Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah that sounds suspicious. if the paths and roads and covers are predefined then basically we will always know the layout of the map, only its "skin" will change. Hm

PrettyDeadman

Yeah that sounds suspicious. if the paths and roads and covers are predefined then basically we will always know the layout of the map, only its "skin" will change. Hm
They are talking about modular building which means that their layout is somehow randomized. So it's not just skins, but doesn't sound super promising either.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I don't really need fully randomized house building as well.
Rather have some predefined elements (like houses) that are arranged procedurally.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Yes that is what XCOM 2 did. But that is different from a defined "map layout" imo. Dunno maybe I get the phrasing wrong

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
It pretty much is the XCOM 2 plot and parcel system. The principals are the same. Buildings and cover and pre-designed and placed in pre-designated areas. It varies from map to map, but nothing is ever left to be truly random (unless it's something that doesn't matter - like if the cover is a box, a barrel or a trashcan).

luinthoron

Learned
For some more variety, it might be a good idea to let the cover script to sometimes leave a spot open as well. And have some additional more randomized cover like XCOM 2 has, not only the always predetermined places.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
There is some randomisation to the placing of props and cover. It's also still a work in progress and not all of the scripts have been added yet.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What do you guys expect? This current generation of developers is not even able to create a game without a scene editor. 80% of the game is already predefined by the development kit. How are they supposed to code procedural generation? Someone probably had the idea that they could switch the instances in the scene on the fly and call that procedural generation. It's not because they want to be mean - it's because they don't know how to do it any other way.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Actually, the original X-COM also used randomly placed presets. It was not full procedural generation either. It is true that this sounds like they put the preset throttle further, but it might just be miscommunication.

luinthoron

Learned
There is some randomisation to the placing of props and cover. It's also still a work in progress and not all of the scripts have been added yet.
Noted. That was actually my initial assumption as well, but the video with the cover bits always in the same spots initially shown highlighted made me worry a bit after watching it again. Knowing this, it certainly looks promising so far, though.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
Indeed, I can understand why. There certainly will be some places were props are static. The script is more to show that the system can randomly generate an assortment of different prop configurations within a given space constraint.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Phoenix Point will be playable at PC Gamer's PC Gamer Weekender event, and Julian Gollop will do a talk about it: http://www.pcgamer.com/get-hands-on-with-x-com-creators-phoenix-point-at-the-pc-gamer-weekender/

Get hands-on with X-Com creator's Phoenix Point at the PC Gamer Weekender

X-Com creator Julian Gollop will bring his new game Phoenix Point to the PC Gamer Weekender at the London Olympia, 17-18 February 2018. Attendees will be able to get hands-on with the game, and Julian himself will be a guest speaker on the Developer Stage on Saturday at the event.

Phoenix Point is Gollop's reinvention of a sub-genre he created. Set on a near-apocalyptic Earth in 2057, you lead a cell of the Phoenix Project, and are tasked with saving the last remnants of humanity from aliens and an enclosing mist that mutates anything it touches. If you loved Firaxis's recent XCOM games, you'll love what the team at Snapshot Games is working on here—come play it in London and see for yourself.

Tickets for the Weekender are available here. Look out for tons more information on playable games and guest speakers on PCGamer.com in the coming weeks.

Any UK or European Codexer planning to go this, I wonder?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
In 2 months eh? I wonder at what percentage of "completion" will the game be at then

luinthoron

Learned
That should be about the time early access is made available to the higher tier backers, so I guess it would be the same pre-alpha version we get. As per the FAQ:
Those who backed during our crowd-funding campaign or who pre-ordered, at the Luxury Digital Edition or higher will receive access to a special pre-alpha build around Q1 of 2018.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
We're actually putting together a demo just for these events and marketing. It will most likely just be a single scripted mission on a crafted map, using a preset team. This is one of the main reasons that we have been focusing on getting one faction polished, so we can use them in the demo. Even though the demo will be more mechanically complete than the rest of the game at this point, it should give a much better impression of the tactical gameplay than the July prototype build.

ArchAngel

Arcane
We're actually putting together a demo just for these events and marketing. It will most likely just be a single scripted mission on a crafted map, using a preset team. This is one of the main reasons that we have been focusing on getting one faction polished, so we can use them in the demo. Even though the demo will be more mechanically complete than the rest of the game at this point, it should give a much better impression of the tactical gameplay than the July prototype build.
I hope you also give that demo to few youtubers and streamers like you did with last one. That would be a good way to keep the hype up.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
We most likely will do.

Pope Amole II must recieve one as well!

Xcom Dwarf Fortress.

Actually, with the latest update this could be made.

f83138305f2dda7b8ca3c6a74a65ed32.jpg

26867.0.png

something like that?

luinthoron

Learned
So basically X-COM meets NetHack? Sounds good to me.

Makes me wonder whether it will similarly allow graphic tiles as well. Nothing wrong with a classic ASCII board, but this would make things much clearer for players, especially beginners.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom