Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Man, I can live without TU's (I don't want to, but long war shows I can), but I really don't know if I can pledge to 4 man squad game.

It's especially sad, because in apoc, they figured out how to make it easy to handle large squads (the solution: box select for movement and probably firing too but I never used that). But maybe Gollop has excised that game from his memory.

Those T-shirts look p nice, shame you have to pledge 250 dollars minimum to get one.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I sent them an email to complain how I don't have early access to the campaign and they gave it to me :D
I pledged to the campaign :)

Destroid

Arcane
cRYJO.png

I can relate to people wanting a two action point system but I cannot understand why they would want it.
What I find to be the time unit based system's biggest drawback is book-keeping, excessive book-keeping which is nullified by the fact that it is a computer and not a tabletop wargame.

Does the problem arise from having to do calculus with inflated numbers? It is still mostly adding and subtracting. And a scale of 1-100 time units might not even be necessary. 1-10 could be sufficient enough or something in between.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I can relate to people wanting a two action point system but I cannot understand why they would want it.
What I find to be the time unit based system's biggest drawback is book-keeping, excessive book-keeping which is nullified by the fact that it is a computer and not a tabletop wargame.

Does the problem arise from having to do calculus with inflated numbers? It is still mostly adding and subtracting. And a scale of 1-100 time units might not even be necessary. 1-10 could be sufficient enough or something in between.

It's exactly the problem that both Action points and time units alike have (btw.. 2AP is just 2 time units system..)

It is as bad as having 100 units and 10+ tasks to perform per round each with different (not intuitive) TU price each (not that having a lot of options is bad, but once you need to calculate all combinations it becomes tedious) . One is oversimplifying, second one is over-complicating.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
I really don't get this problem - its solution is very trivial. If TUs are too hard for an average popamoler, the devs can simply add HoMM-3 style of grid highlighting (one color for movement, another for snapshot/ aimed shot etc) or simply add effective TU reservation system like in Pocket UFO (the game would not allow you to spend TU below certain amount if you selected 'reserve auto/reserve aimed/etc'. Dumb people would be dumb regardless of what system is used (and phase action system still uses some sort of granularity measurement for internal purposes anyways, it simply does not allow you to control it)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
About the TU topic of discussion: TUs are not more "simulationist" than the 2-Action system imo. They are awesome for us autists who want to micromanage every little step but they are actually a bit less realistic if you think about it. The 2-Action thing of nuXCOMs at least provides some more possibilities for surprises and mistakes.
I don't think it's more "simulationy" to have for example a dude take 3 steps, turn, shoot, throw a grenade, turn, take 5 steps and then stop. All while everyone else is waiting for him. And yes I know how turns are supposed to be thought of or "imagined", but at least the new system makes that a bit more relatable. You run somewhere, you can't change your mind 5 times during that run.
I'm not against TUs or anything similar, I like these systems, but I'd never call them more realistic - that's my point.

What I would absolutely advocate for though, in terms of realism, is individual/independent INITIATIVE. I never really liked the "us then the enemy" turn order. Always feels very board-gamey.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't mind a fixed number of actions per turn, either. It isn't what makes or breaks a game.
What I find annoying as hell is the "special" thing that an attack ends the turn, possibly wasting the movement.

Destroid

Arcane
About the TU topic of discussion: TUs are not more "simulationist" than the 2-Action system imo. They are awesome for us autists who want to micromanage every little step but they are actually a bit less realistic if you think about it. The 2-Action thing of nuXCOMs at least provides some more possibilities for surprises and mistakes.
I don't think it's more "simulationy" to have for example a dude take 3 steps, turn, shoot, throw a grenade, turn, take 5 steps and then stop. All while everyone else is waiting for him. And yes I know how turns are supposed to be thought of or "imagined", but at least the new system makes that a bit more relatable. You run somewhere, you can't change your mind 5 times during that run.
I'm not against TUs or anything similar, I like these systems, but I'd never call them more realistic - that's my point.

What I would absolutely advocate for though, in terms of realism, is individual/independent INITIATIVE. I never really liked the "us then the enemy" turn order. Always feels very board-gamey.

Frozen Synapse 2 is coming with simultaneous phased based combat, this time featuring a strategic meta layer like xcom.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, simultaneous turns are the way to go "realism-wise" but hard to execute

Israfael

Arcane
They are awesome for us autists who want to micromanage every little step but they are actually a bit less realistic if you think about it. The 2-Action thing of nuXCOMs at least provides some more possibilities for surprises and mistakes.

It's not about any sort of 'realism' per se - system can be as schematic and unreal as anything - it's about two things:

1) The system itself - all its rules should be applied equally and logically to every entity within it. You can't use arbitrary rules and crutches that apply to certain elements of the simulation. For example, pod spawn system in the nu-xcom, total lack of ballistics (except when your bullets/rays meet the cars), free move for aliens when the pod is triggered. In a 'game' there only a player and some sort of bunch of arbitrary rules that limit his actions, in a simulation like x-com every entity has the same rights and possible ways of actions like the player. Game felt so alive (on geoscape level) because of it (as aliens had their own goals, missions and they actively tried to find and exterminate you)

2) Same thing about 'changing mind' (and people usually react fairly quickly to changes in environment) - restricting players' choices for gameplay reasons is the antithesis of a simulation. Do you really understand what it is? Does not seem so, at least looking at it from here.
n terms of realism, is individual/independent INITIATIVE
Should be completely irrelevant, and everything is supposed to happen at the same time, so adding a new arbitrary 'gamey' variable does not serve anything. Furthermore, X-com already has a thing called 'reaction fire' that does the thing you want

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom