Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PC Gamer Presents: The Ultimate RPG Handbook

pippin

It's a marketing ploy.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
This kind of publication is only made to skim people with a high willingness to pay for certain content. A legit business move, nothing more. Sometimes it allows for good journalism, but that's just incidental.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The making of the Family Matters quest in TW3 is probably the only thing worth reading in that book.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I remember a time when PC Gamer mags would come with hundreds of pages. Now a special edition has a "massive" 128 :lol:

ColCol

Arcane
Plenty of quailty writing on rpgs and the history of rpgs that can be accessed for free. This can piss right off.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
This is literally the video game equivalent of:

dc61dd232d08530f11c68eyl61.png

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
Well, all the gaming-related media is struggling for last, I dunno, decade, so IMO they're just trying to capitalize on the recent RPG popularity trend.

This one-way communication doesn't work though, right since the internet 2.0 was invented. Not only do I want to read your article but I want to explain why it sucks, why the author sucks, his background, upbrining and family do as well and so on.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
  • Andy returns to Skyrim - does The Elder Scrolls V still hold up today?

Did it ever fucking hold up as an RPG or evolution of the Scrolls series, or as a great game in general? No. No it damn well didn't.

Also people saying whether or not games from the previous generation "holds up" or not drives me fucking insane, as the current generation of games are the same dumbed down trite as the last only with ever so slightly better graphics. Not to mention the majority of games of that era never held up to actual scrutiny to begin with.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Prophet here. Qucik summary of 28 pages. Akalabeth something something, Ultima something, Wizardry something something. Final Fantasy is better. Diablo something awesome, Morrowind was shit, but Oblivion is god. Boulder's Gate, Planet Escape, Dragon Age, blah, blah. Bethesda made Fallout.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I was gifted a copy by a generous Codexer, will post impressions when it arrives. :)

Was fun to type my address in Japanese and see the website go crazy. :P

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • Andy returns to Skyrim - does The Elder Scrolls V still hold up today?

Did it ever fucking hold up as an RPG or evolution of the Scrolls series, or as a great game in general? No. No it damn well didn't.

Well, if we consider that the earlier entry from the ES series was Oblivion... then Skyrim certainly can be seen as an evolution of the series. A huge improvement in fact.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
A restrospect into RPG history: How does Skyrim hold up today?
And a journey into the forgotten legends of ancient times: Oblivion, the game that started it all.

pippin

A restrospect into RPG history: How does Skyrim hold up today?
And a journey into the forgotten legends of ancient times: Oblivion, the game that started it all.

I've actually seen and heard people who seriously think TES started with Morrowind.

Harold

Arcane
:kingcomrade:
I'm telling ya brah, Bethesda has this strange thing where they like to start their series at #3 for some reason: Fallout 3, Doom 3: BFG, Tes III: Morrowind. It's fuckin' weird, brah
:kingcomrade:

Trashos

Arcane
Quality content:
94AZcEC.png

Let's look on the bright side. It was BS like this that brought me to RPGCodex in the first place. Some Codexers occassionally agree with me, some tell me to go fuck off, but it is all reasonable somehow. Outside the Codex it is just surreal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom