Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Mustawd

Why is that guy wearing football shoulder pads?

c2897921098ee3cace18a520fbe7c9df--american-football-geek-art.jpg
stock-photo-american-football-player-standing-shirtless-with-shoulder-pads-8571058.jpg

PanteraNera

Arcane
Why is that guy wearing football shoulder pads?

c2897921098ee3cace18a520fbe7c9df--american-football-geek-art.jpg
stock-photo-american-football-player-standing-shirtless-with-shoulder-pads-8571058.jpg
This is like the 148% distillation of genericity and modern military shooters... Can we go back to the 'wild west' / 'mad max' outfits?

To be frank, I kinda feared that when they showed new New Jericho. A bunch of more or lese generic high-tech / sci-fi soldiers.

In the original pitch/concepts:
New Jericho looked like grim scavengers / post-apocalyptic survivors
Synedrion was sleek high-tech
Anu was something completely else, cultist / religious and all the mutation stuff, tribal elements
PP wasn't shown much, you could only assume that the soldiers in the Prototype were PP, which I for one did. In the Prototype they looked also like post apocalyptic survivors with some high-tech (exo-suit, shoulder-mounted rocket launcher)

So far it looks like we are getting 3 factions that all are high-tech looking and kinda same looking (PP, New Jericho and Synedrion). From an artistic/visual view-point I think that is a big missed opportunity, I liked the original concepts/direction way more. They all seemed to be unique and different from each other. Also it gave the game more of an "horror" / "survival" aspect, it felt visually grim, that humanity is struggling to overcome PV (the Pandora Virus). Now we get "generic" high-tech-soldiers with slightly different designs and colors that fight Mutants :( .

I am curious what Anu will look like, cause right now they would kinda look out of place with the other three factions looking so similar.

It's really a shame, as I can clearly see that the artist that are doing this stuff are talented!

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's actually not a bad look "per se" but I think they couldn't have imagined a more generic, uninspired, dull, boring and bland one. They nailed it with the original concept and, for some obscure reason, they trashed it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
PanteraNera you dog, even if the game camera were just locked in that position and they used paperdolls for targeting, it would be better than the nuCom style camera =(

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'd quite like it if we had more control with overwatch.

I find it incredibly annoying when you get soldiers who "overkill" an enemy unit in overwatch or fire at something unimportant/distant with a low hit chance and leave a dangerous close unit untouched due to unit turn order.
Phantom Doctrine allows you to pick from circular overwatch or area/cone overwatch - I believe you can overwatch specific targets as well.
Better still would be to restore player control to a friendly unit when it's overwatch state is triggered by the enemy - then we could choose to fire or save the overwatch attack for later in the round.

This doesn't bother me in classic xcom as reaction fire is dependant on the reaction stat and time units.
It's only a problem in xcom (2012) and similar games.

On an unrelated note - I've been playing Piratez recently and I'd like to have the ability to not do any overwatch fire at all but I don't see any toggle for this.
Most of the early guns have small clips plus there's limited carrying capacity so I can't waste bullets on low hit chance shots. Is that even possible in openXCOM?

Tried Templar battleforge which has an interesting overwatch system covering a small area around a selected point, the game mechanism isn't nearly as deep as the original UFO : Ennemy unknown, still, that feature is nice.

Generally, i feel (know ?) like the vast majority of modern games focus so much on the fancy graphic engines they don't have time to come up with fancy / new / amazing gameplay.

3D is slowly killing originality and depth.

Still, hoping this one proves me wrong, the pitch (x-com meets fallout) is appealing, almost too good to be true.

Israfael

Arcane
Installed openxcom on my pda (I did not know someone ported it in a proper way so that kb and mouse is no longer required to play), had this situation a few days ago. Hopefully this kind of CHOICE (left green X actually has two UFOs in it - a battleship and plus-shaped scout ship) will be available in PP instead of 'choose your adventure: X or Y' of nuxcom

ArchAngel

Arcane
if Phantom Doctrine has multiple missions and going ons on its global map and that game is trying to be closer to nuXcom, I sure hope PP can do it even better.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is funny too is that the game can be played for a pittance. So fuck everyone buying the game for full price.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
What is funny too is that the game can be played for a pittance. So fuck everyone buying the game for full price.

Those playing via XBox Game Pass are technically only renting the game. They can only play for as long as they subscribe, or as long as the game remains in the Game Pass library. It's much the same as watching a movie on Netflix. They still have many people watching at the cinema or buying the DVD/Bluray.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know how it works. Anyway, Microsoft must have offered a great sum of cash.

luinthoron

Learned
What a disappointment... I came here to feast on the rage over a xbox release announcement and there's nothing at all. Even their Facebook page has more, even if it's mostly just one very vocal asshole. Doesn't feel like the Codex at all here... :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom