Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Malpercio

Arcane
Also, as others have said, the main cast of friends are the dangerous combination of uninteresting and lacking in chemistry. About the only thing that seems to keep them together is their connection to the phantom thieves and the MC. Beyond that, it feels as though they only barely tolerate one-another's presence, with a majority of their interactions consisting of complaining about their current situation, mocking one-another for little-to-no reason (Morgana is the worst offender, which contributes greatly to him being such a loathsome character), and coming up with excuses to avoid having to interact with one-another. To put it bluntly, they just don't gel together like the Scoobies or the SEES crew did.

I think the devs meant for the players to find Morgana's shitting on Ryuji funny because he's the designated bro character, but it fails and he just comes off as a massive cunt. It's even more infuriating because when Ryuji tells him to fuck off he throws a tantrum. It feels massively tone-deaf.

I don't think this is a problem unique to P5 tho', P3 and 4 and suffered from the same thing at times, though the characters generally felt closer.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I think the devs meant for the players to find Morgana's shitting on Ryuji funny because he's the designated bro character, but it fails and he just comes off as a massive cunt. It's even more infuriating because when Ryuji tells him to fuck off he throws a tantrum. It feels massively tone-deaf.

I don't think this is a problem unique to P5 tho', P3 and 4 and suffered from the same thing at times, though the characters generally felt closer.
Sure, and I will give the game kudos in that it dramatically tones down the tone-deaf harem anime physical humor that the other two games had (where the male characters would regularly be beaten and humiliated by the female characters, often for little-to-no good reason). The issue is that when it is done in P5, it comes off as less "Comic relief arguing", and more just "These people can barely function as a group" arguing.

That and yeah, Morgana's mocking of Ryuji is so constant and relentless that it stops being funny at around the three hour mark and just becomes mean-spirited. I dunno if this was due to a spotty translation or something, but the language he uses (when other characters miss with an attack, he'll openly express concern for their safety, when Ryuji does it, he just sighs and calls him pathetic) makes him look less like a friend poking fun at another friend for doing something stupid, and more like a smarmy dickhead trying to derive amusement from mocking someone's genuine desire to help.

lightbane

Arcane
Reminds me of the fairy from Ni no Kuni, who was supposed to be a "mentor figure" yet it comes out as an asshat, who constantly belittles the "beta male attitude" from the protagonist, demands him to try harder while doing very little himself, underestimates him all the time, insults him or outright lies for no reason other than because he was bored.
Perhaps it's a translation thing, or some of the writers has issues. Anyway, I expect there will be one or two "enhanced" editions plus animes, if P3 and P4 are to be followed.

I agree game is bloated with VN aspect much more then before but still... You guy complaying about some third rate issue like if P5 was a great disappointment o something.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wow. Persona 5 was the greatest thing ever and now all of a sudden it's shit. A truly codexian game.

I'm in the 4th dungeon and loves every bit so far except for the fact it is a bit too easy.

Hyperion

Arcane
I don't know if it's being universally considered shit, but isn't it typical to bitch about the negatives once the honeymoon period is over?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It's not our fault that people jumped the gun into saying it was the greatest thing ever. People should hold their tongue rather than praising a game after playing for a couple of hours.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Yall fell for the weeb hype. Even those of you who "enjoyed it" really didn't. That's the kind of control animu has on people. It's really one of the most degenerate things on this planet and needs to be banned. Atlus has always been trash, jrpgs have always been mostly trash, anime has ALWAYS been trash. You combine these things you get one of the worst experiences of a lifetime. How does it feel to play the wet dream of a bunch of perverted gook developers who make games more shallow than 90% of the trash created with RPG Maker VX? How does it feel to know that you could have used that $60 for something that will actually engage you? Or your rent/mortage/wagecuck lifestyle? Instead you decided to waste your money on some pathetic wish fulfilment simulator and you're worse off because of it.

"Oh but the music is good", fuck off. Pirate the ost and be done with it.

"Oh but the story is good", no it's fucking not. Stop deluding yourself. Go read a fucking book or something god damn.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. And anyone who responds to this post (other than to click that MOTHERFUCKING LIKE BUTTON) is a faggot.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Yall fell for the weeb hype. Even those of you who "enjoyed it" really didn't. That's the kind of control animu has on people. It's really one of the most degenerate things on this planet and needs to be banned. Atlus has always been trash, jrpgs have always been mostly trash, anime has ALWAYS been trash. You combine these things you get one of the worst experiences of a lifetime. How does it feel to play the wet dream of a bunch of perverted gook developers who make games more shallow than 90% of the trash created with RPG Maker VX? How does it feel to know that you could have used that $60 for something that will actually engage you? Or your rent/mortage/wagecuck lifestyle? Instead you decided to waste your money on some pathetic wish fulfilment simulator and you're worse off because of it.

"Oh but the music is good", fuck off. Pirate the ost and be done with it.

"Oh but the story is good", no it's fucking not. Stop deluding yourself. Go read a fucking book or something god damn.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. And anyone who responds to this post (other than to click that MOTHERFUCKING LIKE BUTTON) is a faggot.
And could you enlighten us which games do you deem worthy of your time?

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
Or I spent $60 and in exchange received 110 hours of a stylish, and fun storyfag RPG that I highly enjoyed regardless of the fact it has shallower combat than mainline SMT? This is also coming from someone who doesn't watch anime, and has no desire to do so.

In your eyes, I would be a better person if that $60 went towards something either boring, or another hobby that only you deem worthy? Would I be accepted in the arms of St. Peter if I went and spent that same $60 on a 2 hour movie with a similarly shitty plot? Fuck off, nerd.

Using your logic of piracy, if I stole the game it would be OK just so long as I don't pay for it?

The "go read a book!" logic tends to fall apart when you actually acknowledge the fact that games are interactive. Also, most books have the same shit, derivative plots as games. But because it's on paper with no pictures it's somehow a more legitimate source of entertainment? You sound like Roger Ebert. Go get throat cancer too, pussy.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Persona 5 has its flaws, and clearly is a lesser title (imo) compared to mainline SMT, but it's still a very good game; easily the best title of the year. It was well worth the hype for Persona game.

My only complaint is a time investment need to finish this... ~ 100h with my tempo of max few hours per week + time for repeating shit after failures... Playing few hours a day in Persona 4 with save states made me complete it in 1,5 month, now it will last a year if it's really even longer then P4 lol.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Or I spent $60 and in exchange received 110 hours of a stylish, and fun storyfag RPG that I highly enjoyed regardless of the fact it has shallower combat than mainline SMT? This is also coming from someone who doesn't watch anime, and has no desire to do so.

In your eyes, I would be a better person if that $60 went towards something either boring, or another hobby that only you deem worthy? Would I be accepted in the arms of St. Peter if I went and spent that same $60 on a 2 hour movie with a similarly shitty plot? Fuck off, nerd.

Using your logic of piracy, if I stole the game it would be OK just so long as I don't pay for it?

The "go read a book!" logic tends to fall apart when you actually acknowledge the fact that games are interactive. Also, most books have the same shit, derivative plots as games. But because it's on paper with no pictures it's somehow a more legitimate source of entertainment? You sound like Roger Ebert. Go get throat cancer too, pussy.

Weebs actually believe this

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
The game is better than Persona 4 in every regard but story. It is clear progression for the series and was extremely good. I like P4 more, but P5 is absolutely better.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
frci_quickmemo+_2017-06-27-13-02-47-1.png

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I used Trumpeter and Black Frost around then along with whatever the highest persona I could fuse with the elephant moon persona that learned repel phys.

Hyperion

Arcane
Shido's Palace has lots of good personas for you to capture, then fuse if you're willing to spend the time. Capturing some Oberons, Titanias, King Frosts, Baphomets, and Forneuses (Fornei?) will allow you to get a good amount of the top tier Personas assuming your Confidants are maxed.

About halfway through, I ended up with Michael for single target phys + buffs, Odin with Repel Phys, and Elec boost for massive Electric damage, Black Frost for massive Cold (he was even better than a Satan I made at the very end), Alice for Curse, a shitty Moloch for Fire and Pulinpa, Sandalphon for heals and support, and a Zaou-Gongen with Sniper, Cripple, and Riot Gun for instantly wiping out every trash encounter that wasn't immune to Guns.

After Shido's Palace, and you get to the true endgame you can create a Yoshitsune who turns Joker into a walking God.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bros, any advice on which personas are best/useful for endgame? (I'm in Shido's palace).

Literally anything that Nulls or Repels Physical, if you don't have that already. Every other slot can be filled with random shit you picked up in his Palace - or the ones before - to cover the rest of the elements and help with knockdowns. Or they could be left empty. It really doesn't matter much.

In Sae's Palace you can, for instance, pick up a Rangda, which not only allows you to auto-attack your way through 2/3 of the Arena fights in that Palace and eat a Snickers while you wait for the battle credits, but also allows you do that with a huge number of bosses that come afterwards, whether in Palaces or Mementos. Add in its natural Null Curse and you should be good to eat your way through a whole packet on that boat.
Yeah, I have Rangda and it's p. helpful.

Shido's Palace has lots of good personas for you to capture, then fuse if you're willing to spend the time. Capturing some Oberons, Titanias, King Frosts, Baphomets, and Forneuses (Fornei?) will allow you to get a good amount of the top tier Personas assuming your Confidants are maxed.

About halfway through, I ended up with Michael for single target phys + buffs, Odin with Repel Phys, and Elec boost for massive Electric damage, Black Frost for massive Cold (he was even better than a Satan I made at the very end), Alice for Curse, a shitty Moloch for Fire and Pulinpa, Sandalphon for heals and support, and a Zaou-Gongen with Sniper, Cripple, and Riot Gun for instantly wiping out every trash encounter that wasn't immune to Guns.

After Shido's Palace, and you get to the true endgame you can create a Yoshitsune who turns Joker into a walking God.
Any prerequisites for Yoshitsune?

Hyperion

Arcane
Yoshitsune can't be made until 12/24 because Futsunushi is required to fuse him. You can probably already see his fusion on the 3+ persona fusion tab next time you're in the Velvet Room.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-invincible-killing-machine-in-persona-5.aspx

This is one example of a method to make a nigh invincible Yoshitsune. Mine differed slightly and was probably a bit cheaper, since I had some Personas with Absorption / Repel skills already registered. Still ended up costing me close to a million Yen when all was said and done - and I fucked up and accidentally inherited Absorb Phys instead of Psy....

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I feel sorry for you and anyone else that is still under the delusional that Persona 5 is a good RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom