Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline PC Gamer: We're in an FPS golden age

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
In terms of E-Sports? Sure. Look at CS:GO

In term of variety? Sure. CS:GO, PUBG, Overwatch, Quake Live, Quake Champions + SP games

In terms of game being good? Entirely subjective.

Ash

Arcane
Now you faggots cry for the mid or early 2000s like that era wasnt full of absolute trash fps games every retarded publisher shat out on a daily basis. The genre was largely thought of as glorified and lazy tech demos. That era and fps were like today and indie retroshit platformers.

The majority have been crying for 1993-2002 or so, roughly. The mid 2000s was indeed tech demo shite.

As for your first paragraph:
rating_shit.png

Old school FPS was all about the gameplay. In many ways more than just shooting, too.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
Modern FPS games with singleplayer "campaigns" are garbage pop-a-mole simulators. Level design is generally utter shit. As for the MP aspects of FPS games, they are mostly re-hashed versions of older games (ie: CSGO and QuakeLive) but now with gimme your gold included. The more original of the MP bunch like Overwatch we'll say still suffer from awful net code and other bloat. It's a real epidemic when you can play a game with more total players in Q3A or UT on a 56k modem happily with almost non-existent bugs than with a modern high-speed connection in present FPS games. Plenty of sequelitis going on too. They've also marketed out a lot of the original fun as well, like the plethora of custom maps and mods that used to be created. It was even encouraged before. Now devs just want your money, no new maps or modes for you unless you pay them the game's full price for like 3 maps then micro-transactions for more unlocks! Moar skins!

Golden age? Yeah, it's a golden age to get ripped off for sure. That article is written by some idiot who probably bought an Unreal Anthology pack and played UT for the first time in his life this year then pretended he played it in '99. I won't even get into how much of Doom he actually played.

Last edited:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Vanilla Q3A netcode is pretty shitty by modern standards even if you tweak around with upload rate. Thankfully Carmack was a freetard so Q1, Q2, and Q3 (with CPMA) all have much better netcode thanks to their moddability.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
The only good multiplayer FPS game coming out is Midair this year, everything else is normalqueer shit.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The only good multiplayer FPS game coming out is Midair this year, everything else is normalqueer shit.
I want to believe but that art style + f2p has me slightly cautious. Why couldn't they just copy T2 classic right down to the art style and sound design? :negative:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I want to believe but that art style + f2p has me slightly cautious. Why couldn't they just copy T2 classic right down to the art style and sound design? :negative:

Expensive and time consuming to make more realistic textures in the modern day. Simplicity is a good thing and I enjoy how colorful it is. F2P is also a good thing since the game would be completely dead without it but you can buy a progression pass that will unlock everything forever for 28$ IIRC. If you buy EA then you get a progression pass on F2P release too.

abija

Prophet
The more original of the MP bunch like Overwatch we'll say still suffer from awful net code and other bloat.

Actually in standard Blizzard fashion Overwatch runs so smooth it makes switching to other games painful. Plays decent at 100-150ms and pings over 50ms feel better than <10ms in ut or quake series (small distance from servers but not lan).

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Wow that is a retarded post.

Mynon, your citation has been given: shitposter. What a turd.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah yeah, the enjoyment of dying behind a wall thinking you were safe.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
We're in an FPS golden age
There is not a single genre in the industry undergoing a golden age. Not. One.

Overwatch, PUBG, CS:GO, Quake Champions, Killing Floor 2... the volume and variety of great first-person shooters has never been greater.
Overwatch is fucking garbage. It's actively un-fun. In TF2 if some shitter went sniper he was one person out of probably a dozen who wasn't pulling his fucking weight. In Overwatch, if some faggot goes Hanzo/Widow on offense you will FEEL him just sucking the fun right out of the goddamn match. A former friend convinced me to pick up Overwatch and that's one of the reasons he's a former friend.
Can't personally vouch for or against PUBG, have heard other people saying it's shit, don't care enough to investigate further
CS:GO is not fun.
Quake Champions is thoroughly fucking unexciting-looking.
KF2 might be fun, but Tripwire is such a shitty company that I'll be damned if I pay them one red cent.

Don't look now, but right now might be the best time ever for multiplayer FPSes. I'm old enough to have experienced the [to the tune of Bryan Adams] 'FPSummer of Ninety-Nine' that gave us, egad, Quake III, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress Classic, and the beginning of Counter-Strike. I think 2017 surpasses that.
1999 and he's calling himself old. Who the fuck do you think you are? Get off my lawn.

• An Arma mod on steroids is the most popular FPS on Steam. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is a story generator that balances intense firefights with goofing around. It's a 100-person free-for-all on a massive map that also respects your time. This week PUBG is running its first major tournament at Gamescom, with a $350,000 prize pool.
  • Even with PUBG alongside it, Arma 3—an intricate and often demanding sim—averages about 22,000 concurrent players daily. That's five times the playerbase it had at launch in 2013.
  • Blizzard's first FPS is colorful, competitive, and inclusive. But maybe most noteworthy is the tenacity and transparency with which Blizzard has iterated on Overwatch over time: it's been patched more than 120 times since launch, with seven seasonal events so far.
  • Investment money is pouring into Blizzard's Overwatch League, which will hopefully lay the groundwork for stable team rosters and great tournaments.
  • Tribes isn't dead, it was just sleeping.
  • Valve's support for CS:GO has been inconsistent, but the shooter has nevertheless cemented itself as an insanely deep competitive game. You could spend months working on your grenade technique alone. With its massive tournaments and a little help from online gambling, CS:GO has paved the way for all other FPS' esports scenes.
  • Quake is back. Even with a free-to-play business model, rentable characters, and 'ultimate' abilities attached to each champion, Quake Champions bunnyhops and talks like a pure Quake game.
  • One of the biggest game publishers in the world made a multiplayer-only, PC-first, tactical FPS and has supported it well for two years. Rainbow Six Siege has 2.3M daily players on all platforms.
  • One decade after Halo 2, Destiny 2 is coming to PC.
  • Tripwire and Antimatter Games are quietly making some of the best FPSes on this list. Killing Floor 2, which just ran a great summer event, deserves some sort of blood-soaked Emmy for its gore system and gun animations. Rising Storm 2: Vietnam represents one of the best midpoints between authenticity and accessibility, continuing the series' ambitious focus on asymmetry.
  • Battlefield 1, with easily the best infantry combat in the series, chugs along with paid expansions.
  • March's Day of Infamy is a worthy successor to Day of Defeat, with great co-op to boot.
  • Unreal Tournament is being remade as a unique collaboration between modders and Epic.
  • Expect a major update to Team Fortress 2 when it turns 10 on October 10.
  • Call of Duty: WWII is getting a beta on PC.
  • 20 years after GoldenEye came out on Nintendo 64, the best version of it exists on PC and is maintained by a team of passionate fans. It's free.
  • LawBreakers is rather good.
  • Most of these games are funded by cosmetic microtransactions that don't affect gameplay, rather than expansions or map packs that would fragment the player base.
  • The 144hz monitors you should play these games on are getting cheaper.
>LawBreakers is rather good
How much did Cliffy B pay you to say that, faggot? Fucking BRINK was outdoing it for people playing when BRINK went F2P. BRINK's been dead for how long now?
>Quake is back
Quake was never gone. Quake Live was around and was decent.
>no mention of Xonotic anywhere
Yeah, because you weren't getting paid by anyone for that, you faggot.
>Unreal Tournament being remade
Who the fuck cares? We still have UT99 and UT2004 and what the fuck else would you want? Epic's gone to shit anyway.
>Battlefield 1 good in any way
Buggy, shits on history for diversity's sake.
>update to TF2
Who cares? It's dead and Valve fucking killed it.
>Cawadoody
Who cares.

Last edited:
It's actively un-fun....

In Overwatch, if some faggot goes Hanzo/Widow on offense you will FEEL him just sucking the fun right out of the goddamn match. A former friend convinced me to pick up Overwatch and that's one of the reasons he's a former friend.

Can't personally vouch for or against PUBG, have heard other people saying it's shit, don't care enough to investigate further

KF2 might be fun, but Tripwire is such a shitty company that I'll be damned if I pay them one red cent.

You sure seem like you know how to have a good time!

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
It's actively un-fun....

In Overwatch, if some faggot goes Hanzo/Widow on offense you will FEEL him just sucking the fun right out of the goddamn match. A former friend convinced me to pick up Overwatch and that's one of the reasons he's a former friend.

You sure seem like you know how to have a good time!

I used to. All I really do anymore is alternate between Grim Dawn, UT2004 and Fallout New Vegas. Been in a rut for a while. UT2004 is still genuinely fun with bots if you ratchet them up a bit, Onslaught is best mode. I used to kind of like Brutal Doom but Sargentwhateverthefuck has been getting really autistic about adding shit no one really wants and there are better options for adulterating GZDoom. I'm mildly annoyed we're never going to see another Blood game and if we do it won't be good.

lightbane

Arcane
Then further still, you could even add hordes of totally mediocre doom clones, the less interesting of old school console FPS, or weird experiments that are still more engaging and/or innovative than most modern FPS.

Define 'experimental' for the purposes of a FPS. Sounds like an interesting thing.

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Playing with bots.:lol:
When you're in a gamemode/on a map that requires more than you and your 3 friends that aren't shit and still play UT2004 (read: anything more than a DM, TDM, some CTFs and instagib) you use bots to pad out the players. UT2004's bots aren't groundbreaking but they're better than most (put bot level to Godlike and watch them shit out shock combos like crazy). I don't expect bots to be human-level, that's absolutely impossible now and it was then. But aside from some quirks with how they handle vehicles, UT2004's bots are relative rocket scientists (compared to, say, most TF2 bots).

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Playing with bots.:lol:
Kid is boasting about quite literally wasting his time. :lol:

BTW mods should rename this into "Making fun of Pariah Dog and his low effort edgelording Thread"
Sure, if we can rename every other thread you've been posting in "Verbally face-fucking Mynon and his basic-bitch level politics and general shit taste". Do I need to bring up how you're a plagiarist, too?

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Golden Age is the mid-late 90s and early 00s.

Duke 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior - essentially all the Build engine games.
Quake.
Unreal.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
Half Life.
Heck, even Medal of Honor and Call of Duty came out in the early 00s period, and back then they were still fresh.
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, as well as its sequels Jedi Knight II and III.
Red Faction.

And then there were countless FPS games released in that time that might not have been as good and influential as those mentioned above, but still decent and fun to play, like Klingon Honor Guard and Kingpin.

Soldier Of Fortune in 2000!

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
Golden Age is the mid-late 90s and early 00s.

Duke 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior - essentially all the Build engine games.
Quake.
Unreal.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
Half Life.
Heck, even Medal of Honor and Call of Duty came out in the early 00s period, and back then they were still fresh.
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, as well as its sequels Jedi Knight II and III.
Red Faction.

And then there were countless FPS games released in that time that might not have been as good and influential as those mentioned above, but still decent and fun to play, like Klingon Honor Guard and Kingpin.

Soldier Of Fortune in 2000!
When did Clive Barker's Undying come out again? 2001? No multiplayer, still pretty fun (most of the way through, anyway).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom