Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC vs. Consoles

Mortmal

Arcane
Your reasons for not buying a console for your kids are completely valid , although that remember me a couple of friends who banned tv from their home. The kids were completely mesmerized by it when in my house...You may prevent them from playing it now, but they will go at their friends home to play it ;)
Seems little ivan will grow up like i did, console games price were absurd, i ended up playing more complex games on the computers and have fond memories of it , heck thats how i learned english all my fine english is coming from video games! I learned nothing at school, i dont remember one word of german either as games were not in german.
Looking at abandonware sites i am glad i grew up with c64 and amiga instead on nes and megadrive.Nothing like a populous on them or a dungeon master or.. well too many titles to quote.

Oh yeah and nade summed it rather well with the amiga was clearly superior, i can add , mouse support before anyone except on extremely pricey machines like mac or archimedes.My frist grasp at multimedia was there, you had cartoon design sofwtare for exemple , or drawing tools like deluxe paint 3 those were breath taking, very powerful tools.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fF1OYaobPA 1989 hehe
first 3D i saw on a computer ever, a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSGvQSWfZc
My first 3d game, thats almost virtual reality for its time, so impressive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7kMwR8pmA

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
MetalCraze said:
only high end "4 years old pcs" can max
Any 4 years old PC can max except really shitty low-end.
Consoles run their crap at 720p (and even 640p is not a rare case) without any AA at 30 fps max, are you saying some mediocre 4 years old PC can't handle it with ease? You seriously overestimate an utterly shitty 7 years old console hardware

I also forgot to mention better controls and much more possibilities with PC but even without these PC gaming is not more expensive.

As I said, framerate gets bad here at higher resolutions and filtering on multiplatform games using a GTS 250, it's p. old today(the card is a remake of a remake of a remake, but I guess it still counts as high end) and the rest of my rig is also good enough, and anything above 17'' monitor resolution already pushes it to its limit

but I don't deny you can indeed run some of the New Shit(actually I'm talking about older ports since I can't find benchmarks for Sandy Bridge graphics) without a proper video card, results ranging from disastrous to almost completely flawless, though apparently Intel still cannot into video drivers so you have to deal with buggy graphics :X

It's a big possibility there's a fuckup on my(better yet, the manufacturer's) end, though, I'll probably be able to confirm this soon :M

Kraszu

Prophet
M4BE1R0 said:
MetalCraze said:
Consoles run their crap at 720p (and even 640p is not a rare case) without any AA at 30 fps max, are you saying some mediocre 4 years old PC can't handle it with ease? You seriously overestimate an utterly shitty 7 years old console hardware

I also forgot to mention better controls and much more possibilities with PC but even without these PC gaming is not more expensive.

As I said, framerate gets bad here at higher resolutions and filtering on multiplatform games using a GTS 250, it's p. old today(the card is a remake of a remake of a remake, but I guess it still counts as high end) and the rest of my rig is also good enough, and anything above 17'' monitor resolution already pushes it to its limit

You mean 1280 x 1024 res? That is bigger then console offers already...

Games on console usually don't have any filtering, or if then on the low side. I had given you a list.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Kraszu said:
M4BE1R0 said:
MetalCraze said:

You mean 1280 x 1024 res? That is bigger then console offers already...

Games on console usually don't have any filtering, or if then on the low side. I had given you a list.
Not necessarily, but yes, that's where performance starts taking a beating(meaning the old pc doesn't actually beat the console since console games appear to run finely more often than not, or differences are minimal like 2x or 4x AA instead of none, which again you can argue is enough), though the newer low end cards may perform better, which kind of would make you right

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The only reason an old PC wouldn't be able to run a modern console port is because of poor optimization and API overhead. Console games are typically optimized at an extremely low level (lots of assembler code, interfacing directly with hardware) so you can end up with awesome-looking games like Uncharted 3, but it's extremely rare to see anything of the sort on PC.

tennishero

Novice
Captain Shrek said:
. There is nothing that Console can do what a PC can't do and PC can do better almost always.

yeah i just love all that DRM the consoles have on them.............. oh wait
yeah i just love being forced to install on every console game.......oh wait
yeah i just love the amazing controls keyboard and............HAHAHAHAHAHA- weak sauce
I just love the fact that in 7 years on consoles you would have paid over 2000 dollars to play the same games on pc- and had you pc depreciate every cent spent

pc gaming is dead- now fuck off faggots and if you want to game buy a console- join the elite

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
SCO said:
IBM dang fucked up when they didn't copyright BIOS and IBMPC left right and center and unleashed a monster.

They did, however it was before lets patent mathematics equation age, thus it didn't work. They managed to get around it (by hard work), and IBM ended.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
tennishero said:
Captain Shrek said:
. There is nothing that Console can do what a PC can't do and PC can do better almost always.

yeah i just love all that DRM the consoles have on them.............. oh wait
yeah i just love being forced to install on every console game.......oh wait
yeah i just love the amazing controls keyboard and............HAHAHAHAHAHA- weak sauce
I just love the fact that in 7 years on consoles you would have paid over 2000 dollars to play the same games on pc- and had you pc depreciate every cent spent

pc gaming is dead- now fuck off faggots and if you want to game buy a console- join the elite

This is some quality trolling, and I am now very angry. Grr!

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
For consoles, all games work out of the box without driver hassle and what not.

Getting a console is potentially a lot cheaper.

And there are console exclusives one might want to play.

What other reasons do you need?

Personally, I own an Xbox 360 because I enjoy many of the Live Arcade exclusive games. As a side effect, I also get to play the occasional Dark Souls.

I also have a decent PC, but I honestly use it for gaming less than my console. If I was into the modern AAA games, though, I guess I'd use my PC a lot more.

tennishero

Novice
i lamented the loss of the amiga scene

its been a long sad decade without the scene

xbox live hides the indie scene very well

microsoft are faggots- microsoft are gold diggers
microsoft dont have any idea of what to do now

HOWEVER, they dont realise the indie scene they cultivated and just how amazing it actually is

it is worth buying an xbox for XBOX INDIE

for 80 microsoft points (about 60 cents) you get awesome games

i cant empahsis how AMAZING the xbox indie scene is

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I don't own any consoles and I only own one handheld which I never play, but I just wanted to state something for the record:

In the last 5 years console and handheld exclusives have been far better than PC exclusives in certain genres (including the RPG genre)

If you disagree you're probably either a) in denial or b) a graphics / art direction whore.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guess i'm not a gamer.

I care more about my honor than games.

nihil

Augur
PorkaMorka said:
In the last 5 years console and handheld exclusives have been far better than PC exclusives in certain genres (including the RPG genre)

I don't know about that. If you count action RPGs, and count Dark Souls as an ARPG, that's one, but mention a few other console exclusive RPGs that are better than say, Knights of the Chalice and Frayed Knights.

For other kinds of games, though, XBLA (and to some degree PSN) has quite a few titles really worth playing. More than Steam, probably.

Captain Shrek

Exclusives is not a criterion to judge the quality or power of ports. Quality and the power of ports are the ONLY criteria to judge the quality or power of ports.

nihil

Augur
Captain Shrek said:
Exclusives is not a criterion to judge the quality or power of ports. Quality and the power of ports are the ONLY criteria to judge the quality or power of ports.

What is that? Some brainwashing mantra?

I thought we were discussing the reasons (versus absence of reasons) to get a console. Exclusives is (potentially) a reason to get a console.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
nihil said:
PorkaMorka said:

I don't know about that. If you count action RPGs, and count Dark Souls as an ARPG, that's one, but mention a few other console exclusive RPGs that are better than say, Knights of the Chalice and Frayed Knights.

For other kinds of games, though, XBLA (and to some degree PSN) has quite a few titles really worth playing. More than Steam, probably.

I can't name any console exclusives that are better than KOTC, but

a) KOTC doesn't require a gaming PC, it will run on whatever cheap machine you were going to use for the internet.

b) KOTC is only one game.

Notable console/handheld exclusive RPGs of the last 5 years include:

Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Valkryia Chronicles 1-2, All those Etrian Odyssey games, Dark Spire, SMT: Strange Journey and SMT: Devil Survivor, Fire Emblems.

The list could go on and on (and on). Especially if I was actually someone who followed console releases.

As far as Frayed Knights goes, I'm not convinced that it has much to offer over console/handheld games in the same genre. They can offer better interface and higher difficulty, while Frayed Knights is one of the few WRPGs that actually has worse art design than Japanese games.

DatsTrueDuude

Barely Literate
Captain Shrek said:
St. Toxic said:
In my opinion, some games make more sense on consoles than the PC.

1320465624001.jpg

I guess you could read my post to find out.

EDIT: And another thing. If I ever get kids, it's not like I'm going to buy them a monster pc to play their tasteless popamole games on, more likely I'll just buy them a console on the cheap. Naturally I would encourage an interest in pc games with some artistic merit, but I doubt good taste is in the genes.

LOL I guess the ones that were ported pporly to PC fit better in the console space^^

Im a PC user mayself, but not a PC Elitist... elitists make me laugh XD like this one:
http://hackerbot.net/106-sexy-gamer-coolness-index-sgci

Funny^^ =P

Anyways... consoles are more convenience, PC is more performance and customization.
Different tastes :)

Declinator

Arbiter
PorkaMorka said:

And in certain genres like strategy PC is overwhelming. What other genres do you claim consoles/handhelds have?

Notable console/handheld exclusive RPGs of the last 5 years include:

Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Valkryia Chronicles 1-2, All those Etrian Odyssey games, Dark Spire, SMT: Strange Journey and SMT: Devil Survivor, Fire Emblems.

You know there is a PC port of Dark Souls, right? And you can play pretty much every handheld exclusive on PC though the ways to do that may be slightly on the hazy side of legality. The fact is, however, that you can play those games on PC and of the ones you listed most are playable on PC as far as I know.

According to wikipedia there has only been one new Fire Emblem in the last five years anyway. (remakes obviously do not count.)

EDIT: Sorry my bad. Guess I should check the dates once in a while but at least I wasn't the one who raised the thread.

Last edited:

PorkaMorka

Arcane
stupidity about a post from December 2011

:necro:

That post is 1 year and 11 months old and the situation has changed since then. I don't remember what was going on 2 years ago, but I think that some newer consoles were not even out yet or if they were out, they had not yet had time to become clear failures.

I acknowledge that the console scene has declined since then, while the PC scene may possibly incline if some kickstarters come through.

Otherwise, I don't care to respond to a time sensitive post that is two years old.

You know there is a PC port of Dark Souls, right?

Not when I made the post you are quoting there wasn't.

According to wikipedia there has only been one new Fire Emblem in the last five years anyway.(remakes obviously do not count.)

FE12 doesn't really count as a remake, they gave it the deluxe treatment. They never released it outside Japan though, so you'd have to play the fan translation, which is complete.

DemonKing

Arcane
I've never owned a console despite being tempted by some exclusive titles I've heard good things about from time to time.

That may change as my oldest son gets on a bit (he's 5 and has played Lego Batman with me on PC but is already aware that "consoles" exist). I guess if this generation lasts as long as the last one we'll probably be buying one or the other of them at some stage. I can envisage that some co-op games in particular would be good fun to play sitting on the couch with my boys (although the youngest is only 1 so it'll be a while before he's ready to play).

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Some games are better played with keyboard and mouse.

Some games are better played with a controller.

Consoles may be retarded, but at least I don't have to deal with DRM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom