappear and then the enemy would run into the same location almost like a ghosting effect unsure how to describe it as it usually happens on fps multiplayer like Socom multiplayer where players d/c their modem to create that effect, never experienced it until playing this game.

Also expect the A.I to swarm you that would put KF to shame. Sat at the lobby of the bank gunning down at least a half dozen that walked in a single file through the main entrance. Also this game is primed for dlc milking as I spoke with some other players and there is a consensus that you can expect to see a lot of Wolfpack like dlc so that you can increase your level get some nice shiny weapons, etc.

I feel super grateful that I didn't pre-order this game as the only improved in graphics/sound department and added a rpg gimmick. I would say that they did well on the maps, but that is dicked up from porting the A.I whole sale in PD 1. I am going to wait for a 75% sale as I expect by then they will pump out dlc's like Infinite and I can pick them up cheaply as well.

Renegen

Arcane
The beta so far has been really cool. The new skill systems and item drop systems are brilliant, but the map themselves are only a slight upgrade. The maps all have some degree of dynamism in them, I even got a random encounter between 2 missions that involved the police catching us, and in extreme cases you can do a mission totally different. The group I was with kept trying to do the bank heist mission silently, it's possible just super hard.

On the other hand, none of the missions are as iconic as the original. There's nothing like the First World Bank mission, instead it's some shitty suburban branch. Diamond Heist reminded you of James Bond, Conterfeit felt like some Hollywood movie. So far in the beta, every mission is totally bland. I feel the multi-day missions will be the best in Payday 2, but no one will play them. Already I was part of groups that just grinded everything, 3 minute runs for 4k exp, 2 minute runs for loot drops, 15 min runs for 125k cash.

bert

Arcane
  • enemy a.i is still retarded from the first one hell one sat there looking in one direction with me sitting right next to it. Some don't even fire at you and stand behind vehicles and for a second thought we were playing very very easy when it was a normal mission.
  • Starting weapons are pardon shit, seems like all the enemies soaks up more bullets unlike the first one.
  • Annoying blur effect when aiming down sights which is horrid when trying to take out snipers. Sometimes I had to re-aim because the blur doesn't reorient itself at the new target I am aiming at (also think aiming is crap but need to play more then an hour to know for sure)
  • Some team mates some how still triggered the alarm when using silencers and so I am skeptical on the whole you can do this mission in Stealth mode. While casing trying to knock a guard out and me and a team mate got arrested lolz.
  • Civilian A.I is still retarded and I see very little difference from the first one tell them to stay down and they eventually get up anyway when you are firing at police in next room
  • God, allah, Buddha, or Satan help you if you go with friendly a.i as they are pretty much lobotomized meat bags. Before a player dropped in on our heist the A.I saw a butterfly and followed it to the front entrance of bank while the rest of us wen through the back alley. If the player didn't drop in the 2-3 guards at the front entrance would have taken him down.
  • Now you have crafting and this is my personal preference as I think the resources devoted to this could have been placed elsewhere
So this is my 1 hour play through so far of the game and the most glaring, but I still think it is worth picking up when it goes on sale and for 75% as I don't see much that hooked me in. I still think the rpg elements are meh in my opinion and I am still trying to figure out if I am going to get my assets back as the last mission I kind of failed some how. Was unaware that they confiscated that stuff when you failed which I don't even know if they were valuable as nobody used the blue prints as we just jumped in.

Edit* Played another hour and it is obvious that they just ported the A.I wholesale into the second game and hoped no one would notice. This possibly includes the Civilian A.I as well with some minor changes. Guess the rpg gimmick would make people over look that they really didn't improve much from the first game.

*Engrish might be bad so deal with it

• AMCAR is mostly shit, get the AK rifle which is vastly superior
  • Turn off DEpth of Field
  • It's a rare occurence that the suppressed weapon alerts a lot of people. Also, don't fuckingp ut on the mask when you're right next to the guard if you don't want to get arrested.
  • They get back up because of the cops nearby. Which is why you have to keep a close eye on crowd control or you know, just tie up the civvies?
  • The AI stays at the front entrance in case you guys do a stealth run.
  • Play some more faggot
On the other hand, none of the missions are as iconic as the original. There's nothing like the First World Bank mission, instead it's some shitty suburban branch. Diamond Heist reminded you of James Bond, Conterfeit felt like some Hollywood movie. So far in the beta, every mission is totally bland. I feel the multi-day missions will be the best in Payday 2, but no one will play them. Already I was part of groups that just grinded everything, 3 minute runs for 4k exp, 2 minute runs for loot drops, 15 min runs for 125k cash.

It's the beta. They're not going to put down their best levels in so you burn yourselves out on it before the game's even out. Notice how the missions only are only up to 4 dots in difficulty? Yeah. The game promises about 25-30 heists on release. I play multi-day missions, and if you're with a group doing 4 stores grinding then you're doing it wrong. You make fucking chump change even in the current bank heist compared to Rats or even Watchdogs. I made 700k on Rats Very Hard after securing all 24 bags of loot (and Meth).

MetalCraze

Arcane
True the missions are not iconic. Especially a mission like Heat Street is missing.
They should've added original PD1 missions at least.

But overall it's an OK game. Won't buy for a full price though.

Dr Tomo

Learned
  • AMCAR is mostly shit, get the AK rifle which is vastly superior
  • Turn off DEpth of Field
  • It's a rare occurence that the suppressed weapon alerts a lot of people. Also, don't fuckingp ut on the mask when you're right next to the guard if you don't want to get arrested.
  • They get back up because of the cops nearby. Which is why you have to keep a close eye on crowd control or you know, just tie up the civvies?
  • The AI stays at the front entrance in case you guys do a stealth run.
  • Play some more faggot

It's the beta. They're not going to put down their best levels in so you burn yourselves out on it before the game's even out. Notice how the missions only are only up to 4 dots in difficulty? Yeah. The game promises about 25-30 heists on release. I play multi-day missions, and if you're with a group doing 4 stores grinding then you're doing it wrong. You make fucking chump change even in the current bank heist compared to Rats or even Watchdogs. I made 700k on Rats Very Hard after securing all 24 bags of loot (and Meth).

Think playing for nine hours and finding all these fails is enough for me to say that it is worth picking it up on a sale as Metalcraze said. I also find it funny that you are going to cherry pick that minor flaws when the last couple posts I shat on other major flaws that again is in my opinion doesn't justify their $30 price tag let alone their $50. I am sorry that I don't see the game in the same rosy picture as you do and ignore major issues that I saw in the first game repeated in the second.

Also please stop using the "it is in beta" excuse as you must be suffering mercury poisoning if you think they are going to fix these major problems of the game before their release date which is a few weeks. Anyway look forward to reading more of your fanboy posts justifying the $30 price tag to the codex.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
KF doesn't make you grind for unlocks but it is a grind to progress to higher levels of play in public matches. That is, a lot of people will kick you from higher difficulty games if you're still only rank 3 despite the fact you're probably able to hold your own. I don't have a problem with the KF system but the curve/time it takes to progress is to steep.

bert

Arcane
Think playing for nine hours and finding all these fails is enough for me to say that it is worth picking it up on a sale as Metalcraze said. I also find it funny that you are going to cherry pick that minor flaws when the last couple posts I shat on other major flaws that again is in my opinion doesn't justify their $30 price tag let alone their $50. I am sorry that I don't see the game in the same rosy picture as you do and ignore major issues that I saw in the first game repeated in the second.

Also please stop using the "it is in beta" excuse as you must be suffering mercury poisoning if you think they are going to fix these major problems of the game before their release date which is a few weeks. Anyway look forward to reading more of your fanboy posts justifying the $30 price tag to the codex.

:lol: You think I was applying that statement to your crock of shit above? No. It's the beta. It comes with 5 heists, not the whole 25-30 heists. Those heists included are only 4 dots in difficulty, not at all an indication of end-game.

OK, let's look at these so called 'major flaws'

They added a suppression mechanic in-game that makes the enemies more likely to dive for cover/cower when under fire depending on the weapon and volume of fire involved. Also, are you really playing on normal? What a shame.
I don't see how this is a major flaw.
Besides the loot system, just what exactly is wrong with crafting? Not a major flaw.

Also expect the A.I to swarm you that would put KF to shame. Sat at the lobby of the bank gunning down at least a half dozen that walked in a single file through the main entrance. Also this game is primed for dlc milking as I spoke with some other players and there is a consensus that you can expect to see a lot of Wolfpack like dlc so that you can increase your level get some nice shiny weapons, etc.

Please, exaggerate harder on that.

Dr Tomo

Learned

:lol: You think I was applying that statement to your crock of shit above? No. It's the beta. It comes with 5 heists, not the whole 25-30 heists. Those heists included are only 4 dots in difficulty, not at all an indication of end-game.

OK, let's look at these so called 'major flaws'

They added a suppression mechanic in-game that makes the enemies more likely to dive for cover/cower when under fire depending on the weapon and volume of fire involved. Also, are you really playing on normal? What a shame.
I don't see how this is a major flaw.
Besides the loot system, just what exactly is wrong with crafting? Not a major flaw.

Please, exaggerate harder on that.

Well someone got super defensive real quick over a game. :lol: Either way you can keep talking up on how amazing this game is and why everyone on the Codex should pick up the game for at least $30 if not the $50 collectors Ed. I am sure that most people will be reassured that it is a beta and that everything will be magically fixed in 2 days lolz. Anyway the thread is your bud so better up sell more and good luck.:salute: People wonder why the industry is one big septic tanks ha.

*The mobs work like KF as I played to overkill and they only soak up more bullets and do more damage. Just a little fyi if you think that this makes the A.I sophisticated.:lol: You do provide a good laugh.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Played the beta a few hours tonight. The available heists are completely shit and devoid of fun. The other 25 heists better be fucking good or this will be Steam sale fodder for me.

bert

Arcane
Well someone got super defensive real quick over a game. :lol: Either way you can keep talking up on how amazing this game is and why everyone on the Codex should pick up the game for at least $30 if not the $50 collectors Ed. I am sure that most people will be reassured that it is a beta and that everything will be magically fixed in 2 days lolz. Anyway the thread is your bud so better up sell more and good luck.:salute: People wonder why the industry is one big septic tanks ha.

*The mobs work like KF as I played to overkill and they only soak up more bullets and do more damage. Just a little fyi if you think that this makes the A.I sophisticated.:lol: You do provide a good laugh.

Yes, because refuting your argument makes me super defensive. :lol: Either way you can keep ignoring my counterarguments and continue strawmanning your way out of this. I am sure that most people will be reassured that they have someone like you to enlighten them on why exactly the game, despite all its newly added features like playstyle changing classes, multi-day heists and improved customization isn't worth an extra $10 over Payday 1 (Which was $20 btw.). Anyway I find it highly amusing that you accuse me of cherrypicking when you outright ignore what I just said in my earlier post.:salute: People wonder why the industry is one big septic tanks ha.

Not exactly. The FBI units are less easily suppressed and not to mention the Heavy FBI's body armor is there to train you to go for headshots. Higher difficulties also add more specials each wave and ramp up the objective requirements (ie 8 bags instead of 3 bags of jewelry for the jewelry store heist for instance. Going for all 8 dramatically increases the chance of getting downed as your team has to go back for those last 8 bags.). Really, what were you expecting from increased difficulty levels?:lol:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Payday sucks on anything below Overkill or 145+. Those higher difficulties make the game way more interesting.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, anybody playing this game? I find it very enjoyable in co-op, but playing with bros would be better than playing with noname retards.

Multi-headed Cow

I managed to Konjad myself a preorder of the career criminal edition of this and it's pretty great. Played something like 3 hours of it this evening. Missions seem a bit sharper than in the original, fewer super cops and improved regular cops is nice, and it just overall seems a bit better than the first. I'm leery on the grinding, though. Gaining levels and improved gear seems even more important than in the first, and possibly slower to earn. On the bright side it seems like if you know what you're doing you could do some really fast grinding runs for dosh/XP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom