Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

luinthoron

Learned
More questions and Gollop's answers from the comments section, as well as from the comments for the latest update:
Q: Is there an educated guess about the possible system requirements of Phoenix Point?
JG: Not yet, but we will provide as many configuration options as possible to help with performance. The requirements are certainly not going to be very demanding.
Q: Any chance of a poster of the behemoth as a reward?
JG: A few people have asked for this image as a poster! We will see.
Q: I do miss being able to pickup items from fallen comrades/aliens as per original X-COM so I hope this becomes an option as it can be a real game changer in certain situations.
JG: Yes, you will be able to pick up items on the battlefield, or dropped by others.
JG: We are aiming for the quality of modern XCOMs, minus all the cutscenes. Also, a dollar goes 3 times further in Bulgaria as it does in the USA.
Q: I would expect combating the spread of the microbial mist will be just as - or potentially even more important than simply combating the mutants head on in terms of long-term success. How will the player be able to do this?
JG: I can't reveal too much about this - but there will be ways to combat the mist both on the strategic level and in battles.
JG: There will be a tutorial in-game, but there will be an option to skip it.
Q: I was wondering, can we save our favourite squad-mates to use on future playthroughs? Either from a palette pool or for a NG+?
JG: Yes.
Q: How would you guys decribe the difficulty compared to the original xcom?
JG: The difficulty will be comparable, plus there will be an iron man mode. We are aiming for the difficulty curve to be more of a consistent upward gradient.

Q: So if all the immortalisation slots sell out we could potentially have over 25 factions in the game? I'm sure everyone paying that amount would chose to be a faction leader.
JG: These are haven leaders, not faction leaders. There are currently 3 factions planned for the game, but there are also a large number of independent havens. The big factions will by trying to recruit those independent havens, or conquer them. Some of these havens might be well developed, others very small.
Q: Would the haven leader being psychic be within the bounds of game world plausibility? And if so is there an upper bound to psychic power? I'm wondering if I can afford immortality and I have a concept for a haven where the leader's psychic powers are what keeps the mist at bay.
JG: I can't answer this definitively right now. There are psychic powers in the game of a sort, but they are only possessed by aliens or humans mutated by the alien virus. Your haven leader could be a mutant - this is entirely possible.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmmmmmmm, I also smell incline but I also hope that the microbial mist will not be another time mechanic in tactical combat.
I can endure it in 1-2 mission types but anything more is big no for me. nu X-Com 2 bored me with that enough.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Hmmmmmmm, I also smell incline but I also hope that the microbial mist will not be another time mechanic in tactical combat.
I can endure it in 1-2 mission types but anything more is big no for me. nu X-Com 2 bored me with that enough.

I hope there will be actually missions in which the mist encroaches the map/team, especially if it adds to fog of war. Proper horror-esque mission. Either you have countermeasures or you're quick.. or shit out of luck.

Perkel

Arcane
nzhaJrF.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point?update=366#updates

Vehicles and Viruses
POSTED: 05/05/2017

Today’s new story is a short snippet :

The curator, by Thomas Turnbull-Ross

If you think Phoenix Point is based entirely on fiction, then these links will give you something to ponder:

Ancient microbes revealed by melting permafrost are a real threat.

The Pandoravirus really does exist - and it’s a total mystery.

If you want some more detailed background on Phoenix Point

this Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview from last year is still informative.

Vehicle Design
Borislav and Svetoslav had created our first vehicle design. This is an armored car based on a New Jericho design. It can transport 8 soldiers comfortably, and has one manned gun turret.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Fe1b607a253f8c31acc03221a845fc4f5c0d517e2%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493993871

Some More Questions Answered
How will the shooting work? Will it have more realistic ballistics simulation?

Currently we have a system similar to modern XCOMs. We will soon implement and test a more simulated ballistics system, but we have to solve some interface/feedback issues. The player needs to have a some idea of what kind of damage might be expected from a particular position. The cover system will obviously be different, and it also needs to integrate with the hit location system. We have a plan - but we don’t know how well it works yet.

How will research work? Will there be a UFOpedia like classic X-COM?

Research will be based on a tech tree which will be revealed as the game is played. Each of the factions possesses some unique tech at the start of the game, and they will engage in their own research and development. You can acquire their tech, and there will be some unique options for the player based on combined tech from two or more factions. There will be a UFOpedia style database, for sure.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Could any fig backers here drop Gollop a question about mod support?
He already said base game will not have it but they look into adding it as a stretch goal or after release update. Since they posted first two stretch goals I guess it might be a after release update if game sells well enough.

Grif

Learned
If the game really implements ballistics and cover well, this will be an instant incline and the true sequel X-Com: Apocalypse deserved.

One can hope, I suppose.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Phoenix Point back-story sounds like a combination of Smilla's Sense of Snow, At the Mountain of Madness and The Thing.

The Fish

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/user/JulianGollop

More on modding:

We do understand all the issues with modding, and have considered it in depth. However, it's impossible to give a definitive answer on when modding will be available. A fair amount of documentation needs to be created, plus integration with Steam workshop API, testing, etc.

Some questions answered but mostly things already covered:

1: How will ballistics work? Julian said the game would have actual modeling for stray shots rather than XCOM's hit/miss and that's it, but the tactical gameplay looks more similar to XCOM remakes rather than the originals, so I'm wondering how he would make it work.

Currently we have a system similar to modern XCOMs. We will soon implement and test a more simulated ballistics system, but we have to solve some interface/feedback issues. The player needs to have a some idea of what kind of damage might be expected from a particular position. The cover system will obviously be different, and it also needs to integrate with the hit location system. We have a plan - but we don’t know how well it works yet.

2: Will there be neutral human forces, like Xenonauts had?

The most common situation would be sending a squad to a haven to fight off an alien attack alongside the defenders of the haven, if they have any left by the time you get there. There can be multiple forces in battle, some of which may be allied with each other.

3: How will research work? Will there be a UFOpedia like classic X-COM?

Research will be based on a tech tree which will be revealed as the game is played. Each of the factions possesses some unique tech at the start of the game, and they will engage in their own research and development. You can acquire their tech, and there will be some unique options for the player based on combined tech from two or more factions. There will be a UFOpedia style interface, for sure.

4: How will stealth work? Aside from silenced weapons like the crossbow, are there any other mechanics?

We have a design for this, although it is not currently implemented or tested. The system is based on detection ranges based on a character’s perception attribute modified by equipment and abilities. Various abilities and tech may reduce those ranges. You will be able to see detection ranges for known enemies. Normally, using a weapon will make a character spotted, but stealth weapons negate this.

5: Is there any chance of seeing someone playing a build of the game before the campaign ends? Some folks are willing to back only after they've seen gameplay "in the wild," so to speak, as opposed to scripted in-game footage.

We will be demonstrating some game play before the end of the campaign, once we get the monster working.

5: How will insanity and/or trauma work? Is it just stuff like confusion, or debuffs to aim, or will there be more insidious effects, like possibly turning over to the enemy? And how long will it last? Will negative insanity effects last a few turns in battle, a few missions, a few days of Geoscape time, or will the only way to remove them be researched tech?

We haven’t yet decided what the effects of mental trauma are going to be, but I would like to implement several ‘afflictions’ which operate like negative, passive abilities. Since I have been playing ‘ArkHam Horror the Card Game’ I have a lot of inspiration to draw on.

6: How will cosmetic customization work? After all, can't fight Lovecraftian beasties without the proper fashion! I assume from the Fig video we'll have choices of clothes, facial hair, accessories like eyepatches, and so on, but anything else, like tattoos, or gun decorations (such as the scrap of kill-marking paper)?

Our intention is to implement a system similar to XCOM 2, resources permitting, including choice of clothing, facial hair, tattoos and scars. One major difference is that our armour system is component based. Different parts of the body may be protected by different armour elements (as it was in X-COM Apocalypse). There may be fully integrated armour suits, or separate elements such as helmets, body armour, leg armour, etc. that you can mix and match. Each faction has its own unique style of clothing and facial decorations.

7: How dynamic is the world? And while you can't reveal too much about the alien agenda, can you say anything about the timeframe for the game? For instance, in XCOM 2, there was a countdown timer that required the player to try and finish the game quickly. Will anything like that be present in Phoenix Point?

The world is very dynamic as each faction, including the aliens, is pursuing its own agenda. There is an event which will end the game but I can’t say anything about it for now. There won’t be an abstract timer like in XCOM 2. There are various ways that you can frustrate the alien agenda, as well as several potential endings.

8: What sort of variety in terms of environments can we expect? As a "Thing" fan I'm gutted that there is no permafrost - no missions in the icy south pole.

There will be different biomes including some icy ones. This is not yet fully decided.

9: Should we expect a day-night cycle with consequences also on the gameplay (easier to stealth etc and of course not applicable to interiors?)

Battles can occur at any time of the day, and this will be reflected in the battle environment. If we implement our evasion/detection system as planned, then darkness will have an effect - as well as the alien mist.

10: Does light level play a part in gameplay?

See 9.

11:Can we expect any weather (rain, fog, etc) to affect tactical or strategy dimension?

I am not sure about this yet. The light level will have an effect for sure.

12: From /u/DrKersh

, what are the plans on modding? Will modding support be a post-release update, since it doesn't seem to be a stretch goal?

At the moment we are inclining towards post-release modding support - although the game will be built with this in mind from the beginning.

13: From /u/ImpeccableMithril

, "Is it possible for our soldiers to be captured by opposing human factions in battle/or for the aliens to assimilate them into their army?"

Than would be telling.

14: From /u/TheColorofHeartache

: Will we be able to recruit/train psi operatives? (And if so, how different is a psi operative to a typical solider)

There are no psi-operatives. Aliens and human mutants will possess some mental powers, but don’t expect something like in X-COM/XCOM. I can't reveal more because it would spoil the story.

15: From same user: Does soldier advancement work more like the classic x-com (better stats) or the x-com remake (better stats and new abilities with every level).

It’s a bit more like the XCOM remake, in that there are a set of abilities that can be acquired through battle experience or training, but there will be more flexibility and no fixed level cap or limit on soldier improvement (although it gets slower and more difficult).

16: What are the estimated system requirements?

I am not sure yet, but they won’t be too onerous, and there will plenty of options to optimise performance.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
And just in case that someone didn't saw it, one of the main writers is Jonas Kyratzes, who created "The Talos Principle" and "The sea will claim everything"

Or at least he is part of the team that is writing the lore stories that they are posting.

Last edited:

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Steam workshop is amazing, one click and the mod is installed and downloaded at whatever speed you have.

No more browsing for hours through nexusmods, select a server and then see how the download speed is 500kb, then locate the zip, read the manual, look the folder, unzip, etc etc.

GOG should have as a priority to offer something similar and compatible.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Is this a "maybe there will maybe there won't" hedge or a "yes, there will be mod support at some point, we just can't say when at this stage"

- 12: From /u/DrKersh , what are the plans on modding? Will modding support be a post-release update, since it doesn't seem to be a stretch goal?
- At the moment we are inclining towards post-release modding support - although the game will be built with this in mind from the beginning.

decaf

Learned
I'm leery about workshop. There's subscriptions and autoupdates which might bork the game, you don't know exactly what you've downloaded (mysterious af), and the creator might throw a shitfit and delete the mod, leaving you with nothing.

Althorion

Learned
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought that once-downloaded mod stays downloaded even if it is deleted from Workshop? And if so, it isn’t really any different than any other means of getting mods—those too can stop working after updating the game, you still know nothing about what you are downloading (be serious here—how many people actually disassemble stuff to its basics, analyze all the code etc.) and the mod itself can still disappear from the net.

luinthoron

Learned
I'm leery about workshop. There's subscriptions and autoupdates which might bork the game, you don't know exactly what you've downloaded (mysterious af), and the creator might throw a shitfit and delete the mod, leaving you with nothing.
There's often also a non-workshop version around for those who don't want to use it, and I'm sure this will be pretty much the rule in the case of Phoenix Point as GOG will also be an option here in addition to Steam.

luinthoron

Learned
Not a fan of autoupdated mods. They may break the game or change something you don't want.
I admit I have seen cases like this, but more often it seems to be that game updates break the mods, so automatic updates can be quite helpful to get things running again without having to find updates for all your mods yourself. In the end, both ways have their upsides and downsides - a solution might be to have an option to disable automatic updates so you could manually approve any downloads if you want to.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Not a fan of autoupdated mods. They may break the game or change something you don't want.
I admit I have seen cases like this, but more often it seems to be that game updates break the mods, so automatic updates can be quite helpful to get things running again without having to find updates for all your mods yourself. In the end, both ways have their upsides and downsides - a solution might be to have an option to disable automatic updates so you could manually approve any downloads if you want to.

Better than that is what paradox does, when an update is released, they move the old version to a beta branch, so you can always select which version to play, even the ones from years ago.

500px-Steam_Betas_tab.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom