Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC vs. Consoles

Mortmal

Arcane
I just look at the hdtv screens you can start getting something decent at 179 euros, 1000 is really nice one already.Same as a pc screen or almost now.

I always remember of a rivality between computer and consoles, first the c64/amstrad vs the nes, c64 had a lot of variety and some damn good games, in all objectivity it had the upper hand , but nothing like a zelda and mario wich were really expensive. That would be paying 100 euros today for a game, in europe , while c64 games were free (everyone was pirating).

Then it was amiga/st vs megadrive/snes , again awesome variety on the computers but still the arcade ports( arcade games were the big thing by then ) were quite subpar on computers.Consoles games were usually getting better reviews in magazines, lot of japanese games especially you couldnt find on computers , zeldas again etc etc ....Thus grew the grustration and the console hate.

Its almost a social clash rich vs poor. The rich could afford the neo geo and the absurdly overpriced games, those were much more impressive than on the megradrive even, the poor were gaming on computers with pirated copies.

But now that i am swimming in cash i dont give a fuck about console vs pc, i buy everything! :troll:

Captain Shrek

@St. Toxic:

I DID read that post. Really!

BUT.

No your worship. All your reasons are emotional and unclear: I can't see why with a CONTROLLER any of the games you mention would become less playable on PC.

DraQ

Arcane
Mortmal said:
I just look at the hdtv screens you can start getting something decent at 179 euros, 1000 is really nice one already.Same as a pc screen or almost now.

I always remember of a rivality between computer and consoles, first the c64/amstrad vs the nes, c64 had a lot of variety and some damn good games, in all objectivity it had the upper hand , but nothing like a zelda and mario wich were really expensive. That would be paying 100 euros today for a game, in europe , while c64 games were free (everyone was pirating).

Then it was amiga/st vs megadrive/snes , again awesome variety on the computers but still the arcade ports( arcade games were the big thing by then ) were quite subpar on computers.Consoles games were usually getting better reviews in magazines, lot of japanese games especially you couldnt find on computers , zeldas again etc etc ....Thus grew the grustration and the console hate.

Its almost a social clash rich vs poor. The rich could afford the neo geo and the absurdly overpriced games, those were much more impressive than on the megradrive even, the poor were gaming on computers with pirated copies.

But now that i am swimming in cash i dont give a fuck about console vs pc, i buy everything! :troll:
That would the first historical case of poor, educated masses VS few affluent retards.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Kraszu said:
M4BE1R0 said:
But to achieve that you have to run it in a higher resolution and/or with filters and with better FPS rate, amirite?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241 Better then that is far away from maxed, mediocre 4 year old PC will easily do better.
that's TL;DR, probably outdated and too technical for me :M

but if you mean this
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=2
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php? ... ostcount=3

I couldn't play some multiplatform games in high resolutions(and I wasn't trying to go HD) even with a high end 2008 video card and a powerful processor, I mean I could but then the framerate would get all stuttery

But then you can argue that merely running a game with slightly better filtering or slightly higher res is already "good enough", which ends the discussion

I generally have no problems with consoles themselves, when they have their own games or PC titles are ported to them. I was a console gamer for years and years until I got a PC, and I'd still have my 350 if it hadn't crapped out post-warranty.

My problem is 5-6 years after initial release when they're positively ancient, and a company with a game that has so much potential decides to go multi-platform. Surprise, suddenly it's being scaled back in scope to handle the constraints of the PS3.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I can probably count on one hand the number of console exclusive games released in the last decade I had any interest in playing so... why buy one?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Metro said:
I can probably count on one hand the number of console exclusive games released in the last decade I had any interest in playing so... why buy one?
Why do you lie?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
No your worship. All your reasons are emotional and unclear: I can't see why with a CONTROLLER any of the games you mention would become less playable on PC.

For one thing, my PC is a workstation and I can't put a crowd in front of it comfortably. The 64 bit sixaxis drivers often glitch when you connect two controllers. Every time in recent years that I've tried playing local mp games with someone the configuration stage seems to have lasted longer than the actual playing time (I think the last one was Obscure, or maybe Watchmen). My TV used to be bigger than my screen, though I don't have a TV anymore. Nobody feels like breaking controllers when they fail, they just ctrl+alt+del. Add to that the fact that I don't have a bunch of twitchy action games on my comp, because that shit belongs on consoles and shouldn't even be released for the PC, and it just overall makes more sense to pull out a Snes for Street Fighter or psx for Tekken. There is something to authenticity, after all, that emulators do not convey.

But, I digress. Would you say that the reverse of your claim is true, that PC games on a console of sufficient hardware capacity are just as valid as they would be on their native platform, providing that they are played with mouse + keyboard? If not, then why not?

TripJack

Hedonist
Intelligent human beings realize that the debate is pointless and that video games are in fact not that important. There are no intelligent human beings on the codex or, indeed, on internet gaming discussion forums in general.
:dance::dance: :dance:

Captain Shrek

St. Toxic said:
Add to that the fact that I don't have a bunch of twitchy action games on my comp, because that shit belongs on consoles and shouldn't even be released for the PC, and it just overall makes more sense to pull out a Snes for Street Fighter or psx for Tekken. There is something to authenticity, after all, that emulators do not convey.

Although your logistic problems are understandably valid, it only shows what could be done with better implementation of local MP with computers. Nothing else. I can't see why that crowding issue is PC exclusive. With a gaming rig and setup its always possible. Please. I am not debating the economics of gaming. Just its quality.

But, I digress. Would you say that the reverse of your claim is true, that PC games on a console of sufficient hardware capacity are just as valid as they would be on their native platform, providing that they are played with mouse + keyboard? If not, then why not?

I don't get it. Why is it necessary to have a separate console in the age of smart-phones and tablet PCs? Isn't multitasking the name of the game or am I mistaken somehow and its just a fad JUST LIKE CONSOLES?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Although your logistic problems are understandably valid, it only shows what could be done with better implementation of local MP with computers. Nothing else. I can't see why that crowding issue is PC exclusive. With a gaming rig and setup its always possible. Please. I am not debating the economics of gaming. Just its quality.

But I actually prefer it this way. I like one setup for when I have people over and another for private gaming sessions and, well, work. It really isn't about economy, I got enough money to spend on stupid shit. It's like my old apartment with the big tv in the living room and the small one in the bedroom -- not because I was too poor to get two gigantic screens, but because I wanted a small tv for the rare occasions that I would watch it on my own.

Captain Shrek said:
I don't get it. Why is it necessary to have a separate console in the age of smart-phones and tablet PCs? Isn't multitasking the name of the game or am I mistaken somehow and its just a fad JUST LIKE CONSOLES?

So, is a phone a valid platform for all future gaming?

St. Toxic

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
St. Toxic said:

Is that what I meant?

Well, I did ask a question and got no answer, save for MULTITASKING. If you could just have a smartphone that would connect up with your screen at home and a keyboard and mouse, would you replace your stationary with it? Some people do go full-tablet, I mean... hey, it's a short leap from laptops and that's pretty popular.

Captain Shrek

St. Toxic said:
Captain Shrek said:
St. Toxic said:

Is that what I meant?

Well, I did ask a question and got no answer, save for MULTITASKING. If you could just have a smartphone that would connect up with your screen at home and a keyboard and mouse, would you replace your stationary with it? Some people do go full-tablet, I mean... hey, it's a short leap from laptops and that's pretty popular.

Look. I KNOW you are smart and I KNOW you understand somewhere what I meant. That's fine. It is typically silly and wrong to DEMAND charity, but I ask interpretative charity when I post. And, it was never difficult to do that.

But since you have decided to ask I will answer but this is the final discussion between us on this issue:

I believe and not unreasonably so, that certain games require a certain critical screen size. Go below that and you loose optimal settings. It is arguable that you could reduce the resolution as low as possible to suit small devices. But that would mean that we NOT use the best available to us. Can there be phones for games then? YeS! There can be games for Phones. But not Phones as sole devices for gaming.

A PC is essentially giving you great flexibility in terms of hardware, graphics and software setting added with ease of modulating content. Consoles don't. Any GAMING ONLY object having equal capacity of graphics/hardware alone is always inferior to a PC that has at least the same capacity towards gaming. That is indisputable. Now if the problem pertains to MONETARY necessity, I would not argue that one should go for what he knows is best for his pockets. But to argue that Consoles are better than PC for ANY OTHER reason whatsoever is nothing but emotional attachment to a lost cause.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Once upon a time I'd say consoles serve a pretty good purpose in allowing better quality control and giving developers an opportunity to fine tune a game engine to suit a platform. But these days, they tend to go multi platform anyways, the consoles aren't even very different from eachother, and the quality control is shit.

Controls are a non issue for me, if you can't design a proper control scheme for pretty much anything using a 10 button dual analog control, you're simply incompetent. No game or program requires that many functions. But when I get a fucking BSOD playing a console game, what the fuck was the point of having it on a console if you couldn't even fix shit that basic? Consoles fell behind pretty much with the playstation generation, and have been declining ever since. There's still some exclusive stuff available thats worthwhile if you can afford it, but it's a shame they didn't just build for PC instead.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Look. I KNOW you are smart

Wow, high praise.

Captain Shrek said:
I believe and not unreasonably so, that certain games require a certain critical screen size. Go below that and you loose optimal settings. It is arguable that you could reduce the resolution as low as possible to suit small devices. But that would mean that we NOT use the best available to us. Can there be phones for games then? YeS! There can be games for Phones. But not Phones as sole devices for gaming.

It's funny, but I never even considered resolution as a criteria; some of my favorite games are painful to look at on bigger screens. I did mention, however, that in the hypothetical example presented you could connect up your phone/console/magical-derp-device to a screen of your choosing. If we assume that resolutions aren't locked, because -- well, really -- there's no reason to lock em', would you then say that the portable device is a worthwhile replacement for the pc? If you could get the same kind of performance and the same kind of quality out of your phone tomorrow, would you throw your pc out the window and start using your phone instead?

Captain Shrek said:
A PC is essentially giving you great flexibility in terms of hardware, graphics and software setting added with ease of modulating content. Consoles don't.

That's certainly true. But say that you're playing some console port that has no mod support and runs about as well on the pc as on a console, and at the same resolution. What's the difference?

Captain Shrek said:
Any GAMING ONLY object having equal capacity of graphics/hardware alone is always inferior to a PC that has at least the same capacity towards gaming. That is indisputable.

Well sure, but that's meta. If somebody put you in front of a game that you really liked, and all you could do was play it or not, it wouldn't matter what platform it was running on because you would never even know.

Captain Shrek said:
Now if the problem pertains to MONETARY necessity, I would not argue that one should go for what he knows is best for his pockets. But to argue that Consoles are better than PC for ANY OTHER reason whatsoever is nothing but emotional attachment to a lost cause.

I think you're emotional, for whatever reason, about computers. Computers are great computers, but consoles can be pretty good consoles and even portables are fairly decent portables. Last few years it's gotten pretty hard to tell them apart, because they see more or less the same shitty products, but thinking back to the times of PC gaming it's fairly easy to pinpoint the console experience as something unique and distinct from the PC counterpart. Back then, I always preferred PC games over console games, but the term PC game has essentially lost all meaning these days.

Mortmal

Arcane
Guys you know the future is tactile tablets, phones, broadband connection and a central server to host your games, well hosting your licenses and right to play games as you wont technically own them anymore, no more piracy possible .
I dont think pc sales will keep going, theres nothing justyfing buying a top end pc nowadays, youths already dont own desktop computers anymore.
Serious question, right now do you have a gaming reason to upgrade a pc, what are you looking forward to play on it that cant be played on consoles?

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
But a pc can outconsole a (classic?) console if you

a) stand the hassle of setting up shit
b) have the monies to buy shit you have to setup, obviously
c) have the games to play with people (games that you can run on a single computer and still play with several people on split screen) or the software and hardware to bypass that (I guess this one simply isn't possible for "this-gen" games)

Mortmal said:
theres nothing justyfing buying a top end pc nowadays
what makes you think you need one for gaming, as opposed to a mid or even low end pc?

St. Toxic

Arcane
You can certainly own more roms with less hassle than physically having the cartridges and consoles and the various problems that occur from years of wear and tear. The hassle of setting up shit is probably bigger with the actual consoles even. But I still think that emulators fall short of the actual experience, at least for classical console games -- I don't think there would be any difference with most of the current gen stuff.

Mortmal

Arcane
M4BE1R0 said:
Mortmal said:
theres nothing justyfing buying a top end pc nowadays
what makes you think you need one for gaming, as opposed to a mid or even low end pc?

You needed a top pc until around crysis release, there was a good reason to invest , but now its all scaled on the xbox360,you dont need a top pc for gaming, the low end and average config is more than enough and more suited as youll will basically get an xbox with games for less or free except a few exclusives.I dont see any reasons for pc hardware race anymore.
I am still looking for pc games demanding top hardware.

MetalCraze

Arcane
only high end "4 years old pcs" can max
Any 4 years old PC can max except really shitty low-end.
Consoles run their crap at 720p (and even 640p is not a rare case) without any AA at 30 fps max, are you saying some mediocre 4 years old PC can't handle it with ease? You seriously overestimate an utterly shitty 7 years old console hardware

I also forgot to mention better controls and much more possibilities with PC but even without these PC gaming is not more expensive.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DraQ said:
I grew up playing with joystick and pad on c64. Pad works really well for simplistic 2D games like platformers and beat'em'ups. Ever since I switched to PC with mouse and 'board and started playing more complex games requiring more precision and using more complex control schemes, I never looked back.
I've been putting off replaying Descent, Wing Commander, F19/F117, Comanche, and a whole bunch of other games because I don't have a joystick here and I can't bother doing the research to find a worthy replacement for my trusty old Thrustmaster. It's not so much that K+M is more precise or that games are more complex, they're just completely different beasts. I'd never play any of the games I listed on anything other than a joystick. Likewise, I don't plan on buying an actual wheel, so things like Moto Racer or Colin McRae 2.0 practically require a pad for enjoyment. And I'd hardly call F117 or Colin 2 "simple games". The real problem is specifically when FPS and RPG are forced on you with a pad scheme, even if you're on your PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom